The Waterfront Restaurant and Cafe
Pier 7 on the Embarcadero
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
The Waterfront Restaurant and Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waterfrontsf.com/
- Phone: (415) 391-2696
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday:
11:30 AM to 4:00 PM. Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00 PM to 10:30 PM.
Sunday: 10.00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary French / American, Californian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full Prix Fix dining menus available, custom-made for your event. Let us help you with all the planning for your special or corporate event. We have Private Rooms available with a Private Bar, a separate kitchen from our Main Dining, Private Restrooms, Expansive views of the Bay, including the Bay Bridge Lights, all accessible via stairs or our private elevator.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Cheryl 8883305948
- Special Events: Happy Hour: Monday-Friday, 3pm-6pm.
A word from The Waterfront Restaurant and Cafe
An Experience in Excellent Californian and Seafood CuisineContinued
With a Gorgeous View of the Bay and the Bay bridge light show
With a Gorgeous View of the Bay and the Bay bridge light show
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Waterfront Restaurant and Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (102)special occasion (61)great for outdoor dining (54)romantic (49)good for groups (40)fit for foodies (32)great for lunch (28)notable wine list (21)neighborhood gem (17)hot spot (8)great for brunch (8)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (6)Show More
- Food & Service- Top Notch!KathyHMBDined on 9/18/2014Every person from the valet parking attendant, to the hostess, bartender, server and bus person gave us their full attention and seemed to care about the service they were providing- a rare occurrence in a restaurant these days. Our lovely Bay Bridge view table was quiet enough for dinner conversation- another unusual accomplishment in the overcrowded restaurant scene. Special kudos to the hostess, who brought a tray to carry our drinks from the bar to the table, and remembered whose drink was whose! Excellent ambiance, fabulous fish dishes and gorgeous desserts.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerContinentalDined on 9/18/2014We got an excellent table with Bay Bridge as a back drop. Our waiter was excellent, professional and attentive. Each one in our party ordered a dish of different kind of seafood, even the appetizers. Food was very good. Most main courses are really a la carte, adding one or two side dishes to the plate would enhance the meal. The downside was a call from the bank that the credit card was charged twice, now we have to deal with this matter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco waterfront diningDrgeeseSFDined on 9/12/2014We had booked this restaurant for a wedding rehearsal dinner for seven and requested a waterfront table. Two days prior I called again to let the restaurant know that our party was now only six and I wanted to confirm a waterfront table. Upon arrival, we were shoehorned into a round table in the middle of an elevated dining area as far from the windows as possible. We talked to the hostess and her attitude was a bit aloof and condescending. After much insistence and asking to see the manager, one of the owners stepped in and resolved the issue. We were taken to the upstairs room which we had to ourselves. After a rocky start, the dinner was wonderful - good food and good service. We ended up having a really nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crabBabsDined on 9/10/2014Crab was the order of the day at our table. The crab was good but my sandwich bread, which was toasted, was too buttery. The bread was dripping in butter.Special Features:
- Spectacular view2fansDined on 9/8/2014While the views from the tables are spectacular waterfront views of the SF Bay and bridge one of us became ill after eating our dinner. The next day, when the management was contacted about the unfortunate outcome, they seemed largely indifferent. Though the food tasted good going down, the aftereffects were not pleasant.Special Features:
- Lunch with special friendstripel7manDined on 9/8/2014Had a few friends stop by during a recent international conference and decided to try to this restaurant. The 8 of us arrived around 1 PM and the place was totally empty. Service was better than expected as only two tables were occupied. The food was good and prices acceptable. The best part was the scenic view of the bay. It was not a bad lunch; however, we did find the chairs uncomfortable. Overall, it’s not an impressive restaurant, but found it acceptable for a quick non-formal lunch.Special Features:
- GrandparentsDined on 9/6/2014Have dined several times the past few years. Still considerate it a good place to attend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wataerfront restaurantdusty1Dined on 9/3/2014It is a lovely setting with fine and understated service and well-prepared food.Special Features:
- Lewis F.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Enjoyed our meal. Our waiter was excellent and the view of the water could not be beat.Special Features:
- Something's upOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014This the second time I've been here. The last in 2011. Then this place was packed and vibrant. However this time, it was dead. Maybe 30-50 people and this place is huge. And it was a Friday night. The food was still great but it just seemed to be dying. And to top it off, our waiter asked us to pay in cash (which we couldn't as we never carry any) as they have not been tipped out in 6 days or something. It was quite awkward and more or less spoiled the night when I had to give him a card. It made me feel bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine as usualJohnDined on 8/26/2014We come here to give special visitors a treat in San Francisco. Views are great, especially with the lights on the Bay Bridge. Service is good (courteous and helpful), food is excellent with some variety, noise level is bad, and the valet parking has now gone from $5 to $14 which means $20 when you tip the attendant. We come here perhaps one or two times a year. Never a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasions toopslaDined on 8/26/2014The restaurant is next to the Exploratorium so we drop by and have lunch there, but last time, we treated some relatives there and the dinner menu was excellent as well. Service was efficient, friendly and non-intrusive. We had a very enjoyable dinner and so did our five year old son. He loved their clam chowder soup and so did we.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food - Small PortionsStanleyDined on 8/26/2014Wonderful Service.. Good Food..Portion Size is small. Covered Patio gets noisy when near full capacity... Otherwise very pleasant. I stopped for tacos after leaving because I was still hungry.Special Features:
- Wonderful for early dinnermizudinesDined on 8/23/2014Dined here with a small group for an early dinner on a Sat eve. The place was not packed and we got a seat right by the window in the outdoor patio. Our waiter was superb and very attentive. Appetizers and mains were delicious. Decent portions and a good variety. Crab cakes and clam chowder for appetizers were winners. Whole Mediterranean Sea Bass was the table favorite. Desserts were ok. I would not come here just for dessert, although the view of the bay bridge lights and the bay was enough of a post-dinner treat.Special Features:
- australian visitorsearleDined on 8/20/2014The location is beautiful -- right on the bay. The food was not remarkable, but OK. The service is inattentive-to-poor.Special Features:
- Great ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014Solid destination for bringing out of town friends. Good variety on the menu, something to please everyone even if they don't like seafood. Wow, a restaurant where you can have a conversation, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco iconMariposashelVIPDined on 8/16/2014With it's name and location being what and where it is, this restaurant is a must for any visitor. My cioppino(sp) was as perfect as I expected and everything was lovely.Special Features:
- No CrabWaytogoVIPDined on 8/14/2014There is no Crab the highlight of the menu but other restaurants of the wharf have crab, what is wrong hereSpecial Features:
- Wonderful seafoodRichardVIPDined on 8/13/2014The crab Louie salad at lunch is superb. It is a generous portion, and the crab is so fresh and delicious. The view is great! This is a first rate experience!Special Features:
- Dinner with a view!DineAboutTownVIPDined on 8/10/2014Excellent service from Kelly. Good seafood and fresh pastas. The oysters were subperb and seafood linguine crave worthy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and oystersVinny2fingersDined on 8/7/2014The main courses were okay but not remarkable. In our 6 person group no one was disappointed but no one was overly impressed either. Oyster selection was good though. The staff is terrific as is the view. Slightly overpriced if you're just about good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ViewDoloresVIPDined on 8/7/2014We had oysters for appetizers and seafood salad for lunch, all so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NapafoodieVIPDined on 8/4/2014I did not dine there! I never made a reservation there either.
- The following 1588 reviews are from the The Waterfront Restaurant and Cafe reviews archive.
- food was great!Phatkhat1Dined on 7/29/2014I went to this place during the Americas Cup, for the fist time. The setting, food, and service was great. I returned to take a friend to lunch for her birthday. The weather was perfect as well as the food. We enjoyed this place. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably not againTrinityVIPDined on 7/26/2014From the somewhat unwelcoming host staff to the for sure bothered and abrupt waiter, my guess is we won't return. I felt like we were dining in one of the "tourist" restaurants where they know you won't be back and consequently won't bother to treat you well. Too much competition for view restaurants to bother with this one again. Too bad as the food was good enough.Special Features:
- Awesomelovtodine1VIPDined on 7/26/2014Outstanding Lunch at the Waterfront. Something we have come to expect and never (to date) been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fish, awfull pastaRamiroOODined on 7/25/2014Try any fish, lobbster, prawns, even the steak is good, but don't ask for the pasta: it's drySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceEmilyDined on 7/25/2014We were seated 45 minutes after our reservation, and our waiter had body odor and got one of our orders wrong. He was not personable. Would not go back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Beautiful View, Best for LunchEricaInCADined on 7/25/2014We are locals, this was our 4th or 5th visit. Cocktails all too sweet, special of the day (halibut), overcooked. With 2 teens who ordered pastas - both were excellent. Heirloom tomato salad & baked oyster 1st courses also excellent. We've had superior meals here before, but the quality of dinner fare has steadily declined. Lobster and crab salad sandwiches at lunchtime are a favorite. Come for the 100% guaranteed beautiful view of the bay, roll the dice with the food. Better options for the same price point available EVERYWHERE. Will keep as a lunch option only.Special Features:
- MehStitchVIPDined on 7/24/2014Good (not great) food marred by lousy service. Server rarely checked on us. Birthday celebration made just a bit less special by waiter.Special Features:
- Great overall - bad serviceJamesNfoodDined on 7/23/2014The food was good. I ate the cioppino and it was delicious with the exception of the mussels. They were very small and rubbery. Maybe they were frozen and pull out of the back of the freezer? I sat outside in the glass-enclosed area and it was nice. The sun was shining and I had a great view of the Bay. The worst part of the experience was the service. The server was never there. When he did show up he stayed for 30 seconds and quickly disappeared. It was an early dinner, 6 PM, so it was not busy at all. When he served the entree, he never checked up on was everything. I wanted a glass of Chardonnay for dinner, but I could not order one until I was half way done with the entree because he never showed up!Special Features:
- Great time and amazing view!nktfoodsDined on 7/19/2014Had a lovely time for dinner here! Amazing view- service was amazing and my boyfriend and I both had the specials and they were delightful. Will come here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ok but view amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014It is worth trying this restaurant. The food is okay, but the view and environment are great.Special Features:
- what a combinationWaytogoVIPDined on 7/18/2014Great food, Great service and Great View what a find we will returnSpecial Features:
- KMSksennDined on 7/18/2014This was the first time dining at the waterfront. My husband and I had lunch and we were not impressed. The food was good but nothing over the top, but the service was terrible. I had to ask for water 4 times before we got a glass!!! The view is lovely overlooking the bay. Perhaps dinner is a different experience. Not sure if we would go back.Special Features:
- Enjoyable lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014We met up with family for a scenic lunch at the Waterfront. The food is consistently good, the service is good, and the view is outstanding. It is also nice that they have valet parking available. We very much like that they don't hurry you here-- if you want to linger over lunch and visit, the staff are great and continue to refill your water and pay attention, even if the bill has been settled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/15/2014The food was very yummy!! Great views and service. Even my daughter had fun at this restaurant!! Waitstaff and front desk were both very attentive without being too pushy or not there at all -- just right!Special Features:
- disappointedtra01Dined on 7/14/2014I've never said this about a classic restaurant. Combo of disappointment. Poor service, felt neglected and it wasn't even busy. Not going back. Just wanted to share.Special Features:
- Great view, Great service!EJDBostonDined on 7/13/2014Great wait staff, superb view. The food is competently prepared and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrTea2Dined on 7/13/2014Held a surprise birthday dinner for a dear friend. Everything was wonderful. The food was great and the service was outstanding.Special Features: