The Water Club
The East River between 28th Street and 32nd Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Water Club
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thewaterclub.com/
- Phone: 2126833333x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation: Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
PLEASE CALL FOR NEW YEAR'S EVE RESERVATIONS!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Aaron Bashy
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live piano music Thursday- Saturday, 7:00pm - 11:00pm and Sunday Brunch, 1:00pm -5:00pm
- Special Events: Events at The Water Club are always memorable. From beautiful weddings to business functions, The Water Club is the perfect place to host your next special event, private dinner or cocktail party.
three elegantly appointed dining rooms
two open air terraces
sweeping river views
wonderful classic American cuisine
live piano music
- Cross Street: a 23rd Street and FDR Drive, just north of Waterside Plaza and south of 3
- Public Transit: 6 Train to 33rd Street. Walk across 34th Street to the East River (15-20 minutes) Walk South along the river to about 30th St. Pass the heliport and past the parking lot.
Or take the M34 crosstown bus to the last stop at the east river. Walk South along the river to the restaurant.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet service is available on site in our private lot.
A word from The Water Club
The Water Club is now reopen after our recovery from Hurricane Sandy. The Water Club offers classic American cuisine of the highest caliber, specializing in seafood and breathtaking views of Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan and the East River Bridges. PLEASE CALL FOR NEW YEAR'S EVE RESERVATIONS!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Water Club - Best Restaurants in Murray Hill ›
The Water Club reviews from OpenTable diners
240 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (209)special occasion (185)romantic (177)fit for foodies (70)good for groups (57)notable wine list (57)great for outdoor dining (43)great for brunch (37)neighborhood gem (36)late-night find (21)great for lunch (20)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (11)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Very romanticWes70Dined on 9/27/2014Went for our 2 year anniversary. Very good choice. the quantity and quality of food was above expectedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with a viewIntrepidtooDined on 9/27/2014Great location for a bunch or lunch on a sunny day; whilst the food isn't bad, and the service is good the view is what this place is all about, that and its nautical theme. Although tucked away under FDR, its close to the East River Ferry making it a great location to combine with sight seeing.Special Features:
- The Water ClubOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Great food. Outstanding service. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- A Classic in need of a Refresher!TheGourmetVIPDined on 9/26/2014This is not your leading edge restaurant. The beautiful view cannot compensate for certain shortcomings in the food department. I list dishes in downwards rating order: Dover Sole: 4* (Very fresh as promised, interesting tomato caper "sauce", but I would try to improve on this) Beef Wellington: 4* (Appetizer, well executed however the accompanying sauce was loveless blobbed on the side, and the watercress was just thrown onto the plate) Crispy Duck: 4* (Again well executed, yet it was still a very 60ish style) Tuna Tartar: 3* (Appetizer: Tuna was probably about one day older than it should have been, dressing basically non existing) Banana flambé: 1* (Table side preparation - a flop, burnt sugar, burnt butter, oranges not applied)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DarcyDined on 9/25/2014Superb food and service - shouldn't be just for special occassions - we find many Manhattan friends think of it only for that reason.Special Features:
- Romantic dinner, special occasionJimmypena23Dined on 9/20/2014If you are looking to have a romantic dinner night or a special occasion then this is the place great food, great service. Had my wife feel like she was very special that night. I'm pretty sure your experience will be similar too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatKkzz3VIPDined on 9/20/2014We really enjoyed everything!! The food, service and view were all amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no complaintsAlanDined on 9/13/2014Great service even after arriving 20 minutes late for reservation. Food is amazing. ambiance is very romantic especially if you have a window seat. Calamari is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come for the viewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014This place is like any typical New York spot with a great view -- your money is going towards the view and the wine, not the food. The food is very average, and I would suggest somewhere else if you want good food. It's good enough here, but not for the price. The view and wine list is spectacular.Special Features:
- again a wonderful nightOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/11/2014Our third visit in as many weeks was again a lovely experience...From the warm greeting from the captain to the excellent food (great lobster!) and the impeccable service from the waiters, runners and bussers...(what hard working guys) everything was wonderful..Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Beautiful ViewsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014If you want to dine looking out over the East River, experience excellent service and delectable food, then this is your place! My sister and I visited New York for days of plays and shopping and decided to have one night out for a special dinner and someone recommended this to us. I am very glad we chose The Water Club. The service was truly outstanding, the ambience perfect, and the food was delicious. I cook amazing salmon dishes, but this was the best salmon I have ever had. Bon' appetite!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy restaurantmitsuVIPDined on 9/5/2014I always enjoy the superb service and personal attention I receive from the very friendly staff. i recommend this for any occasion.Special Features:
- another wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/4/2014we decided to go back after the wonderful time we had the previous week...we weren't disappointed...from the manager to the exceptional host/waitress to the food and the rest of the staff (bussera and runners) we had another lovely evening...thank you again...Special Features:
- Good Service04570457Dined on 9/3/2014It was my birthday. We were welcomed by the MD and even surprised with an after dinner drink for birthday celebration. Food was not as good as we expected. Probably what we ordered, the duck was a little to rear. Everything else was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticMaxOperaDined on 9/2/2014I went there for a birthday and everything was perfect: the view, the table, the waiters singing Happy Birthday. The food was one star short of memorable, at least seen from the point of view of discriminate reviewers, but very good. Ask for a table facing the water if you want to enhance the experience.Special Features:
- Great experience!HPerezDined on 8/31/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday here and the service was amazing. I don't get to say that a lot but this place is truly a gem. The food was great. Everything was fresh. This place is simply PERFECT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversaryAmazingPlaceVIPDined on 8/31/2014For our anniversary we had dinner at the Water Club. From the valet service to the dining experience the evening was outstanding. The food was great and the view was perfect. At the beginning of the dessert course they congratulated us on our anniversary which was very nice. All in all it was a very special evening that we will not forget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A beautiful resturant by seaHeavenVIPDined on 8/31/2014This resturant is really distinguished by its location and it's interior design is very romantic. An excellent place for any kind of annyversary, birthday, and other special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with the GrandparentsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014I had dinner with my daughter and my parents. It was very scenic. We did enjoy the water view and all the boats passing by. Our server was attentive. We had the sole and tile fish entrees. I had the roasted chicken. Everything was very good and tasty. We shall remember that evening for a long time.Special Features:
- A lovely 5th Wedding AnniversaryCharliePepperUKDined on 8/30/2014We visited the Water Club for our wedding anniversary. It was our first time in NYC so we checked the ratings for the restaurant and booked in advance of our trip. We were not disappointed. The setting was lovely, the service excellent, and the food equally superb, especially the Fillet Mignon, which I had. All in all it was a lovely evening, not at all overly expensive and we would be happy to recommend to visitors to NYC and may come back ourselves one day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I enjoyed having dinner at the Waterclub and would definitely recommend it to a friend. Our waitress was very engaged and offered excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014Ambiance,food & service excellent. Have already recommended it to family & friends.Special Features:
- Swimmingly GoodNYCDinerDined on 8/29/2014Spectacular in everyway! The Water Club brings the best together for an unforgettable, magical experience. The service was impeccable from the moment I was seated to the moment I left. I had the artichoke appetizer and it came complete with half a lemon covered so that only the fine juice came out when squeezed. It is this attention to detail that puts The Water Club ahead of competitors. I am a vegetarian, and requested that the chef make me a special vegetarian entrée of his own design. It was well crafted, beautifully presented, and most of all, incredibly delicious. The chef, Aaron Bashy, even made a table side appearance and chatted for a few minutes! A dazzling restaurant for any occasion, including a quite night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a lovely return!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/28/2014We haven't been to the water club in years, after a couple of unmemorable meals and not quite attentive service...WHat a great surprise to come back again...From the moment we walked in, we sensed a change...The captain couldn't have been more accommodating and from the food, to the wonderful waiter and all the staff (busser and runners also!) we fell back in love with the Water Club...The food was again memorable and the service was top notch...Thank you for a lovely evening to the end of another summer...and we most certainly will return..!Special Features:
- MiksterDined on 8/24/2014We had drinks on the rooftop Crow's next and had some appetizers....loved the whole thing and will be back!Special Features:
- Only a good viewopentable12345Dined on 8/23/2014Pros: View of the water; fairly old school romantic ambience Cons: The food wasn't bad, but very mediocre for a restaurant like that. When we went for brunch, there was only one other party there. The environment is stuffy and overly formal. It is a shame we won't be back because location right on the water is great.Special Features:
- There was no reservation - arrivedHotCoupleDined on 8/22/2014The host did not have our reservation. Fortunately there weren't too many people dining so we easily got seated. We were served by three different people. The second waiter, didn't admit he hadn't tasted the dish but tried to steer us instead to a dish he already knew. The third waiter was fine. The pianist was great. We enjoyed the view, it was all very lovely and we would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarrieOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014It was truly a magical place to spend a special evening. I have lived in New York for my entire life, always passing this restaurant but thinking it was more of a tourist trap. I was pleasantly surprised and delighted with our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tough meatThebulletDined on 8/20/2014Two of us ordered the pork chop. The meat was tough. Maître d was told and he apologized and offered to reduce the bar tab. Very nice thing to do however another server came over And suggested we eat from the other side of the chop. But the place is beautiful and the scones are incredibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverblownTheJETDined on 8/19/2014Ambience lovely but that's all. Food way overpriced and very mediocre. Advertised 1 1/4 lb lobsters but at 7pm were already out of them. Told waiter about food allergy but he paid no attention, then took forever to replace the dish. Ignored the allergy on other dishes even after that. Waiters pompous and obsequious but didn't do the simple, important things. Overall, very disappointing. Will not return.
- Picture Perfect EveningSuZQDined on 8/17/2014Chose to take my special someone to The Water Club as it was her birthday & I wanted to impress. We started with a drink at the bar, she liked that we were able to sit on the couch nearby. The host seated us at the best table in the house - we got to sit side by side with a direct view of The East River. The view became even more breathtaking as the sun set. We started with Caviar, Foie Gras, and a bottle of Pinot Noir, all very good. For dinner I enjoyed the Duck Breast & she Lobster Thermidor. Our waiter brought us a piece of chocolate cake & two glasses of Château Laribotte, Sauternes on the house to celebrate my lady's birthday; we sung Happy Birthday to her. The service was excellent; I hope to bring her back again soon.Special Features:
- Bliss29Dined on 8/17/2014We were seated right by the water and it felt as if the restaurant was moving. We loved the whole experience. Our thanks to The Water Club staff for making our friend's birthday memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still is one of New York's finest.JerryBDined on 8/16/2014We have not been there for quite some time, since I retired and lost my best friend "my expense account". It is still expensive and worth every penny. We were eight people and the service could not have been better. The food and wine selection are impressive and the personal attention from the management is noteworthy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- customer service is greatmariaDined on 8/15/2014Love the piano man and his music. Best moscato ever..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View and seafoodLuvgoodfoodDined on 8/15/2014We arrived early for our reservation so we sat at the bar. The bartender was friendly and we enjoyed the piano player. The shrimp cocktail was a great way to begin our night. When we went into the dining the gracious host seated us at a waterside table with a spectacular view. Everything was wonderful and we enjoyed a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ViewFoodloverDined on 8/15/2014Went for Restaurant Week Dinner. The food is very good and up to our expectations. The staff are nice and friendly. The restaurant is located by the waterfront with fantastic view. It is highly recommended for special and/or romantic occasion.Special Features:
- Overpriced and AverageRobertDined on 8/15/2014Beautiful view, but expensive, average food. Incredibly disappointing. I can't figure out why its so highly rated.
- Romantic and elegantmaz100Dined on 8/15/2014Lovely restaurant on a boat. The view is very pretty day or night. Food was delicious and service was great! Would come back here again on a special occasion with my boyfriend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Water Club - Water ViewLovetodineoutVIPDined on 8/14/2014We went to the Water Club for a special occasion during NYC restaurant week. I'm glad we did. The restaurant was very attractive. It was larger than I expected. It was a great day and the views were wonderful. The peach salad and chowder soups were great. The scallop and artichoke dinners were delicious. The restaurant recommended a taxi since it isn't easy getting there by foot. We took a taxi there but the restaurant attendants couldn't easily get a taxi when we left. We had to walk a few blocks and then we were lucky to hail a cab on 34th street.Special Features:
- bean0906Dined on 8/14/2014Food and service was outstanding! Beautful setting for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.