The Waterfront Restaurant and Cafe
Pier 7 on the Embarcadero
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
The Waterfront Restaurant and Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waterfrontsf.com/
- Phone: 415 391 2696x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday:
11:30 AM to 4:00 PM. Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00 PM to 10:30 PM.
Sunday: 10.00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary French / American, Californian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full Prix Fix dining menus available, custom-made for your event. Let us help you with all the planning for your special or corporate event. We have Private Rooms available with a Private Bar, a separate kitchen from our Main Dining, Private Restrooms, Expansive views of the Bay, including the Bay Bridge Lights, all accessible via stairs or our private elevator.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Cheryl 8883305948
- Special Events: Happy Hour: Monday-Friday, 3pm-6pm.
A word from The Waterfront Restaurant and Cafe
An Experience in Excellent Californian and Seafood CuisineContinued
With a Gorgeous View of the Bay and the Bay bridge light show
With a Gorgeous View of the Bay and the Bay bridge light show
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Waterfront Restaurant and Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (159)great for outdoor dining (79)special occasion (78)romantic (62)great for lunch (47)good for groups (41)fit for foodies (35)great for brunch (27)notable wine list (22)neighborhood gem (20)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (6)Show More
- Something's upOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014This the second time I've been here. The last in 2011. Then this place was packed and vibrant. However this time, it was dead. Maybe 30-50 people and this place is huge. And it was a Friday night. The food was still great but it just seemed to be dying. And to top it off, our waiter asked us to pay in cash (which we couldn't as we never carry any) as they have not been tipped out in 6 days or something. It was quite awkward and more or less spoiled the night when I had to give him a card. It made me feel bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine as usualJohnDined on 8/26/2014We come here to give special visitors a treat in San Francisco. Views are great, especially with the lights on the Bay Bridge. Service is good (courteous and helpful), food is excellent with some variety, noise level is bad, and the valet parking has now gone from $5 to $14 which means $20 when you tip the attendant. We come here perhaps one or two times a year. Never a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasions toopslaDined on 8/26/2014The restaurant is next to the Exploratorium so we drop by and have lunch there, but last time, we treated some relatives there and the dinner menu was excellent as well. Service was efficient, friendly and non-intrusive. We had a very enjoyable dinner and so did our five year old son. He loved their clam chowder soup and so did we.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food - Small PortionsStanleyDined on 8/26/2014Wonderful Service.. Good Food..Portion Size is small. Covered Patio gets noisy when near full capacity... Otherwise very pleasant. I stopped for tacos after leaving because I was still hungry.Special Features:
- Wonderful for early dinnermizudinesDined on 8/23/2014Dined here with a small group for an early dinner on a Sat eve. The place was not packed and we got a seat right by the window in the outdoor patio. Our waiter was superb and very attentive. Appetizers and mains were delicious. Decent portions and a good variety. Crab cakes and clam chowder for appetizers were winners. Whole Mediterranean Sea Bass was the table favorite. Desserts were ok. I would not come here just for dessert, although the view of the bay bridge lights and the bay was enough of a post-dinner treat.Special Features:
- australian visitorsearleDined on 8/20/2014The location is beautiful -- right on the bay. The food was not remarkable, but OK. The service is inattentive-to-poor.Special Features:
- Great ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014Solid destination for bringing out of town friends. Good variety on the menu, something to please everyone even if they don't like seafood. Wow, a restaurant where you can have a conversation, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco iconMariposashelVIPDined on 8/16/2014With it's name and location being what and where it is, this restaurant is a must for any visitor. My cioppino(sp) was as perfect as I expected and everything was lovely.Special Features:
- No CrabWaytogoVIPDined on 8/14/2014There is no Crab the highlight of the menu but other restaurants of the wharf have crab, what is wrong hereSpecial Features:
- Wonderful seafoodRichardVIPDined on 8/13/2014The crab Louie salad at lunch is superb. It is a generous portion, and the crab is so fresh and delicious. The view is great! This is a first rate experience!Special Features:
- Dinner with a view!DineAboutTownVIPDined on 8/10/2014Excellent service from Kelly. Good seafood and fresh pastas. The oysters were subperb and seafood linguine crave worthy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and oystersVinny2fingersDined on 8/7/2014The main courses were okay but not remarkable. In our 6 person group no one was disappointed but no one was overly impressed either. Oyster selection was good though. The staff is terrific as is the view. Slightly overpriced if you're just about good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ViewDoloresVIPDined on 8/7/2014We had oysters for appetizers and seafood salad for lunch, all so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/4/2014I did not dine there! I never made a reservation there either.
- food was great!Phatkhat1Dined on 7/29/2014I went to this place during the Americas Cup, for the fist time. The setting, food, and service was great. I returned to take a friend to lunch for her birthday. The weather was perfect as well as the food. We enjoyed this place. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably not againTrinityVIPDined on 7/26/2014From the somewhat unwelcoming host staff to the for sure bothered and abrupt waiter, my guess is we won't return. I felt like we were dining in one of the "tourist" restaurants where they know you won't be back and consequently won't bother to treat you well. Too much competition for view restaurants to bother with this one again. Too bad as the food was good enough.Special Features:
- Awesomelovtodine1Dined on 7/26/2014Outstanding Lunch at the Waterfront. Something we have come to expect and never (to date) been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fish, awfull pastaRamiroOODined on 7/25/2014Try any fish, lobbster, prawns, even the steak is good, but don't ask for the pasta: it's drySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceEmilyDined on 7/25/2014We were seated 45 minutes after our reservation, and our waiter had body odor and got one of our orders wrong. He was not personable. Would not go back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Beautiful View, Best for LunchEricaInCADined on 7/25/2014We are locals, this was our 4th or 5th visit. Cocktails all too sweet, special of the day (halibut), overcooked. With 2 teens who ordered pastas - both were excellent. Heirloom tomato salad & baked oyster 1st courses also excellent. We've had superior meals here before, but the quality of dinner fare has steadily declined. Lobster and crab salad sandwiches at lunchtime are a favorite. Come for the 100% guaranteed beautiful view of the bay, roll the dice with the food. Better options for the same price point available EVERYWHERE. Will keep as a lunch option only.Special Features:
- MehStitchVIPDined on 7/24/2014Good (not great) food marred by lousy service. Server rarely checked on us. Birthday celebration made just a bit less special by waiter.Special Features:
- Great overall - bad serviceJamesNfoodDined on 7/23/2014The food was good. I ate the cioppino and it was delicious with the exception of the mussels. They were very small and rubbery. Maybe they were frozen and pull out of the back of the freezer? I sat outside in the glass-enclosed area and it was nice. The sun was shining and I had a great view of the Bay. The worst part of the experience was the service. The server was never there. When he did show up he stayed for 30 seconds and quickly disappeared. It was an early dinner, 6 PM, so it was not busy at all. When he served the entree, he never checked up on was everything. I wanted a glass of Chardonnay for dinner, but I could not order one until I was half way done with the entree because he never showed up!Special Features:
- Great time and amazing view!nktfoodsDined on 7/19/2014Had a lovely time for dinner here! Amazing view- service was amazing and my boyfriend and I both had the specials and they were delightful. Will come here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ok but view amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014It is worth trying this restaurant. The food is okay, but the view and environment are great.Special Features:
- what a combinationWaytogoVIPDined on 7/18/2014Great food, Great service and Great View what a find we will returnSpecial Features:
- KMSksennDined on 7/18/2014This was the first time dining at the waterfront. My husband and I had lunch and we were not impressed. The food was good but nothing over the top, but the service was terrible. I had to ask for water 4 times before we got a glass!!! The view is lovely overlooking the bay. Perhaps dinner is a different experience. Not sure if we would go back.Special Features:
- Enjoyable lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014We met up with family for a scenic lunch at the Waterfront. The food is consistently good, the service is good, and the view is outstanding. It is also nice that they have valet parking available. We very much like that they don't hurry you here-- if you want to linger over lunch and visit, the staff are great and continue to refill your water and pay attention, even if the bill has been settled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/15/2014The food was very yummy!! Great views and service. Even my daughter had fun at this restaurant!! Waitstaff and front desk were both very attentive without being too pushy or not there at all -- just right!Special Features:
- disappointedtra01Dined on 7/14/2014I've never said this about a classic restaurant. Combo of disappointment. Poor service, felt neglected and it wasn't even busy. Not going back. Just wanted to share.Special Features:
- Great view, Great service!EJDBostonDined on 7/13/2014Great wait staff, superb view. The food is competently prepared and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrTea2Dined on 7/13/2014Held a surprise birthday dinner for a dear friend. Everything was wonderful. The food was great and the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Good, not greatDiner101Dined on 7/11/2014Decent food, poor services. A bit overpriced like all waterfront restaurants, but at least it's not fisherman's wharf.Special Features:
- RPRP66Dined on 7/11/2014The table was great with a great view of the bay but the drinks were very small for the price. We have been here before and were a bit disappointed in the quality of the fish compared to previous visits (at least five previous times). Would probably go else where with all the other choices.Special Features:
- RichardVIPDined on 7/9/2014When we arrived for our 7:30 reservation we were told our table wouldn't be ready for 30 minutes. Not a good start, but they offered us free drinks at the bar.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014Our entrees came before the wine we ordered, twice we had to get up to go find our waiter, things were brought out completely wrong. I do not normally complain about service but this guy genuinely seemed to hate his jobSpecial Features:
- RedbootsDined on 7/6/2014A great place to take friends when are visiting from out of town. It is always a hit on so many levels. The Homemade Seafood Linguini is our personal favourite and we never grow tired of it. The best in town really!! ALL of our guests have really really enjoyed The Waterfront.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014Delicious food, leisurely dining allowed us to enjoy the lights of the bay bridgeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st Visit WaterfrontOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Booked through open table and were seated right on time. The food was pretty good ..oysters (raw) were delicious! The risotto I had as an app was also pretty good ..I've had some that are better. My friends tried the lobster Mac and Cheese as their apps and it wasn't spectacular which is what we hoped for. My main dish the handmade seafood pasta came out a bit clumpy ..I'm used to pasta being soft and easy to manage. The whole fish was to be stuffed with crab but it seemed as if the crab had just been topped - the fish however was cooked perfectly and was delicious! My friends temp on the steak was a bit too rare for her and she'd asked for it medium rare but there was a great sear on it which saved it. Overall I'd go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good; service a bit slowSpecialPDined on 7/4/2014It was the 4th of July and therefore very busy, perhaps that explains why the service was a bit slow, however the food was quite good. I had the chicken breast with sides of green beans with bacon. Another diner at my table had the lobster mac and cheese that was served in a huge portion and was rich and creamy.Special Features:
- Nothing SpecialDrWizardDined on 7/3/2014The food was bland and uninspired. Not bad enough for one star, but nothing memorable or special here.