119 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wharfrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 703-836-2836x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Wharf
History has been written inside the walls of the Wharf, with its 1790's style architecture featuring original wood columns and beams that are charred black from a Civil War fire. Since 1971, satisfied diners have been heading to The Wharf in Old Town for whole Maine lobster, local soft shell crabs and prime steaks. The restaurant has recently been renovated and remodeled and the menu updated to include many contemporary seafood items along with their traditional Chesapeake Bay creations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
The Wharf - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
The Wharf reviews from OpenTable diners
161 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (83)romantic (63)neighborhood gem (62)fit for foodies (50)great for outdoor dining (27)good for groups (26)notable wine list (25)great for lunch (20)great for brunch (14)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (10)late-night find (9)hot spot (5)Show More
- expensive mediocre foodDaveDined on 7/26/2014Went to the wharf over the weekend and wasn't very happy. Food was $30+ a plate and lacked a lot to be desired. I had the Mahi Mahi which was incredibly bland, another had Scallops which were better but still forgettable. Another friend ordered a $100 stuff lobster on unknowingly with no heads up from the waiter. (If it says market price you should at least give an idea of the size). I would have assumed a pound or so as well, not the 2.5lb @ $40/lb beast that came. On top, waited literally an hour once we ordered to get our food and as a result missed the fireworks. Atmosphere was good and definitely for a romantic dinner, just with everything else I doubt I will be back and know many better places.
- robs revieweatoutDined on 7/26/2014My friend had the salmon, which she said was very good. I had the grilled seafood platter, which was skimpy. The crab cake was too moist with not enough crab in it. The wine was excellent.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014pleasantly surprised, good food quality and service for the money, entrees very good , may want to add a bit more flavor to clam chowder but overall excellent. My daughter lives in old town and I highly recommended your restaurant to her and her husband. We will be back, P.S - would like to see Santa Margharita by the glass! thanks, Steve and SusanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic Alexandria ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Delicious seafood entrees, cozy booths, wonderful waiter--all in the heart of Old Town.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday at the Wharf DinnerjmreviewsDined on 7/20/2014My dinner at the Wharf was an outstanding meal. Choosing one of the specials--the filet mignon with lobster was the right idea. The service, the ambiance and the wine were components of an exceptional evenging out. The handsome and more than capable wait staff was attentive, but non obtrusive--the perfect combination. They paced the meal appropriately so that it could be savored instead of rushed. They offererd great suggestions. They know their menu and its strengths and speak well to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- evening without the kidsMeganDined on 7/18/2014My husband and I had a Friday night dinner without the kids - it was crowded, but we were still able to get a table. We had good attentive service and the Italian food is classic - always a dependable restaurant for dinner.Special Features:
- Good FoodFoodFanVIPDined on 7/18/2014I have been to The Wharf a few times and have been pleased every time. The food is good; a wide variety that should please even the pickiest eater...I know...I'm one of them. The wait staff is generally good, but seem to look at you disapprovingly if you are dressed casually. The restaurant tends to get a little loud; small space and loud customers don't mix well. That would be my only complaint, but overall, I really like the restaurant! Give it a try and decide for yourself!Special Features:
- deliciousBabblesVIPDined on 7/18/2014Great seafood restaurant with amazing service. Highly recommend you try one of their specialsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always.Billthecat1Dined on 7/15/2014Great dining experience at The Wharf this week. As always, the food was top quality (especially the she crab soup) and the service was outstanding. I was there on business and it capped off a great night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014Such a wonderful that captures colonial charm and outstanding food.Special Features:
- never a bad mealHouseDined on 7/12/2014We continue to go to the wharf and have yet to have a bad meal. The food is always great, the service is always on top of its game, and we always have a great time. Make sure you have a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice overallbellaDined on 7/12/2014If you are going in the evening be sure to make a reservation, the food was very good, service was excellent. Close to the river walk and parking garage.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperiencekkinvaDined on 7/12/2014This is the second time I ate here - both times bringing friends from out of town with me. I chose this place because it serves wonderful fish and seafood. It did not disappoint. The crab cakes are fantastic as is the cod with lobster. There is no dress code; however, we were certainly underdressed in our shorts and sneakers.Special Features:
- Bacon Wrapped ScallopsScrumptiousDined on 7/11/2014The scallops were cooked to perfection! They melted in my mouth. This is an appetizer but was a perfect size for a meal. The fried onions they were on had a perfect sweet sauce. We were seated quickly and the waiters were fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & servicedalav8rVIPDined on 7/11/2014Food was very good. The Blackened Tuna steak & the Halibut were cooked perfectly. Service was excellent as well. Overall a great dining experience I'd highly recommend.Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 7/11/2014The food was just ok. The bread and butter were like what you'd buy at the supermarket. The she crab soup was delicious. I got the soft shell crab special but it was drenched in butter. I couldn't really enjoy it. I got the mixed berry creme brûlée. It was more like pudding brûlée bc the creme part was like jello pudding consistency with some berries sprinkled in. I will not return but the experience was not that bad as to ward others off. Folks can try it out for themselves to see if their experience will be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wharf-lessOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/8/2014My southern catfish was well overcooked, so much that I couldn't slice the fish with my fork. It's not hard to fry fish at all, so the Chef must be overworked or just without talent. On the other hand, the vegetables were seasoned perfectly. The Wharf clearly hasn't spent much time on the decor. I get that it's heritege decor, but uncomfortable isnt a compromise to decor. I dumped $100 in this place and didn't bring it since I was on a first date and didn't want to leave a bad impression. I do not recommend at all. What a waste of money. I wish I could have my money back.
- Great for AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/7/2014The Wharf was great! We went for our second anniversary and the lobster and pasta was amazing. The portion sizes were perfect, the serving staff was on top of everything, to include knowing when to give us space. Love this place and would recommend to anyone looking for a special evening seafood based meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Food was wonderful! Service with Barbara was super! Clam chowder was so yummy! Steak and sea food was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok, not greatsdportDined on 7/5/2014The price for quality and quantity was lacking. My 12 year old daughter asked for a salad but requested that chicken be added. Waiter came back and stated chicken strip would be an additional $12. The kids meal chicken strip dinner was only $7. We felt very rushed. Open Table would only allow this to be submitted if I answered the would I recommend question. Need to have a "maybe" option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful & relaxing dinnerBlessed2DineDined on 7/5/2014My husband and I ate here Saturday evening and were lucky enough to get an outside table which made the experience all the more enjoyable. The wait staff was very attentive yet let you take your time and enjoy your dining experience. The crab cakes were wonderful! She-crab soup, scallops and lobster mashed potatoes were all very good. Thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandingout2eat2dayDined on 7/5/2014Outstanding food and service. We highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday LunchJimnDined on 7/5/2014Sat outside on a beautiful Saturday. Good beer. Good crab cake sandwich, although small. Good salmon. Ok mussels. Small potion and small mussels, but good sauce. Service somewhat slow. All in all though a good timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShmulDined on 7/4/2014Very good food but very expensive. Not vary many choices for kids and not very much flexibility with the menue. Waiter was kind but didnt seem to kno the menue very well and didnt go out of his way to make sure we got what we wantedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al fresco diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/4/2014Took advantage of the outstanding weather on the 4th of July and dined outdoors at the Wharf. Not a quiet experience with Alexandria rushing by on King Street, but a great dining event nonetheless. Had the Mahi and Stuffed Flounder off the menu (Mahi was outstanding, Flounder was very good), took our own bottle of wine ($25 corkage). Great food, good service, would return.Special Features:
- Old Town Great Dining SpotTriciaVIPDined on 6/28/2014We periodically come to the Wharf to dine and enjoy it each time. The interior is quaint and reservation staff easy to deal with. They also have tables on the sidewalk during the summer months for people who enjoy a true people watching experience! The menu choices are very extensive and they have lots of specials - whether you like fish or steak there is something for you to enjoy!! Their seafood soups are delicious and desserts delicious. When you are in Old Town be sure and make a reservation!Special Features:
- MyfirstvisitDined on 6/24/2014The food amount was insufficient, the cost of wine was too high, and we didn't think the quality of the food met gourmet seafood. Too much for too little.Special Features:
- A nice findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2014The best she crab soup I have ever had. Waiter was wonderful. A very pleasant dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationOutweg0Dined on 6/23/2014Went specifically to get lobster for our daughter's birthday. Main courses were good & shrimp garlic appetizer. Sides were really less than I expect for this price range. 'Garlic mashed potatoes' tasted like instant potatoes. No good fresh choices like a good steamed veggie, etc. asked about it but no real solution was offered. Did get a free dessert for daughter's bd. Spent ~ 250$ for 5 ppl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerRmncDined on 6/21/2014Dinner was great. The filet was very good. I understand the scallops were very tasty from another guest in our party. The kids enjoyed it as well. Service was quick (another plus when you have children).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is DeliciousswimwimiDined on 6/18/2014Wanted to go to a nice seafood restaurant for my birthday. The food was delicious. I definitely recommend dining here.Special Features:
- DianeVIPDined on 6/15/2014Had Sunday Brunch and the food was very good. The lobster and asparagus fritatta was delicious!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014Group dining is very tight. There are no options for picky teens who don't eat seafood.Special Features:
- Good RestaurantKencfpVIPDined on 6/14/2014Excellent food and service in quiet setting at fair pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice dining experiencekkinvaDined on 6/14/2014Two friends whom I haven't seen in a long time and I went to The Warf. It was a great place to go for a nice seafood meal (especially for my out of town friends) in a place where we could chat. The services was excellent - efficient, but not rushed. We had a leisurely meal. We ordered salmon, crab cakes and the cod. All dishes were delicious. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Food okay; service slownotbadDined on 6/14/2014Of 4 different entrees, 1 was spectacular (Shrimp linguini), 3 were okay (Mahi Mahi special, Chilean Sea Bass special, and the Surf and Turf). While the wait staff were lovely, it took 20 minutes to get espresso after ordering and it seemed that only the person refilling water glasses was actually paying much attention to what we needed.Special Features:
- A nice seafood lunchC67FVIPDined on 6/14/2014This was our 2nd or 3rd time at the Wharf, and the first time eating downstairs, and the first time for lunch. We had a seat at the windows along King St which provided great people watching. This time my party had fried oysters & succotash, she crab soup, crab & shrimp fritters, seafood norfolk, and a shrimp pasta dish. The soup and the fritters were outstanding. The oysters and succotash were good. The succotash was freshly made and it showed, although it could have used more seasoning. The seafood norfolk was OK. The seafood was cooked well, but the dish is unispired and could use much more seasoning. I think that is the overall theme - decent seafood albeit on the bland side.
- Ok but not greatabcedDined on 6/13/2014Looking for a local place to enjoy some seafood, The Wharf was recommended by Open Table. The dining experience was enjoyable and the food was okay. My Po Boy sandwich was more bread than oysters however my wife's salad had a good size piece of salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The WharfOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/12/2014The food was good and the people were very nice but I have never had a baked potatoe with bacon where they just put a whole strip of bacon between and left it there. Why not break it up in pieces?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ENJOYED DINNER!!!DianeVIPDined on 6/7/2014DINNER ON SATURDAY NIGHT WAS VERY ENJOYABLE. SEAFOOD TOWER AND THE CAESAR SALAD WAS EXCELLENT. IN THE PAST TIMES AT THE WHARF HAD SOFT SHELLED CRAB AND SAUTEED IN BUTTER AND ALMONDS WHICH WAS ALWAYS DELICIOUS. NOT OFFERED ANYMORE, JUST THE SOFT SHELLED CRAB IN BUTTER, BUT THIS WAS VERY GOOD. VERY ENJOYABLE EVENING.I would recommend this to a friend.