119 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wharfrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 703-836-2836x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Wharf
History has been written inside the walls of the Wharf, with its 1790's style architecture featuring original wood columns and beams that are charred black from a Civil War fire. Since 1971, satisfied diners have been heading to The Wharf in Old Town for whole Maine lobster, local soft shell crabs and prime steaks. The restaurant has recently been renovated and remodeled and the menu updated to include many contemporary seafood items along with their traditional Chesapeake Bay creations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
The Wharf - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
The Wharf reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (84)romantic (65)neighborhood gem (64)fit for foodies (50)great for outdoor dining (31)good for groups (27)notable wine list (24)great for lunch (21)great for brunch (14)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (9)late-night find (8)hot spot (6)Show More
- Paso JimOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014We had been to the Wharf once before and were very pleased with their soft shelled crab. and this time for lunch we both ordered the seafood fetuccini and it was just delicious. The scallops, shrimp, crab and lobster were all fresh and cooked just right. The pasta was perfect and the alfredo sauce excellent. We will definitely include the Wharf in future Alexandria, VA visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014We always enjoy our meal at The Wharf. Everything from our table location, quality of our food and our server was A-1!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night MealLoveToEatDined on 9/27/2014We sat upstairs and it was very quiet. Our waiter was nice and promptly refilled our water glasses. We started with the shrimp and crab fritters, and we thought that they were yummy. My husband had the seafood stew which looked and smelled delicious when it came out, and he said that it tasted as great as it looked. He had a side of mashed potatoes which was ok. I had the cod topped with lobster and it was dry/over cooked as well as luke warm. I got the side of saffron rice which was served room temperature and tasted over salted. Overall good service, but the meal and experience did not reflect our bill.
- Seafood cooked rightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014My wife & I shared an appetizer of Shrimp & Crab Fritters. For mains we had broiled scallops and their Eastern Cioppino. If overcooked the scallops, mussels, clams & calamari are rubbery; the lobster and shrimp becoe tough and lose flavor. Everything was perfect. Portions were large - no room for dessert.Special Features:
- Crab Cake Heaven!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014These are The Best Crab Cakes! The atmosphere is a little staid, and interior dining rooms outdated, but our outside dining was a real gem! Service could have been better....a little stuffy, but we enjoyed every moment! This wasn't my first visit, nor will it be my last!Special Features:
- Lobster mashed potatoJanieVIPDined on 9/25/2014Sea food was great but mashed lobster potato side is a must!Special Features:
- WharfOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2014The reception area was very chaotic when we arrived and the fact that we had reservations didn't seem to matter to anyone. Food was good, pricey. We probably had a right to expect a bit more in terms of quality and specialties. We had blueberry martinis which were sensational. Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to the 80sSerialDinerDined on 9/24/2014The menu is a little dated (when was the last time you saw a lemon skirt) but the food was decent. Our group of 6 split the appetizer for 4 and it was a nice portion so we all got to try some of each, except for the oysters. The crab soup is deliciously creamy, but the soft-shell crabs, which I love but they were "soggy" so unfortunately I was rather disappointed (as was the rest of the group; 5 out of 6 of us ordered it). Service was decent, waiters are all very polite. One other thing I'll mention, most of their seafood food is swimming in butter - I love butter, but just a little too greasy for me (I'd ordered a broiled shrimp dish last time I was there and this time in the shrimp part of the appetizer).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/24/2014She crab soup is exceptional. The scallop-shrimp au gratin was excellent. The little gratis salads had more than just lettuce and were a nice additional to the meal. Our waitress, Stephanie, was a delight ~ very professional and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood are usDCfoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014I wanted lobster, so my elderly aunt ordered it as well. For her they removed the shell and cut it up which I really appreciated. They also offered grilled vegetables so I was able to eat healthy up and til dessert where chocolate offerings waylaid me. Delicious chocolate pecan pie for me and a rich yummy chocolate mousse cake for her.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014We had a group of 12 for lunch for a retirement. None of us had been to the wharf before, so did not know what to expect. Everyone loved it! The food was great at a good price. Loved the building, it seemsed dark in there, but had no trouble seeing the menu or food. Everyone said they would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but priceyCdawgieDined on 9/7/2014Tried the Wharf for the first time last Sunday for an early dinner. I had the "triple crab" special and it was excellent, the softshell crab, the crab cake, and the lump crab in sauce all had their own distinct flavors and textures, and the crab was of top quality. My friends' snapper and mussels also very well prepared. A bit of sticker shock when the bill came but what're ya gonna do?Special Features:
- price doesn't match atmosphereEnjoyingLife29Dined on 9/6/2014First off, the food was delicious. The service, started out a little rough, but ended great. My wife and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and thought this might be a romantic place to eat. Unfortunately, the price of the food did not match the atmosphere. A group behind us had a guy laughing like he was at a bbq and a group in front of us sounded like they had too many drinks. I understand that on Saturdays many different types of people go out. We unfortunately just chose the wrong place for the occasion. Nothing against the food nor the service, I just wouldn't recommend going there if you are planning on having an intimate celebration. Promotion? winning a game? Have at it; this will definitely fit that type of mood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary BlissUKAV8TORDined on 9/6/2014A fabulous meal. We shared a mixed seafood platter to start and then respectively, the Maine Salmon and Half Lobster Linguine. Alongside a half bottle of chilled White wine (Pouilly Fumé) this was a class act. Definitely go back... Superb unobtrusive service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wounderful placeNewtotheareaVIPDined on 9/6/2014Between the food and the staff, this was the greatest experience that I have had at a restaurant in Old Town. Jose was excellent. The service that he provided was beyond what I expected and every time he came to the table he had a smile on his face. I will definitely be returning and referring my guest to this place. Good job!!!!Special Features:
- Great time!Prof2014Dined on 9/6/2014Took a group of 12 to lunch on a Saturday afternoon. Food was delicious and service was terrific. We will continue to use The Wharf for future engagements.Special Features:
- Best Seafood in Old TownChriscVIPDined on 9/5/2014The Wharf never disappoints. Professional service.Special Features:
- PassableFoodieDined on 9/5/2014The noise level made it difficult for our group to hold a conversation and we ended up contributing to the increasing volume.
- ExcellentFoodieDined on 9/3/2014On vacation and read reviews on Open Table. We were not disappointed.Special Features:
- akm09Dined on 9/2/2014Delicious food! Great service and knowledgable wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- badmamajamaDined on 8/30/2014Two of us had stomach issues after eating the mahi mahi and the lobster and chicken were very dry.
- Great dining exerienceBobNCDined on 8/30/2014The food was excellent as was the service. We'll dine there again when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- blah will not go againblahDined on 8/27/2014We had a number of things to eat there. 1) They forgot to season anything (we had fried combo, fillet, stuffed shrimp none of it had it or it was way under seasoned) Very bland in my opinion. As my wife put it, "would be a good place to bring young kids or older people who enjoy bland food"
- Really enjoyed dinner!SavagePuffinDined on 8/25/2014The she-crab soup was delicious. The service was pretty good - a little slow, but overall I was really happy with the food and the ambiance. We had a great time, and would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!FoodieQueenMKHDined on 8/23/2014Dinner at the Wharf was hands down amazing! My husband and I came here for Alexandria Restaurant week. We had their oysters on the half shell, crab and shrimp fritters, and calamari to start...ALL DELISH. I had the lobster, shrimp, and crab dish with their delish garlic butter sauce with a baked potato. My husband had the horseradish crusted salmon with a side of rice pilaf. Also very good. At one point in the night I spilled my apple martini and our waiter cleaned it up and gave me another one free of charge! So sweet! We were too full to have our dinner so we took it home. Service and dinner was superb..We will be back in a couple of weeks to try some more of their amazing dishes!Special Features:
- Date NightMoni0899Dined on 8/23/2014I found this restaurant on open table. I took my fiancé here for a date night. We took the taxi boat from the National Harbor, it was $16 each round trip and was about a 15-20 minute ride. The ride was very smooth and had beautiful views. When we finally got to Alexandria The Wharf was about a block and a half walking distance. Which wasn't bad at all. We liked looking at the surrounding shops on the way. We were promptly seated once we arrived. We ordered the calamari as an appetizer and it was delicious as was the bread and butter that was brought to us. My fiancé had the fried seafood platter and I had the broiled seafood platter. We enjoyed our entrees as well. All in all a nice date spot, dim lighted ambiance and spectatular service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambianceShinyOctopusDined on 8/23/2014Great seafood selections in this Old Town staple. I went here for my birthday and we took advantage of the restaurant week specials. Everything was cooked well, came out hot and tasted delicious. I had a great experience and would definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous As AlwaysKBMyPointofViewDined on 8/22/2014Always a wonderful dining experience. Service, Food, Atmosphere!!! Our server Oscar is always FABULOUS! A real favorite!Special Features:
- great soft shell crabei8htohmsDined on 8/22/2014Packed in amongst a number of good looking restaurant options, we found the food and service all very good. The waiter was quick and efficient and offered good suggestions, the food came quickly and was delicious, particularly the oysters on the half shell and the soft shell crab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ROMANCEinnesDined on 8/22/2014So I met this great girl on match.com and we picked this place to meet. The light level was med-light which was good for seeing my beautiful date and reading the menace. We were there about three hours slowly ordering and eating. The waitress was patient with us and never pestered us but ensured we had plenty of time together as well as kept our orders coming. Great experience.Special Features:
- Good SeafoodeclipsegroupieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Enjoyed eating at The Wharf for Restaurant Week. Was surprised at the lovely seafood offerings. We loved the she-crab soup, the best I've ever eaten. Our main courses were good, but slightly overcooked. The salmon was pretty tasteless. The service was good in general, though they rushed us through the first course, bringing the main course before I was finished with my soup. I would have preferred to linger a bit more.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised...FeeWDined on 8/20/2014My friends and I wanted to try something new / different since it was restaurant week. All of our meals were hot, the seafood was fresh and plentiful and tasty. The bread pudding was not something I would recommend though...not served as hot as it should and was a bit soggy because of the raspberry. Otherwise, very pleased overall.Special Features:
- Great seafood and customer serviceMilahDined on 8/19/2014Took a friend out for dinner during restaurant week, the waiter was very nice and patient and gave his explanations/ recommendations of the menu items. The food from the soup to the dessert was awesome. I especially liked the saucy blue crab succotash, was surprisingly very tasty. My main cours of day boat scallops and gulf shrimp wrapped in bacon was also perfectly cooked and so flavorful. I would definitely come back here for a seafood meal again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Town MainstayStephenVIPDined on 8/19/2014The Warf has been around for ages. It serves well-prepared classic seafood dishes--nothing that will make the food channel but nothing that will upset your finicky relatives either. The fried calamari appetizer was a particular stand out as were the shrimp and scallops with bacon on a skewer. A good place to go for the evening if you are a local or a tourist looking for something better than the typical tourist traps in that part of town.
- Great taste, just a little moreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014The seafood here is outstanding! But for those eating to perform, this comes shy of the zone diet serving when it comes to the Wharf Duo dish. The taste was great, but half the prescribed serving of 28 grams of protein. I guess this is just an inherent aspect of fine dining with seafood. Not a major setback though because taste made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FindFantasticDined on 8/18/2014I love Restaurant Week. I usually try to find a new restaurant that we have not been to before. The Wharf is one that we will definitely come back for more. As with other reviews the she-crab soup was fantastic. Make sure you try the shrimp and crab fritters, too. The house red wine was very good, our meals were delicious. We had a great waiter: friendly, helpful, but only there when we needed him. You could hear the conversation at your table - nice to talk - the bar was quiet - we went on a Monday evening. Prices were reasonable-this is downtown King Street Alexandria - nothing is cheap. But we got good value. A nice place to bring guests.Special Features:
- An off night for The WharfBob64Dined on 8/18/2014We've enjoyed lobsters at The Wharf 3 times a year since 1990. This time was a disappointment! Ordered 2 1 ½ pounders; were told they only had 1 but had a 2 pounder. We said OK (thinking we would get 1 of each). Server thought we only wanted the 2 pounder to share (do many folks share a lobster?). When she brought 1 lobster and baked potato, we ordered another but that put everything off kilter. Little things added to our disappointment: over-cooked baked potatoes with thick "too chewy" bacon slices; had to ask for bibs; no hot moist towels for hand clean-up. Great service/getting little things right have always made The Wharf our favorite place for special occasions. If this had been our first visit, we wouldn't return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Had a birthday dinner for my spouse. The restaurant was very accommodating for a sizeable crowd (15). Service was excellent and the food was very good. The wine list was fairly limited, but did find suitable whites and reds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just HorribleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014Poor poor establishment. Food quality is poor and so overpriced. The manager, Pedro, is unprofessional (and that is being nice).
- RonaldDined on 8/16/2014Great food and service especially helped my elderly parents who needed a little extra time and are hard of hearing. We were well taken care of. I'll be backSpecial Features: