The Whale & Ale
327 West 7th St
San Pedro, CA 90731Neighborhood:
BritishPrice: $30 and under
The Whale & Ale
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.whaleandale.com/
- Phone: 3108320363
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 1:00pm - 5:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, British
- Executive Chef: Chef Alonso
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Every Friday Piano & Guest musicians, song, Irish fiddle, etc. Every First Thursday Jazz Duo; Every Second Thursday Live New Orleans Jazz Band.
A word from The Whale & Ale
Welcome to San Pedro's Best and Only British Pub. With the Victorian decor and oak paneled walls, you'll feel like you've traveled across the pond!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Whale & Ale reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (4)special occasion (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (3)romantic (3)fit for foodies (3)hot spot (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- 43rd AnniversaryHaveaBallDined on 8/28/2014We had, over the years, made a habit of going to the Whale and Ale for all kinds of occasions for the family, but as the family grew we had to look for other choices due to the cost of the food and the size of the bill. So, my wife and I decided that for our 43rd Wedding Anniversary we would go back and see how, if at all, things had changed. To our great relief if had not changed at all. The food is to die for, the service was top of the line and we were treated with a specialness that helped make the evening memorable. We got free desert and champagne split of our very own complements from the owner and the waitress. It was just a special night with my special lady in a Great Restaurant that has maintained its' charm.Special Features:
- Very good fish&chips!ItsjustmeanddDined on 8/23/2014If only the service and decor was better... I would go here every week for the fish and chips!I would recommend this to a friend.
- English Pub in San PedroVivSVIPDined on 8/17/2014Tried this restaurant for dinner with friends. Most of our group loved the food. My fish and chips was a nice portion. I loved the cod that was served. I thought the thick breading was too thick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening get awaybbqmikeDined on 7/10/2014Food was great. Service was very good. Ambiance is the English restaurant setting. The salads were small, but the entrees made up for it.Special Features:
- Good place,good food,could be greatRipMDined on 7/7/2014This is a charming English-style pub. I went for a special occasion dinner and overall enjoyed the experience. The plus, food was good, appropriate English beer and nice selection at reasonable prices. I had the steak and Mushroom pie which was about a B+... flavor was good, the steak average, but it came with a bland square of pastry set on top which was flavor and color-less .Would have preferred a baked-on pastry top. My partner had the Beef Wellington, which was fine. The service was strange, the waitress was very deadpan, no smile, energy, or enthusiasm. She wasn't really unpleasant but certainly didn't add to the experience...Lastly the busboy was wearing dirty black clothes and the place could use a little deeper cleaning.Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gemmeeting2Dined on 6/21/2014Nice place to hangout. My seabass was tender and delicious. The service was excellent. If I lived in the area I would come again. However, I probably won't drive out from Orange County to come here for dinner again. For local people, yes do come and check it out.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014Great Calamari App. Sea Bass, Shepherds pie were very good! Our waitress was just great! Her great sense of humor and very good service really added a lot to an already very good meal! Thank you!I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true gem in San PedroCSDSDined on 6/6/2014The owner is an active part of the daily operations and it shows. There is a pride of place that isn't often seen these days. The food is delicious, the atmosphere is special, the live music is a treat and the staff are attentive. What more can you ask for??!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The WhaleUkeboyDined on 5/23/20144 Day weekend start, food great, Fr. nite music great. The only issue was the wine from wine list not available and substitute when bill arrived was $16 more, ouch! not mentioned by server.Special Features:
- The following 42 reviews are from the The Whale & Ale reviews archive.
- Sat at barmoviengrubDined on 5/20/2014just a casual lunch after a round of golf-had the fish and chips-my friend had a sandwich-bartender was friendly and we were very welcomed.Special Features:
- DaveVIPDined on 5/3/2014Good foodd and Ales, service was good. Just like being in a pup in England!Special Features:
- Pleasant eveningtravelloverDined on 4/25/2014The restaurant was very nicely decorated and certainly had the feel of a pub either in England or Ireland with the dark wood paneling etc. The tables are a bit crowded, but I have seen worse. I ordered the duck and it was REALLY good. My husband and our guests had the fish and chips and found them to be the best they had had in quite a while. We each tried a beer we had not had before with the help of the staff and she certainly did not lead us wrong. Would go back there again the next time we are in San Pedro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pub FoodRichardDined on 4/3/2014The very best pub food this side of Liverpool. Everything is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindPeteDined on 3/26/2014I was traveling and rather than find a restaurant in Long Beach where I was staying I ventured over the bridge to San Pedro and the The Whale and Ale. I had the Whaler Platter. It was great! Large portion of jumbo shrimp which was awesome, cod and wonderfully tender fried calamari. I enjoyed this dining experience and only wish my wife had been with me.Special Features:
- Pre-Theatre DinnerKurtDined on 3/26/2014Our party of four enjoyed a nice dinner here before attending the Little Fish Theatre behind the restaurant. My Cadillac Margarita was excellent. My steak and mushroom pie was flavorful and topped with a flaky, light crust. Another in our party had the battered shrimp and chips. I had a bite and was impressed with the flavor and tenderness. My wife went with the fish and chips and while they weren't the best she's ever had they were more than adequate. The last of our group had the Shepherd Pie. The mashed potatoes on the top were a bit over browned in the broiler but she reported the flavor of the pie itself as very good. Service was a little slow but we had allowed plenty of time to make the 8 p.m. theatre curtain. Would come again.Special Features:
- TerrificHappyDinerDined on 3/1/2014Food was great as always. Service always top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great get together placeJackoDined on 2/28/2014I found this place on the internet. I wanted a quaint please to meet friends for a good dinner and conversation. They had a piano player in the bar area. We sat in the front of the restaurant. Great meal great conversation and the music was great background obiounce.Special Features:
- Good food, better entertainmentMDBsvcsDined on 2/20/2014I ate the 'Classic English Fish & Chips' and I was very pleased with the taste and the portion size. I accompanied this meal with a glass of Guinness. The entertainment for the evening was Simon Spalding and James Hendricks singing and playing an assortment of instruments. Tunes ranged from traditional English and Irish dance tunes to Sea Chanties to original works by each of the guys. The pub was pretty full and a good time was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bobby Burns' BirthdayRickDined on 1/25/2014We came for the Burns' Birthday salute and had a wonderful time drinking Scotch, trying haggis (interesting!) and enjoying prime rib and salmon. Loved the bagpiper. Our waitress, Sally, was absolutely wonderful. Fun night in San Pedro!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terriblenorsterDined on 1/25/2014We had a horrible experience. I spoke to the owner and he said there was nothing he could do. I spent $200 on terrible food
- DisappointedLindsayDined on 1/24/2014Recently we were at the Whale and Ale as a package for dinner and concert. We were a party of 5 and seated at a table big enough for only 2. We asked if we could have a different table as the place was near empty and was told no we couldn't. We ordered from a specific menu designed for the package which had a starter, main and dessert. Our drinks took quite awhile to arrive after the order. Next we ordered our meal and starter. The starter never arrived and we were served only the main course. The server had help from the kitchen and twice juice was spilled on one of our friends clothing - with no apology! All in all it was not an enjoyable experience and will recommend the theater pick a different restaurant to do a package with.
- this was a great findearlyeveningseniorDined on 1/18/2014the food was real english pub and the restaurant had that authenticity to it. it had a good variety for my vegetarian friend too. i had the shepherd pie and found it excellent. the menu had something for everyone. the food portions were not too large, just right and the price matched, just right. i will keep that on my list to return to whenever i am in San PedroSpecial Features:
- Great UK FareJMgroupDined on 1/17/2014The Whale and Ale is still a wonderful place to step out of the same old restaurant scene and into Great Britain. From the Decor to the food it maintains the feel like Piccadilly is just around the corner. Having travelled extensively in the UK I can attest to the authenticity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good service,heckonwheelsDined on 1/11/2014Great food, good service, but menu on web site listed a much more extensive menu at significantly lower prices. It was a bit shocking to see entree prices $4 or $5 more than what we were expecting. Management needs to keep up on the web site to avoid sticker shock from their customers.Special Features:
- One of our favorite hometown findsIdalvarezDined on 12/31/2013My husband and I frequent this restaurant but this was New Year's Eve. It surprised me that the menu was not the usual but any request we made for any usual item was promptly fulfilled with a smile. Love the service, how personal the staff make their diners feel is unparalleled. True customer service with an old time smile, some British flaire, and great eats is always in style at the Ehale & Ale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as alwayssherlockjrDined on 12/30/2013The Whale & Ale, an authentic British pub complete with dartboard, is a neighborhood gem. Be sure to ask for a shandy when ordering drinks. It's not on the menu, but it's an authentic British pub drink -- half beer, half ginger ale. Sounds weird, but oh, so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We always have a good timeDENNISDined on 12/27/2013We always have a good time and good food when we go to the Whale & Ale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frozen Vegetables - Really?OutandaboutDined on 12/25/2013Maybe I just didn't notice or the Owner changed Chef's but the first thing I noticed on the plate was the frozen vegetables - You know the perfectly formed carrots with the crinkle design. The fish and chips, a staple in most like establishments was just that a fish of over fried fish on chips...No slaw, no garnish and for the price, disappointing. The turkey dinner .ok - good turkey but very small portion and their traditional stuffing similar to what comes out of a box. Where was the HP sauce for the sausage rolls. Overall, an ok experience but certainly nothing special for the price.
- Do the tie-in with Grand AnnexJimMDined on 12/7/2013Do the tie-in with Grand Annex performance hall. Great value!!Special Features:
- Way too pricey!hamfamof5Dined on 11/18/2013Prices were way too high for what we got... seriously, 1 piece of fish and some fries is $17?
- They did not have our reservation.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2013They did not have our reservation. They said that this happens often when they use your siteSpecial Features:
- Better than expectedtablefor3Dined on 11/8/2013Looking for something different before the Cirque show. Hadn't spent much time in San Pedro before so took a chance. Expected a chain like atmosphere for pub food and instead found a real neighborhood pub. British ale on tap and traditional pub food. My wife had the steak and mushroom pie and I chose bangers and mash. My daughter chose from the kids menu and since she's on a vegetarian kick she went with the safe grilled cheese and chips which we insisted she eat with vinegar. We arrived and the place was nearly empty but when we finished our meal the place was completely packed. The service was good and the ambiance was more real than forced like you find at a chain. Definitely recommend if you like neighborhood charm and comfort food.Special Features:
- disappointingAprylDined on 10/27/2013The British pub decor did not make up for the small portions and so-so food. However, my nephew did like his Chilean Sea bass. Maybe it would be nice for a drink with friends in the pub like atmosphere on a busy Friday? or Saturday?, but the bar was empty on a Sunday evening.
- Don't botherwenikyDined on 10/26/2013Food was okay but certainly not worth the price. Restaurant could use some upgrading.
- So Fun!MickDined on 10/25/2013Celebrated a friend's 50th birthday after seeing Totem in San Pedro. Yummy food, great music - Go Harry!Special Features:
- Great foodET00Dined on 10/24/2013The food is always exceptional at Whale & Ale. We usually eat Thanksgiving and other special dinners, but sometimes lunch. Never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Reservation SystemGaetanDined on 10/12/2013I made a reservation for myself and my son last Saturday for 6:00 pm. Upon arriving at the restaurant (Whale & Ale), the receptionist ostensibly found no record of my reservation. I showed her the computer receipt, so she was forced to reluctantly acknowledge our presence. But she could only offer us a table in the back next to a high traffic area. At that time, there were at least two empty table in the front, but these were ostensibly "reserved". About an hour and a half later, as we were leaving, we noticed the two tables at the front were still empty. I would like to point out that this is the SECOND time this has happened at that particular restaurant. Needless to say, this particular establishment has seen the last of me.
- Go to the Whale and Ale!HappyDinerDined on 10/6/2013Went here for the first time for dinner on a Sunday night. Had a reservation, but it was not busy. I understand Thur-Sat can be busy. service was excellent. Food was pretty good. I had the prime rib, which, I don't know how a restaurant can get wrong, but at any rate had good flavor. I ordered it medium rare and it was done perfectly. Tried to talk him out of ordering it, but my son got the burger. He liked it, but it was expensive for a burger. He won't order it again when we return. My wife and daughter shared an appetizer and the Shepherd's Pie. We all tried the pie and it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow ServiceMikeDined on 9/28/2013The food was very late to get to us, the restaurant got a large group in before us and our order got lost so we were starving when the food finally arrived! We were there 90 minutes and we waiting for the food for most of the time!Special Features:
- Manager went above and beyondImpatient1Dined on 8/24/2013Manager went above and beyond to help us find a place to go, after dinner...felt very special.