119 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wharfrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 703-836-2836x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Wharf
History has been written inside the walls of the Wharf, with its 1790's style architecture featuring original wood columns and beams that are charred black from a Civil War fire. Since 1971, satisfied diners have been heading to The Wharf in Old Town for whole Maine lobster, local soft shell crabs and prime steaks. The restaurant has recently been renovated and remodeled and the menu updated to include many contemporary seafood items along with their traditional Chesapeake Bay creations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
The Wharf - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
The Wharf reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (77)romantic (62)neighborhood gem (61)fit for foodies (53)good for groups (28)great for outdoor dining (26)notable wine list (26)great for lunch (18)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (8)late-night find (8)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Nice staff good food and weOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/17/2010Nice staff good food and we were served very quickly. Our food was cooked the way we wanted, the portions were alittel small but resonable.Special Features:
- Appetizers (calimari and cornmealOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/17/2010Appetizers (calimari and cornmeal crusted oysters) were delicious as was the haddock entree. The grilled tuna special was disappointing in every way from the cut of the steak to the method of preparation (i.e. smothered in roasted peppers). I asked for a rare steak but it was overcooked. The waiter offered to have the kitchen prepare a new dish but I declined given that I didn't really care for the dish overall but that was my mistake, I should have sought more information on the cut and preparation. Overall, the service was attentive and pleasant and the food wss decent; I will return but it doesn't rise to my list of recommended restaurants.
- Food was bad - bland. DessertOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/15/2010Food was bad - bland. Dessert was frozen in the middle. The service was worse, The waitress brought our soup and salad together and then less than 5 minutes later brought us our entree and actually took our salads that we were not done eating, No refills on water or wine. Gave us our check as she gave us our dessert. Def. not worth the $100 we had to pay.
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/9/2010The food and service were excellent. The ambiance would have rated higher but there was an extremely loud table in the middle of the dining room and the maitre d' did not ask them to lower their voices. We were the only frustrated diners.
- When we arrived we were seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/8/2010When we arrived we were seated immediately, and presented menus. The waiter was very friendly and very attentive to our needs. The food arrived in a timely manner and was excellent.IT was a very good experience.Special Features:
- I was expecting better. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/2/2010I was expecting better. The prices were a tad high for the overall experience. I wouldn't not recommend it, but I might suggest other restaurants. It left nothing for me to desire to return.
- Not the best for New YearsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/31/2009Not the best for New Years Eve. For $30 meals, the service and the ambiance did not live up to it. The meals were mediocre at best.
- An elegant setting that isJaketheSnakeDined on 12/30/2009An elegant setting that is a little pricey but good.Special Features:
- I had the Norfolk combinationHStreetYuppieVIPDined on 12/26/2009I had the Norfolk combination which included crab and lobster. The crab was incredible!Special Features:
- The fried oysters appetizerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/26/2009The fried oysters appetizer was very good, but the two dinner specials we ordered, Pecan Encrusted Mahi Mahi and the Wild Stuffed Rockfish were uninspired. Both were overcooked as well. The vegetable choices I found quite odd. Baked potato, French Fries, Corn and Cole Slaw. Talk about uninspired !
- Excellent food and servicemcubbageVIPDined on 12/22/2009Excellent food and service at fair prices. Bar made weak drinks, so go for the wine or beer!Special Features:
- The two of us had a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/12/2009The two of us had a great time. Our Waiter helped us with the wine selection and the entrees. Very good service. The view of King Street during with Christmas decorations was great also.Special Features:
- Great food! Will definitelyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/12/2009Great food! Will definitely return. I went on a Saturday evening around 6 PM, which was a good time because there were few customers and service was good.Special Features:
- The food was prepared withOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/11/2009The food was prepared with style and was cooked to perfection. Service was friendly and the ambiance was charming, pleasant and private. I highly recommend and will definitely come back again.Special Features:
- The food here is excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/10/2009The food here is excellent, and the location is great for anyone spending some time in Old Town Alexandria.Special Features:
- WE ENJOYED THE FOOD; THE SHE-CRABOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/28/2009WE ENJOYED THE FOOD; THE SHE-CRAB SOUP AND THE CRAB CAKES WERE ESPECIALLY DELICIOUS. THE SERVICE WAS GREAT. WE WOULD GO BACK TO THE WHARF AGAIN THE NEXT TIME WE VISIT ALEXANDRIA.Special Features:
- I almost cancelled my reservationFriendVIPDined on 11/21/2009I almost cancelled my reservation based on reviews I had read prior. I am glad I did not. We had a party of four. Everyone ordered something different. The food was very good. The waiter was attentive but not overbearing. He did however, bring the staters before taking our dinner orders. Overall, we all enjoyed the food and the selection of the table made it so we did not heard anyone's conversation but our own
- Have eaten there before, foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/15/2009Have eaten there before, food is always good, service is usually good as well, although can be a little slow. (servers have too many tables). A little pricey, but good seafood. Desserts not that great, (Creme brulee was cold.)
- Very good experience. We enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/6/2009Very good experience. We enjoyed the location, food, ambiance and service. My wife and I both selected specials (seafood) of the day and were pleased. Good value.
- The food was outstanding theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/30/2009The food was outstanding the cashew chicken was excellent hat off to the chef and the drink was very tastee along with the service last but not least the prices was very reasonable .Special Features:
- great seafood! The swordfishOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/17/2009great seafood! The swordfish was an awesome thick cut!Special Features:
- Retaurant was continuouslyHarryVIPDined on 10/10/2009Retaurant was continuously busy through the evening but my reservation was honored. All our fish choices were very good but the main courses arrived just as the appetizers were being cleared. I would have preferred a little break. I definitely will go back when I am back in the area.Special Features:
- The seafood is very good;OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/10/2009The seafood is very good; however if you don't want seafood, there are very few other options.Special Features:
- I viewed a few pictures ofOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2009I viewed a few pictures of this restaurant on line and it appeared to be a more upscale dining experience. It's not. Don't let the pictures of the white tablecloths fool you. Don't know where that was taken but where I sat was a red vinyl booth with a pine table that looked like a back yard picnic table. The food was average. If you don't know any better you might think it's great. This place is very casual. Would not advise going there for a special date or occasion if you are looking to impress someone. You'll probably be sitting, as I was, next to a guy in a ball cap and a t-shirt with the sleeves cut out of it.
- This dinner was overpriced,PjtrivitaVIPDined on 9/25/2009This dinner was overpriced, portions were small, and the server got both our wine order and my food order wrong. Not our best restaurant experience in Old Towne.
- Our dining experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2009Our dining experience was excellent from the moment we arrived. The food was fantastic and the service couldn't have been better. Thanks for making my birthday special!Special Features:
- WE were celebrating our anniversaryLuv2eatDined on 9/18/2009WE were celebrating our anniversary. The food was woderful and the location was perfect. The seafood was fresh and the pecan crusted mahi mahi was wonderful. The crab cakes were very meaty and not filled with filler. I hope to return there sometime soon.Special Features:
- The food and the service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2009The food and the service were excellent I had the house specialty crab & the person I was dining with had the stuffed flounder both were excellent.
- Food was excellent and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/8/2009Food was excellent and service great. A very relaxing and enjoyable experience.
- Was just okay. Don't knowOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/28/2009Was just okay. Don't know if I would make a effort to return.
- My wife's crab was fantstic.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2009My wife's crab was fantstic. My lobster was only fair - it wasn't very tender.
- Very dark and the room feltOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/21/2009Very dark and the room felt very small with so many staff running around. The crab cakes were alright. Would go back if someone invited me, but not a first choice.
- Absolutely amazing food, butChicagoToDCVIPDined on 8/17/2009Absolutely amazing food, but the service was sort of lackluster. If you can endure sometimes slow service, the food is absolutely work the wait!Special Features:
- Went there for the wife'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2009Went there for the wife's B day. Food was outstanding. Very tasty and filling. The offering of fries as a side was a pleasant surprise and yummy. The staff was very pleasant and quick. Rarely was my glass of water less than half full. Calamari was great. She-crab soup was very very good; I would have loved to have taken home a half gallon as a take-out. Wharf provided a lovely bread pudding with a scoop of ice cream and a single candle which was also very tasty. Looking at the salads and soups - I think we will visit again and do a soup/salad lunch. We had a 6:00pm reservation and restaurant was pretty much empty. Parking is very close and reasonable. In short, loved it.Special Features:
- The ambience was wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2009The ambience was wonderful. The food was superb. The food was pricey. The service was above average. The location was sublime. Over all 4 stars. Definitely will come again and bring more friends. We were with a group of 4 from DC, VA, Hawaii, and Alaska.Special Features:
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2009The food was excellent and the service was even better. My water glass never got below a couple of sips below the top. It was also incredibly fast!Special Features:
- Went for my birthday, amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2009Went for my birthday, amazing service, the crabcakes were amazing, excellent wine list, always recommended!Special Features:
- In town from Michigan duringOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/21/2009In town from Michigan during our 25th wedding anniversary. Made reservations sight unseen and could not have been happier. Great food, great service, terrific waiter. Highly recommended. Thanks.Special Features:
- The Wharf Restaurant providedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2009The Wharf Restaurant provided a nice and enjoyable Sunday dinner setting. Generally, the family and I dine at numerous establishments in the area and The Wharf would rate fairly high among the list. Meanwhile, there is nothing that would encourage me to return (the interior is antique and non-contemporary in styling), the entrees were fresh, innovative and re-freshening. I enjoyed one of the specials of the day, which were a set of soft shell crabs. My company enjoyed the crab cakes, which were ample in size and actually contained more crab than filler or krab. While visiting old Town, I would return to the Wharf to try another dish, but there are so many restaurants to try out! I rate The Wharf a 4 out of 5.Special Features:
- Had the Lobster, Shrip, ScallopsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2009Had the Lobster, Shrip, Scallops Norfolk- amazing for a lobster and butter lover, both of which I am. Obviously a walk around King street makes for a great night out at this place.Special Features: