The Waverly Inn
16 Bank St
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Waverly Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.waverlynyc.com/
- Phone: (917) 828-1154
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 11:45pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:45am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Ashley Merriman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Fireplace, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine Bar
A word from The Waverly Inn
Established in 1920, The Waverly Inn was reopened in 2006 by Vanity Fair Editor-in-Chief Graydon Carter along with Sean MacPherson and Eric Goode (of the Maritime and Bowery Hotels) and Emil Varda. Tucked into the ground floors of two adjoining townhouses, the dining room's red booths, fireplaces and low amber lighting provide an attractive and cozy hangout for the city’s best and brightest. Chef Ashley Merriman’s menu features American classics alongside contemporary seasonal dishes using organic, local ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Waverly Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
romantic (65)neighborhood gem (64)special occasion (52)fit for foodies (42)hot spot (34)notable wine list (28)great for outdoor dining (19)late-night find (12)good for groups (11)great for brunch (10)vibrant bar scene (10)great for lunch (5)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/16/2014We went for an early brunch at 11am, were one of only two tables when we arrived and got a great table outside next to the fireplace. By the time we left, it was packed. Food was delicious and service was fantastic, they didn't even bat an eye at dietary restrictions and requests to make substitutions on the meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Humanely raised meats?joehVIPDined on 11/11/2014of course this is a lovely place, very pleasant hostess & waiters, very beautiful space and you do pay for it which brings me to my main comment - it was not clear to me the restuarant was sourcing its meats from humane vendors - shouldnt a restuarant of this calibur ensure its chicken is free range and its beef pasture raised and humanely slaughtered. Please put it on the menu if it is and your business will grow Waverly!
- Always a winnerEhubbard24Dined on 11/10/2014I have taken my friends, my husband, and now most recentlyy mom to the weaverly! It's alwas delicious and anyone can enjoy the fun atmosphere. We had the barrata to start, strip steak for dinner and of course the truffle Mac and cheese to share (well worth the $85 price tag) it an experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just lovelyOZfoodieDined on 11/9/2014This place is just lovely. We arrived an hour early for our booking and even though the place was busy they were happy to accommodate us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeKarissaVIPDined on 11/9/2014I was visiting nyc and was taken here by a friend. We were seated in the outside terrace. The place was set with beautiful candles and running vines. Decor was only topped by the food. Succulent Colorado lamb shank melted in your mouth. Grilled octopus had a spectacular flavor. The panna cotta was perfect. Basically, go here. It's worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately empty!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Our table was much sought after and we made a brunch booking for 11.00am and when we arrived at 10.50 they were quite rightly setting up after a busy night before, but the place stayed empty with us as the in,y guests except 2 others until we left, food and service fab but ambiance and buzz, zero! Will book again at a busier timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KitKatKITKATVIPDined on 10/31/2014I always love coming to the Waverly Inn. Starting at the small bar... perfect on a chilly evening with a fire burning in fire place, the iconic restaurant continues to have great food, ambiance and service. Our group had oysters, duck, gnocchi & a vegetable plate served w/a lovely bottle of Gigondas. We finished the meal w/dessert. Tucked into the West Village on a quiet street, it is a real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014October 30, 2014 Excellent service, great ambiance - romantic, cozy...perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but...BellaBVIPDined on 10/30/2014Tables for two are so close you can't really have a meaningful conversation. Go with another couple and request a booth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming EveningDCTravelerDined on 10/23/2014My visit to the Waverly Inn was most enjoyable. The reservation had to be changed several times. However, the restuarant was able to accommodate the changes. The ambience was charming. The food and wine were superior and the service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerKimberlyVIPDined on 10/19/2014We loved this place. The service was excellent. The food was outstanding. The place is charming. We had the Squash soup, it was wonderful. The Chicken pot pie was also a favorite of the group. Everyone's dinner was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Waverly Inn...classic!krichdallasDined on 10/18/2014From the executive chef to the wait staff, our experience was the best we've ever had! What a treat to spend an evening with friends and incredible food in this place! As we return to NYC, we will make sure to visit The Waverly Inn. My most favorite restaurant experience ever!Special Features:
- Magestic but ...krwaDined on 10/15/2014Lovely setting, cozy, historic NYC (Graydon Carter was there himself, dining in the back), and delicious food. We came for a lite meal and a drink, had a lovely time, though unfortunately the waiter was noticeably dismissive and became all but impossible to get service from. A trifle ridiculous.Special Features:
- TimelessStaffyDinerDined on 10/14/2014The restaurant was virtually full by 7.15pm and had a vibrant energy with a mix of business groups and couples and not remotely touristy. The noise level was high but it didn't make having a conversation impossible and added to the ambience.The restaurant has a timeless appeal and the decor felt like somewhere from the early 70s. It is however very dark in the dining room! The food is pretty good. The burrata tasted like it had come from Italy and the duck was superb. The service was helpful and unobtrusive. You may need to arrive half an hour earlier as the wine list is very long. Mostly French but with an absence of New World wines (Australia, New Zealand & South America etc). It was a great evening and it's on my list to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely but...MMBBVIPDined on 10/11/2014After we waited for 10 minutes for actual host to show up, we were seated after a walk-in who did not even have a reservation.When I pointed that out, he was unapologetic and rather short.But fortunately, we had an extremely nice waiter and great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingwestvillageDined on 10/6/2014Service and ambiance: wonderful. Food was basic, too salty and generally underwhelming.Special Features:
- food reviewsmackeDined on 9/20/2014The restaurang was really lovely. The service was god, but the waiter didnt tell us the specials for the night, maybe because we are from sweden and dont have english as mother tounge. Food tasted okey.I had the rosted amish chicken, it was little over cooked, to dry.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/16/2014Wait staff and sommelier were very attentive and helpful. However, plates were unceremoniously delivered to the table - dessert was practically tossed by the server. Tables were very close together; noise level was exhausting.
- My favorite restaurant in the cityhamatosseDined on 9/15/2014From the lovely ambience ( it was late, we sat outside) , to the delicious food and the professional kind service...the whole experience was grand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Ambiance A+, Service mehWineDineWestVillageVIPDined on 9/12/2014I've been to the Waverly Inn a few times. The ambiance is awesome. Inside is very cozy, dim lighting, fireplace, cool paintings, feels authentic.. the garden is really romantic and unique. The food is delicious, however, each time I've been, the server was very impersonal and just wanted to get us our food and get us out. Also most recently, I made a 10pm reservation and wasn't seated until after 10:30pm which was kind of annoying. I would love to come back with friends and/or family if we would be treated better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the waverlyrb134Dined on 8/30/2014took my wife to the waverly inn saturday evening for her birthday . we were greeted by a friendly and more than courteous staff. read some mixed reviews so this was a nice surprise . our waiter was in training and did a great job. my only complaint is when we arrived the place wasnt crowded yet , but they still sat everyone ( especially the couples) on top of each other. otherwise it was a nice night .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it hereNYCeatsVIPDined on 8/28/2014The Waverly Inn is great. If you're price sensitive, it's not the option for you as most dishes run around $30.Special Features:
- deliciousVIPDined on 8/23/2014pot pie very good ditto on hamburger food good service good murals beautiful the but is great outdoor space need citronella candles for mosquitos
- service was great, food was ehBKfoodlvrDined on 8/22/2014we were beyond excited to try the waveryly inn after heard hype about it for years. we went on a friday night in the summer. service was great, the waiter was very attentive. we sat at a table in the garden that was lovely. we ordered some grilled octopus and gnocchi and crab cakes. the gnocchi was great. everything else was just eh and the drinks were also not so fantastic either. it was definitely a nice, romantic spot but the food left something to be desired and wasn't worth the high price point.Special Features:
- KvetchDined on 8/20/2014The restaurant is too dark to appreciate the mural or read the menu. Service great, food very good.
- Wonderful Place To Dinease1707VIPDined on 8/18/2014The Waverly Inn is a beautiful restaurant. There are a few tables located just outside the main entrance offering the perfect dinner spot to enjoy people watching in the West Village while enjoying a very good dinner. Inside is a beautiful bar and dining room. But behind the dining room is an open air garden area for that perfect place to have your dinner on a summer evening. The food is very good as is the service. The menu is diverse and the overall restaurant is definitely a treat. This is a place to which I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing MealAllergyDinerDined on 8/17/2014I was excited to finally check out The Waverly Inn. It was one of the best meals of my entire life. Everything was amazing down to the charred grapes to the ketchup with a side of fries. It was a Sunday night in August so it was not busy but quiet and romantic. I had read reviews in the past that the staff was rude and unfriendly but I found them to be very nice and accommodating. If you get the opportunity you should go. So worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Waverly Inn still a classicOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/11/2014The food was excellent and the service impeccable. However, the noise level was high and disturbing. I would have preferred more space between my table and my neighbors, and a little more light.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemEstherDDined on 8/7/2014Had a wonderful cosy meal with good friends, the food was great - didn't push the boat out for the $65 mac and cheese though - perhaps next time. Will dine here again.Special Features:
- Slow down!Tally10Dined on 8/7/2014My two girlfriends and I were so pleased to be seated in the garden on a summer night. Our waiter was lovely. The food was fine- perfectly good but nothing special. The most unfortunate part was how rushed we were to order and consume our food- various waiters and bus boys trying to take our plates clearly before we were done. And then the maître d offered us each a glass of champagne at the bar because they wanted to give someone our table. We were there for MAX 2 hours, not to mention that the restaurant was completely empty inside. Terrible place to choose to sit with your friends and relax and catch up. Could never justify going back.Special Features:
- The following 379 reviews are from the The Waverly Inn reviews archive.
- A Great Local ....CliffDined on 7/23/2014Great food and style ....but way to noisy for intimate type conversationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at The Waverly InnDowntownGirlDined on 7/19/2014Thank you so much for always being so accommodating to me and providing such an unforgettable evening. I always enjoy coming to The Waverly Inn and you never disappoint in service, ambiance, and delicious food, not to mention an incredible wine list. Whether its meeting the boyfriend's parents, dinner with friends or taking out a client, The Waverly Inn is always an impressive choice.Special Features:
- HO-HUMcrankyVIPDined on 7/19/2014Was lovely sitting on the front patio but the service was so indifferent - kind, but indifferent. The lovely waiter was totally in the clouds. And when I am being offered something that is not on the menu I would like to know the price of it and not have to ask how much it costs. The information should always be offered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT really makes me cranky that one would presume I don't need/want to know. Food was ok but for $65 I might have like a scrap of bread with my 1-inch square crab cakes and glass of wine! C'mon!
- OVERPRICEDBewitchedDined on 7/12/2014Very nice location, bit snotty manager to take you to your table. Professional, friendly waiter. Restaurant is TOTALLY overpriced. I took the Dover sole, which had the size of a slip sole and was priced 60 Dollari, undercooked haricots verts on the side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ah, the WaverlyAnnieDined on 7/11/2014I used to go here as a kid for the chicken pot pie. Thanks be, it's still on the menu, along with much more. Avoid the $60+ trendy stuff and enjoy a superb burger, gnocchi with mushrooms, iceberg lettuce salad and the smaller, happy dishes. The sides -- especially the old-fashioned creamed spinach -- are excellent, as is the wine list. Outdoor tables are fabulous for brunch. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itFoodaddictDined on 7/11/2014Amazing food, great service in a gorgeous low-lit room. Cool vibe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, that's allNYCdinerVIPDined on 7/10/2014Although the food was prepared well, the overall atmosphere was just ok. Nothing about the ambiance of such a very historic restaurant would make me care to return. There is great food all over the city; there needs to be more.
- Best experience ever!PhenomenalfindDined on 7/2/2014From beginning to end, this dining experience was top notch. An experience in culinary pleasure. A must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWSebastienDined on 7/1/2014What a place! Super charming from the outside, once you get in, you have a dark, romantic bar in front of you. The decor is superb, the atmosphere is cozy like an old & upscale Pub in middle of Scotland. Let's get into what we hold our breath for: food. Just outstanding, you don't need any other word for it. A foodie treasure.Special Features:
- Superb diningGodofadvertisingDined on 6/25/2014We had a brilliant night at this wonderful place. Fantastic food, fantastic wine and fantastic staff. Even the e-mail conversation prior to our visit was great.Special Features: