The White Horse Tavern
26 Marlborough St
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The White Horse Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.whitehorsenewport.com/
- Phone: 4018493600x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Silvia
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For a unique way to celebrate a special occasion or just a night out with friends we have 3 private dining rooms that can accommodate 4-75 guests. Your guests will enjoy a specially prepared meal by our renowned chef, Rich Silvia. Our expert staff can assist in customizing your dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Amber Fraleigh 4018493600x
- Cross Street: Farewell St
- Public Transit: The White Horse Tavern is a quarter mile up Marlborough Street from the Newport Gateway and Visitors Center.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Complimentary on-site parking available. On-street parking. Several private parking lots in immediate area.
A word from The White Horse Tavern
America's oldest tavern. National Historic Register structure. originally built in 1652 the property was converted to a tavern in 1673. Meticulously restored colonial rooms with wide plank floor and beamed ceilings offer candlelight dining by open fireplaces. Elegant yet casual dining of contemporary American cuisine. Voted most romantic restaurant in Rhode Island. Famous tavern room (bar) with fireplace. Unique. Romantic. Fun.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The White Horse Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)romantic (81)neighborhood gem (61)fit for foodies (61)notable wine list (28)great for lunch (21)good for groups (18)great for outdoor dining (13)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Hello, I chose the WHT to celebrate my wife's birthday. In my Open Table reservation, I requested a candle with our dessert. I also called the WHT the day of my reservation and requested the same. I was assured there would be no problem and my reservation had a note stating what I had requested. Low and behold, dessert came without any candle or birthday acknowledgement. This created a very awkward situation for myself and my wife. Food and ambiance were very good, but I will NOT be dining at the WHT in the future and will be telling my friends to do the same. Thank you, Shawn CunnieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful PlaceLifetimeNewYorkerVIPDined on 10/24/2014Atmosphere is romantic and historical (altho too dark to read the menu), food is excellent, service is very good -- all in all, a lovely dining experienceSpecial Features:
- A uniquely New England experienceWineListDined on 10/24/2014I brought my out of town family for dinner, hoping to give them a glimpse of old New England. They were very impressed - and so was I! I knew the ambiance was great at the White Horse, but I had forgotten how excellent the food was. Our server, Lisa, was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful and our dinner was superb. A very memorable night. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic Newport TavernLollypopDined on 10/24/2014Wonderful location in the heart of Newport, a restaurant with centuries of history,a delicious menu, & superb staff. Intend to bring out of town visitors here.Special Features:
- Delicious!BressicaDined on 10/23/2014Incredible food and a historic building. Service was impeccable and farm to table food was tasty.Special Features:
- Fun for the history of itYarrasmomDined on 10/20/2014Not so fun for the service or the claustrophobic feel of the interior. Upstairs seemed roomier, but it had a private party so no one else was dining up there on a Monday night. We were seated by our waiter, which seemed odd. And he wasn't very efficient for not having that many customers. Oh well, it was an interesting evening, and I enjoyed the butter poached lobster (but not the oily accompanying veggies).
- Very nice brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014Not a place to bring children. They are not kid friendly . Although they work with you to alter any entree, they do not have children's menu, kid size cups, booster seats, etcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedDinerDined on 10/18/2014Local reviews highly overrated. Food bland and un-imaginative.
- My dinner at the White Horse TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Our waiter was very friendly but not terribly efficient. I had made a reservation days ahead of time requesting a small birthday cake or dessert for my sister's birthday which no one knew anything about. The food was mediocre and over priced. We waiting at least 20 minutes for our check. Just disappointing.
- keithDined on 10/11/2014our 4 hour meal with old friends was beyond terrific !Special Features:
- sitting on it's laurelsPeterDined on 10/10/2014Ok, it's historic, but I came to eat, and cold risotto is inexcusable. My dish came with cold duck fat poached potatoes that chilled my beef. When I asked the waiter about it, he said it was as the chef intended; Nasty is my read on congealed starch with cold duck fat, and I like duck fat. Waiter forgot the anchovies for my salad, and when I asked for them, they did arrive by the time I was done eating the salad. The Statler Chicken was perfect, and my potato chilled beef was cooked to perfection, albeit cooled by the contact with aberrant potatoes.
- WHTSheilaDined on 10/10/2014Service and food were excellent. Friends from out of town loved the history of the tavern......very special place!!!Special Features:
- Excellent and historicdancingthroughlifeDined on 10/9/2014White Horse Tavern in Neport, RI. offers fine dining in an historic setting . The food impressed even my gourmet food aficionado fiancé. He is still talking about the lobster poached in brown butter. Lobster and corn fritters were also exceptional. The wine list offered some fine wines by the glass in addition to full bottles, a good offering overall. After a candlelight dinner in this 17th c. Tavern we adjourned to their bar from which the taverns longstanding history was generated for a cordial finale. Excellent food and service, romantic setting, surrounded by history -not to be missed!Special Features:
- PrettigSchimmelDined on 10/4/2014Everything in balance on thr first Floor. Kichen, wine and service are excellent. (Second floor has à different ambiance)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved ithate2cookDined on 10/3/2014This was a great find! Had a delicious meal in a fantastic atmosphere. The character of the place is great. Had to wait an extra minute or two for our server's attention but the wait was well worth it. The people were incredibly friendly and helpful, at peak time on a Saturday night as well. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendbbClevelandDined on 10/3/2014During our stay we enjoyed two delicious meals at the White Horse Tavern. Dishes were well seasoned and all ingredient were fresh. The chef is to be complimented on his preparation of the variety of menu items. Our servers were friendly and responsive to all our dining needs. We have enjoyed many fine meals during our years of traveling but dining at the White Horse Tavern rates at the top of our list.Special Features:
- Not impressedSCooperVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food was only so-so, especially for the price. Nothing bad, but nothing that stood out as amazing. The clam chowder and lobster bisque soups had some flavor, but were extremely watery. Not the thick, creamy soups we were expecting. Based on previous reviews, we ordered the lobster mac and cheese. Again, okay, but we've had better. Bread pudding was good and the gelato was very good. Best part about this place is the free parking.Special Features:
- Average at bestLovwineVIPDined on 9/26/2014Service was spotty but friendly. The food at best was average: lacked flavor and everything was dry and over cooked. We had been here before many years ago and enjoyed it but on this visit it was not a good meal.Special Features:
- Amazing memoryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014It was our 30th anniversary and we decided to go somewhere special for dinner. What a great pick! They gave us a table in a small private room overlooking the main dining room. Candles, low lighting, quiet, romantic ambience, it was as good as the beef welington dinner. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- If in Newport RI a mustMoeDDined on 9/23/2014This is consistently great, great old New England "Newport" must. This place has been around for over 350 years and offers great food, great service while keeping it fresh and 21st century. A Must for anyone in Newport RISpecial Features:
- DissapointedZephyrguyDined on 9/23/2014Food was very good, however I was very disappointed that there was not fresh seafood on the lunch menu. I had specifically chosen this place for a good seafood lunch. The other thing was they added not 10% or 15% but 20% for gratuity automatically for a table of 7. I understand a little but 20% is exorbitant.Special Features:
- WowArbuckleDined on 9/20/2014I thought Chef Michael at Bottega in Yountville, CA, made the best short ribs in the world. Guess I was wrong! Short Ribs was one of the specials when we dined at the White Horse Tavern, and they got Bottega beat by a mile!!Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationluv2dine2VIPDined on 9/19/2014It was the perfect spot for my wife's birthday celebration. They provided an intimate table for our dining experience. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerRobtheDinerDined on 9/11/2014We had a lovely dinner. The service and dinner were excelent. The only problem was it was difficult to read the menu in the low lighting.Special Features:
- Super PlacetjjeVIPDined on 9/9/2014The White Horse Tavern is a must when visiting Newport. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably will not returnxxxxDined on 9/6/2014+ Food was excellent... All selections explained with pride by the server + Historic setting - Lighting was very dark...; - Tables were cramped...2nd floor seating area had an odd odor. Somewhat unpleasant...l - Server was courteous...but service delivery was painfully slow
- A very good dining experienceBobTDined on 9/6/2014Our family (4 adults) went here to celebrate my daughter's birthday. There are a modest number of selections on the menu. Everything we ordered was delicious and nicely presented. Our waitress was excellent and very attentive to our needs. She even put a candle on my daughters molten chocolate desert cake. I would recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a TreatChrisDined on 9/6/2014I've been going to the White Horse Tavern for dinner on and off over the past 30 years and it never fails to meet or exceed my expectations. The wine choice is excellent as are the meat dishes, with the Beef Wellington being my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WhiteHorse InnFoodMavenDined on 9/3/2014Out appetite for both ambience and great food was well satisfied here.Special Features:
- Excellent meal & great service.CPGburyVIPDined on 9/3/2014The farm to table options were terrific. Our entrees - one beef and one chicken were outstanding. Kudos to the chef. In addition, the service was great and the venue charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C & NOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/1/2014Simple, fresh, healthy food prepared very well and with a creative twist. Wait staff a bit immature lacking knowledge of foods served but attentive and pleasant. Surroundings quiet, quaint, and very clean . It was a pleasure.Special Features:
- Don't leave RI without dinner hereSueSRDDined on 8/31/2014The White Horse Tavern has maintained its reputation in Newport for a reason. It has a charming, elegant, relaxed atmosphere and some of the best food in New England. The service was wonderful and the wine list is extensive, with a price range for every diner. I highly recommend it and would go back there in a heart beat.Special Features:
- Off the beaten path in NewportAmylDined on 8/31/2014The restaurant is located in a historical building away from the harbor. The food was delicious but the service was only okay. We had to ask what the specials were and also the fish of the day. For the prices charged, I think the service could have been better. Overall we had a nice evening but management should better train the staff to the level of the food served.Special Features:
- Dining here makes any night specialPixieVIPDined on 8/30/2014The historic White Horse tavern is authentic colonial ambiance with an excellent, tho not extensive menu. Whenever I come here I have the excellent beef Wellington- a dish you don't see on many menus anymore. It's a little pricey but well worth it.Special Features:
- A memorable experiencegene422Dined on 8/29/2014My wife and I had lunch here years ago and wanted to ray it again for dinner due to its historical significance as well as for its ratings. We weren't disappointed. We were seated promptly per our reservations. I had forgotten they had upstairs dining, so we were glad we had less crowded, main level seating. Service, wine and meal were near perfect and the ambiance was wonderful. Worth a visit when in Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Borderline1Dined on 8/28/2014Our lunches (Had to go back) were spoiled somewhat when waiter demanded my Wife remove her hat for our meals. Very poor etiguette and for my lifetime, have never been so insulted, publicly. So vulgar a request, that he may as well have asked her to remove her dress. We almost walked out. We found it was not the Waiter's idea, but the OWNER'S POLICY! Hat's off---- to the Waiter and the Chef for their respect and professionalism to save the day for the reputation of a truly incredible restaurant in all other ways.Special Features:
- Seemed a bit offOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014We ate at White Horse several years ago for our anniversary and it was fantastic, but something has changed. My wife ordered for her steak medium rare and it came out well done. We've never sent food back but decided to this time. When the second steak arrived it was very rare. The table to our right also sent food back, and the waiter was apologizing to the couple on our left for some reason I could not overhear. Not sure what is going on, perhaps just a bad night. My wife did note that it was "burger" night with respect to the special of the day... I hesitate to judge, perhaps they are wonderful burgers, but we didn't get dressed up to eat at a 400 year old establishment for burgers. I had the tuna, small portion for the price.
- Continues to be a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014We are locals and enjoy bringing friends and guests to White Horse Tavern. The food is delicious, the staff friendly and knowledgeable, the colonial atmosphere is unique. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great old TavernTomCDined on 8/23/2014We had Lunch --- their creative treatment of "standard" fair makes it special and noteworthy. This Old Historic tavern has appeal because of its place on the National Register but in order to maintain itself as a noteworthy destination they must and DO prepare present and serve excellent food offerings --- we're not talking gourmet - we're talking creative and well executed ! --- the staff is helpful friendly and attentive and I would recommend the White Horse to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ok. Service not that much.OroroinaDined on 8/22/2014The service was not so careful; the set is old and nice; noise level quite high (mostly due to our table neighbours). Food not gret but okSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.