119 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wharfrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 703-836-2836x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Wharf
History has been written inside the walls of the Wharf, with its 1790's style architecture featuring original wood columns and beams that are charred black from a Civil War fire. Since 1971, satisfied diners have been heading to The Wharf in Old Town for whole Maine lobster, local soft shell crabs and prime steaks. The restaurant has recently been renovated and remodeled and the menu updated to include many contemporary seafood items along with their traditional Chesapeake Bay creations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
The Wharf - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
The Wharf reviews from OpenTable diners
181 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)neighborhood gem (69)romantic (69)fit for foodies (56)good for groups (35)great for outdoor dining (31)notable wine list (29)great for lunch (23)great for brunch (20)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (14)scenic view (10)hot spot (8)Show More
- Really enjoyed dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014The she-crab soup was delicious. The service was pretty good - a little slow, but overall I was really happy with the food and the ambiance. We had a great time, and would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!FoodieQueenMKHDined on 8/23/2014Dinner at the Wharf was hands down amazing! My husband and I came here for Alexandria Restaurant week. We had their oysters on the half shell, crab and shrimp fritters, and calamari to start...ALL DELISH. I had the lobster, shrimp, and crab dish with their delish garlic butter sauce with a baked potato. My husband had the horseradish crusted salmon with a side of rice pilaf. Also very good. At one point in the night I spilled my apple martini and our waiter cleaned it up and gave me another one free of charge! So sweet! We were too full to have our dinner so we took it home. Service and dinner was superb..We will be back in a couple of weeks to try some more of their amazing dishes!Special Features:
- Date NightMoni0899Dined on 8/23/2014I found this restaurant on open table. I took my fiancé here for a date night. We took the taxi boat from the National Harbor, it was $16 each round trip and was about a 15-20 minute ride. The ride was very smooth and had beautiful views. When we finally got to Alexandria The Wharf was about a block and a half walking distance. Which wasn't bad at all. We liked looking at the surrounding shops on the way. We were promptly seated once we arrived. We ordered the calamari as an appetizer and it was delicious as was the bread and butter that was brought to us. My fiancé had the fried seafood platter and I had the broiled seafood platter. We enjoyed our entrees as well. All in all a nice date spot, dim lighted ambiance and spectatular service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambianceShinyOctopusDined on 8/23/2014Great seafood selections in this Old Town staple. I went here for my birthday and we took advantage of the restaurant week specials. Everything was cooked well, came out hot and tasted delicious. I had a great experience and would definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great soft shell crabei8htohmsDined on 8/22/2014Packed in amongst a number of good looking restaurant options, we found the food and service all very good. The waiter was quick and efficient and offered good suggestions, the food came quickly and was delicious, particularly the oysters on the half shell and the soft shell crab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ROMANCEinnesDined on 8/22/2014So I met this great girl on match.com and we picked this place to meet. The light level was med-light which was good for seeing my beautiful date and reading the menace. We were there about three hours slowly ordering and eating. The waitress was patient with us and never pestered us but ensured we had plenty of time together as well as kept our orders coming. Great experience.Special Features:
- Good SeafoodeclipsegroupieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Enjoyed eating at The Wharf for Restaurant Week. Was surprised at the lovely seafood offerings. We loved the she-crab soup, the best I've ever eaten. Our main courses were good, but slightly overcooked. The salmon was pretty tasteless. The service was good in general, though they rushed us through the first course, bringing the main course before I was finished with my soup. I would have preferred to linger a bit more.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised...FeeWDined on 8/20/2014My friends and I wanted to try something new / different since it was restaurant week. All of our meals were hot, the seafood was fresh and plentiful and tasty. The bread pudding was not something I would recommend though...not served as hot as it should and was a bit soggy because of the raspberry. Otherwise, very pleased overall.Special Features:
- Great seafood and customer serviceMilahDined on 8/19/2014Took a friend out for dinner during restaurant week, the waiter was very nice and patient and gave his explanations/ recommendations of the menu items. The food from the soup to the dessert was awesome. I especially liked the saucy blue crab succotash, was surprisingly very tasty. My main cours of day boat scallops and gulf shrimp wrapped in bacon was also perfectly cooked and so flavorful. I would definitely come back here for a seafood meal again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Town MainstayStephenVIPDined on 8/19/2014The Warf has been around for ages. It serves well-prepared classic seafood dishes--nothing that will make the food channel but nothing that will upset your finicky relatives either. The fried calamari appetizer was a particular stand out as were the shrimp and scallops with bacon on a skewer. A good place to go for the evening if you are a local or a tourist looking for something better than the typical tourist traps in that part of town.
- Great taste, just a little moreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014The seafood here is outstanding! But for those eating to perform, this comes shy of the zone diet serving when it comes to the Wharf Duo dish. The taste was great, but half the prescribed serving of 28 grams of protein. I guess this is just an inherent aspect of fine dining with seafood. Not a major setback though because taste made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FindFantasticDined on 8/18/2014I love Restaurant Week. I usually try to find a new restaurant that we have not been to before. The Wharf is one that we will definitely come back for more. As with other reviews the she-crab soup was fantastic. Make sure you try the shrimp and crab fritters, too. The house red wine was very good, our meals were delicious. We had a great waiter: friendly, helpful, but only there when we needed him. You could hear the conversation at your table - nice to talk - the bar was quiet - we went on a Monday evening. Prices were reasonable-this is downtown King Street Alexandria - nothing is cheap. But we got good value. A nice place to bring guests.Special Features:
- An off night for The WharfBob64Dined on 8/18/2014We've enjoyed lobsters at The Wharf 3 times a year since 1990. This time was a disappointment! Ordered 2 1 ½ pounders; were told they only had 1 but had a 2 pounder. We said OK (thinking we would get 1 of each). Server thought we only wanted the 2 pounder to share (do many folks share a lobster?). When she brought 1 lobster and baked potato, we ordered another but that put everything off kilter. Little things added to our disappointment: over-cooked baked potatoes with thick "too chewy" bacon slices; had to ask for bibs; no hot moist towels for hand clean-up. Great service/getting little things right have always made The Wharf our favorite place for special occasions. If this had been our first visit, we wouldn't return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Had a birthday dinner for my spouse. The restaurant was very accommodating for a sizeable crowd (15). Service was excellent and the food was very good. The wine list was fairly limited, but did find suitable whites and reds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just HorribleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014Poor poor establishment. Food quality is poor and so overpriced. The manager, Pedro, is unprofessional (and that is being nice).
- RonaldDined on 8/16/2014Great food and service especially helped my elderly parents who needed a little extra time and are hard of hearing. We were well taken care of. I'll be backSpecial Features:
- NJSdiningNJSdiningDined on 8/16/2014we met some friends for our anniversary and took advantage of Restaurant Week in Alexandria and had a wonderful evening. the food was excellant, the atmosphere was very nice and the service could not have been better. Gerardo was excellant, very personalable and easy to interact with, he never missed a beat, he had everything on time and on point, even if he didn't write anything down. the front corner table upstairs was nice for watching all the hustle and bustle outside while we enjoyed good conversation and amazing food. I was afraid that being a special for restaurant week the food would be hurriedly prepared and average but that was not the case. overall we had an excellant experience and would definately do it again.Special Features:
- What A Great Experience!KBMyPointofViewDined on 8/15/2014My bestie and I love great food and we were looking for somewhere that had not only great food but just as important great service and ambience! The Wharf nailked it on all counts! Food - Tasted wonderful, great options in seafood dinig, nice portions, and presented well! Service - Our server was attentive wihtout being overly so! Price - Really great value for the food and service. We are so pleased that we are amking reservations to go back again. Certainly, now one of my favorites! KSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticDivineDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at The Wharf and we truly appreciated the service, ambiance, and food was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 Picky People were PleasedSOS606Dined on 8/10/2014We took another couple to brunch last Sunday and we wee delighted with the food selections, the wine and beer selections and the wonderful relaxed and yet efficient service that was never rushed or too persistent. We each ordered a different dish and everyone enjoyed them immensely. I recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves good food and appreciates good service.Special Features:
- Excellent place for SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Absolutely Delicious!!! I took my son, daughter and two friends here as I was dying for fresh seafood. The specials were Halibut and Tuna, both were delicious and fresh . The service was great !! Will go again on my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good night outfine2dineDined on 8/9/2014The Wharf is a very good place to eat. Good food, Great service and nice atmosphere. It has become one of my favorite restaurant. I would recommend it to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FitzDined on 8/8/2014The Wharf was recommended to us during a recent visit to area. It did I not disappoint. Service was perfect and our food selections were delivered in a timely fashion. Our waiter was engaging and very knowledgeable of the menu. We will return on our next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousYummyDined on 8/2/2014We took my niece here to celebrate her 17th birthday as she wanted crab cakes. She loved them! We all enjoyed the appetizers and each of our meals. Everything was fresh and cooked perfectly. It was wonderful touch that our server brought out a complimentary dessert for my nieces birthday. All around we had a great time and a delicious meal!Special Features:
- Good foodchipDined on 8/2/2014We had a good experience at the wharf. I had the garlic shrimp which was excellent. I also had a mojito which was very good. Everyone at my table enjoyed their food except for one of my guests. He ordered chicken and it was dry and tough. The waiter replaced it with garlic shrimp and did not charge us for the chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good expereinceALinNJDined on 7/30/2014Was in National Harbor for work and decided to hop the water taxi over to alexandria. The Wharf was our destination for dinner and the food was great. The Bread was tasty and I had the fried seafood which was very good not too much breading and not oily at all.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/30/2014Excellent she-crab soup and the shrimp-scallop norfolk was just the right size for lunch and delicious. If you like a seafood variety, this is a great Old Town restaurant.Special Features:
- expensive mediocre foodDaveDined on 7/26/2014Went to the wharf over the weekend and wasn't very happy. Food was $30+ a plate and lacked a lot to be desired. I had the Mahi Mahi which was incredibly bland, another had Scallops which were better but still forgettable. Another friend ordered a $100 stuff lobster on unknowingly with no heads up from the waiter. (If it says market price you should at least give an idea of the size). I would have assumed a pound or so as well, not the 2.5lb @ $40/lb beast that came. On top, waited literally an hour once we ordered to get our food and as a result missed the fireworks. Atmosphere was good and definitely for a romantic dinner, just with everything else I doubt I will be back and know many better places.
- robs revieweatoutDined on 7/26/2014My friend had the salmon, which she said was very good. I had the grilled seafood platter, which was skimpy. The crab cake was too moist with not enough crab in it. The wine was excellent.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014pleasantly surprised, good food quality and service for the money, entrees very good , may want to add a bit more flavor to clam chowder but overall excellent. My daughter lives in old town and I highly recommended your restaurant to her and her husband. We will be back, P.S - would like to see Santa Margharita by the glass! thanks, Steve and SusanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic Alexandria ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Delicious seafood entrees, cozy booths, wonderful waiter--all in the heart of Old Town.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday at the Wharf DinnerjmreviewsDined on 7/20/2014My dinner at the Wharf was an outstanding meal. Choosing one of the specials--the filet mignon with lobster was the right idea. The service, the ambiance and the wine were components of an exceptional evenging out. The handsome and more than capable wait staff was attentive, but non obtrusive--the perfect combination. They paced the meal appropriately so that it could be savored instead of rushed. They offererd great suggestions. They know their menu and its strengths and speak well to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- evening without the kidsMeganDined on 7/18/2014My husband and I had a Friday night dinner without the kids - it was crowded, but we were still able to get a table. We had good attentive service and the Italian food is classic - always a dependable restaurant for dinner.Special Features:
- Good FoodFoodFanVIPDined on 7/18/2014I have been to The Wharf a few times and have been pleased every time. The food is good; a wide variety that should please even the pickiest eater...I know...I'm one of them. The wait staff is generally good, but seem to look at you disapprovingly if you are dressed casually. The restaurant tends to get a little loud; small space and loud customers don't mix well. That would be my only complaint, but overall, I really like the restaurant! Give it a try and decide for yourself!Special Features:
- deliciousBabblesVIPDined on 7/18/2014Great seafood restaurant with amazing service. Highly recommend you try one of their specialsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always.Billthecat1Dined on 7/15/2014Great dining experience at The Wharf this week. As always, the food was top quality (especially the she crab soup) and the service was outstanding. I was there on business and it capped off a great night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014Such a wonderful that captures colonial charm and outstanding food.Special Features:
- never a bad mealHouseDined on 7/12/2014We continue to go to the wharf and have yet to have a bad meal. The food is always great, the service is always on top of its game, and we always have a great time. Make sure you have a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice overallbellaDined on 7/12/2014If you are going in the evening be sure to make a reservation, the food was very good, service was excellent. Close to the river walk and parking garage.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperiencekkinvaDined on 7/12/2014This is the second time I ate here - both times bringing friends from out of town with me. I chose this place because it serves wonderful fish and seafood. It did not disappoint. The crab cakes are fantastic as is the cod with lobster. There is no dress code; however, we were certainly underdressed in our shorts and sneakers.Special Features: