The Westside Local
1663 Summit Street
Kansas City, MO 64108Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Westside Local
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thewestsidelocal.com/
- Phone: 8169979089x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Sunday: 11 AM - 9 PM
Friday & Saturday: 11 AM - 10 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Sam Jones
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining for up to 30 available any time. If you would like to rent the beer garden or the restaurant we can make it happen.
- Private Party Contact: Brandon Strick 8169979089x
- Entertainment: Eclectic acoustic music in the beer garden on First Fridays and some other nights.
- Special Events: Large party reservation fees may apply.
A word from The Westside Local
The restaurant you'll wish was in your neighborhood, in the neighborhood you'll wish was your own. The Westside Local offers seasonal comfort food with class, sourced as locally as possible. Enjoy it all with extensive beer and wine lists in our historic wood-beam and brick dining room, grapevine covered beer garden, or dashing little bar. Or just order some Carry out for that quiet evening at home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Westside Local - Best Restaurants in Kansas City ›
The Westside Local reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (102)fit for foodies (98)great for lunch (67)great for outdoor dining (40)good for groups (34)great for brunch (30)special occasion (28)hot spot (22)romantic (20)late-night find (9)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Unique Local QualityJuneDined on 9/17/2014The local seasonal emphasis always promises intriguing variety. Their suggested pairings with beer are not pretentious or haughty. There is a vibrancy across generational lines, with all feeling welcome. The atmosphere is urban.Special Features:
- First TimersChristinaCoganDined on 9/6/2014We had the BLT (which is leaving the menu soon) and the heirloom burger and parmasean fries and they were both amazing! Had a Zin that was to die for!! We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JerryJerryDined on 8/29/2014Another quality evening at one of our favorite spots!!Special Features:
- SamFoodieForRealDined on 8/29/2014Love the food! Cool eclectic atmosphere. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Westside Local; a prize atop a hillIrishDined on 8/24/2014Westside local is a pleasing restaurant with a varied menu, exceptional staff, and unique atmosphere. When you dine here you know that the ingredients are fresh and the flavors appealing. The Blunch is a good time to gather, enjoy the cuisine, and just relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE THIS PLACEtallyhoVIPDined on 8/22/2014The service and the food were amazing. Hamburgers are always a good choice. One of our faves in KC.Special Features:
- Good food, albiet a bit overpricedperfecteggDined on 8/5/2014I've dined a few times and have always been pleased with the food, so much so that I go back and am always surprised at the price tag. It seems like it should be a neighborhood gem, but prices are high for that type of locale. The atmosphere is great and service is standard. One thing I've noticed is that there isn't salt and pepper on the tables. While they will happily provide upon request, I've found that some of the food I've had could use a bit of salt (and I'm not one to overly season nor season before tasting). I do like this place and will likely return, but will think twice about other places I could be spending the same amount of money for food that will floor me.Special Features:
- Nice little findthecasualfridayDined on 8/3/2014Great find in the art district. It's a little pricey for a brunch spot, but the food is organic and their homemade jams are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an unfortunate nightWJI73Dined on 8/1/2014We arrived at 8 pm on a Friday night with a party of 8. Took us 90 minutes to get served after ordering. They either lost our order or were horribly under staffed. Our waiter was almost afraid to come to our table, instead of being apologetic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/30/2014great spot for dinner before a show at Kauffman, or Sprint Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tomato souptomatosoupDined on 7/30/2014I had the tomato soup. I had the tomato soup and blt. Very yummy. I had the tomato soup. I had the tomato soup and blt. Very yummy. I had the tomato soup. I had the tomato soup and blt. Very yummy. I had the tomato soup. I had the tomato soup and blt. Very yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfultlynnDined on 7/30/2014Best waitress ever! Great food and so accommodating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014The food was wonderful. I didn't know what to expect. I've talked to people who said it was very good. I was not disappointed.Special Features:
- Best tenderloin I've ever eaten!TeacherSarahDined on 7/18/2014The service was great, the ambience was welcoming and relaxing. I had the best tenderloin steak I've ever eaten - cooked to perfection!Special Features:
- It takes time for great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Some of the best food I've had in KC, but if you are going for lunch, make sure you add a little extra time as you will not get in and out within an hour. However, it's way worth it and good, quality food takes time!Special Features:
- Good spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014This was my first visit but won't be my last. Lunch was wonderful and our group was very happy with everything that was ordered. Cute place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm-To-Table AwesomenessNateDined on 7/11/2014Truly enjoyed this wonderful meal + appetizer. You can completely tastes the freshness in everything they prepare; from their house-made ketchup to their nummy veggies. A must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Experience!FarmfreshfoodieDined on 7/11/2014I wanted to surprise my wife with a special dinner/date night at a local, farm to table type restaraunt. Having 5 children, our nights out alone are rare so I was taking a chance on a new restaurant. I must say our experience at The Westside Local was PERFECT! The food was delicious and so was the atmosphere...I had the Windhaven burger and it was honestly the BEST burger I have ever eaten! My wife had the BLT and she said the same thing. We started with the hummus plate and enjoyed every bite. We will definitely be back and hopefully sooner than later!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only complaint is noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/10/2014Everything about Westside Local was excellent except the noise level was terrible.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014I introduced a friend of mine to this great restaurant and I wasn't disappointed! Our food was wonderful and served quickly. We had time for conversation and food!Special Features:
- Wonderful food, mixed experienceKarenVIPDined on 7/3/2014Westside Local has a terrific, very interesting menu and our food was wonderful. I look forward to going back. But from now on I will always ask for a table away from the front door. Even with window shades, the setting sun made it impossible for one of our party to find a spot where she was not squinting into the sun. When I was there in the winter and seated near the door, the cold gusts of air from the opening/closing door were very bothersome. These were big distractions both times.Special Features:
- Great LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/2/2014On a gorgeous afternoon, it was fun to share our outdoor table with others. The food was good, served quickly, and the atmosphere was great. I had a very nice rose'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Have Reservation!HillerinoVIPDined on 6/29/2014Went on a Sunday and thankfully had a reservation! There was a line to get in and those without reservations had to wait. Service was excellent and the food was great! Get the apple bread French toast - to die for! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BummerWolfgangDined on 6/27/2014Salads looked like they were four days old when served. Beers were brought to our table at near room temperature. Quinoa burger had the texture of mashed potato and was served cold. Requested no cheese on the burger and it was served with cheese. New burger brought out and again was undercooked and mushy. Sent the bun for the burger back as it was swimming in butter or grease. New bun for burger served with even more oil on it and the waitress acknowledged it but did not offer to remedy the snafu. Bison sausage taco was greasy and full of gristle. Bathroom smelled like an old Greyhound bus depot can. Adjoining table had AC condensate dripping near their table from a duct up above. Pickles were good and the highlight for us.Special Features:
- ConsistentTGW1VIPDined on 6/27/2014Westside Local has consistently good food and service. I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys good food and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A/C not working?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/19/2014Food was good & great environment. Only complaint is that it was so hot in there & there was water dripping from the ceiling right by our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightedMalarneyDined on 6/18/2014Everything was wonderful except for the flickering lights. I guess they had switched to an LED bulb in the lamps that were on a dinner switch and the LED lights couldn't decide what to do, but that little quirk will not keep me from going back! Everything was just delightful and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Westside locale4444Dined on 6/15/2014Our waitress Erin was very abrupt and not friendly the negative vibe was uncomfortable. When asked what sides available she say they are listed on top she did not explain. The rest of the staff seemed unhappy to be there also. The food was good but extremely slow and the service to pay also extremely slow. The place minus the negative vibe is pretty and urban trendy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great al fresco diningcatladyDined on 6/13/2014The outdoor area is terrific and so is the food. Service was also outstanding. Also a great beer list. The chicken mole tacos are something you don't see everywhere, and they are wonderful!Special Features:
- justmythoughtsscottiegirlDined on 6/12/2014Food was very good, although pretty pricey for what it was. Furniture was not too comfortable -- hard wooden chairs. Ambiance was okay. General feeling is that if they are going to charge these prices, they need to work to heighten experience a bit.Special Features:
- Awesome! Dog-freindly too!!FoodieVIPDined on 6/11/2014Driving through Kansas on way to Colorado with our 90lb dog and decided to stop in Kansas City to find a dog park and a place for lunch--hopefully not fast-food! Looked on Open Table and Westside Local sounded great-had a patio- called to see if they were dog friendly which happily they were! Gave us a great table in shaded area with a water bowl all ready at the table. Our meal was wonderful! Best French fries with homemade ketchup I have ever had-ever! Grilled cheese with fresh tomato/onion soup for dipping was so delicious--soup tasted like it was fresh from the garden 5 minutes ago! Sampled a variety of cheeses with home-made apple bread-YUM!!Definitely will be back and already told several friends who travel that way it is a "Must"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic delighthungrdogsDined on 6/10/2014We wanted to celebrate our good friend's promotion at work by taking him and his wife out to dinner. We chose Westside Local because we wanted something out of the ordinary. We were not disappointed! Great food and super service. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Love this Place!1ofmyfavsDined on 6/10/2014Love this place, have been there often since I found this gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lumbermanlumbermanDined on 6/8/2014Very good food and good service. Great spot for Sunday brunch.Special Features:
- ExcellentWowZaDined on 6/7/2014My wife really loved her experience...we both had wonderful meals... if I recall we had many menu options for our date. We eat mindfully so enjoyed many veggie options with many of the appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKBatesyDined on 6/6/2014I was looking forward to my first visit to Westside Local. It was Friday evening and I was ready to relax with a cocktail followed by dinner. The food was good but unfortunately I didn't really enjoy it because the food was brought before our cocktails. When they brought the cocktails we didn't want them since we already had the food. My Roasted Red Pepper Penne was good but not hot. It could have used more pea pods. My husband enjoyed the Quinoa Curry and it was steaming so I knew at least his was hot.I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/30/2014Very disappointing meal. We had been here once before about a year ago (great meal that time) and were excited to return. The food was just fair and service was horrible. I would no longer recommend.Special Features:
- Fun neighborhood spotJerryDined on 5/25/2014Wonderful food beautifully presented and so, so tasteful!Special Features:
- Celebration DinnerTimDVIPDined on 5/24/2014Our second time at WestSide Local and we were yet again impressed. The menu is unique, the flavors are fresh and on point, and the drinks delicious. Service was a bit iffy as our server didn't seem to be the best, but she certainly got the job done, just didn't respond well to our attempts to converse about the menu much. We will certainly return as we enjoy this unique find in KC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hope it was a momentary off night.DougVIPDined on 5/23/2014Been anxious to try this restaurant even though it has already been around for a few years with great reviews. Maybe it was an off night for our server but there were some real timing issues and the chicken and dumplings was not what we were expecting. The manager did make it to our table after we raised our concerns to help improve the evening. Maybe we will try it again, perhaps for a Saturday lunch to take in the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.