The Wharf-Madison Beach Hotel
94 West Wharf Road
Madison, CT 06443Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Wharf-Madison Beach Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.madisonbeachhotel.com/
- Phone: 2032451404x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 10:00am
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brendan Dion
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Guests have the unique opportunity to use the Resorts private Beach when planning their Event. Exquisite timeless design elements prove this Venue to be among the State's most coveted wedding Destinations. A expansive ball room affords spectacular views of Long Island Sound and outdoor Decks may offer a great chance to cool off while taking in nature's Beauty. Comfortable elegance is the theme in private event Spaces of variable sizes. The atmosphere in this Resort is one of genuine Hospitality which will be remembered for times to come.....
A word from The Wharf-Madison Beach Hotel
The Wharf Restaurant is located inside the newly constructed Madison Beach Hotel. Enjoy the natural beauty of Long Island Sound while seated in the comfortably elegant dining room or covered porch. Classic New England dishes are prepared with a fresh innovative flair. A collectors wine list with rare wines from hard to find vintages will please even the most discerning palette. Come and experience the genuine hospitality that is the foundation of our service!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Wharf-Madison Beach Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (70)great for outdoor dining (63)special occasion (36)romantic (29)great for lunch (27)great for brunch (20)good for groups (20)fit for foodies (14)neighborhood gem (13)notable wine list (12)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/28/2014We came to The Wharf for a birthday dinner. The setting is lovely, overlooking the Sound. The menu is not huge, but adding the Pub menu presents more options. Our server was very nice and knowledgeable, but the overall service was VERY slow. I don't think it was entirely her fault, but a combination of many things. While overall it was a nice evening, it went on about an hour too long. Mind you, while the deck was quite full, the dining room was empty except for us and one other couple.Special Features:
- Great scenery, and Food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014There scenery was incredible. Hostess was smiley, and friendly, and showed us right to our table. However, our waitress was new (only 2 days on the job), so service was a bit off. She forgot I ordered a second glass of wine, and I waited 10 minutes before receiving one. But, she was apologetic, and kind. And, the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gorgeous view with great foodCather123VIPDined on 9/26/2014A lovely birthday dinner despite a rowdy group at the bar. Beautiful room with a terrace overlooking the water. Delicious fresh fish. It felt special, although it would have been nicer if the noise from the bar didn't interfere with our conversation. Bad acoustics I guess. Combined with rude people. But the service was lovely, including a terrific bus man.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean Hot SpotNodineDined on 9/19/2014Best swordfish I've had all summer. Our group of 4 all really enjoyed our dinners. Plan to return.Special Features:
- Nice spotSeaviewDined on 9/13/2014Good food - inexpensive lobster all cracked - yummy salad, great martiniSpecial Features:
- Food good; service needs workmcosDined on 9/12/2014The patio has a lovely view and was quieter than inside, even though there weren't many diners in there, just a noisy bar. We were seated, orders taken and food arrived promptly. We had to ask for butter or olive oil for the very nice, warm rolls. Portions were small to adequate, not large. There was no salt and pepper on the table and our waitress was nowhere to be found to request them and a second glass of wine. Eventually another waitress assisted us with both. Our waitress reappeared to assure us we weren't abandoned but clearly we had been. Dessert was fair to good. The others courses were nicely prepared and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beach spot!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/1/2014If you are looking for a good place to eat on the water- this is the place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/29/2014I indicated that I would like a table on the terrace. Since we were told it would be a 30 -40 minute wait we opted to sit inside with the understanding that they would move us outside "even if it was just for dessert". Before we even ordered many tables started to empty but the hostess who said there was a waiting list had apparently neglected to put us on her written list since it was on the computer. And seemed to have forgotten who we were and what she had promised. Our iced tea never arrived until we had been seated over 20 minutes. My husband's sandwich fell apart when he picked it up so he had to eat it with a fork. The fries were cold. I would never recommend them to anyone nor return.Special Features:
- Good, but a few surprisesLouisiana606Dined on 8/25/2014Four of us (two couples ages 68-78) had reservations for lunch. We wanted to eat outside, but the tables available were in the sun. Although the dining room was not at all full, we had trouble hearing each other...and despite our ages we are not hard of hearing. There were at least 2 flies buzzing around our food the whole time. The wait staff was pretty nonchalant about getting to us and we had long waits. The food was good, the view was lovely. We have enjoyed going for cocktails and sitting outside, but wouldn't do lunch or dinner inside again. We live in CT only in the summer.Special Features:
- Absolutely OutstandingDSTravelDined on 8/19/2014My husband and I stayed at the Inn ~ fantastically charming ~ and met friends for a wonderful dinner. We began with cocktails, which we took to a seated area on the lawn and continued with a lovely walk in the back yard to the river. The wine list was very good and everyone enjoyed their meals. The staff was most accommodating ~ I do not do carbs, and the waitress was so helpful with immediatly suggesting a combination of two meals which was excellent! Yummy-looking desserts were enjoyed by some. The bartender was also very helpful and fun to chat with. We would love to return!Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014Beautiful setting for anniversary dinner. We got a free dessert because they knew it was our anniversary. The hotel has a fire outside with smores on Sunday night.Special Features:
- Madison Hotel Beach ClubFlipkaVIPDined on 8/16/2014So disappointed with this restaurant. Noise level was very high, food was mediocre, with small positions. Our dinners had to be sent back because they were so under cooked. Waitstaff was very poorly trained. Certainly not a high end dining experience.
- No outdoor reservationsnickDined on 8/12/2014This place is all about the view. When we arrived we were told that our reservations didn't apply to outdoor dining. It would have been nice to be aware of that beforehand. The food is mediocre and expensive. Our sever was excellent , even though the food was blah.Special Features:
- Very DisappointingJuniperDined on 8/12/2014I requested to sit on the outdoor porch when I made my reservation on Open Table but upon my arrival was told there would be a 45 minute wait. The hostess also indicated outdoor seating was not honored for reservations as it was available on a first come first served basis only. My guest and I were seated at an outdoor "bar" which was not comfortable for conversation although the view was very nice. The meal (lunch) took more than 45 minutes to arrive from ordering time and there was no information provided by management or waitstaff about the ridiculous delay. The food was very unexceptional. I would not recommend the Madison Beach Hotel for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- lunch last Saturdaymadisonbeach2014Dined on 8/2/2014Food was outstanding and served in a timely manner. Valle parking was very courteous and efficient. Was hoping when waitress dropped wine glass and it broke at my friends feet and they had to move to have it swept, they would have at least offered her a complementary wine, but it never occurred to the waitress.Special Features:
- Excellent!ShellDined on 7/26/2014Great dining experience I would highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular view from balconyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014If you can get on the balcony, the view is spectacular and it is quiet enough to easily carry on a conversation. If you have to dine inside, be prepared to raise your voice to be heard over the lively bar scene. The food is reasonably priced, well presented, but not as good as I would have expected from such a classy restaurant.Special Features:
- BB2571014Dined on 7/25/2014We were pleasantly surprised after reading some of the mixed reviews. The food was excellent, compliments to the Chef. The service was outstanding we only waited 10-15 minutes for our reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014My girlfriend and I had been to this place a number of times. This particular evening was a special occasion, as I planned on proposing to her. The evening turned out perfect, largely due to the courteous staff, great food, and scenic views. Truly a night to remember!Special Features:
- Can't beat the view!TonyDinerDined on 7/12/2014My wife and I ate at the Wharf at the Madison Beach Hotel for our regular weekend night out and the beautiful scenic view of the water made it feel like a romantic weekend away. We had a nice table on the porch overlooking the beachfront. The food was really good as well. I had the cod with a side order of polenta and my wife had the salmon and there were no leftovers for either of us. Our waiter was a bit slow and clumsy and not particularly engaging but the ambiance and food outweighed the less than stellar service. I definitely recommend the Wharf.Special Features:
- Great location - horrible overall!BGDinerVIPDined on 7/11/2014The views are fantastic! The staff is inexperienced and dumb! Horrible hostess didn't honor our OpenTable reservation. Finally got a table on the patio. Interior dining is like being on an old smelly cruise ship!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Enjoyed the staff and ambience. I wanted seafood for lunch, scallops and so ordered the appetizer with scallops, shrimp, bacon. FYI: the bacon overpowed the mildseafood...............too thickly cut and way too salty. I went away tasting only bacon. would not order again. I love bacon but the next morning I had to decline bacon with my eggs as the taste was STILL with me from the day before.Special Features:
- Waterfront GemmaggiedinesoutDined on 7/10/2014Enjoyed three wonderful meals at the Wharf-- breakfast, lunch and dinner. Beautiful setting on Madison Beach, attentive service and delicious food. Great selection of local provisions beautifully presented. Portions were generous, but not over done. Although a hotel restaurant, appears to be very popular with the locals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FenwayDined on 7/10/2014Food on floor when I pulled my chair out, no spoon with soup. had to ask for one and was given a teaspoon, had to ask for crackers, horseradish ,slow service, even though the dining room was almost empty, waitress was not friendly at all or available, had to flag down busboy. Only thing outstanding was the view, not worth the money.Special Features:
- AMAZING VIEWS AND GREAT FOOD!!! :)memeDined on 7/6/2014I enjoy this place every time I visit!! Love..love love the amazing outdoor dining while overlooking the beach and Long Island Sound from a distance!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and serviceSuezq2014Dined on 7/3/2014We had crab cakes and the calamari to start loved it!! Dinner was the lobster shrimp carbonara out of this world. Hanger steak not so much. Desserts excellent my fav strawberry shortcake . Staff couldn't have been more attentive and so polite!!!! Loved loved loved it will be back my new favoriteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice lunchMellVIPDined on 6/27/2014We enjoyed a pleasant meal on the deck, admiring the Long Island Sound views. I was happy to have some healthy lunch options opting for a mixed green salad with grilled chicken. My son really enjoyed his calamari.
- connieDined on 6/27/2014This is one of my favorite place during all seasons.....The view, the service, romantic, just a beautiful spot to forget your troubles. I have told many about this location and have brought many friends here, because it has such a unique feeling of relaxation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/26/2014Appetizer was good, but entree was "meh" (I had the arctic char). Dessert was very standard (I ordered coconut cake that had been refrigerated for quite some time and was dry and tasteless. My companion had the strawberry shortcake which was the same. The bench seats around the edge of the dining room are too low for the tables. Our server was excellent and since we requested to open the window, she let us - although she knew it would probably "screw up the air conditioning" - which I appreciated. And the view is to die for. Too bad it's full of people from Madison!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hotel Overnight Stay RemarksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014Booked overnight stay based on company sponsored visit over a year ago. At that time, did not recall any issues. The hotel is in beautiful location and the views are wonderful apparently from every room. BUT - when you start to pay a premium, there are certain basics you should not have to call service for - even if service is quick: no face cloths in room; used coffee/tea pod left in brewer; only one coffee mug in room. Are those small issues - yes; BUT for a hotel of Madison Beach caliber, kind of sad. My husband and I travel quite a bit and have never experienced such simple lapses. Yes, even when we have stopped at the occasionally 'Motel 8' variety! Was told at Front Desk the hotel had received a late delivery???Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very slow serviceRickDined on 6/21/2014the restaurant wasn't very full yet we still waited about 45 minutes for our food. they didn't even give us bread while we waited. food was ok. restaurant was very cold. great location.Special Features:
- best desserts on the shorelineseekerofsweetsDined on 6/18/2014It is rare to find a restaurant that devotes time and effort to fabulous desserts. The finely created delicacies at The Wharf rank with the best. Profiteroles filled with lemon curd gelato and surrounded by fresh raspberries, a chocolate cremeux with sweet and salty touches - beautiful to look at and delicious, very seasonally appropriate and classy with contemporary touches. Go for the view and dessert, but make sure to have their housemade gelato! What a find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tipntopDined on 6/15/2014Father's Day was our first time going to the Wharf for brunch, and it was a delightful experience. We have dined at the Wharf many times for lunch, dinner, and special occasions and have never been disappointed. The brunch is by far the best anywhere in New England, and we cannot wait to go back. Excellent food presentation, friendly staff, and attention to detail made our day. Thank you!!Special Features:
- Madison Beach HotelChazDined on 6/15/2014Great food, service, music, view and atmosphere! A great place to go for brunch with the family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 85th birthday funDelicious2meDined on 6/14/2014MY Parents live in the town but we don't go out as a family frequently. Everyone except parents live 4 plus hours away from this venue so we had never been here .Wedding reception was in process but didn't affect our dining experience. Looked like a lovely wedding... The servers and waitstaff were very accommodating and allowed us to linger over cocktails, dinner and coffee ,dessert. We ordered cocktails, from raw bar and each one of us had some seafood dish. Thankyou for helping make my fathers birthday a low-key pleasant affair.Special Features:
- AnonymousBusterDined on 6/14/2014Best location on the coast. Food is great. Service is marginal.Special Features:
- MisleadDisappointedDined on 6/10/2014In preparation to go to diner, I reviewed the Madison Hotel / restaurant web site menu. When we were seated in the restaurant were handed a menu that was very different than the one on the web site. Different in a negative way. Instead of lobster they had 4 different hamburgers (???). And, other interesting dishes detailed on the web site were not on the restaurant menu, nor were they available. Even dessert; the web site had old fashion root beer and cream soda floats - not on the menu AND when asked if we could get one I was told that they could not make one! Overall food quality was mediocre.Special Features:
- CeCeDined on 6/7/2014Great food, service and water views. Wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LI views, good foodJPM0713VIPDined on 6/6/2014The views of the sound are great, food was good, service, just Ok. Service reminds me of a club; inexperienced staff, littler to no adult supervision. Getting seated, with reservations was awkward, hostess was more interested in he conversation with her colleague than the arrival of guests; even though we were waiting for the other half of our party; no server approached for at least 10 minutes. The server seemed way over his head looking after us, super rushed and inattentive. A failed serving carafe of wine pour into a glass resulted in a spill, nice try to impress the young lady at the table. A fellow who appeared to be a manager was delivering food and he did a flyby glance at tables, never stopped to see how everything was.Special Features:
- Great food/poor serviceMadKDined on 6/6/2014I met some friends from Greenwich for lunch and suggested Madison a Beach a Hotel. They loved the location however we waited so long to order we figured we had been forgotten (which I think we had). Embarrassed, I had to flag down a waitress to take our order. The hostess then came over to apologize and gave us free drinks, which we appreciated. However when the bill came the free drinks weren't on there and we had to have the bill corrected. I still love The Wharf and everyone has a bad day, but it made a bad impression on my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.