The White Horse Tavern
26 Marlborough St
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The White Horse Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.whitehorsenewport.com/
- Phone: 4018493600x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Silvia
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For a unique way to celebrate a special occasion or just a night out with friends we have 3 private dining rooms that can accommodate 4-75 guests. Your guests will enjoy a specially prepared meal by our renowned chef, Rich Silvia. Our expert staff can assist in customizing your dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Amber Fraleigh 4018493600x
- Cross Street: Farewell St
- Public Transit: The White Horse Tavern is a quarter mile up Marlborough Street from the Newport Gateway and Visitors Center.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Complimentary on-site parking available. On-street parking. Several private parking lots in immediate area.
A word from The White Horse Tavern
America's oldest tavern. National Historic Register structure. originally built in 1652 the property was converted to a tavern in 1673. Meticulously restored colonial rooms with wide plank floor and beamed ceilings offer candlelight dining by open fireplaces. Elegant yet casual dining of contemporary American cuisine. Voted most romantic restaurant in Rhode Island. Famous tavern room (bar) with fireplace. Unique. Romantic. Fun.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The White Horse Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (87)romantic (79)fit for foodies (57)neighborhood gem (52)notable wine list (23)great for lunch (17)good for groups (16)great for outdoor dining (13)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/27/2014The food was only so-so, especially for the price. Nothing bad, but nothing that stood out as amazing. The clam chowder and lobster bisque soups had some flavor, but were extremely watery. Not the thick, creamy soups we were expecting. Based on previous reviews, we ordered the lobster mac and cheese. Again, okay, but we've had better. Bread pudding was good and the gelato was very good. Best part about this place is the free parking.Special Features:
- Average at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/26/2014Service was spotty but friendly. The food at best was average: lacked flavor and everything was dry and over cooked. We had been here before many years ago and enjoyed it but on this visit it was not a good meal.Special Features:
- Amazing memoryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014It was our 30th anniversary and we decided to go somewhere special for dinner. What a great pick! They gave us a table in a small private room overlooking the main dining room. Candles, low lighting, quiet, romantic ambience, it was as good as the beef welington dinner. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- DissapointedZephyrguyDined on 9/23/2014Food was very good, however I was very disappointed that there was not fresh seafood on the lunch menu. I had specifically chosen this place for a good seafood lunch. The other thing was they added not 10% or 15% but 20% for gratuity automatically for a table of 7. I understand a little but 20% is exorbitant.Special Features:
- WowArbuckleDined on 9/20/2014I thought Chef Michael at Bottega in Yountville, CA, made the best short ribs in the world. Guess I was wrong! Short Ribs was one of the specials when we dined at the White Horse Tavern, and they got Bottega beat by a mile!!Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationluv2dine2VIPDined on 9/19/2014It was the perfect spot for my wife's birthday celebration. They provided an intimate table for our dining experience. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerRobtheDinerDined on 9/11/2014We had a lovely dinner. The service and dinner were excelent. The only problem was it was difficult to read the menu in the low lighting.Special Features:
- Super PlacetjjeVIPDined on 9/9/2014The White Horse Tavern is a must when visiting Newport. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably will not returnxxxxDined on 9/6/2014+ Food was excellent... All selections explained with pride by the server + Historic setting - Lighting was very dark...; - Tables were cramped...2nd floor seating area had an odd odor. Somewhat unpleasant...l - Server was courteous...but service delivery was painfully slow
- A very good dining experienceBobTDined on 9/6/2014Our family (4 adults) went here to celebrate my daughter's birthday. There are a modest number of selections on the menu. Everything we ordered was delicious and nicely presented. Our waitress was excellent and very attentive to our needs. She even put a candle on my daughters molten chocolate desert cake. I would recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a TreatChrisDined on 9/6/2014I've been going to the White Horse Tavern for dinner on and off over the past 30 years and it never fails to meet or exceed my expectations. The wine choice is excellent as are the meat dishes, with the Beef Wellington being my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WhiteHorse InnFoodMavenDined on 9/3/2014Out appetite for both ambience and great food was well satisfied here.Special Features:
- Excellent meal & great service.CPGburyVIPDined on 9/3/2014The farm to table options were terrific. Our entrees - one beef and one chicken were outstanding. Kudos to the chef. In addition, the service was great and the venue charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C & NOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/1/2014Simple, fresh, healthy food prepared very well and with a creative twist. Wait staff a bit immature lacking knowledge of foods served but attentive and pleasant. Surroundings quiet, quaint, and very clean . It was a pleasure.Special Features:
- Don't leave RI without dinner hereSueSRDDined on 8/31/2014The White Horse Tavern has maintained its reputation in Newport for a reason. It has a charming, elegant, relaxed atmosphere and some of the best food in New England. The service was wonderful and the wine list is extensive, with a price range for every diner. I highly recommend it and would go back there in a heart beat.Special Features:
- Off the beaten path in NewportAmylDined on 8/31/2014The restaurant is located in a historical building away from the harbor. The food was delicious but the service was only okay. We had to ask what the specials were and also the fish of the day. For the prices charged, I think the service could have been better. Overall we had a nice evening but management should better train the staff to the level of the food served.Special Features:
- Dining here makes any night specialPixieVIPDined on 8/30/2014The historic White Horse tavern is authentic colonial ambiance with an excellent, tho not extensive menu. Whenever I come here I have the excellent beef Wellington- a dish you don't see on many menus anymore. It's a little pricey but well worth it.Special Features:
- A memorable experiencegene422Dined on 8/29/2014My wife and I had lunch here years ago and wanted to ray it again for dinner due to its historical significance as well as for its ratings. We weren't disappointed. We were seated promptly per our reservations. I had forgotten they had upstairs dining, so we were glad we had less crowded, main level seating. Service, wine and meal were near perfect and the ambiance was wonderful. Worth a visit when in Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Borderline1Dined on 8/28/2014Our lunches (Had to go back) were spoiled somewhat when waiter demanded my Wife remove her hat for our meals. Very poor etiguette and for my lifetime, have never been so insulted, publicly. So vulgar a request, that he may as well have asked her to remove her dress. We almost walked out. We found it was not the Waiter's idea, but the OWNER'S POLICY! Hat's off---- to the Waiter and the Chef for their respect and professionalism to save the day for the reputation of a truly incredible restaurant in all other ways.Special Features:
- Seemed a bit offOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014We ate at White Horse several years ago for our anniversary and it was fantastic, but something has changed. My wife ordered for her steak medium rare and it came out well done. We've never sent food back but decided to this time. When the second steak arrived it was very rare. The table to our right also sent food back, and the waiter was apologizing to the couple on our left for some reason I could not overhear. Not sure what is going on, perhaps just a bad night. My wife did note that it was "burger" night with respect to the special of the day... I hesitate to judge, perhaps they are wonderful burgers, but we didn't get dressed up to eat at a 400 year old establishment for burgers. I had the tuna, small portion for the price.
- Continues to be a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014We are locals and enjoy bringing friends and guests to White Horse Tavern. The food is delicious, the staff friendly and knowledgeable, the colonial atmosphere is unique. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great old TavernTomCDined on 8/23/2014We had Lunch --- their creative treatment of "standard" fair makes it special and noteworthy. This Old Historic tavern has appeal because of its place on the National Register but in order to maintain itself as a noteworthy destination they must and DO prepare present and serve excellent food offerings --- we're not talking gourmet - we're talking creative and well executed ! --- the staff is helpful friendly and attentive and I would recommend the White Horse to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ok. Service not that much.OroroinaDined on 8/22/2014The service was not so careful; the set is old and nice; noise level quite high (mostly due to our table neighbours). Food not gret but okSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible and terribly disappointingPickyhubbyDined on 8/22/2014I was so embarrassed to have people visit from out of town and have a such a bad meal. All the entrees came to the table luke warm and were barely mediocre even after they were reheated. I had never had a bad creme brûlée in my life, yet they managed to mess that up as well - forgot the vanilla - tasted like whipped cream inside. The building is very historic and pretty but it seems like that's all they have going for them, and they take advantage of it rather than creating an appropriate menu. Total disappointment - would not recommend it to anyone!
- Great AtmosphereMaryCarolDined on 8/22/2014We wanted to eat here because of the historical background of this establishment. We enjoyed our dinner, and the service was very good. We ate inside, but there is outdoor patio dinning also. Nice small bar, and I wish we could have gone early to sit and have a drink there before being seated for dinner. One tip, on open table, we were only offered two times to dine, but I called the restaurant later, to ask if we could change the time, and they were very accommodating. So if the time you want is not offered, contact the restaurant directly.Special Features:
- Don't change a thingbwk621Dined on 8/22/2014Lots of character in this centuries old tavern. Lobster bisque was very flavorful. Could have been a few degrees hotter for my taste but was quite good nonetheless. The rare ahi tuna entree was perfect and balanced well with the julienne squash & zucchini in a light lemony dressing. Wife had the striped bass and reported that it was delicious. The desserts were sinful. The silk cake, butterscotch bread pudding and the cheesecake rolls were shared among all and we couldn't pick a winner. 3 way tie for first. Service was excellent. Everyone made us feel welcome and seemed genuinely glad that we chose to dine with them. Will most certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversarydonnadeeDined on 8/19/2014We had a wonderful romantic dinner celebrating our anniversary. we plan on going back to celebrate my birthday in the fall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trading on the pastNewbieDined on 8/17/2014As oldest tavern in US, certainly has historical significance and reputation. Wasn't full of patrons, but waited 20 minutes for refill of coffee and water at Sunday brunch. Overall, service was not up to standard of price of meal and reputation. Disappointing.Special Features:
- White Horse TavernSheilaDined on 8/16/2014Had not been to White Horse Tavern in quite a few years. Everything from the service to the food was excellent Menu had just enough choices and everything was fresh and delicious. Beautiful old tavern!!!Special Features:
- RushhausDined on 8/15/2014For being theoldest Tavern in the US (1672) it did little to inform or permote this. The wait staff (bar maid most noticable knew next to nothing about the history of this old gem.Special Features:
- continued excellenceBerylVIPDined on 8/15/2014Our return visit after a lot of years away from Newport was nothing short of fabulous! Food, service, and ambience were all outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014Wonderful experience in historic setting with excellent foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly AmazingTeacherDetectiveDined on 8/14/2014To be honest, we went to the Tavern because of its historical significance - not thinking much about the potential food experience. However, we left all agreeing that it was one of the best meals we had ever eaten! Our appetizers were good - I would have liked a bit more seasoning for my Rhode Island mushrooms, but my husband's clam chowder and daughter's shrimp were excellent. The star, though, was the butter poached lobster! So amazing! I could have licked my plate for every drop of goodness. The chicken breast seemed equally tasty. Desserts were sinfully superb - bread pudding was especially well prepared and luscious. Overall, we felt we were given a modern food experience with careful attendance by the staff. Not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- White Horse Tavern August 2014Localnewporter123Dined on 8/8/2014I am a local who took a guest around town for a week and not only was the beef Wellington and rib eye cooked to perfect, our waitstaff was courteous and right on top of our needs. My guest (and even myself) think this was our favorite part of our trip. The food and drinks were phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2doWIneVIPDined on 8/3/2014Excellent meal here while visiting Newport this summer. Ask for a room in the rear for private dining for 4 or more people. We had a delicious meal, beautifully presented and efficient service. Highly recommend when visiting Newport. Not inexpensive but well worth the price. We will be returning when in the area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks, Pepto BismalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014My husband ordered the pork dish. He said it was so tough that it was unedible. This was after a 35 minute wait to get our food, so he didn't want to get something else. Laster that night he had an upset stomach which may or may not have been related to the pork. They compted our dessert.Special Features:
- 5 starsLeighCooperDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I took some friends to this restaurant who were in from out of town. Everyone enjoyed dinner. The wine list was great and the desserts were fantastic. We're all excited to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The White Horse TavernatopicDined on 7/31/2014Definitely a special dining experience. Our first visit several years ago was on Thanksgiving Day, and we still remember it as the best Thanksgiving meal we ever had. Our second visit lived up to the first: high quality ingredients, preparation and service. Plus, it offers a unique trip back in time, as one of the oldest taverns in America!Special Features:
- White Horse always a good pickSTEVEANDDDined on 7/30/2014For some reason we usually go to WHT in the winter but we checked out the summer menu and decided to give it a go. We were not disappointed. My husband had the pan seared scallops and I had the statler chicken. Both dishes were fantastic. And John the bartender was fabulous. Glad we went!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fishjcbohnVIPDined on 7/30/2014We had swordfish and scallops - both very well prepared. Excellent staff, unobtrusive service, quiet so you could actually hold a conversation. Lovely evening.Special Features: