The White Horse Tavern
26 Marlborough St
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The White Horse Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.whitehorsenewport.com/
- Phone: (401) 849-3600
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Silvia
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For a unique way to celebrate a special occasion or just a night out with friends we have 3 private dining rooms that can accommodate 4-75 guests. Your guests will enjoy a specially prepared meal by our renowned chef, Rich Silvia. Our expert staff can assist in customizing your dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Amber Fraleigh 4018493600x
- Cross Street: Farewell St
- Public Transit: The White Horse Tavern is a quarter mile up Marlborough Street from the Newport Gateway and Visitors Center.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Complimentary on-site parking available. On-street parking. Several private parking lots in immediate area.
A word from The White Horse Tavern
America's oldest tavern. National Historic Register structure. originally built in 1652 the property was converted to a tavern in 1673. Meticulously restored colonial rooms with wide plank floor and beamed ceilings offer candlelight dining by open fireplaces. Elegant yet casual dining of contemporary American cuisine. Voted most romantic restaurant in Rhode Island. Famous tavern room (bar) with fireplace. Unique. Romantic. Fun.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The White Horse Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (92)romantic (80)neighborhood gem (61)fit for foodies (60)notable wine list (26)great for lunch (21)good for groups (15)great for brunch (11)great for outdoor dining (7)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- IconicOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2014Iconic for a reason ... a cozy atmosphere that will take you back in time with food that keeps you in the present!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2014Excellent service and great choices for Restaurant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old but Amazinggr8neccaDined on 11/16/2014This was an old Barn house from 1673, a staple in the community and it was fabulous to dine at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014I had requested a romantic table. We were led to a table immediately in front of the roaring fireplace and I mean right in front. I informed the hostess that it would be much too hot to sit at that table, so down the stairs we went. There was a table in front of the downstairs fireplace, that was not roaring and not so close. I requested that table only to be told that it was reserved. We were seated at a very small table next to a window. Since this is an old building and the night was cold and windy, we thought that the typhoon was arriving. We placed the wine list and the menus in front of the window to prevent frost bite. OMG!!! The table was hardly romantic and I was disappointed. However, our server was extremely cordial and pleasant and the food was delightful. Next time, we'll go in the summer and I will make reservations over the phone to insure that my requests are followed through with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grand mainstay in NewportriguyDined on 11/14/2014Very creative and broad selection offered for restaurant week. Amazing fusions, particulalrly with appetizers. Can't wait to go back and share with guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful place.artgirlDined on 11/14/2014We went there for Restaurant Week in a small group. Beautiful historic room with fireplace lit. Nice atmosphere, The food was so so. The waiter did not give us much information about the offerings when we asked. The appetizer was three tiny arancini rice balls. The outside was hard and bordered on being burnt. In their over charred state they were hard, burnt tasting and dry/ hard on the inside. One party in our group sent them back and the waiter did not even acknowledge our dissatisfaction with the appetizer. The chicken entree was tiny, but good. It looked more like an appetizer than an entree. The shrimp in entree were generous but also almost overcooked. The risotto with the shrimp was tasty but gummy. The Waiter never came back to ask us how our entrees were. Desert was tiny and tasty. Overall our experience wand nowhere as good as our previous visits to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newport Restaurant WeekCookieDined on 11/11/2014My husband and I recently visited The White Horse Taven during Newport Restaurant Week. The food was delicious. Every single mouthfull was a delectable treat from appetizer to dessert. We also enjoyed the historical nature of the building itself and one can almost envision the diners from past centuries. Our server was courteous and prompt, seeing to our every need. What a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinner but....OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2014Wonderful spot just off the "mainstream" in Newport.....2 drawbacks to plan on, parking can be tough and make sure you reserve a downstairs table if you cannot do stairs. This is and old tavern and getting upstairs can be difficult and coming down can be treacherous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service, unparalleledDenieDined on 11/8/2014Taking my wife here for her birthday (as I always do) I was again bowled away by the phenomenal service and fantastic menu. The ambiance is like no other and I can't even compare this establishment to anything else because of the above mentioned.Special Features:
- excellent dinnermiker66Dined on 11/8/2014Nice cozy dinner in what is advertised as the oldest Inn in North America.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New England charmSeasiderDined on 11/8/2014Had an enjoyable dinner here during Restaurant Week. Menu selection was good; food was delicious; service was a little slow. Loved the short rib ragu and classic crème brule. Can't beat the ambiance of this historic property. Is a great place to bring out-of-town guests.Special Features:
- Go for the history, not the food.DuffyDined on 11/8/2014Went for Newport restaurant week. Were seated and we ordered from the restaurant week menu. It took almost an hour just to be served our appetizers. As an entre my wife ordered the grilled pork chop I ordered the short rib ragu. After another 45 min. our entres were served. The pork chop was fatty and dry. Her vegetables were cold. My ragu was served with a pasta which was hard and chewy. They try to keep a historic ambiance which includes literally dining by candlelight. It was so dark the wait staff walk around with flashlights to help folks read the menu. Maybe so you can't see the food. Very pricy menu, guess you pay for the experience of dining in this country's oldest tavern.Special Features:
- VERY well done!ElishkaDined on 11/7/2014This was one of the best meals I've had at the WHT. The chicken sausage appetizer was delicious; the mushroom app. my companion had not so great. My pork sirloin was tender and flavorful, though I didn't taste much of the mustard described in the menu. My companion's short rib ragu was very good (I got to taste some, as I did the mushrooms). The creme brulee was truly outstanding -- perfect end to a lovely meal. I'd had a few previous "misses" at WHT so was a little hesitant to try again, but am very glad I did. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful PlaceLifetimeNewYorkerVIPDined on 10/24/2014Atmosphere is romantic and historical (altho too dark to read the menu), food is excellent, service is very good -- all in all, a lovely dining experienceSpecial Features:
- A uniquely New England experienceWineListDined on 10/24/2014I brought my out of town family for dinner, hoping to give them a glimpse of old New England. They were very impressed - and so was I! I knew the ambiance was great at the White Horse, but I had forgotten how excellent the food was. Our server, Lisa, was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful and our dinner was superb. A very memorable night. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic Newport TavernLollypopDined on 10/24/2014Wonderful location in the heart of Newport, a restaurant with centuries of history,a delicious menu, & superb staff. Intend to bring out of town visitors here.Special Features:
- Delicious!BressicaDined on 10/23/2014Incredible food and a historic building. Service was impeccable and farm to table food was tasty.Special Features:
- Fun for the history of itYarrasmomDined on 10/20/2014Not so fun for the service or the claustrophobic feel of the interior. Upstairs seemed roomier, but it had a private party so no one else was dining up there on a Monday night. We were seated by our waiter, which seemed odd. And he wasn't very efficient for not having that many customers. Oh well, it was an interesting evening, and I enjoyed the butter poached lobster (but not the oily accompanying veggies).
- Very nice brunchLindaDined on 10/19/2014Not a place to bring children. They are not kid friendly . Although they work with you to alter any entree, they do not have children's menu, kid size cups, booster seats, etcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedDinerDined on 10/18/2014Local reviews highly overrated. Food bland and un-imaginative.
- My dinner at the White Horse TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Our waiter was very friendly but not terribly efficient. I had made a reservation days ahead of time requesting a small birthday cake or dessert for my sister's birthday which no one knew anything about. The food was mediocre and over priced. We waiting at least 20 minutes for our check. Just disappointing.
- keithDined on 10/11/2014our 4 hour meal with old friends was beyond terrific !Special Features:
- sitting on it's laurelsPeterDined on 10/10/2014Ok, it's historic, but I came to eat, and cold risotto is inexcusable. My dish came with cold duck fat poached potatoes that chilled my beef. When I asked the waiter about it, he said it was as the chef intended; Nasty is my read on congealed starch with cold duck fat, and I like duck fat. Waiter forgot the anchovies for my salad, and when I asked for them, they did arrive by the time I was done eating the salad. The Statler Chicken was perfect, and my potato chilled beef was cooked to perfection, albeit cooled by the contact with aberrant potatoes.
- WHTSheilaDined on 10/10/2014Service and food were excellent. Friends from out of town loved the history of the tavern......very special place!!!Special Features:
- Excellent and historicdancingthroughlifeDined on 10/9/2014White Horse Tavern in Neport, RI. offers fine dining in an historic setting . The food impressed even my gourmet food aficionado fiancé. He is still talking about the lobster poached in brown butter. Lobster and corn fritters were also exceptional. The wine list offered some fine wines by the glass in addition to full bottles, a good offering overall. After a candlelight dinner in this 17th c. Tavern we adjourned to their bar from which the taverns longstanding history was generated for a cordial finale. Excellent food and service, romantic setting, surrounded by history -not to be missed!Special Features:
- PrettigSchimmelDined on 10/4/2014Everything in balance on thr first Floor. Kichen, wine and service are excellent. (Second floor has à different ambiance)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved ithate2cookDined on 10/3/2014This was a great find! Had a delicious meal in a fantastic atmosphere. The character of the place is great. Had to wait an extra minute or two for our server's attention but the wait was well worth it. The people were incredibly friendly and helpful, at peak time on a Saturday night as well. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendbbClevelandDined on 10/3/2014During our stay we enjoyed two delicious meals at the White Horse Tavern. Dishes were well seasoned and all ingredient were fresh. The chef is to be complimented on his preparation of the variety of menu items. Our servers were friendly and responsive to all our dining needs. We have enjoyed many fine meals during our years of traveling but dining at the White Horse Tavern rates at the top of our list.Special Features:
- Not impressedSCooperVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food was only so-so, especially for the price. Nothing bad, but nothing that stood out as amazing. The clam chowder and lobster bisque soups had some flavor, but were extremely watery. Not the thick, creamy soups we were expecting. Based on previous reviews, we ordered the lobster mac and cheese. Again, okay, but we've had better. Bread pudding was good and the gelato was very good. Best part about this place is the free parking.Special Features:
- Average at bestLovwineVIPDined on 9/26/2014Service was spotty but friendly. The food at best was average: lacked flavor and everything was dry and over cooked. We had been here before many years ago and enjoyed it but on this visit it was not a good meal.Special Features:
- Amazing memoryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014It was our 30th anniversary and we decided to go somewhere special for dinner. What a great pick! They gave us a table in a small private room overlooking the main dining room. Candles, low lighting, quiet, romantic ambience, it was as good as the beef welington dinner. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- If in Newport RI a mustMoeDDined on 9/23/2014This is consistently great, great old New England "Newport" must. This place has been around for over 350 years and offers great food, great service while keeping it fresh and 21st century. A Must for anyone in Newport RISpecial Features:
- DissapointedZephyrguyDined on 9/23/2014Food was very good, however I was very disappointed that there was not fresh seafood on the lunch menu. I had specifically chosen this place for a good seafood lunch. The other thing was they added not 10% or 15% but 20% for gratuity automatically for a table of 7. I understand a little but 20% is exorbitant.Special Features:
- WowArbuckleDined on 9/20/2014I thought Chef Michael at Bottega in Yountville, CA, made the best short ribs in the world. Guess I was wrong! Short Ribs was one of the specials when we dined at the White Horse Tavern, and they got Bottega beat by a mile!!Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationluv2dine2VIPDined on 9/19/2014It was the perfect spot for my wife's birthday celebration. They provided an intimate table for our dining experience. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerRobtheDinerDined on 9/11/2014We had a lovely dinner. The service and dinner were excelent. The only problem was it was difficult to read the menu in the low lighting.Special Features:
- Super PlacetjjeVIPDined on 9/9/2014The White Horse Tavern is a must when visiting Newport. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably will not returnxxxxDined on 9/6/2014+ Food was excellent... All selections explained with pride by the server + Historic setting - Lighting was very dark...; - Tables were cramped...2nd floor seating area had an odd odor. Somewhat unpleasant...l - Server was courteous...but service delivery was painfully slow
- A very good dining experienceBobTDined on 9/6/2014Our family (4 adults) went here to celebrate my daughter's birthday. There are a modest number of selections on the menu. Everything we ordered was delicious and nicely presented. Our waitress was excellent and very attentive to our needs. She even put a candle on my daughters molten chocolate desert cake. I would recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a TreatChrisDined on 9/6/2014I've been going to the White Horse Tavern for dinner on and off over the past 30 years and it never fails to meet or exceed my expectations. The wine choice is excellent as are the meat dishes, with the Beef Wellington being my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.