Water Coastal Kitchen
3411 West Cary Street
Richmond, VA 23221Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Water Coastal Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thewatergrill.com/
- Phone: (804) 353-3411
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm; Lite Fare: Saturday & Sunday: 3:00pm - 5:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:00am-3:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Chef Eric Gross
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Water Coastal Kitchen is perfect for all party sizes, types and budgets. We have a private second floor bar area that is great for small cocktail parties, the private banquet room can accommodate up to 42 guests for a seated dinner or the entire second floor can accommodate parties as large as 100 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Meagan Hamlet 8886515670
- Entertainment: Monday Night is "Oyster Night". Tuesday Night is "Lobster Night". Sunday is "BOGO" night (buy one pound snow cab legs, get one free) Happy Hour features 1/2 priced Raw Bar 4 to 6 Monday-Friday
- Cross Street: Crenshaw
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a public parking deck on Crenshaw Street 30 feet from the Restaurant. Going down Cary street you will pass the restaurant on your right hand side then take your first left onto South Dooley, next left onto Elwood, final left onto South Crenshaw. Parking deck is half way down the block
A word from Water Coastal Kitchen
Located in the heart of Carytown, Water Coastal Kitchen is the newest restaurant of the Richmond Restaurant Group which operates some of Richmond’s best known restaurants The Hard Shell, The Hill Café, Delux Café and Lounge and Europa Italian Café and Tapas Bar. Water Coastal Kitchen Specializes in Fresh Local and Regional Seafood, Had Cut Steaks Chops and Ribs as well as a Full Raw Bar featuring Oysters, Clams, Mussels, Crab Legs, Shrimp and Lobster. Water Coastal Kitchen has a big city feel and beautiful décor with multiple levels of exposed brick, cozy fire place, private rooms, multiple bars, water features and one of Richmond best outdoor patios. Water Coastal Kitchen's private rooms can accommodate seated parties and cocktail parties from 10-100 people. Water Coastal Kitchen is only 5 minutes from downtown Richmond, has convenient parking and accepts reservations for parties of all sizes. Also, make your reservations online at www.thewatergrill.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Water Coastal Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Water Coastal Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (71)fit for foodies (69)neighborhood gem (68)special occasion (61)romantic (50)good for groups (42)great for lunch (26)notable wine list (21)hot spot (17)great for brunch (15)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (5)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Excellent semi-casual dinnerrev123Dined on 11/8/2014Great place for a casual dinner with friends, not too stuffy, not too casual. Just right, great selections on the menu.Special Features:
- Great & ImaginatiaveDrVernDined on 11/7/2014We were seated for our 7 pm reservation immediately and were lucky enough to be seated on the porch area, so we had the fireplace and the view of Cary St. Our entrees were quite good (Shrimp & Grits; Seared Scallops) as was our appetizer (Fried Green Tomatoes). Those who say that the portions aren't big enough must have huge appetites. The wine list is a bit spendy and uninspired, but there is a reasonable bubbly option that works well for seafood. We had a lovely time. I could have done without the 80s music track, but it wasn't so loud that I couldn't talk.
- portlandDined on 11/5/2014Dining experience was quite nice....service was pleasant, food was excellent, Wednesday dinner special was a very good value, atmosphere was quiet (7:45PM weeknight dinner) and relaxing.Special Features:
- Hoped for betterB4theshowDined on 11/5/2014Ordered from the prix fixe. Salmon a bit over cooked, sauce on short ribs not quite special, garlic honey with chicken a bit odd. Could have used a more generous dollop of butter with the bread. Lighting was nice, decor pleasing. A bit noisy when all parties in the room tried to talk. Had we ordered wine we might have had more fun. Bottle special was tempting, but we couldn't indulge that night.
- Amazing service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2014Dinner was amazing, my braised short rib fell apart, so tender, and the mashed potatoes were the best I've had in a long time. Ambiance was great, we had a table in the enclosed-front area with a cozy fireplace. Service was so great I wish I remembered the name of the waiter to call and rave about him. Will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodGentlemanBDined on 11/1/2014Food and service were outstanding...prices were reasonable. Will definitely visit here often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyedJohnWDined on 10/27/2014We held a small business luncheon at Water Coastal. Price was reasonable, food was very, very good, service was excellent. We would definitely use this venue again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uninspiring foodTamaraDDined on 10/26/2014The service and atmosphere were great. The cocktails were good. Unfortunately the food was uninspiring. Good, but not great. At this type and level of restaurant I want great.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014Came in from out of town and dined here during Richmond Restaurant Week. Although it was busy even when we got there at 9, we were seated promptly and had excellent service. The VA oyster sampler was fresh and delicious, the crab cakes were some of the best I had and the fried green tomatoes were amazing as well. If I am back in Richmond I would go again to try out their main menu and see what else they have to offer!Special Features:
- Small Portion with hefty prices2blessedDined on 10/25/2014The food has a good flavor and taste however it wasn't enough food for the price.Special Features:
- FantasticLoveAmiciDined on 10/24/2014Food was fantastic. Best bread pudding in town. Loved the shrimp and grits too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a winnerLisalandDined on 10/24/2014I got my reservation mixed up and made it for Saturday night instead of Friday night. I had out of town guests and it was Richmond Restaurant Week, however the staff accomodated us and made sure we had a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinner date1rvafoodieDined on 10/24/2014Whether a night out with friends or significant other Water Coastal offers a great atmosphere for a wonderful evening. The food was simple with great flavorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad experience, not bad restaurantKatinVADined on 10/24/2014I've eaten here before for brunch...and it was amazing. Visited last week for lunch with co-workers. Decided to go with the lunch special (fried chicken sandwich) and it was awful. Chicken was over-done. Bread was too toasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ParisRevisitDined on 10/23/2014We enjoyed our dinner. The service was not as good as the food. The service was harried as it was Restaurant week.Special Features:
- very disappointedchachaDined on 10/22/2014I had been to Water Coastal twice for dinner in the last couple of months, and it was a fantastic overall experience. Food was great, staff friendly, accommdating, etc. So I recommended it for lunch to an old friend. Well, what a disappointment. While the service was good, the food was well below par. The she crab soup had so little crab, my friend said "well, I think the crab walked through it". I ordered the smoked salmon on bagel. The amount of salmon on each side of the bagel was a sliver. It was the amount you might place on a cracker. I would never recommend Water Coastal for lunch.
- MollyDined on 10/21/2014it probably would have been a lot better had I had better company. I would have been better company had I had better company! The food was very good though the fish had a little too much breading for m y taste. Great restaurant. Will do well!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun eveningLovegoodfoodDined on 10/21/2014My husband and I typically try a couple of different restaurants that we've been meaning to get to during restaurant week. Water Coastal Kitchen is one we'll definitely be going back to. They not only had their restaurant week menu, but they had their regular menu as well, plus their Tues night lobster night menu! So much to choose from and the kitchen was definitely up to the challenge. Our waitress was friendly and efficient and kept an eye on us without being obtrusive. It got a little loud as it got later and the noise level was a bit past "energetic," but that didn't detract from the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Water Coastal was deceptively yummyDrivingFromSouthsideDined on 10/21/2014Tucke.d into a row of houses, restaurants, and shops, Water Coastal stood out as a gem. Richmond Restaurant Week brought a group there and they did not disappoint. They were ready for our reservation, courteous as drinks were finished at the bar, and then there was the food...Our table enjoyed the buttermilf fried chicken (exquisite), the crab cakes, and the scallop and shrimp risotto. We were all very pleased and would go back to Water Coastal again.Special Features:
- Nice restaurantluv2winendineDined on 10/21/2014Really liked the restaurant's ambience. The food was good, but it wasn't hot by the time it got to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good as beforebirthdayDined on 10/11/2014we had been there several times and loved it, this time the food was only average, the noise level was unbearable, would think again before returningSpecial Features:
- Dinner with FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/10/2014Water Coastal Kitchen has great, fresh foods. I enjoy their appetizers, salads and seafood!Special Features:
- Nice placeFoxdiningDined on 10/9/2014I will be returning for another visit soon! Great fresh seafood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Price Fixe Menu & cocktailscpaigehDined on 10/8/2014Food was delicious...Price fixe men was worth it and the cocktails were superb! Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Excellent experience...Rgl2Dined on 10/4/2014We've been to Water Coasral numerous times. It continues to be a stand by favorite with excellent food and service...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/3/2014Wonderful evening. We all had different fish and were pleased with the result.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great stuffed salmon dishTravelbugDined on 10/2/2014Loved the stuffed salmon - the portobello, tomato, pesto mixture made it one of the best salmon entrees that I have eaten. The grilled shrimp and even the pork chop was a hit but REALLY missed the fried oysters entrée. It is one of the reasons we go to the WCK. We hope it comes back soon. Also, we all had the mashed potatoes with our entrees and for all of us they were too salty. We will come again but hope to find fried oysters on the menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at a reasonable priceTravellerDined on 9/28/2014A Brunch menu with a wide variety of breakfast and lunch choices to include soup, salads and sandwiches. Plus the full range of breakfast selections. All at a reasonable price and good quality. Service was very good and attentiveSpecial Features:
- Water Costal KitchenMusicguyDined on 9/27/2014Good service, great attention by our waiter, our guests enjoyed the pork chop and salmon, however the shrimp and scallops dish was quite stingy 3 shrimp and 2 scallops. Would go there again but if your hungry get the pork chop or other entrée. Fried green tomatoes were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost Great MenurevdaveDined on 9/22/2014I pretty much rate this establishment as 4 going on five stars. Disclaimer, I've lived on all four borders of the continental US and when I said I wanted seafood, I had not defined that in my mind. My raw oyster days are over because of health issues I LOVE the Philly area "Mussels White" (Garlic, broth, garlic,wine, pepper flakes, fresh bread. I neither expected them or got them, the quantity was small but they were far fresher than anything I'd find in AZ in that price range. I guess what I was looking for and wanted was a smaller version of their sampler plate (and, at less cost.) I didn't ask. What happens to the bodies of the Dungeness crab? They offer legs only. Unlike Blue crabs, 1 Dungeness crab body will feed one, easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Great location!DiningoutDined on 9/14/2014Couldn't decide what to order ! Great Seafood choices! Other choices too but was interested in the Seafood! Lobster tail was deliciousSeered tuna was great! Mahi Mahi was delicious ! Perfect evening! Sat outside on deck! Celebrated 18th wedding anniversary! Was perfect!Special Features:
- Very good!klr4589Dined on 9/13/2014I ate here this past weekend after researching reviews (my boyfriend and I were meeting halfway in Richmond for the weekend). All in all, our experience was great! We were both happy with our meals and enjoyed cocktails at the bar following dinner. I personally recommend the crab & campanelle pasta! The sauce was out of this world. We will probably try something new next time we visit since we're not familiar with the city, but we'd definitely go back! Very nice place with modern accents and great food. Unique cocktails, too, which I love!Special Features:
- Nice seafood varietyclinewaltDined on 9/13/2014If you like seafood this is a great place...they have plenty of landlubber options too. Having lived in Maryland for many years, I'm hesitate to order crab cakes, but the appetizer crab cakes were delicious! A couple of our dishes were a bit over cooked but nothing worth sending back. The waitress was very friendly and helpful but unfortunately our initial drink order took quite a while to arrive. Richmond is blessed with many great restaurants...I would recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing and the price is right!chicarmoireDined on 9/10/2014WOW. We went for the Wednesday $21 menu and $18 wine. I had the fried green tomatoes with pimento cheese. The tomatoes were perfectly fried-not greasy, very crispy. Best pimento cheese I have ever had-it was creamy and nicely seasoned. The pairing was heavenly. I had the tuna entree. The tuna was nicely seared and cool in the middle, the way it should be. The key lime pie was very limey and refreshing. The portions were ample and I actually left stuffed. They don't skimp on portion size for this price. We ate on the patio and I wish that it wasn't so dark. It was hard to see the plates. At one point we used the flashlight on our phones. GO! Especially for the Wednesday special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always gooddcdinerVIPDined on 9/7/2014This is one of your favorite dining places. Fresh seafood, prepared to your liking, polite friendly servers, great management.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice moderately priced choiceNottooDined on 9/5/2014We all ordered seafood and had the sea food combo appetizer. I would not order crab legs again here-unimpressive and no better than those on a less expensive buffet. Scallops were excellent and the special--partial lobster tail with a crab cake wa very good. The crime brûlée was some of the best I have had. All in all a good choice-casual, comfortable, good food with good friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014First visit and we had a nice time. Service was superb. Food was not great but very good. Would try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend to anyonechachaDined on 9/3/2014THis was my second time in a month dining at Water Coastal. Different night of the week with a fabulous prix fixe menu (as well as the regular menu). My friend and I both ordered the prix fix. It was supurb...she crab soup, crab cakes with sides and dessert. Yummy. Drinks were very good. Service was a little slow, but they were busy.Special Features:
- Cary St. FindDrJBDined on 9/1/2014On a recent trip to Richmond where we were shooting a mini series, we ventured to Carytown to explore the quirky shops and $2 movie at the old time movie theater. The area is a bit kitchy, but fun, and where most of the restaurant choices are pretty pricey for what they offer, Water Coastal Kitchen had a great deal on their nigjhtly Grill special- Lobster Tail (sweet and tasty though a bit small), and choice of 2 sides all for $18! Add a glass of wine for about $7 or $8 and you can leave feeling satisfied. Pleasant ambience, and the bar was packed for Happy Hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Labor Day Dinerdinnerout99Dined on 9/1/2014My wife ordered Lobster tails and she told the waitress that they were cooked enough. I odored the Mahi Mahi and red roasted potatoes. Although the presentation of the food was good I thought the size of the portion of fish was too small. I would be willing to pay a few dollars more for a larger portion. I don't know if there is a standard portion size, but if I order fish I think that portion should be at least 8 oz.Special Features: