The Waterfront Restaurant and Cafe
Pier 7 on the Embarcadero
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
The Waterfront Restaurant and Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waterfrontsf.com/
- Phone: (415) 391-2696
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday:
11:30 AM to 4:00 PM. Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00 PM to 10:30 PM.
Sunday: 10.00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary French / American, Californian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full Prix Fix dining menus available, custom-made for your event. Let us help you with all the planning for your special or corporate event. We have Private Rooms available with a Private Bar, a separate kitchen from our Main Dining, Private Restrooms, Expansive views of the Bay, including the Bay Bridge Lights, all accessible via stairs or our private elevator.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Cheryl 8883305948
- Special Events: Happy Hour: Monday-Friday, 3pm-6pm.
A word from The Waterfront Restaurant and Cafe
An Experience in Excellent Californian and Seafood CuisineContinued
With a Gorgeous View of the Bay and the Bay bridge light show
With a Gorgeous View of the Bay and the Bay bridge light show
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Waterfront Restaurant and Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (104)special occasion (62)great for outdoor dining (55)romantic (52)good for groups (39)fit for foodies (30)great for lunch (27)notable wine list (21)neighborhood gem (17)great for brunch (9)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (6)Show More
- Nice waterside experiencetlb1Dined on 11/21/2014Very nice view, good wine selection, and they know exactly how to cook types of fish that many restaurants cannot get just right. We went for a business meal and I was taking people who are very into cooking, and they were very impressed with the chef's ability to get the fish perfectly done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely location, dull cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014Service was slow, if personable; food was routine uninspiring. The views of the Bay Bridge lit up at night, however, were wonderful — I would have been happy to merely pay for the privilege of a table, and have brought take-out from Out the Door or some such.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/19/2014excellent food and geat vies of the bay. the Wait staff wa excellent and atentiveSpecial Features:
- Great View, Great Service and GF-DF accomodatedGF2DFDined on 11/17/2014Great spot for dinner with an excellent view and fantastic service. We had a visitor form London in our party who was impressed by the location and view. Two members in our party had food allergies (including gluten, dairy, and onions) which were accomodated thanks to a fantastic server (Mike) who took the time to ask questions and guide us through the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MLLAtraveleDined on 11/15/2014Our visit was the last night of a special trip to SF for a group of friends from all over the US. They accommodated us with a window table, the evening was clear, the view amazing, and an added bonus was watching the light show on the Bay Bridge. Magical! The food was very good, noise level was relatively low, and it made it easy for our conversation. Loved it.....we'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014Service was excellent. The staff was very good and the meal delicious no one hurried us so we could really enjoy our mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommend this perfect restaurant!HappyDinersDined on 11/11/2014We were seated on the ground floor in the dining room which overlooked the Bay Bridge and the lights reflected beautifully on the bay. We ordered a bottle of Matanzas Creek Sauvignon Blanc to share. My husband started with Hani Hani oysters (which were delicious but very small) and I had a green salad which was fresh and citrusy. We both ordered the hand made linguini with seafood which included lobster, crab, mussels, clams and shrimp although we held the mussels. It was to die for! Seriously, the pasta was so fresh as was the seafood we cleaned our bowls and it was not a skimpy portion. Wow, must come back for this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!matt1Dined on 11/8/2014One of the best seafood dinners ever! Beautiful location.Special Features:
- If all you want is a scenic view...CTRiverValleyFoodiesDined on 11/7/2014While the ambiance was beautiful with a full moon rising beyond the bridge--the food was terrible! Me and my husband both ordered steaks--I had the filet and he had a NY strip. Both plates at $48. The beef was a very poor quality (especially for the price) with so much grizzle we couldn't eat them :(. I had high hopes for the lobster mac and cheese appetizer too--but it was ruined by a heavy hand on the truffle oil.Special Features:
- Not what it was once.FrankDined on 11/2/2014Waterfront was always one of my "go to" places in the City. The view and food were always exceptional. The views still great but the food was average at best.Special Features:
- Smelled like seafoodChichiVIPDined on 11/1/2014This was our 1st time to eat at this restaurant and was surprised at how "fishy" the place smelled when we first entered. I know it's a seafood restaurant but it had a very strong seafood smell. A lot like eating a fresh oyster. Fortunately the food was still good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unforgetable dinning experienceltoviedoDined on 10/27/2014The food, the service, the ambiance, the view of the bay and the ligthed bay view were outsranfing. All these make Waterfront Restaurant a must-come back place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousWCMommaof3Dined on 10/25/2014Perfect splurge for my husband's birthday. We were able to leave the kids at home and dine as adults for a change! The waiter (Robert) suggested a nice Cabernet that was spicy and full-bodied. I started with a Ginger Collins which I highly recommend as well.The oysters on the half shell were amazing as was the tuna tartar. My husband had fresh fish a la cart which was good, but weird that it was a la carte for that price. ($28). He paired it with brussel sprouts topped with bacon that he really enjoyed. I had the seafood linguini which was house made. It was very good -- seafood was excellent -- I just thought it would be creamier. For dessert we shared the Toffee Pudding which was good. Amazing, romantic view of the Bay Bridge Light show.Special Features:
- Birthday DisappointmentsomethingnewDined on 10/24/2014The seating on the covered patio made the "finer" dining experience feel like a pier shack. The gentleman who seated us tried to argue that the table he was seating us at wasn't drafty -as he stared straight at the 1/2in gap between the glass doors. The food was okay but really nothing spectacular.
- great food, gorgeous viewCalgirlVIPDined on 10/18/2014We were two couples who dined here recently on a Saturday night. In our reservation we had asked for a "table with a view" (of the lights on the Bay Bridge,) and we were graciously accommodated. All the dishes we ordered were very good. If I wanted to be picky, I could say the crab/tomato salad was hardly dressed at all and a little bland, and the lobster risotto small plate had a little too much parmesan, but it was all still tasty. The server was attentive but patient as we were not in a hurry -- not with that view in front of us. Good wine list, also. We look forward to coming back.Special Features:
- Leisurely atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Not a high paced restaurant, they definitely want you to take your time eating and enjoy the views. Food was freash and flavorful from the appetizers and salad to the main courses. Price seemed comparable to all other restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- Fabulous on the Waterpatbattle7Dined on 10/18/2014The view is memorable, beautiful sites of the bay, food was especially good, service was impeccable. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning viewsRdtheWrldTrvlerVIPDined on 10/17/2014I had a friend visiting from Europe and wanted a location with a stellar and classic SF view. Hard to beat front row seats to the Bay Bridge lit up at night. We both enjoyed our meals and the service was very attentive and friendly. Though not memorable, the food was good and we had a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful view!BwoodguyDined on 10/17/2014We were seated right at the window on a beautiful clear night. Outstanding service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/17/2014We enjoyed the complete experience from the ambiance to the food to the great service.Special Features:
- OutstandingmvlocalDined on 10/17/2014The Waterfront Restaurant is my go-to dining establishment when I'm entertaining out of town guests. We always get a table where I request it (the rear patio), and we can be assured of quiet, elegant dining with attentive service. The food is excellent; the view is breathtaking.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/15/2014Sole was good but wouldn't recommend the white sweet corn soup (ours was lukewarm).I would recommend this to a friend.
- WorthwhileBLDRDined on 10/13/2014Service a bit slower than last time I was there. My glass of wine not served until appetizer came (after the bread arrived). Halibut was fabulous but the root veggies were not caramelized as the menu stated, tasted like they were barely steamed. Our left overs were put in nice little containers to carry home. Great view, otherwise, I am not sure we will continue to go to this restaurant.Special Features:
- San Francisco ClassicVegasPennyDined on 10/12/2014The Waterfront Restaurant on Embarcadero has a great view of the Bay Bridge and waterfront. The wait staff is professional and expeditious. However, they do not rush you and understand that just enjoying the view is part of the experience. Their menu is primarily seafood based. They gave great Bloody Mary's for Sunday brunch, nice and spicy. Perfect end to our long weekend trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Great experience! I would definetly go back again. From out of state, but it was all amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what i expectedEllaDined on 10/7/2014We sat in the tent dining area, it had a great view but was filled with loud rowdy people. People in business suits, and party that came dressed up were the loudest and most offensive. The atmosphere is not romantic at all, do not recommend for a date, but maybe a drinking party. The room had a great view, but the service was almost non existant, as waiters paid most attention to the the suits and large parties. I was a expecting a nicer atmosphere, and better service and was hugely disappointed. The steak was amazing however.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014The service was tremendous. I had a special request because this was a date and the service was outstanding. They made all of the necessary accommodations that I asked for. I am also a wheelchair user and they were very accommodating for that as well. Thank you and I plan on eating there again.Special Features:
- ExpensiveChowhoundDined on 10/4/2014Expensive, but nice for a good feel for San Francisco without going to the Fisherman's Warf area and fighting the crowds. I really liked that the noise level was low and you could carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beauty on the waterfamilyloves2dineVIPDined on 10/4/2014This is a beautiful place on the water! Great food, beautiful view, and great drinks (mojitos!). Very sorry to say that the service was poor. It took 15 minutes just to get a cocktail. Waiter didn't understand questions we were asking. Never came to the table on his own; we had to ask for him when we wanted to have a drink and order food. Our dishes weren't cleared for 20 minutes when we were finished eating.Special Features:
- Big disappointmentLove2cookandeatVIPDined on 10/4/2014Poorly prepared seafood (crab and scallops) and rediculously small portions. Doesn't stop them from charging very high prices. Avoid it. There are so many good seafood restaurants in San Francisco with views. Waterfront is not oneSpecial Features:
- Happy ExperienceProjectDined on 10/1/2014I had a happy experience at Pampas. The food was excellent. The service was decent. The ambiance was good. Salad bar and meat both satisfied the vegetarians and meat eaters.Special Features:
- Excellent waiter!OntimedineVIPDined on 9/27/2014We have dined about 5 times at Waterfront over last few years. Food wasn't as good this time (salad flavorless and fish overcooked) but will still return in the future because the waiter this time was fantastic and made up for the food. Mike was the kind of waiter I wish all restaurants had. Didn't "push" this appetizer or desert, didn't hover, didn't keep asking us "how our dinner was" instead was just so efficient, prompt and honestly friendly and helpful (not an act like with so many other waiters). Mike noticed we needed more bread, so he reminded the "bread boy". "Bread boy" got busy and forgot, but Mike remembered, followed-up and even got the bread himself for our table. Ask for Mike when you go to Waterfront-you'll be treated well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/25/2014Seafoods are good, service is nice, with great view toward the east bridge baySpecial Features:
- FantasticTexasMartiniGirlDined on 9/25/2014We visited SF from Texas and went to this restaurant for the first time to celebrate our birthday. It was fantastic! The bartender was very gracious, great drinks; the food outstanding, the service impressive and the view of the bay was just gorgeous; completely relaxing. We will definitely make this restaurant a regular indulgence when we visit SF in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Idyllic Lunch!DoctorRVIPDined on 9/22/2014My wife and I both thoroughly enjoyed a fabulous lunch on the covered patio! We started with their fabulous Crab Cakes, followed with a perfect Caesar Salad and then enjoyed a different fresh fish preparation and were both delighted with our choices. Fantastic seafood!Special Features:
- mikeDined on 9/22/2014Half the tables were empty--the lunch rush was over, because we had a 1:00PM reservation, yet they seated us at the table right next to the service station, which was right next to the bar. If we walked in at 11:45 with no reservation and all but 2 or 3 tables were already seated, I could understand a waiter captain snub like that.Special Features:
- Good food but horrible serviceExplorerDined on 9/20/2014My friend ordered the salmon and it was nicely cooked but not dry. I ordered the halibut and it was really, really good. The grilled vegetable on the side was very tasty too. We shared the dessert sampler and that was amazing too. But service was horrible. waiter came once to see if we want to order any drink. My friend asked for water. I was just about to order and the waiter walked away without taking my order. But no water came and didn't come back till 40 minute later my friend went to the winter station to get him. I can't believe the excuse he use. He said he was waiting for us to finish talking. Really?!!! Seriously!!! What kind of excuse was that.Special Features:
- Great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014We had a good time dining at this restaurant. The view was great and the food was good. Only reason for not giving 5 stars was we asked for lemon for our water 3 times. We had to ask for more bread twice after we got our meal before we got it, so my pasta was not that hot when I got to eat it with the bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Night Ever!food4funDined on 9/19/2014We took my parents there for 60th wedding anniversary, because my mom wanted to see the lights on Bay Bridge, we had the best seat in the house in my opinion. Bill our waiter was on point all night awesome service, really great food, everything we could have hoped for Thanks Waterfront Restaurant & Open Table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & Service- Top Notch!KathyHMBDined on 9/18/2014Every person from the valet parking attendant, to the hostess, bartender, server and bus person gave us their full attention and seemed to care about the service they were providing- a rare occurrence in a restaurant these days. Our lovely Bay Bridge view table was quiet enough for dinner conversation- another unusual accomplishment in the overcrowded restaurant scene. Special kudos to the hostess, who brought a tray to carry our drinks from the bar to the table, and remembered whose drink was whose! Excellent ambiance, fabulous fish dishes and gorgeous desserts.Special Features: