Water Coastal Kitchen
3411 West Cary Street
Richmond, VA 23221Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Water Coastal Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thewatergrill.com/
- Phone: 8043533411
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm; Lite Fare: Saturday & Sunday: 3:00pm - 5:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:00am-3:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Chef Eric Gross
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Water Coastal Kitchen is perfect for all party sizes, types and budgets. We have a private second floor bar area that is great for small cocktail parties, the private banquet room can accommodate up to 42 guests for a seated dinner or the entire second floor can accommodate parties as large as 100 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Meagan Hamlet 8886515670
- Entertainment: Monday Night is "Oyster Night". Tuesday Night is "Lobster Night". Sunday is "BOGO" night (buy one pound snow cab legs, get one free) Happy Hour features 1/2 priced Raw Bar 4 to 6 Monday-Friday
- Cross Street: Crenshaw
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a public parking deck on Crenshaw Street 30 feet from the Restaurant. Going down Cary street you will pass the restaurant on your right hand side then take your first left onto South Dooley, next left onto Elwood, final left onto South Crenshaw. Parking deck is half way down the block
A word from Water Coastal Kitchen
Located in the heart of Carytown, Water Coastal Kitchen is the newest restaurant of the Richmond Restaurant Group which operates some of Richmond’s best known restaurants The Hard Shell, The Hill Café, Delux Café and Lounge and Europa Italian Café and Tapas Bar. Water Coastal Kitchen Specializes in Fresh Local and Regional Seafood, Had Cut Steaks Chops and Ribs as well as a Full Raw Bar featuring Oysters, Clams, Mussels, Crab Legs, Shrimp and Lobster. Water Coastal Kitchen has a big city feel and beautiful décor with multiple levels of exposed brick, cozy fire place, private rooms, multiple bars, water features and one of Richmond best outdoor patios. Water Coastal Kitchen's private rooms can accommodate seated parties and cocktail parties from 10-100 people. Water Coastal Kitchen is only 5 minutes from downtown Richmond, has convenient parking and accepts reservations for parties of all sizes. Also, make your reservations online at www.thewatergrill.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Water Coastal Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Water Coastal Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (77)neighborhood gem (62)special occasion (59)fit for foodies (59)romantic (45)good for groups (34)great for lunch (25)notable wine list (20)great for brunch (19)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- not as good as beforebirthdayDined on 10/11/2014we had been there several times and loved it, this time the food was only average, the noise level was unbearable, would think again before returningSpecial Features:
- Dinner with FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/10/2014Water Coastal Kitchen has great, fresh foods. I enjoy their appetizers, salads and seafood!Special Features:
- Nice placeFoxdiningDined on 10/9/2014I will be returning for another visit soon! Great fresh seafood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Price Fixe Menu & cocktailscpaigehDined on 10/8/2014Food was delicious...Price fixe men was worth it and the cocktails were superb! Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Excellent experience...Rgl2Dined on 10/4/2014We've been to Water Coasral numerous times. It continues to be a stand by favorite with excellent food and service...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/3/2014Wonderful evening. We all had different fish and were pleased with the result.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great stuffed salmon dishTravelbugDined on 10/2/2014Loved the stuffed salmon - the portobello, tomato, pesto mixture made it one of the best salmon entrees that I have eaten. The grilled shrimp and even the pork chop was a hit but REALLY missed the fried oysters entrée. It is one of the reasons we go to the WCK. We hope it comes back soon. Also, we all had the mashed potatoes with our entrees and for all of us they were too salty. We will come again but hope to find fried oysters on the menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at a reasonable priceTravellerDined on 9/28/2014A Brunch menu with a wide variety of breakfast and lunch choices to include soup, salads and sandwiches. Plus the full range of breakfast selections. All at a reasonable price and good quality. Service was very good and attentiveSpecial Features:
- Water Costal KitchenMusicguyDined on 9/27/2014Good service, great attention by our waiter, our guests enjoyed the pork chop and salmon, however the shrimp and scallops dish was quite stingy 3 shrimp and 2 scallops. Would go there again but if your hungry get the pork chop or other entrée. Fried green tomatoes were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost Great MenurevdaveDined on 9/22/2014I pretty much rate this establishment as 4 going on five stars. Disclaimer, I've lived on all four borders of the continental US and when I said I wanted seafood, I had not defined that in my mind. My raw oyster days are over because of health issues I LOVE the Philly area "Mussels White" (Garlic, broth, garlic,wine, pepper flakes, fresh bread. I neither expected them or got them, the quantity was small but they were far fresher than anything I'd find in AZ in that price range. I guess what I was looking for and wanted was a smaller version of their sampler plate (and, at less cost.) I didn't ask. What happens to the bodies of the Dungeness crab? They offer legs only. Unlike Blue crabs, 1 Dungeness crab body will feed one, easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Great location!DiningoutDined on 9/14/2014Couldn't decide what to order ! Great Seafood choices! Other choices too but was interested in the Seafood! Lobster tail was deliciousSeered tuna was great! Mahi Mahi was delicious ! Perfect evening! Sat outside on deck! Celebrated 18th wedding anniversary! Was perfect!Special Features:
- Very good!klr4589Dined on 9/13/2014I ate here this past weekend after researching reviews (my boyfriend and I were meeting halfway in Richmond for the weekend). All in all, our experience was great! We were both happy with our meals and enjoyed cocktails at the bar following dinner. I personally recommend the crab & campanelle pasta! The sauce was out of this world. We will probably try something new next time we visit since we're not familiar with the city, but we'd definitely go back! Very nice place with modern accents and great food. Unique cocktails, too, which I love!Special Features:
- Nice seafood varietyclinewaltDined on 9/13/2014If you like seafood this is a great place...they have plenty of landlubber options too. Having lived in Maryland for many years, I'm hesitate to order crab cakes, but the appetizer crab cakes were delicious! A couple of our dishes were a bit over cooked but nothing worth sending back. The waitress was very friendly and helpful but unfortunately our initial drink order took quite a while to arrive. Richmond is blessed with many great restaurants...I would recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing and the price is right!chicarmoireDined on 9/10/2014WOW. We went for the Wednesday $21 menu and $18 wine. I had the fried green tomatoes with pimento cheese. The tomatoes were perfectly fried-not greasy, very crispy. Best pimento cheese I have ever had-it was creamy and nicely seasoned. The pairing was heavenly. I had the tuna entree. The tuna was nicely seared and cool in the middle, the way it should be. The key lime pie was very limey and refreshing. The portions were ample and I actually left stuffed. They don't skimp on portion size for this price. We ate on the patio and I wish that it wasn't so dark. It was hard to see the plates. At one point we used the flashlight on our phones. GO! Especially for the Wednesday special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always gooddcdinerVIPDined on 9/7/2014This is one of your favorite dining places. Fresh seafood, prepared to your liking, polite friendly servers, great management.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice moderately priced choiceNottooDined on 9/5/2014We all ordered seafood and had the sea food combo appetizer. I would not order crab legs again here-unimpressive and no better than those on a less expensive buffet. Scallops were excellent and the special--partial lobster tail with a crab cake wa very good. The crime brûlée was some of the best I have had. All in all a good choice-casual, comfortable, good food with good friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014First visit and we had a nice time. Service was superb. Food was not great but very good. Would try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend to anyonechachaDined on 9/3/2014THis was my second time in a month dining at Water Coastal. Different night of the week with a fabulous prix fixe menu (as well as the regular menu). My friend and I both ordered the prix fix. It was supurb...she crab soup, crab cakes with sides and dessert. Yummy. Drinks were very good. Service was a little slow, but they were busy.Special Features:
- Cary St. FindDrJBDined on 9/1/2014On a recent trip to Richmond where we were shooting a mini series, we ventured to Carytown to explore the quirky shops and $2 movie at the old time movie theater. The area is a bit kitchy, but fun, and where most of the restaurant choices are pretty pricey for what they offer, Water Coastal Kitchen had a great deal on their nigjhtly Grill special- Lobster Tail (sweet and tasty though a bit small), and choice of 2 sides all for $18! Add a glass of wine for about $7 or $8 and you can leave feeling satisfied. Pleasant ambience, and the bar was packed for Happy Hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Labor Day Dinerdinnerout99Dined on 9/1/2014My wife ordered Lobster tails and she told the waitress that they were cooked enough. I odored the Mahi Mahi and red roasted potatoes. Although the presentation of the food was good I thought the size of the portion of fish was too small. I would be willing to pay a few dollars more for a larger portion. I don't know if there is a standard portion size, but if I order fish I think that portion should be at least 8 oz.Special Features:
- Dinner with family5fordinnerDined on 8/31/2014Five of us went to dinner at Water Coastal Kitchen. We were seated immediately and the waiter was attentive without being intrusive. He was very helpful in our wine selection and was knowledgable about the menu. The food was delicious and the presentation beautiful. One of our appetizers was fried green tomatoes which was a huge hit. The two people who ordered the MahiMahi raved about it and everyone tasted the grits from the shrimp and grits and pronounced it excellent. We shared cheesecake and creme brulle - both again lovely presentation and yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- scalloploverDined on 8/31/2014We were excited to try out this restaurant, unfortunately we found it rather uninspiring. The service was mediocre at best, almost as if they were annoyed that we were there. We ate upstairs and the temperature was very hot and stuffy. The food was okay but nothing really that great. The 'flashed fried" calamari was deeply breaded and greasy. The scallops were chewy and the risotto was very gummy and bland. The special that another member of our party ordered was just okay but definitely not worth the price. I would not recommend this place.
- Great food, good midscale rest.craz4katsDined on 8/30/2014I really do love the food here - I get the same dish every time. Being a vegetarian, there's only a few choices, but their vegetarian trio is one of the best veg meals I've ever had - delicious every time. I will say that while the wait staff has always been adequate, they're not comparable to a more upscale restaurant. Dishes don't always get cleared between courses, you don't consistently get asked if you'd like dessert, sometimes I've just gotten blank looks at requests. I've also found it doesn't alway feel completely clean. Last time I went there was dried food on the menu and on the walls next to our table. I asked someone to wipe the walls, but they still didn't look completely clean. That said, I'd still go back and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food & atmosphereRichmondGirlDined on 8/29/2014We went with another couple, enjoyed sitting outside on the patio, attentive and friendly staff, good service, and delicious food. Everyone else enjoyed their seafood, and my petite fillet was cooked perfectly! We will go again soon!Special Features:
- Great place for outdoor diningLDubDined on 8/25/2014Water Coastal has consistently good food, good service, and a nice, large outdoor patio. They also have really good happy hour specials (food and drink) at the bar.Special Features:
- Great staff, disappointing foodkeyboardsDined on 8/23/2014The occasion was a dinner date. We sat outside and that part was great. The staff was quite attentive and adapted to the flow of our meal. It started to rain and they quickly got us to a table inside. The food was not up to the service. My date liked her meal overall. I had shrimp and grits. The grits were a total disappointment. Instead of being creamy and yummy, they were a solid mass that was stuck together in a lump that looked like it came from an ice cream scoop. As it was a date I chose not to make a fuss.Special Features:
- Wedding dinnerFoodie89Dined on 8/23/2014We wanted our wedding to be as simple as possible & Water Coastal was a great pick. We we're offered free champagne & our food was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New2RVADined on 8/22/2014New to Richmond. Great seafood- portions could be a little bigger. But, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014Never disappointed in the menu, the preparation, and the service. May cozy little spots here to enjoy a nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 21st Birthday DinnerYoYoDined on 8/21/2014We went there to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday. We mentioned this to the waitress, she wished her a "Happy Birthday," nothing else was done. Considering this was a Thursday night, it was not busy and it was a special occasion we thought the restaurant might have done something unique to mark the occasion - they did not. It would have been nice to know that the air conditioning was not working up to par - it was incredibly hot and humid in the restaurant was doesn't make for a pleasant dining experience. Food was excellent but the people skills and lack of a/c detracted from our special occasion. This was our fourth visit to the restaurant and we're finding it increasingly difficult to recommend the restaurant because of the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencervafoodieDined on 8/20/2014My sister and I went for dinner and it was amazing. The server and ambience were perfect. Thanks for a great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JamesKJamesKDined on 8/16/2014Dined again, this time with another couple who had never been to this restaurant before. We ate outside on the deck and what a nice evening to be there. Each of us had a different seafood selection and all dishes were even better than what had been expected after reading the menu description. Might be the best seafood restaurant in Richmond, Virginia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Atmosphere, Amazing foodTadCDined on 8/16/2014We were seated at a romantic spot with natural lighting, as well as with a candle on the table. The service was absolutely fantastic, and the food delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but very small portionsSamwiseDined on 8/15/2014I've been to water coastal kitchen many times now and the fresh fish is great! There's a little bit of everything on the menu, service is friendly, and the food is delicious. This trip however I was a little disappointed on the uncharacteristically tiny portions. All the fish filets and sides were slightly larger than bite size and, for the price and my past experiences, a bit disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wont go backreneeDined on 8/15/2014I have been here three times and this time was the final straw - the serve was awful!! The waitress had a huge chip on her shoulder and acted like it was beneath her to work there, the food took forever, when it arrived it was cold! very very disappointing. Really was looking forward to a nice eveing out.Special Features:
- Nice but food was underseasonedWorldTravelerDined on 8/13/2014My dish looked very pretty but it was very underseasoned. The rice didn't have any spices. I had to put salt and pepper on everything. It was also very overpriced. I got the salmon dish and normal price is around $12-15, not $20...I didn't like the butter for the bread - it was sweet. Otherwise, the atmosphere outside was very nice. But it was a gorgeous day, so maybe that's why.Special Features:
- Great food!gettingoutoftheburbsDined on 8/9/2014You know the meal will be good when you are ordering the special because you are excited about the vegetable! Two of the four us ordered the special of the night because it was accompanied by brussell sprouts cooked in bacon. It was delicious as was the swordfish. We all ordered seafood, and everything was delicious. It was reasonable priced for a restaurant that falls into the category of "fine dining." Next time I will request a table outside. This was my first time here and did not know they had outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time diningC2andCoDined on 8/9/2014Appetizers were excellent. Entree was good,except the combo platter from raw bar menu: it was not raw,all cooked,not much flavor but salted water,crab legs were too dry,but corn was excellent. Next time I will order from general menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A romantic eveningFlldinersVIPDined on 8/8/2014I arrived and had asked for a quiet table and my wish was granted. I was seated upstairs in the first booth overlooking the downstairs lobby and water feature. The raw oysters were awesome - I ordered the sampler and got to enjoy all three varieties. The entrees were filling and prepared as described. The dinner was delightful and I would highly recommend this establishment.Special Features:
- relaxed atmosphere, great foodchachaDined on 8/7/2014Overall, very good experience. We sat outside in the evening. Excellent drinks, some enjoyed the calamari and would recommend it. Lobster tail was perfect. NIce that they allow substitutions. Service was very good. Will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.