4421 Woodward Ave
Detroit, MI 48201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thewhitney.com/
- Phone: 3138325700x
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Breakfast/Lunch Monday - Friday 8:00am - 2:00pm. High Tea served Monday - Friday at 2:00pm. Dinner: Monday through Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm, Sunday Dinner 4:00pm - 8:00pm Ghostbar open seven days a week at 4:30 Live Entertainment Friday & Saturday 9:30-midnight.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jason Gardner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Info@thewhitney.com
- Private Party Facilities: The Whitney sustains an extensive and impressive résumé for private dining events which includes hosting classically themed weddings, corporate occasions and any number of other, miscellaneous, intimate parties. Private Rooms for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner are available.
- Private Party Contact: Samantha Amiot 3138325700x208
- Entertainment: The Whitney offers live entertainment in The Ghostbar Thursday - Saturday nights. Live pianist nightly and during Sunday brunch.
- Special Events: The Whitney hosts several events each year, The Carnivore Carnival in July and The Haunted Halloween Dinner are annual favorites. Like us on facebook to recieve updates.
A word from The Whitney
The Whitney is Detroit's most Romantic Restaurant. Housed in a historic 52 room 1890's mansion on Woodward Avenue in the heart of Detroit's cultural district. Elegant Sunday Brunch with endless Mimosas Sunday Morning. The Whitney also serves a Luxurious plated Breakfast Monday through Friday. Live Entertainment in The Ghostbar Thursday - Saturday nights. Call for Ghost Hunting Dinners and Special Events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Whitney - Best Restaurants in Detroit ›
The Whitney reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (108)romantic (94)neighborhood gem (57)great for brunch (49)good for groups (33)great for lunch (32)notable wine list (27)fit for foodies (25)scenic view (20)great for outdoor dining (20)late-night find (11)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (5)Show More
- Helped Make Our Night SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014My wife and i celebrated our first anniversary and dinner at the Whitney was a great compliment to the overall evening. Service was really outstanding and food was excellent as well. Will definately return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014The service was poor,food was poor,and we had to hunt down the server to get our check.Last visit
- Delicious BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014We like to go for their Sunday brunch. The food was very good and the pineapple mimosas were utterly delectable! The service provided by Daniel was absolutely outstanding! He made the dining experience even better!Special Features:
- DishonestHappydinerVIPDined on 8/30/20148:00 We were informed that they where out of filet & lobster tail. However, we were told that they were running down the street to get some from another restaurant. Waiter returned to inform us the special was a 14 Oz bone in rib-eye and Alaskan king crab opened table side. The two women in our party ordered the special. What came to the table was about a 7 Oz steak no bone in with a few shreds of king crab on top. We early on had a feeling this restaurant was in trouble with only a few tables seated at 8 pm on as Saturday. We where hungry and concerned that they would not be able to correct the problem so we decided to not say anything. The Whitney home/restaurant is absolutely deserving of a real restaurant with class.
- Wonderful WhitneycaljakeDined on 8/30/2014The Whitney was beautiful when we pulled up. There was a very nice greeting from the valet and the hostess, we were early but they were able to seat us before our reservation time. The wait staff was wonderful and was right on top of everything for our complete dining time. Overall a wonderful experience for our first time there and we would definitely return to enjoy another experience there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lacking old school charmChrisDined on 8/23/2014I have been to The Whitney many times in the past before the most recent owners took over. The Whitney used to have that old school charm, which is what people go for. They used to pull out the chair for the ladies when seated, the menus were in large leather covers, not wrinkled paper ones with oily food stains on them. There used to be a pianist. What we heard was Whitney Houston on the radio playing during dinner. The window we sat near had a nasty layer of dust on the ledge. The valet parking service was rude. The only thing I give the Whitney is 5 stars for the actual meal. It was fabulous, but they are obviously lacking in other areas which is disappointing when I've seen what the Whitney used to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tipical eatery, but with potentialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I would hardly call it fine dining, food wasn't bad but had little to no taste at all, however I have to give a cake chef credit as the cake was the best part of the experience he gets 5 stars. service was awkward and seemed like the attendant had no idea what he was doing. interruptions ever few on how we are doing are unnecessary, just don't think this is what a 5* restaurant should be doing. noise level was beyond irritating, I could not hear my partner with restaurant being half empty. management should take a trip to japan and have a proper restaurant experience, with nose level virtually non existent, even at a coffee shop . I wish to actually hear what my partner is saying and not yell back. 5* for the effort, 2.5*for the executionSpecial Features:
- A Considerate Purveyor of Fine FoodNamutKwu01Dined on 8/21/2014It was a special occasion.We chose the Whitney, where we had hitherto often enjoyeddining, as our preferred location for our small, personal, celebratory dinner. Delightful surprise one was the acknowledgement of our special occasion on the Menu. A cute and charming introduction to the evening's meal. A mixed plate of something called "Starters" was delicious--the Calamari were especially tempting. Beef Wellington with heritage carrots (the bottom of the pastry was little under-cooked) and a lovely 'lite' Crème Brule. A lovely bottle of Chilean Merlot (would have preferred same producer's Carmenere) and a complimentary glass of Port (Californian?). A lovely evening the service was excellent and our server--she was delightfully cute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special place for all occasionsJanetDined on 8/19/2014Alright, so I last was at the Whitney with a girlfriend and it was just to talk and relax and have a fine meal. But when I tell other people about the restaurant, I never fail to tell them about this wonderful historic residence, how comprehensive the menu is and how much I enjoy the food (oh my, especially the meats), and how attentive the staff always is. It's the perfect place for a romantic evening out, yes, but don't hesitate to go there if you're heading out with a group of colleagues, or just having dinner with a friend to catch up, or - and I've done this - you simply find yourself in the area at dinner time and you want to treat yourself right!Special Features:
- Expectation metHappycamperDined on 8/18/2014This was my second time dining in at the restuarant. The food was cooked to perfection, the service was professional and the setting was very comfortable. I would definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014Everything about the experience was just average. Hadn't been to the Whitney in many years and was expecting more. The fact that only 4 other tables were occupied may be telling.Special Features:
- Great BrunchNonaDined on 8/17/2014I took my mom to Sunday brunch for her birthday. Beautiful setting helped to make this really feel like a special occasion. Love the bottomless mimosasSpecial Features:
- Brunch with my 8 Year Old!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014I took my 8 year old daughter to the Whitney as I am very familiar with it and thought this would be a special outing for us. I knew she would appreciate all of the grandeur of mansion and appreciates all things "fancy". I'm writing this review to share that although I wouldn't call this a family restaurant, it was very appropriate for her. They treated her so well and could tell it was a special day for her. She wore a beautiful dress and the pianist played a couple of songs from the Disney movie "Frozen" for her and two other little girls who were dining with their family. The Sunday brunch worked for her because she loved the red velvet pancakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Third time going here and it's been the same every time. Excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- barblfDined on 8/16/2014We went to the Whitney to celebrate our anniversary. Our waiter, Daniel, was very friendly and attentive, but not overly so. My filet was excellent - tender and flavorful. The building itself is beautiful. Being right next to front windows, we could watch all the people walking by on the street, stopping to take pictures of the place. The meal ended on a very nice note when our waiter gave us glasses of champagne in honor of the anniversary.Special Features:
- Great AtmosphereJayLivoniaDined on 8/16/2014Enjoyed the ambiance of the Whitney, but the food was more than lacking. Our "Medium" filet had absolutely no pink whatsoever, and the "Award-Winning" Carrot Cake was probably the worst I've ever had. Much to be desired food wise.Special Features:
- The Charming WhitneyDang123Dined on 8/13/2014This is a beautiful, historic house that makes for a wonderful escape for any meal. We had a wonderful time and the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Dinner at the WhitneyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Twice in a week!!! Awesome food service, and atmosphere!! My favorite place to go! Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Best brunch!SreveretDined on 8/3/2014Food is always amazing. Our server David was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brunch aroundbigeaterDined on 8/3/2014Beautiful place, loved the pineapple mimosa. Pricey but worth it for my wife's special daySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance, food okAgent255Dined on 8/2/2014The ambiance is still wonderful and the service excellent. The wine is reasonable and the classic dishes good (but not great). Stay away from anything that is not classic American cuisine (prime rib, filet mignon, lobster and Beef Wellington). Someone in our party ordered the risotto and it was bland and over cooked. The sauce the came with the fish was too sweet.Special Features:
- OutdoorBillVIPDined on 8/2/2014Sat outside on a perfect evening of weather and food.Special Features:
- Simply WonderfulKoyalillyDined on 8/1/2014This has been the best meal and service that we have experienced in years. The Detroit food scene leads the resurgence of Detroit citySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Never having been to the Whitney I was anxious to experience it. I was not disappointed. The menu selections were impressive and the service was delightful. My only disappointment is that I could not live there....Kary Devereaux East Lansing, MichiganSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the line...NM156Dined on 7/26/2014It really doesn't get any better than this. Classy, elegant, romantic, and some of the best cuisine anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1ST TIMEjoy2eatDined on 7/21/2014Had a outstanding tasting meal with a superb waitress who made our anniversary dinner very special. The inside of the Whitney was a joy to view as we sat and enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerPhilDined on 7/21/2014We celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary with a first time visit here. The food and service were excellent. They still need to do a lot of updating to the building and furniture. My chair was kind of shaky and the upholstering needed updating. Overall a nice experience and a good place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- Fantastic!clinozoisiteDined on 7/20/2014I have been to The Whitney several times and have always had a fabulous experience. They're exceptionally accommodating to large groups, and the food is phenomenal. We recently tried their new Sunday brunch buffet and it was everything I expected and more. The staff are always courteous and friendly. For the brunch, out waiter told us that if there is something we want which isn't on the buffet line, to let him know and he'd get it. Fantastic! The only problem I encountered was using OpenTable for my reservation. When I tried to increase the number of people in my party, it wouldn't let me; I had to call the restaurant directly.Special Features:
- Great tine at the WhitmeyMoesacctDined on 7/19/2014Took my wife here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The service and food was excellent. The house is amazing. Definitely a great place to celebrate for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Bye lunchcelebratingDined on 7/16/2014We had a really good time, great view, great food and our server was very nice! Love The Whitney!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At least the wine was nicetheflyingauntDined on 7/15/2014The premises are beautiful and dining companion wonderful. The meal was unremarkable and overpriced. I expected a higher standard of quality and selection. The menu was totally devoid of fresh/seasonal options. I am not going to say any more on this forum about the meal other than the Malbec (Terrazas) was delightful. We might come for the bar/lounge upstairs - but we won't be eating here.
- Celebratinggeegee21034Dined on 7/15/2014The service was excellent. The food was very good, the ambience was also very good. I was celebrating a special occasion and it was the right atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "What heaven must be like"Sarebear244Dined on 7/14/2014My Grandmother and I came here to celebrate her 91st. She said that The Whitney is, "what heaven must be like." It was an outstanding experience! They were very helpful with my Grandmother's special needs (she is in a wheelchair). They held the door for us at all times. The waiter (Chris) was very knowledgeable about both the food and the home's history. The piano music they played was soft and beautiful. The dining atmosphere is something that must be experienced. And the food - delicious. We were there for lunch, and we both had the prime rib sandwich. In the near future, we'll be back for dinner. Do yourself a favor and reserve a table here! This is a must - for your eyes, ears and tastebuds!Special Features:
- Lovely ExperienceJeanLDined on 7/11/2014We celebrated our anniversary here. The food was really good and the service was exceptional. Took a walk around the house afterwards. Had a lovely experience.Special Features:
- Very Nice Sunday Brunchdb81Dined on 7/6/2014The food was quite good with a broad selection. The salads were terrific and the desserts yummy. The building, of course, is charming and beautiful. The only complaint we had was the lack of lighting where the food was presented - more powerful or localized lighting would be a help.Special Features:
- Excellent BrunchPassionateGourmetGirlDined on 7/6/2014Wonderful food choices. Great ambiance. Piano music added to the quality of the dining experience. I would definitely recommend The Whitney to all dining enthusiasts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Night OutGoodNightOutDined on 7/5/2014Booked for our anniversary, Menu was personalized for the Special Night. Service and quality of food above standard. Booked through OpenTable disappointed - only time available that night was 8PM, The Whitney was empty, earlier seating could have been made, preferred 6PM. Dress policy not held to standard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 StarROBLDDined on 7/3/2014Excellent ambiance. Excellent food. Excellent service. Our waiter was extremely friendly and very attentive to our needs. I highly recommend the Beef Wellington! Well worth the money for a nice evening out with my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep tryingEagerbeaverDined on 7/2/2014Atmosphere and service excellent. Food is average.
- Great way to treat my family!DoJoDined on 7/2/2014Wanted to treat my mother and sister to a special lunch. The Whitney set the mood for elegance. Our service was excellent and the food delicious. I was pleasantly surprised at the very reasonably priced lunch specials. Loved it!Special Features: