119 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wharfrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 703-836-2836x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Wharf
History has been written inside the walls of the Wharf, with its 1790's style architecture featuring original wood columns and beams that are charred black from a Civil War fire. Since 1971, satisfied diners have been heading to The Wharf in Old Town for whole Maine lobster, local soft shell crabs and prime steaks. The restaurant has recently been renovated and remodeled and the menu updated to include many contemporary seafood items along with their traditional Chesapeake Bay creations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
The Wharf - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
The Wharf reviews from OpenTable diners
166 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (85)romantic (65)neighborhood gem (63)fit for foodies (51)great for outdoor dining (27)good for groups (26)notable wine list (25)great for lunch (21)great for brunch (15)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (10)scenic view (10)hot spot (5)Show More
- Retaurant was continuouslyHarryVIPDined on 10/10/2009Retaurant was continuously busy through the evening but my reservation was honored. All our fish choices were very good but the main courses arrived just as the appetizers were being cleared. I would have preferred a little break. I definitely will go back when I am back in the area.Special Features:
- The seafood is very good;OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/10/2009The seafood is very good; however if you don't want seafood, there are very few other options.Special Features:
- I viewed a few pictures ofOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2009I viewed a few pictures of this restaurant on line and it appeared to be a more upscale dining experience. It's not. Don't let the pictures of the white tablecloths fool you. Don't know where that was taken but where I sat was a red vinyl booth with a pine table that looked like a back yard picnic table. The food was average. If you don't know any better you might think it's great. This place is very casual. Would not advise going there for a special date or occasion if you are looking to impress someone. You'll probably be sitting, as I was, next to a guy in a ball cap and a t-shirt with the sleeves cut out of it.
- This dinner was overpriced,PjtrivitaVIPDined on 9/25/2009This dinner was overpriced, portions were small, and the server got both our wine order and my food order wrong. Not our best restaurant experience in Old Towne.
- Our dining experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2009Our dining experience was excellent from the moment we arrived. The food was fantastic and the service couldn't have been better. Thanks for making my birthday special!Special Features:
- WE were celebrating our anniversaryLuv2eatDined on 9/18/2009WE were celebrating our anniversary. The food was woderful and the location was perfect. The seafood was fresh and the pecan crusted mahi mahi was wonderful. The crab cakes were very meaty and not filled with filler. I hope to return there sometime soon.Special Features:
- The food and the service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2009The food and the service were excellent I had the house specialty crab & the person I was dining with had the stuffed flounder both were excellent.
- Food was excellent and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/8/2009Food was excellent and service great. A very relaxing and enjoyable experience.
- Was just okay. Don't knowOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/28/2009Was just okay. Don't know if I would make a effort to return.
- My wife's crab was fantstic.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2009My wife's crab was fantstic. My lobster was only fair - it wasn't very tender.
- Very dark and the room feltOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/21/2009Very dark and the room felt very small with so many staff running around. The crab cakes were alright. Would go back if someone invited me, but not a first choice.
- Absolutely amazing food, butChicagoToDCVIPDined on 8/17/2009Absolutely amazing food, but the service was sort of lackluster. If you can endure sometimes slow service, the food is absolutely work the wait!Special Features:
- Went there for the wife'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2009Went there for the wife's B day. Food was outstanding. Very tasty and filling. The offering of fries as a side was a pleasant surprise and yummy. The staff was very pleasant and quick. Rarely was my glass of water less than half full. Calamari was great. She-crab soup was very very good; I would have loved to have taken home a half gallon as a take-out. Wharf provided a lovely bread pudding with a scoop of ice cream and a single candle which was also very tasty. Looking at the salads and soups - I think we will visit again and do a soup/salad lunch. We had a 6:00pm reservation and restaurant was pretty much empty. Parking is very close and reasonable. In short, loved it.Special Features:
- The ambience was wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2009The ambience was wonderful. The food was superb. The food was pricey. The service was above average. The location was sublime. Over all 4 stars. Definitely will come again and bring more friends. We were with a group of 4 from DC, VA, Hawaii, and Alaska.Special Features:
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2009The food was excellent and the service was even better. My water glass never got below a couple of sips below the top. It was also incredibly fast!Special Features:
- Went for my birthday, amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2009Went for my birthday, amazing service, the crabcakes were amazing, excellent wine list, always recommended!Special Features:
- In town from Michigan duringOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/21/2009In town from Michigan during our 25th wedding anniversary. Made reservations sight unseen and could not have been happier. Great food, great service, terrific waiter. Highly recommended. Thanks.Special Features:
- The Wharf Restaurant providedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2009The Wharf Restaurant provided a nice and enjoyable Sunday dinner setting. Generally, the family and I dine at numerous establishments in the area and The Wharf would rate fairly high among the list. Meanwhile, there is nothing that would encourage me to return (the interior is antique and non-contemporary in styling), the entrees were fresh, innovative and re-freshening. I enjoyed one of the specials of the day, which were a set of soft shell crabs. My company enjoyed the crab cakes, which were ample in size and actually contained more crab than filler or krab. While visiting old Town, I would return to the Wharf to try another dish, but there are so many restaurants to try out! I rate The Wharf a 4 out of 5.Special Features:
- Had the Lobster, Shrip, ScallopsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2009Had the Lobster, Shrip, Scallops Norfolk- amazing for a lobster and butter lover, both of which I am. Obviously a walk around King street makes for a great night out at this place.Special Features:
- Wasn't too impressed. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2009Wasn't too impressed. Food was good, but nothing spectacular. PORTIONS ARE REALLY SMALL! Didn't have a horrible time, but definitely would not go back.
- I'm glad I read a few reviewsVAfoodieDined on 7/10/2009I'm glad I read a few reviews before selecting The Wharf. The exterior of the restaurant does not do it justice. We all wanted a great seafood meal, and we chose the right place. The upstairs dining room, with windows overlooking King Street, was a great place to be. One of the Chef's specials of the day was tasty, a great blend of flavors. My friends raved about the French onion soup. Would definitely select this place again.Special Features:
- Best She-crab soup on earth!NixMacDined on 7/3/2009Best She-crab soup on earth! We had the soup and the Radicchio, Walnut salad. Beware the balsamic vinagraitte is sour, sour, sour. If that doesn't bother you this is the dressing for you. I opted for the bleu cheese which is very thick, home made and full of wonderful bleu cheese chunks! Mmm. Hubby had the clams casino which are his favorite. One slice of crispy bacon on top of each fresh clam, with diced red and green peppers. Yummy! We love this place. We would never visit Alexandria without coming here within 24 hours and sometimes even twice during our visits. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Food was outstanding - theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/29/2009Food was outstanding - the crab cakes, the best we've ever experienced!Special Features:
- Food was excellent. Sat outsideOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2009Food was excellent. Sat outside in quaint Old Town. Seating outside was too tight..too many tables together on top of each other. Lobster was a bit overpriced. $35 per lb for stuffed lobster. Service was ok, some wait staff better than others. Overall I would return for a special occasion for a lobster treat..but would have to be worth the investment!Special Features:
- Very good food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/22/2009Very good food and service. We had a business dinneer and everyone was pleased with the entire experience from food, service, location and atmosphere.
- Not very impressive to a localash29VIPDined on 6/19/2009Not very impressive to a local but in a prime spot for tourists I guess.Special Features:
- It was my niece's 19th birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/13/2009It was my niece's 19th birthday celebration and they brought a cake and sang happy birthday. The service was excellent as was the food.Special Features:
- Some of the best service weOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/6/2009Some of the best service we ever recieved!! A great way to spend our 3rd Anniversary (:Special Features:
- We started wit the she crabOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/5/2009We started wit the she crab soup which was good. The fried and baked oyster appetizers were excellent! We also had the stuffed flounder and the triple crab entree. Both were great. One notable bonus was the half bottles of wine available. This is becoming harder to find in restaurants and offers diners an option when they want different bottles and don't want to pay by the glass. The service was excellent and the timing on the courses was very good.Special Features:
- We had hoped to take out ofOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/2/2009We had hoped to take out of town friends to a historic restaurant in alexandria but could not get reservations so we opted for an east coast seafood experience. We think we were fortunate to not get in to our first choices! The food was wonderful, the waiter hit the right tone, offering friendly service without being intrusive, the specials were delicious and attractively presented. An overall wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- This was our first visit.luvitalianoDined on 5/31/2009This was our first visit. The atmosphere was just what we needed- relative peace andd quiet on a Sunday evening. The food was typical seafood restaurant and the portions were generous.Special Features:
- I had a friend visiting fromOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/29/2009I had a friend visiting from out of town and wanted to show him Old Town Alexandria. He is from the midwest and wanted fresh seafood. The restaurant itself is fairly dark and not welcoming downstairs, but the food was excellent and the service was also very good. I would definitely consider going their again.
- The food was really good,dobberDined on 5/24/2009The food was really good, but the portions were smaller than at most places. The seafood tower should really be called the seafood platter, but it did come with a full lobster.Special Features:
- We enjoyed the Wharf and theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/22/2009We enjoyed the Wharf and the food and service was very good. It was a nice quiet place to dine. I would recommend this restaurant as a very nice place to go for seafood. The crab cakes were delicious.Special Features:
- The description lists suggestedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/16/2009The description lists suggested dress as smart casual, in fact any dress goes. On the night I dined there I was business casual dress and was way over dressed. They allow shorts, t-shirts, sandals, even flip=flops. There is no dress code. Service adequate, but I was expecting a lot more from the description. Food was fantastic. They use their upstairs private dining room as over-flow space on busy nights, not as nice as downstairs so make sure you get a downstairs table.
- The food was ok, but thereOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/9/2009The food was ok, but there are better restaurants in Old Town, and I won't be going back to this restaurant.
- I was not impressed with theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/8/2009I was not impressed with the Wharf. I was confused as to why everything on the menue was priced so high. My peacan crusted chicken was tasteless, and the potato skines were burned and way too crispy. I'm not a fan of potato skins without toppings and just eating a horseradish sauce. It was way too quiet and dark upstairs. There needs to be more windows... I probably will never go here again.Special Features:
- Went there for our 3rd weddingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/2/2009Went there for our 3rd wedding anniversary and loved it! The crab-stuffed shrimp was out of this world!!! The serving staff could have been more attentive but I LOVED the food!Special Features:
- The Crabcakes are AWESOME!RogerDined on 4/30/2009The Crabcakes are AWESOME! The BEST in old town Alexandria.Special Features:
- very thing was tasty concerningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/25/2009very thing was tasty concerning it was last minute, it's our plan to return for dinner as well as recommend to friends and family.Special Features: