The Washington House
136 North Main Street
Sellersville, PA 18960Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Washington House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.washingtonhouse.net/
- Phone: 215-257-3000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Bar: Monday - Thursday: to 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: to 12:00pm, Sunday: to 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Loeffler
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call Cyndi Dietterich at 215-257-3000 x207 or see website "Private Parties" for menus and details.
- Private Party Facilities: Intimate private rooms beautifully restored in the original farmhouse are available for groups between 8 and 60. Menus can be customized for your group depending on your size and needs. Please call to make arrangements.
- Private Party Contact: Cyndi Dietterich 215-257-3000 x207
- Entertainment: Sitting right beside The Washington House Restaurant is the beautifully renovated Sellersville Theater 1894. A vital stop on the East Coast concert circuit, this intimate, welcoming listening room presents an ambitious, eclectic mix of top name artists and hot new talent year round. The theater is renowned for its sound quality and the up-close feel of the shows. Together, the restaurant and theater offer an exciting entertainment destination mixing big city talent and small town charm.
- Special Events: Bluegrass Jam in the bar 1st & 3rd Tues of the month; Jazz Jam in the bar last Tues of the month. Freestyle Flights Of Wine 4th Fri of the month. Beer Tastings 1st Fri of the month. Plus wine tasting dinners and other special events. See website for details.
A word from The Washington House
The seven story tower of The Washington House Restaurant has been a landmark for over 100 years in the town of Sellersville, Bucks County, PA. Today it continues to represent warm hospitality and convivial good times. Rescued and lovingly restored in the 1980s by proprietors William Quigley and Elayne Brick, the restaurant is well known for its thoughtful service and inventive American cuisine. With four intimate dining rooms, a pre-prohibition period bar and a patio for fair weather months, it offers a romantic atmosphere of relaxed elegance. Patrons especially enjoy the carefully chosen wine and beer lists and a year round calendar of events including beer and wine tastings, specialty food nights, holiday events and seasonal menus.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Washington House - Best Restaurants in Sellersville ›
The Washington House reviews from OpenTable diners
181 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (114)great for outdoor dining (101)special occasion (99)fit for foodies (66)romantic (65)great for lunch (51)good for groups (36)great for brunch (34)notable wine list (28)late-night find (18)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (13)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (5)Show More
- Nice place to dine outdoors!dawn26Dined on 8/8/2014Great drinks and a good meal! Loved the outside seating! The Washington House is a nice place to eat before a show at the Sellersville Theater. The service was excellent, as well! We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- stubsDined on 8/6/2014Always a great place, never dissappointed. Has history and charm.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerprestoperfectDined on 8/5/2014Everything about our experience was terrific. We were greeted by warm friendly smiles everywhere. We were offered a free appetizer, fried oysters, which my wife loved. Our entrées were top notch. To top it all off the bill at the end was friendly as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhere In TimebucksdinerDined on 8/5/2014Walking into the Washington House is like stepping into the Victorian era with the dark flocked wallpaper and oil lamps that have been changed over to electric. I much prefer this look than dining in some sterile, pre-fab, modernized, plastic environment. The service was perfect and we were each offered a glass of complimentary champagne as we were celebrating our anniversary. The menu was just the right size and the macaroni & cheese appetizer was delicious as was the salad. I had the Bangers & Mash and for the first time in the states found what I have been searching for since visiting England. They were perfect. The strawberry & rhubarb crisp for dessert was also equally delicious. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner before the show!pbockDined on 8/3/2014We were visiting Sellersville to see a concert next door at the Sellersville Theater and wanted a nice place to eat beforehand. The Washington House was perfect. The food and service was excellent. The restaurant itself is in a large historic house adding great charm and character to the ambience. We will be returning next time we travel there to see a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence in DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014This was our second visit to the Washington House. Many more will follow! The food was outstanding and our server excellent. We were attending a concert at the Sellersville Theater which was right next door. Parking was convenient to both events.Special Features:
- Great before Sellersville TheaterMomDEDined on 7/31/2014We had tickets to a concert next door so this restaurant was convenient for dining before the show. the food was fabulous! The soup special was amazing: pea soup with lump crabmeat, which had plenty of sweet crabmeat. The salad special, raspberry and asparagus on mixed greens was refreshing and zesty! Our entrees of filet mignon and shrimp wrapped in bacon were beautifully displayed as well as delicious! I would definitely recommend this restaurant with the only downside being the noise level. Somehow the acoustics in the back with about 8 other tables, are such that regular conversation noise is elevated, so it is hard to hear the other person at your own table. Other than that, the entire dining experience was a positive memory.Special Features:
- Love it every time.ZubeDined on 7/29/2014This was our third visit to the Washington House. Always very tasty! Friendly staff, clean and a beautiful old building! We only seem to come before seeing a show at the theater, but my husband and I have both said we need to make this a more frequent stop for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Always a delicious surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014I hate duck but I LOVE the corn & duck confit w sour cherry goat cheese appetizer. What a wonderful blend of flavors. Each time we go to the Washington House I tell myself I will order two corn & duck confit appetizers and just have them for my dinner. Each time I go, I find something new to try. I am now also hooked on the phyllo & spinach wrapped salmon. The salmon is so fresh. Never a fishy taste like other restaurant salmon dishes. The only other restaurant salmon dish I like is at a restaurant in Bristol, UK. If I lived closer, I would eat these two dishes every week.Special Features:
- A local favorite!NikkiDined on 7/27/2014Great food, good service, the staff is very friendly and polite. It's clean and inviting, not too noisy either. Yummy calamari!!Special Features:
- Outstanding first visitTeemeDined on 7/26/2014Decided to have dinner here before a show at the ST. Waitress was a genuine delight with an excellent sense of timing. She brought our shared salad already divided. My partner had the rosemary chicken and raved about it (and the gnocchi that came with) for two days. My trout was crispy moist. Entrees are sized nicely so you have room for dessert -- (they were also excellent!). Only downside is it was a bit dark - a bit more light to enjoy the presentation would be nice. Will be back!Special Features:
- Really great meal!datenightdiner2Dined on 7/25/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at The Washington House. We made our reservation after 8pm and almost had our dining area to ourselves (most diners had left for the show at the Sellersville Theater or were dining outside). Our server, Kelly, was very knowledgable about the wine list and her menu recommendations were perfect. We will definitely keep this place on our list of regular date night spots.Special Features:
- NoisyknightfallDined on 7/25/2014The sound level in the dining room inhibited normal conversation. One had to speak loudly to be heard which contributed to the overall sound level. Would not recommend for intimate dining.Special Features:
- 50th Anniversay CelebrationHappy2EatDined on 7/20/2014Our family celebrated our parents' 50th wedding anniversary at the Washington House on Sunday, July 20. There were teenagers and a 10 year old in our party and everyone was happy with menu selection, wonderful food, and superb service! It was my first time visiting, and I would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- a great experiencedocchristmasDined on 7/19/2014Dining at The Washington House for the first time was a great experience. Everything was exceptional. The food was tasty, portions were perfect, service was prompt and attentive even with a large crowd. You get a fantastic meal for the right price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Place To VisitCharliefromPhillyDined on 7/18/2014Went here before a concert and it was great. Food was good, service was great, overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Our lunch at The Washington House was great - as always. The food and ambiance are always wonderful, and we totally enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:
- Food, service were both excellentCrackTheSkyDined on 7/13/2014First time we ever dined there; it was before a show at the Sellersville Theatre next door. We had reservations and were seated immediately. Servers were attentive without being obtrusive. Food was great. Prices are above average, but then you get what you pay for. We will definitely dine there again before the next show we go to, and we go to a lot of shows there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply GreatJLishDined on 7/13/2014This is my 6th experience at the Washington House and it hits a home run every time. The atmosphere, food, drinks, and staff are all terrific. Right next door to the Sellersville Theater makes it an even greater place. I just wished I lived a little closer as I would frequent the Washington House more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "First date"JBasilDined on 7/13/2014I come here often for drinks and then off to a show at the Theatre. This time I came for brunch on a Sunday afternoon. I made reservations for noon on line, requesting a cozy booth. The atmosphere in this restaurant is romantic wherever you sit, but the booth we were given will now be my favorite place to eat. Brunch at noon lasted till 4:30 for us and the wait staff could not have been more accommodating. Thanks so much to Hayley who took care of us that day and for helping make this day memorable.Special Features:
- Great date nightElCIDDined on 7/12/2014We had a wonderful meal. The highlight of the meal for me was the corn and duck fritters. The were amazing, and the sour cherry sauce was perfect with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014Dinner before show. Was very nice that we were seated promptly and asked if we had tickets, to insure we were done in time. Very good food. Staff very friendly. Great prices. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- okpookie58Dined on 7/11/2014my husbands meal was great but I did not like my meatballs..dry and grainySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cozy and elegantmattnlynnDined on 7/11/2014we had a wonderful experience the servers were very friendly and helpful in explaining the wide variety of dishes on the menu and the food was excellent beautiful presentation and the use of all the many herbs and spices made for a very flavorful meal also the variety of your craft beer and fine wines mad it hard to choose where to start would highly recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fa-nominal!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Would have liked to see a couple more selections on the menuSpecial Features:
- Fine dining easily nearbynjanehairDined on 7/1/2014Great fine dining restaurant I forget is nearby. My husband has a restrictive diet but there were several interesting options to make the dining experience fun for him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer Menu?tastebuds1Dined on 6/30/2014The staff at The Washington House is well trained, polite and attentive. The ambiance is quaint and inviting. However, the summer menu does not take advantage of fresh ideas or seasonal local produce. Healthy eating and an international flair combined with a few American favorites (a great burger, a sauteed chicken dish and a broiled fish) would round out the menu. This restaurant has great potential given its location and history. We hope The Washington House considers investing in a menu make-over. We'd love to invite our foodie friends to this place.Special Features:
- Before the showmjspausaDined on 6/28/2014The Washington House is right next door to the Sellersville Theatre and whenever we take in a show we have dinner here first. We've always had great food and service. If it was closer to where we live, we'd eat here much more often. Consistently delicious!Special Features:
- Very organizedDateNight02Dined on 6/28/2014I made our reservation online with no problem. Since we were seeing a show after dinner, I made sure to book our dinner well ahead of the start time. We were seated in a timely manner and our food arrived hot and without delay. Our server was super nice and besides the two large parties of guests in the dining room, it was nice and comfy. My husband had a hard time deciding on what beer to drink, as the specialty beer list was pretty long. I'd definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night outTurtleDined on 6/26/2014Lovely place to go coupled with a great show at the theater next door!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to go before a concert.SellersvilleDined on 6/22/2014Quiet, and has a nice outdoor seating area. But you should make a reservation if going before a concert. Food and service are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonymousSueKDined on 6/21/2014The food has not been up to par lately. One person's fries were cold and the food the time before was overloaded with/in lemon.Special Features:
- Soup is amazingValmusicDined on 6/20/2014I've been at The Washington House four times now. Three meals were simply okay, but the last visit was amazing. I tried the split pea with crab soup...fantastic. The fish special that night was Halibut....perfection. One of the best meals I have had anywhere in a very long time. I hope the special continue to be this wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FretlessDined on 6/20/2014Beautiful setting, Friendly, knowledgeable, wait staff. A real gem wth great food prepared and served with excellently. Iwould give ita 5 stsr ratingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly ServiceFromCLEDined on 6/19/2014I had to wait for the rest of my party to show up so I sat in the bar. Nice old bar, great service and interesting beers Once my group showed up we were immediately taken to our table. Again service was good and the food was very good. I would go again and invite friends or customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- convenient to Sellersville theaterrmctDined on 6/19/2014The WH is a convenient spot for dining b/f you go to a show at the ST. They make sure you get served on time. The food is good, but really more expensive than it should be for the portion sizes. My husband's chicken was sized like a Cornish hen breast, and didn't even include a leg. My hamburger was OK, but only included potato chips rather than ff for $9.
- A Wonderful Place to DineVERYPICKYDined on 6/15/2014The Washinton House has become a favorite. It offers very good food moderately priced and great ambience. The bar is long old fashioned and wonderful and perfect for a relaxed dining experience. The dining areas are very nice for more formal dining. Sellersville has a gem!!!Special Features:
- Never again!AnonymousDined on 6/15/2014The atmosphere was very nice - a mere cover-up to a disastrous evening. The server was friendly and nice but sloooowww. Couldn't understand that when it wasn't overly crowded. Not sure what the reason was for our HOUR-long wait to eat - got there at 6pm - ate AFTER 7pm - unacceptable. Our kids got restless because they were hungry but at least the server gave them a basket of small toys to play with and take home. That was the highlight. When we finally got our food, we may as well have gone to McDonalds. Our kids' burgers were overcooked nasty-tasting balls. Husband's Father's Day dinner, a burger as well, was tasteless. And my meal was on the small side but at least decent enough. I had to go looking for our server twice. Poor.Special Features:
- Fathers Day 2014SellersvilleDined on 6/15/2014Reservations for a party of four at 6pm pre-concert at the Sellersville Theatre. One would think 1 1/2 hours would be sufficient for casual dining, guess again. The food hit the table at 1 hr 15 minutes. The apology was "we got busy". A very disappointing experience. I have dined at the Washington House on many occasions with an overall decent experience.Special Features:
- ConsistentFelicificDined on 6/15/2014Never disappointed. Travel an hour and a half to come here and then walk over to Sellersville Theater for a great concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.