The Waterfront Restaurant and Cafe
Pier 7 on the Embarcadero
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
The Waterfront Restaurant and Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waterfrontsf.com/
- Phone: 415 391 2696x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday:
11:30 AM to 4:00 PM. Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00 PM to 10:30 PM.
Sunday: 10.00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary French / American, Californian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full Prix Fix dining menus available, custom-made for your event. Let us help you with all the planning for your special or corporate event. We have Private Rooms available with a Private Bar, a separate kitchen from our Main Dining, Private Restrooms, Expansive views of the Bay, including the Bay Bridge Lights, all accessible via stairs or our private elevator.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Cheryl 8883305948
- Special Events: Happy Hour: Monday-Friday, 3pm-6pm.
A word from The Waterfront Restaurant and Cafe
An Experience in Excellent Californian and Seafood CuisineContinued
With a Gorgeous View of the Bay and the Bay bridge light show
With a Gorgeous View of the Bay and the Bay bridge light show
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Waterfront Restaurant and Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (143)special occasion (74)great for outdoor dining (72)romantic (59)great for lunch (45)good for groups (40)fit for foodies (29)notable wine list (23)great for brunch (22)kid-friendly (14)neighborhood gem (14)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (8)hot spot (6)Show More
- Excellent waiter!OntimedineVIPDined on 9/27/2014We have dined about 5 times at Waterfront over last few years. Food wasn't as good this time (salad flavorless and fish overcooked) but will still return in the future because the waiter this time was fantastic and made up for the food. Mike was the kind of waiter I wish all restaurants had. Didn't "push" this appetizer or desert, didn't hover, didn't keep asking us "how our dinner was" instead was just so efficient, prompt and honestly friendly and helpful (not an act like with so many other waiters). Mike noticed we needed more bread, so he reminded the "bread boy". "Bread boy" got busy and forgot, but Mike remembered, followed-up and even got the bread himself for our table. Ask for Mike when you go to Waterfront-you'll be treated well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/25/2014Seafoods are good, service is nice, with great view toward the east bridge baySpecial Features:
- FantasticTexasMartiniGirlDined on 9/25/2014We visited SF from Texas and went to this restaurant for the first time to celebrate our birthday. It was fantastic! The bartender was very gracious, great drinks; the food outstanding, the service impressive and the view of the bay was just gorgeous; completely relaxing. We will definitely make this restaurant a regular indulgence when we visit SF in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Idyllic Lunch!DoctorRVIPDined on 9/22/2014My wife and I both thoroughly enjoyed a fabulous lunch on the covered patio! We started with their fabulous Crab Cakes, followed with a perfect Caesar Salad and then enjoyed a different fresh fish preparation and were both delighted with our choices. Fantastic seafood!Special Features:
- mikeDined on 9/22/2014Half the tables were empty--the lunch rush was over, because we had a 1:00PM reservation, yet they seated us at the table right next to the service station, which was right next to the bar. If we walked in at 11:45 with no reservation and all but 2 or 3 tables were already seated, I could understand a waiter captain snub like that.Special Features:
- Good food but horrible serviceExplorerDined on 9/20/2014My friend ordered the salmon and it was nicely cooked but not dry. I ordered the halibut and it was really, really good. The grilled vegetable on the side was very tasty too. We shared the dessert sampler and that was amazing too. But service was horrible. waiter came once to see if we want to order any drink. My friend asked for water. I was just about to order and the waiter walked away without taking my order. But no water came and didn't come back till 40 minute later my friend went to the winter station to get him. I can't believe the excuse he use. He said he was waiting for us to finish talking. Really?!!! Seriously!!! What kind of excuse was that.Special Features:
- Great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014We had a good time dining at this restaurant. The view was great and the food was good. Only reason for not giving 5 stars was we asked for lemon for our water 3 times. We had to ask for more bread twice after we got our meal before we got it, so my pasta was not that hot when I got to eat it with the bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Night Ever!food4funDined on 9/19/2014We took my parents there for 60th wedding anniversary, because my mom wanted to see the lights on Bay Bridge, we had the best seat in the house in my opinion. Bill our waiter was on point all night awesome service, really great food, everything we could have hoped for Thanks Waterfront Restaurant & Open Table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & Service- Top Notch!KathyHMBDined on 9/18/2014Every person from the valet parking attendant, to the hostess, bartender, server and bus person gave us their full attention and seemed to care about the service they were providing- a rare occurrence in a restaurant these days. Our lovely Bay Bridge view table was quiet enough for dinner conversation- another unusual accomplishment in the overcrowded restaurant scene. Special kudos to the hostess, who brought a tray to carry our drinks from the bar to the table, and remembered whose drink was whose! Excellent ambiance, fabulous fish dishes and gorgeous desserts.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerContinentalDined on 9/18/2014We got an excellent table with Bay Bridge as a back drop. Our waiter was excellent, professional and attentive. Each one in our party ordered a dish of different kind of seafood, even the appetizers. Food was very good. Most main courses are really a la carte, adding one or two side dishes to the plate would enhance the meal. The downside was a call from the bank that the credit card was charged twice, now we have to deal with this matter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco waterfront diningDrgeeseSFDined on 9/12/2014We had booked this restaurant for a wedding rehearsal dinner for seven and requested a waterfront table. Two days prior I called again to let the restaurant know that our party was now only six and I wanted to confirm a waterfront table. Upon arrival, we were shoehorned into a round table in the middle of an elevated dining area as far from the windows as possible. We talked to the hostess and her attitude was a bit aloof and condescending. After much insistence and asking to see the manager, one of the owners stepped in and resolved the issue. We were taken to the upstairs room which we had to ourselves. After a rocky start, the dinner was wonderful - good food and good service. We ended up having a really nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crabBabsDined on 9/10/2014Crab was the order of the day at our table. The crab was good but my sandwich bread, which was toasted, was too buttery. The bread was dripping in butter.Special Features:
- Spectacular view2fansDined on 9/8/2014While the views from the tables are spectacular waterfront views of the SF Bay and bridge one of us became ill after eating our dinner. The next day, when the management was contacted about the unfortunate outcome, they seemed largely indifferent. Though the food tasted good going down, the aftereffects were not pleasant.Special Features:
- Lunch with special friendstripel7manDined on 9/8/2014Had a few friends stop by during a recent international conference and decided to try to this restaurant. The 8 of us arrived around 1 PM and the place was totally empty. Service was better than expected as only two tables were occupied. The food was good and prices acceptable. The best part was the scenic view of the bay. It was not a bad lunch; however, we did find the chairs uncomfortable. Overall, it’s not an impressive restaurant, but found it acceptable for a quick non-formal lunch.Special Features:
- GrandparentsDined on 9/6/2014Have dined several times the past few years. Still considerate it a good place to attend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wataerfront restaurantdusty1Dined on 9/3/2014It is a lovely setting with fine and understated service and well-prepared food.Special Features:
- Lewis F.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Enjoyed our meal. Our waiter was excellent and the view of the water could not be beat.Special Features:
- Something's upOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014This the second time I've been here. The last in 2011. Then this place was packed and vibrant. However this time, it was dead. Maybe 30-50 people and this place is huge. And it was a Friday night. The food was still great but it just seemed to be dying. And to top it off, our waiter asked us to pay in cash (which we couldn't as we never carry any) as they have not been tipped out in 6 days or something. It was quite awkward and more or less spoiled the night when I had to give him a card. It made me feel bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine as usualJohnDined on 8/26/2014We come here to give special visitors a treat in San Francisco. Views are great, especially with the lights on the Bay Bridge. Service is good (courteous and helpful), food is excellent with some variety, noise level is bad, and the valet parking has now gone from $5 to $14 which means $20 when you tip the attendant. We come here perhaps one or two times a year. Never a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasions toopslaDined on 8/26/2014The restaurant is next to the Exploratorium so we drop by and have lunch there, but last time, we treated some relatives there and the dinner menu was excellent as well. Service was efficient, friendly and non-intrusive. We had a very enjoyable dinner and so did our five year old son. He loved their clam chowder soup and so did we.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food - Small PortionsStanleyDined on 8/26/2014Wonderful Service.. Good Food..Portion Size is small. Covered Patio gets noisy when near full capacity... Otherwise very pleasant. I stopped for tacos after leaving because I was still hungry.Special Features:
- Wonderful for early dinnermizudinesDined on 8/23/2014Dined here with a small group for an early dinner on a Sat eve. The place was not packed and we got a seat right by the window in the outdoor patio. Our waiter was superb and very attentive. Appetizers and mains were delicious. Decent portions and a good variety. Crab cakes and clam chowder for appetizers were winners. Whole Mediterranean Sea Bass was the table favorite. Desserts were ok. I would not come here just for dessert, although the view of the bay bridge lights and the bay was enough of a post-dinner treat.Special Features:
- australian visitorsearleDined on 8/20/2014The location is beautiful -- right on the bay. The food was not remarkable, but OK. The service is inattentive-to-poor.Special Features:
- Great ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014Solid destination for bringing out of town friends. Good variety on the menu, something to please everyone even if they don't like seafood. Wow, a restaurant where you can have a conversation, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco iconMariposashelVIPDined on 8/16/2014With it's name and location being what and where it is, this restaurant is a must for any visitor. My cioppino(sp) was as perfect as I expected and everything was lovely.Special Features:
- No CrabWaytogoVIPDined on 8/14/2014There is no Crab the highlight of the menu but other restaurants of the wharf have crab, what is wrong hereSpecial Features:
- Wonderful seafoodRichardVIPDined on 8/13/2014The crab Louie salad at lunch is superb. It is a generous portion, and the crab is so fresh and delicious. The view is great! This is a first rate experience!Special Features:
- Dinner with a view!DineAboutTownVIPDined on 8/10/2014Excellent service from Kelly. Good seafood and fresh pastas. The oysters were subperb and seafood linguine crave worthy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and oystersVinny2fingersDined on 8/7/2014The main courses were okay but not remarkable. In our 6 person group no one was disappointed but no one was overly impressed either. Oyster selection was good though. The staff is terrific as is the view. Slightly overpriced if you're just about good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ViewDoloresVIPDined on 8/7/2014We had oysters for appetizers and seafood salad for lunch, all so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/4/2014I did not dine there! I never made a reservation there either.
- food was great!Phatkhat1Dined on 7/29/2014I went to this place during the Americas Cup, for the fist time. The setting, food, and service was great. I returned to take a friend to lunch for her birthday. The weather was perfect as well as the food. We enjoyed this place. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably not againTrinityVIPDined on 7/26/2014From the somewhat unwelcoming host staff to the for sure bothered and abrupt waiter, my guess is we won't return. I felt like we were dining in one of the "tourist" restaurants where they know you won't be back and consequently won't bother to treat you well. Too much competition for view restaurants to bother with this one again. Too bad as the food was good enough.Special Features:
- Awesomelovtodine1Dined on 7/26/2014Outstanding Lunch at the Waterfront. Something we have come to expect and never (to date) been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fish, awfull pastaRamiroOODined on 7/25/2014Try any fish, lobbster, prawns, even the steak is good, but don't ask for the pasta: it's drySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceEmilyDined on 7/25/2014We were seated 45 minutes after our reservation, and our waiter had body odor and got one of our orders wrong. He was not personable. Would not go back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Beautiful View, Best for LunchEricaInCADined on 7/25/2014We are locals, this was our 4th or 5th visit. Cocktails all too sweet, special of the day (halibut), overcooked. With 2 teens who ordered pastas - both were excellent. Heirloom tomato salad & baked oyster 1st courses also excellent. We've had superior meals here before, but the quality of dinner fare has steadily declined. Lobster and crab salad sandwiches at lunchtime are a favorite. Come for the 100% guaranteed beautiful view of the bay, roll the dice with the food. Better options for the same price point available EVERYWHERE. Will keep as a lunch option only.Special Features:
- MehStitchVIPDined on 7/24/2014Good (not great) food marred by lousy service. Server rarely checked on us. Birthday celebration made just a bit less special by waiter.Special Features:
- Great overall - bad serviceJamesNfoodDined on 7/23/2014The food was good. I ate the cioppino and it was delicious with the exception of the mussels. They were very small and rubbery. Maybe they were frozen and pull out of the back of the freezer? I sat outside in the glass-enclosed area and it was nice. The sun was shining and I had a great view of the Bay. The worst part of the experience was the service. The server was never there. When he did show up he stayed for 30 seconds and quickly disappeared. It was an early dinner, 6 PM, so it was not busy at all. When he served the entree, he never checked up on was everything. I wanted a glass of Chardonnay for dinner, but I could not order one until I was half way done with the entree because he never showed up!Special Features:
- Great time and amazing view!nktfoodsDined on 7/19/2014Had a lovely time for dinner here! Amazing view- service was amazing and my boyfriend and I both had the specials and they were delightful. Will come here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.