The Westgate Hotel - The Westgate Room
1055 Second Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Westgate Hotel - The Westgate Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.westgatehotel.com/
- Phone: 6192381818
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30am - 11:00am; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Fabrice Hardel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Special Events: Valentine's Day Four-course dinner $79/$99 with wine pairing per person(tax and gratuity additional)Two seatings available 6:00pm and 8:30pm Featuring live music.
- Cross Street: Broadway
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: We offer 24 hour valet parking for hotel and dining guests.The Westgate Room and the Plaza Bar validate parking for two hours at a charge of $3.00. Directions to Hotel Parking: Please proceed to end of Second Avenue and turn right immediately before trolley tracks, ignoring the "Left turn only" signs (it is OK to turn right if turning into the hotel). Proceed down the ramp to the valet desk.
A word from The Westgate Hotel - The Westgate Room
Enjoy exquisite gourmet cuisine masterfully prepared by our Executive Chef Fabrice Hardel and his talented staff in the hotel's Westgate Room. Recently voted the "Best Seafood Restaurant" by San Diego Reader Magazine, the restaurant offers guests a delectable menu of contemporary fare with creative new dishes as well as Hardel's reinvention of classic gastronomy. Within an atmosphere of European elegance and class, our attentive staff provides unequalled service for those enjoying breakfast, lunch, dinner or late night after-theatre dessert. AFTERNOON TEA Enjoy a respite from the ordinary at the Westgate’s Afternoon Tea. Relax to the melodious sounds of a harp while you indulge in a delightful array of delicious tea sandwiches, sweet pastries, scones and seasonal berries. Seatings for our traditional tea service are offered Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 2:30 until 5:00 p.m. Private teas can be arranged for your group. In addition to formal teas, champagne and wine are availableContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Westgate Hotel - The Westgate Room reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (5)fit for foodies (3)great for lunch (3)good for groups (2)romantic (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Very goodThomVIPDined on 8/13/2014Enjoyed a fine meal here before going to the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ELEGANT DININGluvgoodfoodVIPDined on 6/13/2014FANTASTIC FOOD PREPARED BY FABRICE HARDEL, ONE OF THE BEST CHEFS IN SAN DIEGO. THEY MADE AN ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION A VERY SPECIAL ONE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2014The service was horrible there is nothing good to say it took way too long, when we finally got out food it was cold we had allowed two hours for dinner as we had theater tickets and barley made the show. Our waiter was completely disinterested in us.
- Pre-theater dinner choicealohasdVIPDined on 6/5/2014Great place for pre-theater dinner. Excellent Prix fixe menu well priced. Reduced rate parking.Even with several alerts to time constraints of theater, service was slow. Would benefit from some wait staff training.
- Pre theater meal needs speedmcurielVIPDined on 6/5/2014Great restaurant next to the Civic Theater so ideal for before-show meal. However, the service is so slow we did not finish the three course meal and were running to make curtain call. The staff was very accommodating and invited us to have dessert after show in bar. We were not the only table to have this problem. Need to allow 2 hours for dinner before show. Food is tasty and beautifully prepared and wait staff very friendly and understanding.Special Features:
- The following 60 reviews are from the The Westgate Hotel - The Westgate Room reviews archive.
- Nice Dining ExperienceFrancesVIPDined on 4/8/2014The Westgate provided an enjoyable pre-opera dining experience. The soup and the fish were excellent, as was the service. Matthew, the Maitre d' was also very attentive. Speaking with him added to the pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Pleasant but....illionDined on 3/14/2014Mystery black ink noodle was tasteless but was told it was just for decoration. Hope that didn't add to much to the main course price. Had to ask for water refill. And the served didn't ask if we wanted wine with dinner so they lost a few $$ on that.Special Features:
- High expectations not met on a busyDmitriDined on 2/14/2014The food was excellent, the service was very poor to the level of fine dining i expected at the westgate. The waiters did not refill the water. Utensils were missing at times and we ended up waiting for service members to notice. Timing was off between the wine and food and no explanations were given regarding what was being served. Everything was off that night which reflected badly on westgate and i didn't feel like the staff wanted to be there. It most likely was a very busy night but if you're going to work your employees through such a busy night provide them with the means to do their job properly. There was no communication between the service members. Its a shame this website limits the amount of characters as i have more to add
- Great pre-theatre menu!!EricaDined on 1/9/2014We love the Westgate Restaurant. The service is amazing and the food, fantastic. They have a great pre theatre menu which is delicious and really a great value for the price. The maitre is super and the servers are great too!Special Features:
- We had a reservation for 4AmySDDined on 12/25/2013We had a reservation for 4 on Xmas day, we were greeted at the entrance and get to a table right away. The ambience is cold and bright , not many customers in the restaurant , the food was very good , except the noel log cake was dry and hard The service was good. But we will not comeback , it is not a joyous place . The ambience is not warm and lively
- outstanding Christmas dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/25/2013outstanding Christmas dinner with wonderful service and fantastic 4-course dinner....would go again in a minute!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surroundingsFoodlover1VIPDined on 12/7/2013A very nice dining option for pre or after theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't goDOCKVIPDined on 11/20/2013There is no service although the food is well prepared and somewhat tasty.. No one to seat you and the staff is not up to snuff about the dishes.. The setting is most elegant but ......
- Superb!FineDinerDined on 10/19/2013We had a delight lunch, great ambiance, and personable staff. We enjoyed a delicious Seafood Cobb Salad, and a Chicken Cobb Salad, for our Birthday celebration, before going to see "Priscilla Queen of the Desert"!Special Features:
- Great dining before a show!LoreMonzonDined on 10/13/2013This is a great place to have an amazing dinner and walk to show at civic theatre. Kitchen is a little slow, but worth it, so give yourself plenty of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely quiet...DaughterDined on 9/27/2013We went during restaurant week and it was almost empty. The food was excellent but the place was eerily quiet.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurant, no one diningIreallylikegoodfoodDined on 9/15/2013I went last night on the first night of Restaurant Week to get a taste of the Westgate. I wanted to bring my wife to a romantic beautiful setting where she spent her last few days as a bachelorette before our wedding. We got dressed up, made it for our 7:30 Sunday reservation to find there was literally not a soul in the entire dining room. I know the Westgate is no trendy "hotspot" but our entire meal was spent in whispers as we waited for something to break the silence that never came. With a warm host we finally relaxed a little near the end. Service couldn't have been better - we were left alone as much as possible. Beautiful dining room and pleasant hosts made the ambience bearable, but it was an unexpected disappointment to be alone.
- We go to the Westgate everyEricaDined on 9/7/2013We go to the Westgate every time we have an event at the theatre and it is wonderful. The service is fantastic and the food is delicious! I would recommend this restaurant over and over again!Special Features:
- Nice Food and Service...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2013What was shocking was the emptiness of the dining room. There was one other couple besides ourselves. It made me sad. This is tourist season. Were all the tourists simply away sight seeing? The dining room needs a facelift, that is for sure. I've had brunch upstairs and dinner, too and never had the same feeling of worry for the hotel's viability. This was my first visit to The Westgate Room. The food was good. The service was excellent. Just the problem of feeling so alone and feeling that the room was "dated" and needed a new design and wondering why the place was so empty.
- Very Slow and Poor ServicegreyhndsVIPDined on 8/2/2013We had over an hour to be served and eat before a show. There were very few tables with diners, so they were NOT busy. Yet, service was slow and the kitchen speed was even worse. We had to find our server to ASK where our entree was 15 minutes before curtain time. No sense of urgency even then. We gobbled down some of our dinner in 10 minutes and sprinted to the theatre. Didn't get our dessert which was included in the theatre menu price. The waiter suggested we come back AFTER the show for our dessert. Really??? Food was okay, but there are way too many restaurants nearby to waste time with a place that doesn't get it. And, they did know at arrival that we were going to the show so there is no excuse for really poor service.
- Another great dinneranothergreatoneDined on 5/31/2013Westgate did it again! Superb service, great food and a very classy ambience. It continues to be the place to dine when going to the nearby CIVIC Theater.. My thanks to Roberto and the staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/30/2013We had dinner from the Broadway 3 course menu before catching a show. The food was really good, the service was excellent and we completely enjoyed and were out on time to catch our show. Thanks for helping make for a great evening. Highly recommended for couple and groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FINEST FOOD IN SAN DIEGOanothergreatoneDined on 5/3/2013An absolute must for those that want to have a great dinner prior to a CIVIC CENTER show. (its right across the street!) A bit pricey but worth every dime. This is not our first visit and wont be the last. Tenderloin Is a melt in your mouth delight. Try the appetizer Mozzarella Di Bufalo with Parmesan ice cream!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good I did not likeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/23/2013Food was good I did not like the atmosphere. Convenient to the opera
- We always enjoy the WestgateOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/23/2013We always enjoy the Westgate on the nights of the operas.Special Features:
- For our pre-opera dinner,acep9Dined on 4/20/2013For our pre-opera dinner, we arrived at 4:45, were placed in the overflow dining room in the Plaza Bar. We ordered champagne cocktails, then dinner and a bottle of wine. We received the wine and the appetizers and then waited and waited and waited. Finally, at 6:10 we managed to flag down our mostly invisible waiter to ask about the entrees and were told they had been delivered to another table. Asked if we would have enough time to wait for new entrees and get to the opera,a 5-minute walk from the hotel, the waiter responded by bringing us our check. They were obviously understaffed, and other diners were complaining as well. Although this used to be one of our favorite places, it will be a long time before we consider dining there again.Special Features:
- Our main server was very nice,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2013Our main server was very nice, but the initial person who took our drinks had a bad attitude and answered arrogantly when my father asked a question about the drink. My drink was given to someone else, and then after being told a new one would be made, it never came. You could hear complaints by other patrons regarding waiting for drinks that were order 30 minutes prior, etc. I could see our appetizers go to another table before to ours. It almost seemed like someone was not following whatever system restaurants use to tell the staff which food goes to which table. I would like to try this restaurant again as it may have just been a bad night.
- We always enjoy the Westgate.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/2/2013We always enjoy the Westgate. We go there prior to the opera on Tuesday evenings, and we always enjoy the convenience to the opera, the food, and the service. We are never disappointed.Special Features:
- The menu had new items. BothFrancesVIPDined on 4/2/2013The menu had new items. Both the seafood chowder and the seafood risotto were very good. Although the risotto had more of a polenta consistency, it was well presented and prepared and I liked the taste. Service, however, was not up to par. As a result, we had to skip dessert and were almost late for the opera.Special Features:
- Great place for a dining experiencebucketlistbabeDined on 3/23/2013The minute you step into the hotel, you're transported into a mini Versailles...lovely serene atmosphere and beautiful furnishings etc in the lobby. The restaurant itself is tucked away in the back and is truly a "hidden gem". Beautiful table setting (real flowers, tablecloths) old school service (refined, very attentive but not stuffy) and the food is great. Our lunch trio ordered the Monte Cristo (what?!?...when do you ever see that on a menu anymore?) the vegetarian sandwich, and the shrimp club...all were prepared perfectly and all very tasty. There are TONS of places to eat downtown, but this is a little bit of paradise in the 92101 jungle of restaurants!Special Features:
- The Westgate has changed itsFrancesVIPDined on 2/19/2013The Westgate has changed its menu since our last pre-opera visit three weeks ago and we liked the new choices as well as the new taste opportunities. The warm asparagus salad had a generous amount of lobster. Service was very good.Special Features:
- We always dine there priorOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/19/2013We always dine there prior to attending the opera, and we always enjoy it. The food is always good, and the atmosphere elegantly delightful.Special Features:
- It could be a very nice placeSilkeVIPDined on 2/19/2013It could be a very nice place if the staff would be attentive and friendly. No one was at the counter when we arrived at 5 pm. Other guests arrived and about 5 minutes later someone appeared and let us to hour table. The waiters were unfriendly, as if it was a chore to serve. We will give it another try.
- Extremely great and uniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013Extremely great and unique restaurant, simply one of the best ....Special Features:
- We enjoyed our pre-Opera mealFrancesVIPDined on 1/29/2013We enjoyed our pre-Opera meal and were happy to see new items on the menu. The fish was very well presented and delicious. Our favorite table in a corner of the back dining room was waiting for us.Special Features:
- Very fine for our family breakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/25/2012Very fine for our family breakfast on Christmas Day.Special Features:
- The ambiance is gorgeous andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/24/2012The ambiance is gorgeous and the service is superb. The food is certainly for 'foodies'. It's quite fancy and a bit unusual; the Christmas Eve dinner was promoted as a "traditional" dinner which was a bit misleading. I thought traditional meant turkey, but to them it was venison. It was delicious but unexpected. I would go there again!Special Features:
- The ideal location beforeManuelDined on 12/22/2012The ideal location before or after the show, as it is located accross the street from the San Diego Civic Theatre.Special Features:
- Out meal was wonderful. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/8/2012Out meal was wonderful. We hope more people will discover this restaurant. A real gem.Special Features:
- Paris in CaliforniaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2012The hotel is a long-established member of The Leading Hotels of the World. Its decor: tall ceilings, chandeliers, plush soft furnishings, Versailles-like ambiance, soft music is not typical in laid-back informal San Diego but is still appreciated. We are travel writers now living in San Diego who have stayed at the Ritz in Paris (on a glossy magazine's expense account not our dime) and found the tone of this hotel very French except our waiter, Michael, was much more amiable and charming than any French garçon. Great crab cakes and lobster salad as appetizers. My wife (having a birthday) enjoyed the halibut. I felt my Dover Sole was a bit overcooked -- I should have mentioned it but the waiter was such a urbane nice guy I let it pass.Special Features: