The Waverly Inn
16 Bank St
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Waverly Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.waverlynyc.com/
- Phone: 9178281154
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 11:45pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:45am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Ashley Merriman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Fireplace, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine Bar
A word from The Waverly Inn
Established in 1920, The Waverly Inn was reopened in 2006 by Vanity Fair Editor-in-Chief Graydon Carter along with Sean MacPherson and Eric Goode (of the Maritime and Bowery Hotels) and Emil Varda. Tucked into the ground floors of two adjoining townhouses, the dining room's red booths, fireplaces and low amber lighting provide an attractive and cozy hangout for the city’s best and brightest. Chef Ashley Merriman’s menu features American classics alongside contemporary seasonal dishes using organic, local ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Waverly Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (67)neighborhood gem (64)special occasion (53)fit for foodies (41)great for outdoor dining (33)notable wine list (29)hot spot (27)great for brunch (14)late-night find (12)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (5)great for lunch (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/16/2014Wait staff and sommelier were very attentive and helpful. However, plates were unceremoniously delivered to the table - dessert was practically tossed by the server. Tables were very close together; noise level was exhausting.
- My favorite restaurant in the cityhamatosseDined on 9/15/2014From the lovely ambience ( it was late, we sat outside) , to the delicious food and the professional kind service...the whole experience was grand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Ambiance A+, Service mehWineDineWestVillageVIPDined on 9/12/2014I've been to the Waverly Inn a few times. The ambiance is awesome. Inside is very cozy, dim lighting, fireplace, cool paintings, feels authentic.. the garden is really romantic and unique. The food is delicious, however, each time I've been, the server was very impersonal and just wanted to get us our food and get us out. Also most recently, I made a 10pm reservation and wasn't seated until after 10:30pm which was kind of annoying. I would love to come back with friends and/or family if we would be treated better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the waverlyrb134Dined on 8/30/2014took my wife to the waverly inn saturday evening for her birthday . we were greeted by a friendly and more than courteous staff. read some mixed reviews so this was a nice surprise . our waiter was in training and did a great job. my only complaint is when we arrived the place wasnt crowded yet , but they still sat everyone ( especially the couples) on top of each other. otherwise it was a nice night .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it hereNYCeatsVIPDined on 8/28/2014The Waverly Inn is great. If you're price sensitive, it's not the option for you as most dishes run around $30.Special Features:
- deliciousVIPDined on 8/23/2014pot pie very good ditto on hamburger food good service good murals beautiful the but is great outdoor space need citronella candles for mosquitos
- service was great, food was ehBKfoodlvrDined on 8/22/2014we were beyond excited to try the waveryly inn after heard hype about it for years. we went on a friday night in the summer. service was great, the waiter was very attentive. we sat at a table in the garden that was lovely. we ordered some grilled octopus and gnocchi and crab cakes. the gnocchi was great. everything else was just eh and the drinks were also not so fantastic either. it was definitely a nice, romantic spot but the food left something to be desired and wasn't worth the high price point.Special Features:
- KvetchDined on 8/20/2014The restaurant is too dark to appreciate the mural or read the menu. Service great, food very good.
- Wonderful Place To Dinease1707VIPDined on 8/18/2014The Waverly Inn is a beautiful restaurant. There are a few tables located just outside the main entrance offering the perfect dinner spot to enjoy people watching in the West Village while enjoying a very good dinner. Inside is a beautiful bar and dining room. But behind the dining room is an open air garden area for that perfect place to have your dinner on a summer evening. The food is very good as is the service. The menu is diverse and the overall restaurant is definitely a treat. This is a place to which I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing MealAllergyDinerDined on 8/17/2014I was excited to finally check out The Waverly Inn. It was one of the best meals of my entire life. Everything was amazing down to the charred grapes to the ketchup with a side of fries. It was a Sunday night in August so it was not busy but quiet and romantic. I had read reviews in the past that the staff was rude and unfriendly but I found them to be very nice and accommodating. If you get the opportunity you should go. So worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Waverly Inn still a classicOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/11/2014The food was excellent and the service impeccable. However, the noise level was high and disturbing. I would have preferred more space between my table and my neighbors, and a little more light.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemEstherDDined on 8/7/2014Had a wonderful cosy meal with good friends, the food was great - didn't push the boat out for the $65 mac and cheese though - perhaps next time. Will dine here again.Special Features:
- Slow down!Tally10Dined on 8/7/2014My two girlfriends and I were so pleased to be seated in the garden on a summer night. Our waiter was lovely. The food was fine- perfectly good but nothing special. The most unfortunate part was how rushed we were to order and consume our food- various waiters and bus boys trying to take our plates clearly before we were done. And then the maître d offered us each a glass of champagne at the bar because they wanted to give someone our table. We were there for MAX 2 hours, not to mention that the restaurant was completely empty inside. Terrible place to choose to sit with your friends and relax and catch up. Could never justify going back.Special Features:
- A Great Local ....CliffDined on 7/23/2014Great food and style ....but way to noisy for intimate type conversationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at The Waverly InnDowntownGirlDined on 7/19/2014Thank you so much for always being so accommodating to me and providing such an unforgettable evening. I always enjoy coming to The Waverly Inn and you never disappoint in service, ambiance, and delicious food, not to mention an incredible wine list. Whether its meeting the boyfriend's parents, dinner with friends or taking out a client, The Waverly Inn is always an impressive choice.Special Features:
- HO-HUMcrankyVIPDined on 7/19/2014Was lovely sitting on the front patio but the service was so indifferent - kind, but indifferent. The lovely waiter was totally in the clouds. And when I am being offered something that is not on the menu I would like to know the price of it and not have to ask how much it costs. The information should always be offered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT really makes me cranky that one would presume I don't need/want to know. Food was ok but for $65 I might have like a scrap of bread with my 1-inch square crab cakes and glass of wine! C'mon!
- OVERPRICEDBewitchedDined on 7/12/2014Very nice location, bit snotty manager to take you to your table. Professional, friendly waiter. Restaurant is TOTALLY overpriced. I took the Dover sole, which had the size of a slip sole and was priced 60 Dollari, undercooked haricots verts on the side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ah, the WaverlyAnnieDined on 7/11/2014I used to go here as a kid for the chicken pot pie. Thanks be, it's still on the menu, along with much more. Avoid the $60+ trendy stuff and enjoy a superb burger, gnocchi with mushrooms, iceberg lettuce salad and the smaller, happy dishes. The sides -- especially the old-fashioned creamed spinach -- are excellent, as is the wine list. Outdoor tables are fabulous for brunch. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itFoodaddictDined on 7/11/2014Amazing food, great service in a gorgeous low-lit room. Cool vibe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, that's allNYCdinerVIPDined on 7/10/2014Although the food was prepared well, the overall atmosphere was just ok. Nothing about the ambiance of such a very historic restaurant would make me care to return. There is great food all over the city; there needs to be more.
- Best experience ever!PhenomenalfindDined on 7/2/2014From beginning to end, this dining experience was top notch. An experience in culinary pleasure. A must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWSebastienDined on 7/1/2014What a place! Super charming from the outside, once you get in, you have a dark, romantic bar in front of you. The decor is superb, the atmosphere is cozy like an old & upscale Pub in middle of Scotland. Let's get into what we hold our breath for: food. Just outstanding, you don't need any other word for it. A foodie treasure.Special Features:
- Superb diningGodofadvertisingDined on 6/25/2014We had a brilliant night at this wonderful place. Fantastic food, fantastic wine and fantastic staff. Even the e-mail conversation prior to our visit was great.Special Features:
- AmazingMIssMcCloreDined on 6/20/2014Wonderful experience. Food was amazing. The bread they brought before the meal was delicious. Very warm quaint environment. Seemed a place that would be really cozy in the winter. Low ceilings, tables are fairly close together. It really had the feel of an old inn. I felt like a wench was going to come by with ale any minute. Expensive though so... bring your black card.Special Features:
- Waverly innDiner420Dined on 6/20/2014Waverly inn has a great staff and everyone was very friendly. However, their food has become boring, overpriced and mediocre. If you are going to splurge on expensive fare in the city there are a lot of better options. However, out if town guests and parents tend to love the idea if going to The Waverly Inn, even if their day has passed.
- Went for Father's DayMalibuDined on 6/15/2014was hoping for a calm, delicious outdoor celebration and that's exactly what we got. The server was a sweetheart, he was very nice to the kids, they put us out in the back garden which was just perfect and the food was delicious. Blueberry pancakes were delish, also had the yogurt and homemade granola which was phenomenal (if yogurt and granola can be phenomenal...)Special Features:
- Delicious foodK2ZFoodieDined on 6/10/2014Love that the list has small plates and large plates. Easy to share. Everything is seasonal and unique. It was my first time dining there and had the trout. Outstanding! Would love to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely but questionable seatingtartarecarnivoreDined on 6/10/2014It was an early dinner 6:45PM, and the restaurant section in which I was seated, the garden, was mostly empty. Notwithstanding, instead of spreading out the incoming guests, we were seated on top of one another while leaving several groups of open tables. Perhaps this is their protocol, or they were preparing for larger incoming parties, nevertheless it felt awkward.Special Features:
- Wonderful Place To Dinease1707VIPDined on 6/9/2014My wife and I were joined by a business acquaintance the other night and we enjoyed a very good meal at The Waverly Inn. My wife had the oven roasted halibut that she thoroughly enjoyed and my business friend raved about the chicken pot pie that he said was the best he ever eaten. I ordered a double portion of the appetizer steak tartare for my main dish and it was outstanding (spicy and infused with truffles). Our meal was wonderful and the evening was very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it butMMOODVIPDined on 6/9/20141st time there with friends, food and wine excellent and the atmosphere was great! Only concern was it was very muggy in the bar area and hot. Other than that I'd go again and often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyalloveragainShaShaVIPDined on 6/8/2014i've eaten here mostly for brunch -- which is quite lovely and i enjoy anew every time. This time i brought out of town guests for dinner. a beautiful summer evening we wanted to sit outside -- we got seated in the lovely glass topped courtyard - the breeze wafting in from the opening. ambience was excellent, service - as always was extraordinary and the food was absolutely delightful! we shared appetizers +oysters - which were fresh and succulent, then each ordered a fish/seafood course - and in each case we were completely delighted with our choice and flavorful preparation and the esthetic of the dish itself. I look forward to returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a charming spotfunwithfoodDined on 6/4/2014With great service and great food. The environment is fantastic. Quiet and slightly animated in the same time . A gem in the VillageSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- less than inspiringNJfoodieVIPDined on 6/3/2014Did not have the best experience taking a new business associate here. Service was inconsistent and forgetful at times. A framed picture fell on my colleagues head from the wall, and the manager made a joke about a lawsuit instead of asking if everything was ok. The dining room was loud and we were seated next to the entrance to the kitchen, so traffic was an issue. I would request a table window if possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- once again -- awesome!AviEatsOutVIPDined on 5/25/2014One of my favs in the W Village - I always pick this place for a first date. Consistently wonderful and amazing service.Special Features:
- KrisaDined on 5/25/2014This was our 3rd time back...we eat there each time we are in NYC. Menu is very interesting and food is top-notch....not the typical fare that one finds in most other restaurants. The Grilled Octopus appetizer is to die for! We love the atmosphere and ambiance...will keep The Waverly on our must-do list. Thinking that the next time may be in the winter months....suspect the ambiance would be just idyllic in the snow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!coral27Dined on 5/24/2014Stopped in last minute for an early dinner. Food, service and garden was all fantastic! So glad we went...highly recommend...really lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 355 reviews are from the The Waverly Inn reviews archive.
- rrrrevueDined on 5/22/2014rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrSpecial Features:
- Wonderful brunchBellabravaDined on 5/11/2014The terrace setting for brunch is outstanding. The service was top notch. The food was foodie stuff that I can't easily make at home, not the usual boring brunch fare. Loved it - one of my best NYC brunch experiences in years.Special Features:
- pasted it's peak ...FoodieNeighborsVIPDined on 5/10/2014While the sun room is gorgeous, the mural was magnificent... that's all about it. The food was mediocre and servers were Not well trained.Special Features:
- Treated like losers!LeeDVIPDined on 5/6/2014We booked a 6:30 reservation on Open Table. When we arrived at the restauant, the dining room was completely empty. We were seated at the worst possible table, right next to the kitchen door. We asked to move to the adjoining table. Shortly therafter, two additional people arrived and, although the restaurant was still completely empty, they were seated at the table adjacent to ours, so close as to appear to be a foursome. They could hear every word of our conversation and vice versa. It ruined our evening (and the restaurant was largely empty when we left as well) It is too bad becasue the food was quite good, as were the drinks. Very helpful sommelier. That said, we will never go back.