4421 Woodward Ave
Detroit, MI 48201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thewhitney.com/
- Phone: (313) 832-5700
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Breakfast/Lunch Monday - Friday 8:00am - 2:00pm. High Tea served Monday - Friday at 2:00pm. Dinner: Monday through Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm, Sunday Dinner 4:00pm - 8:00pm Ghostbar open seven days a week at 4:30 Live Entertainment Friday & Saturday 9:30-midnight.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Danny Phelps
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Info@thewhitney.com
- Private Party Facilities: The Whitney sustains an extensive and impressive résumé for private dining events which includes hosting classically themed weddings, corporate occasions and any number of other, miscellaneous, intimate parties. Private Rooms for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner are available.
- Private Party Contact: Samantha Amiot 3138325700x208
- Entertainment: The Whitney offers live entertainment in The Ghostbar Thursday - Saturday nights. Live pianist nightly and during Sunday brunch.
- Special Events: The Whitney hosts several events each year, The Carnivore Carnival in July and The Haunted Halloween Dinner are annual favorites. Like us on facebook to recieve updates.
- Cross Street: Canfield Street
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet $6.00 Gratuities are appreciated. During M1 construction, we recommend accessing the Whitney from M-10 the Lodge Freeway. Exit at Forrest/Warren, take a left on Forrest ( left turn onto Forrest from center lane). Take Forrest 1/4 mile to Woodward,Right on Woodward. The Whitney is 1/10 of a mile down Woodward on the right.
A word from The Whitney
The Whitney is Detroit's most Romantic Restaurant. Housed in a historic 52 room 1890's mansion on Woodward Avenue in the heart of Detroit's cultural district. Elegant Sunday Brunch with endless Mimosas Sunday Morning. The Whitney also serves a Luxurious plated Breakfast Monday through Friday. Live Entertainment in The Ghostbar Thursday - Saturday nights. Call for Ghost Hunting Dinners and Special Events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Whitney - Best Restaurants in Detroit ›
The Whitney reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (144)romantic (128)neighborhood gem (73)fit for foodies (60)great for brunch (58)good for groups (53)notable wine list (35)great for lunch (34)scenic view (25)late-night find (17)vibrant bar scene (14)great for outdoor dining (13)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Excellent option, not only for special occasionsNickVIPDined on 11/18/2014Although their heating system was not working and their attempts to keep everyone warm with space heaters was marginally effective, it was still a very good experience. We celebrated a birthday, and they had the menu's personalized with the name of the birthday girl (a great touch). I continue to highly recommend this Detroit gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2014We really enjoyed the Whitney experience. It was our first visit and some of the reviews I read prior to our visit were mixed. We dined on a Sunday, late afternoon. We were welcomed and promptly seated. The service was terrific and the ambiance delightful. The food was nicely presented, albeit rather small portions, but nevertheless delicious. For a high end dining experience the prices were, in my opinion, quite reasonable. We will be back! Sorry I forgot our servers name but she was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2014My mom and I ate Sunday brunch here before seeing Motown the Musical at the Fisher Theater. I can honestly say it was the most amazing place I have ever had Sunday brunch. Our server was excellent, and the unlimited mimosas were a nice touch. I recommend spending a little extra time after your brunch to explore the mansion because it is fascinating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too badzabourich27Dined on 11/14/2014We were married there. We thought it would be a nice place to go on our anniversary. We were placed in a nice room. Also the light level was so low, we had to use our phone to be able to read the menu. One of the chair was broken. Instead of replacing it, the chair was switched and left for the next client(he also asked for a different chair!). We had a salad with commercial dressing(ranch). The chicken was very dried and did not have flavor. The ravioli that came with it(strange pairing) were drenched in a tomato sauce (not homemade but from a jar). The fish was fare but had no flavor.Special Features:
- The best of old DetroitOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/13/2014This is a classic and a must visit for people who want to get a bit of old DetroitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic EveningBithdaycelebratingcoupleDined on 11/10/2014My husband and I really enjoyed ourselves 11/10 was his birthday 11/8 was mine the hospitality was outstanding the food excellent!! The tour not expected very informative. We definitely will be back and would recommend The Whitney to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Brunchtam4tamDined on 11/9/2014I've dined at The Whitney many times in the past but this was my first brunch. Absolutely outstanding! At $39/pp it may seem pricey but champagne and mimosas are included so if you have a couple and back the cost of those out then it is actually an incredibly good value for a high end buffet. And of course the ambiance of the mansion makes any meal extra special.Special Features:
- $$$$ and no flavorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014This is a historical place which made me interested in going, as well as the fact that the food options sounded great. It is expensive 6$ to valet which is mandatory and 44$ a person for brunch. The food was just ok. The potatoes were cold there were not lables on any of the dishes so you had no clue what you were getting and there was nobody to help serve or tell you what you were getting. Service was just ok my coffee was never refilled and they were slow to refill the mimsoas. For the price I expected great service and wonderful food.Special Features:
- Magical Dining AdventureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014When My guest and I arrived, we were late and I was a little nervous because it was our first time dining at The Whitney. Our lovely wait staff was more than accommodating and took care of our every need. She went above and beyond my expectations! Our private tour of the mansion was the icing on the cake! I cannot wait to dine there again! Cheers!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor food qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014The quality of the food fell way short of our expectations. A disappointing special occasion dinnerSpecial Features:
- Romantic DinnerSheriDined on 11/7/2014Very enjoyable dinner. The menu offers a variety of choices sure to please any palate.Special Features:
- Papa MarcopapaatwhitneyDined on 11/2/2014Service great, dining a bit crowded, service and staff great, food good but not greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellentRJJBDined on 11/2/2014Food was excellent 'cept the it could have been a little warmerSpecial Features:
- Outstanding!tauldyDined on 11/1/2014It's been a long time since we have a had a meal like we did at the Whitney. My significant other is a Chef himself and he could not stop saying "they know what they're doing"! We've told all family members so we hope to get them to experience the restaurant too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014Celebrated our anniversary at the Whitney and it was great! They were ready for us before we arrived and even had custom menus for us on our table. That was a nice touch!Special Features:
- Had a great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014Only issue was that they have a dress code and didn't enforce it for a couple that came in wearing a hoodie and jeans. They also threw a fit for the automatic gratuity that is added to the bill. And they complained until they got it taken off and then stiffed the waitor. I felt bad for the waitor. But if they can't follow the Whitneys dress code they shouldn't of been allowed in. Other than that it was a good time and a beautiful building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaurenceOfAmericaDined on 10/26/2014This is an absolutely beautiful restaurant with three perfectly preserved floors of nostalgic charm. The food is fine (we went to the Sunday brunch -- nice selection, everything tasted good), but the atmosphere of the place is what really blew me away. Also, the bar is supposedly haunted (and super cute).Special Features:
- Fun experienceKenSylDined on 10/25/2014We really enjoyed the Whitney for our 25th anniversary. I think the service was fine, not overly attentive, which was good. We were seated near a table of raucous individuals, but it was OK for the most part. The Beef Wellington was well prepared, which I expected, but not particularly memorable. The whitefish was somewhat bland, according to my wife, but in fairness, she can be difficult to impress. The house tour was very interesting, and learning of Mr. Whitney and the history of the house he built was great. I'd recommend this restaurant for special occasions, but pricey for frequent visits. Dress code seems to be less demanding than what I was expecting, so skip the tie and jacket if you wish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Building, Okay Foodsbwc613Dined on 10/25/2014The ambiance was great; the house and live music were unique and relaxing. The menu selection was average and the food was okay. I was a little disappointed in the food as I expected much better based on previous reviews and word of mouth. Basically, I could have ordered the same food at a restuarant that was less expensive and easier to get to. The food was nothing special and I don't feel the need to go back for a meal. However, the bar at the top floor of the house was fun, so I would probably go back for a drink. The parking was also not ideal. We valeted and even then had to wait at the entrance for a while because there is only one way in and out of the parking lot.Special Features:
- Always Happy HereFoodies4lifeDined on 10/25/2014The Whitney has been an extremely high quality, and consistent choice for dining in Detroit. Their decor, food and support are top quality.Special Features:
- Detroit GemSueGDined on 10/24/2014Had a wonderful time and highly recommend this historical beauty for anyone looking for some fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely AmazingEricEDined on 10/24/2014Had a wonderful evening here. The staff was phenomenal. They went above and beyond to make sure our experience was amazing. The food was so delicious. We will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WhitneyFoodDoctorDined on 10/22/2014The building was beautiful, the food not so much. Wine list is limited. Personnel very friendly. The Whitney has a lot of upside, it just is not there as yet.
- Dinner here is betterBillDined on 10/19/2014We usually come here for dinner but this time came for the brunch. This is my wife's favorite restaurant in the area, mainly for the ambience. It's a beautiful old Victorian in midtown Detroit. Anyway, the Sunday brunch spread was incredible: seafood bar, carving station with prime rib and ham, omelette station, tilapia, chicken, salmon, salads, and an incredible dessert bar. The only problem is they kind of ruined some of the dishes by letting them dry out under the heat lamps. We've come here for dinner and found the food, service, and ambience to be very good. If you come for the brunch, avoid the foods that have been allowed to sit under the lamps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic PlacemydadeatssoupDined on 10/18/2014One of the best experiences I have had at any dining establishment, wonderful atmosphere, had one of the greatest waiters you could ask for. I proposed to my girlfriend here when we went, and it couldnt have been a better place with better people. I think the prices were very reasonable here too.Special Features:
- The WhitneyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Had the price fixe menu. Salad was great, as were the garlic bread and crab appetizer. Entrée was excellent, except my wife found her rice to be totally bland. Desserts were fantastic. Ambience is first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was extreamly impressed!TravelerDined on 10/18/2014The food quality and serving sizes were absolutely superb. The service was excellent. Our server provided us with everything that we wanted. She also included details about the wonderful mansion and its history. The elegant surroundings create a relaxed atmosphere that sets the stage to enjoy an elegant meal and great conversation. We were very pleased with our visit to The Whitney.Special Features:
- Great for an anniversary!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2014Had always wanted to go to The Whitney and I am so glad we finally went for our anniversary. It was perfect! From the piano player to the gorgeous old home to the fab food and our server who gave a great tour at the end...it was an evening to remember. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- History and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Excellent service from the minute we walked in the door. Went to the Ghost Bar and was greeted by an excellent bartender who knew how to make an old fashioned. Dinner was excellent and the server friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frequent this restaurantdav2Dined on 10/10/2014My husband and I love coming here. From the mansion itself to the service and food, we've never had a bad experience. Also, the ghost bar is amazing. We always get served the most amazing drinks and the bartenders are awesome! The only thing that I will say is that we just took our parents there last weekend and my dad thought that it was odd that they were conducting tours in the rooms where everyone was eating. It was more than a little awkward. But that has been my only complaint all of the times we've been there. I love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & beautiful decorSchurill67Dined on 10/10/2014Beef Wellington and filet with lobster and tarragon hollandaise sauce was incredible along with shrimp and crab potato au gratin, and jalapeño cream corn with pork belly and potato leak soup. Desert raspberry dynasty and fresh berry truffle. Wait staff very helpful and knowledgeable and very friendly and told us stories of the homes history and ghost in the ghost bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining at its finest!MrsHamiltonDined on 10/4/2014The Whitney is simply amazing. The history, architecture, ambiance and food are extraordinary, and are outshined only by their impeccable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!Abc313Dined on 9/28/2014Very relaxing wonderful place to enjoy family, friends and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice special occasion placeDW22Dined on 9/28/2014We went for restaurant week in Detroit. We were celebrating a birthday. The Whitney is a historical landmark and the architecture is beautiful. The view, however, is not so nice. Service and food were outstanding. We ordered a bottle of wine, a little over priced, but restaurant wine usually is. I think it's a shame how restaurants charge so much for the same bottle of wine you can buy at the store. Another quest warned us that there was a lady int he restroom trying to collect tips that was not authorized to be there. We also were taken back by the valet charging $6 to park upfront.Special Features:
- Not GoodBevyRDined on 9/28/2014Regretfully, I was extremely disappointed. Treated a friend for a birthday brunch, at her request. We both frequented the Whitney several years ago when it was pristine. The entire building in/out needs extreme TLC. Frankly, it was dirty both in/out. The brunch was "maybe" comparable to a Big Boy brunch. I hope the present owners have plans to clean it up or there's an investor out there willing to do so! The Whitney is another lost "Detroit Gem" that needs to be brought back to life.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The service was outstanding, and the Whitney is beautiful! My husband's dish was not very tasty, but my beef tenderloin was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WhitneyWhattanightDined on 9/27/2014Our experience was amazing. We were sat in a private room. Our service was absolutly amazing! Phillip made our night. He not only gave stellar suggestions, he gave us a history of the Whitney, regaled us with ghost stories and encouraged us to peek around and check out the areas. It was such a fun night. You would think going to an old mansion for dinner would feel stuffy but we felt right at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinner at the WhitneywaveplayerVIPDined on 9/27/2014Trout, shrimp and Eric's Whim dessert was amazing. Had a wonderful dinner for 8 during restaurant week. The Whitney is consistently great with food, service and ambience. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- First Time GuestElegantExperienceDined on 9/27/2014I've worked in the area for years but surprisingly had never even been inside. The mood is very relaxing with the dim lit dining room. My food was ok but the bottle of Moscoto was unbelievable. Our waiter was great, very personable and more than accommodating. We did not venture upstairs to the bar area. It's a hidden treasure in Detroit that must be experienced at least once!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week adventureMotorCityHustleDined on 9/26/2014We were easily accommodated for a late reservation. Staff was very friendly appetizers and dinner was great. Dessert was only average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.