The Vintage Steakhouse
26701-B Verdugo Street
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675Neighborhood:
San Juan Capistrano
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
The Vintage Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thevintagesteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 949-661-3400
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 8:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - Close; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Byron Gemmell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz music Friday and Saturday Evenings.
A word from The Vintage Steakhouse
The Vintage Steakhouse features Classic American Cuisine with a twist: Creative and imaginative dishes that burst with flavor using farm fresh ingredients prepared by an award winning chef. Experience the romance of dining in a cozy romantic 1927 fully restored Pullman Car or enjoy a cocktail in an 1887 Freight House Lounge. Watch the trains pass by our triple arched windows in the art deco main dining room while enjoying amazing food and service or simply sip champagne on our covered patio. Enhance the ambiance with a selection from our temperature-controlled wine cellar. Let the smooth jazz music tantalize you while you enjoy dinner, martinis, specialty drinks or champagne in our lounge. Enjoy the views of the Los Rios District with its quaint 200 year old adobes that are nestled in bougainvilleas and willow trees. For everyone who enjoys outstanding food and service in an elegant comfortable atmosphere that will transport you away.Continued
All aboard for great cuisine!
All aboard for great cuisine!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Vintage Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (30)romantic (26)neighborhood gem (18)fit for foodies (13)notable wine list (10)good for groups (7)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (5)scenic view (3)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- like the orient expresssaraDined on 10/19/2014we so enjoyed our dinner at the vintage steakhouse. we ate in the dining car and it was beautiful old world elegance. the food was delicious - each dish nicely prepared, flavorful and just as ordered. we had smoked trout to begin - wonderful shared appetizer. and the sirloin steak with a trove of different vegetables was done perfectly - medium rare and flavorful. service was great, attentive but not hovering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A trip back in timeSyd34Dined on 10/14/2014When we visit San Juan Capistrano, we always enjoy dining at the Vintage Steakhouse. Love eating in the old train cars with white tablecloths and napkins. Reminder of how travel was ages ago. Food and service are always wonderful. The booths are very comfortable for 2 or 4 folks. Portions very good and reasonably priced, I think. Fun place to dine.Special Features:
- TonyGDined on 10/8/2014Very good food, excellent service....third time here over last few years...always satisfied.Special Features:
- DinerVIPDined on 9/28/2014The service was attentive, but breakfast menu was very limited and a number of items they didn't have. This narrowed our choices. One of us had the French toast with rice krispies and the other had an omelette. No feta chesse in the kitchen. I overhead a waitress telling a table that lunch would not be served until 2 p.m. They were not pleased and left. The food was good and plentiful.Special Features:
- Dining Car was terrific.MJOHNfromSCDined on 9/20/2014Waiter, Charles, was attentive but unobtrusive. Food and wine were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ExecutionIrvineDine12Dined on 9/13/2014Unknowledgable, unprofessional, and just plain slow service. Read the reviews before you go, I wish we had. The decent food is overshadowed by the untrained staff and painful wait for everything.Special Features:
- A+DedeDined on 9/13/2014A++++++++++++++++++++¥++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice steak mealYumSteakDined on 9/3/2014We went on a living social deal and will surely go back. Carlos really took care of us and provided great recommendations on the food and wine. We both marveled at how perfectly our steaks were cooked - perfect medium rare is hard to come by. It was our anniversary and they provided a nice dessert (with flames!) to help us celebrate. Nice touches all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chew ChooOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/1/2014It was fun to sit in an old train car. Our waiters were excellent and accommodated all our needs.Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014We went there to celebrate our anniversary and it was wonderful! The service was outstanding as well as the food! We love this place and look forward to going there again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Train Never Left The StationJimmyDined on 8/27/2014Dining Car accommodations a must....service suffers from long distances from kitchen to dining room...waiters try but appear understaffed....food acceptable but does not exceed your expectations...another of those one and done restaurants where you will never learn their names or the Menu....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMarzracergirlDined on 8/27/2014Vintage has never disappointed us, we have dined here several times and each time is a wonderful experience. The waiter even made a special dessert for my daughters birthday, it was definitely a birthday she will always remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun nightFuncoupleDined on 8/15/2014We met another couple here for drinks and dinner. Very cool place and a fun atmosphere for getting to know each other. Not very noisy ( we probably made the most noise ... Sorry about that ). Dinner was great and drinks were perfect. You should really try this place.Special Features:
- nice and charmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014I have been here twice. Each time i sat in the train cart. Each time there was an old timer who had too much to drink and the staff doesn't know how to handle it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Place to EatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Been there before and can't complain about the service or food. Will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FAVORITE LOCAL DINERDinedaily7VIPDined on 8/2/2014WE DID HAVE A RESERVATION. I HAVD REQUESTED THE DINING CAR. WE WERE TOLD OUR WAIT WOULD BE 10 MINUTE. A DIFFERENT TABLE HAD BEEN OFFERED TO US, WE OPTED TO WAIT IN THE BAR. WE WAITED OVER AN HOUR. THE HOSTESS KEEP US INFORMED. THE DINERS AT OUR TABLE HAD PAIN THE BILL, THEY WERE STILL TALKING. ONCE SEATED WE WERE SERVED THREE DELICIOUS APPETIZERS AND AN APOLOGY FOR THE LONG WAIT. FOOD, DRINKS, SERVICE WERE ALL WONDERFUL. STILL ONE OF OUR FAVORITE PLACES.Special Features:
- Rather disappointing this timedaijonesVIPDined on 8/2/2014First time was good, this time disappointing. Food was actually fine but service was horrible, slow and wrong orders even though not busy. We asked to see the manager and he accepted the issues and personally looked after us the rest of the meal and was much better but by that time we'd had enough. And not directly the restaurant problem but parking on a Saturday evening was a real pain. Don't plan to every come back unless maybe for lunch when in the area with a lot of time on our hands.
- Birthday LunchBterfly112Dined on 8/1/2014Took my husband here for a Birthday lunch. Nice atmosphere, very good food. Pleasant surprise to have a delicious treat delivered to the table at the end of our meal. Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerBarryPDined on 7/29/2014We could not have picked a better place for our 47th Anniversary dinner. The converted Railroad cars are absolutely charming. The food was amazing and the service was 2nd to none. They even brought a complimentary desert that was just beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect AmbienceluvartichokesDined on 7/26/2014If you are looking for a very memorable evening to share with a person special individual the Vintage Steakhouse is a superb choice. Historic Pullman dining cars provide a special romantic setting for enjoying a quite dinner celebrating a special occasion with that very special person. The service is excellent and the food is to die for. I would definitely recommend the Artichoke Bottoms. They literally melt in your mouth and set the high expectation for the rest of the meal and I was not disappointed. The Top Sirloin with baked potato smothered with sour cream, bacon bits, and chives was over the top. The Gulf Prawns were excellent as well. You will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Train Adds To Dining ExperienceProductReviewerDined on 7/25/2014We dined at town charming restaurant with out of town guest. From the large restaurant windows we were able to enjoy the the Amtrak. Service was very good, food ok- appetizers on the very petite side, entrees were good, the coffee was extremely strong and dessert reminded me of Trader Joe ready make desserts. However, we enjoy the ambience and we will return to this restaurant. On a side note, we had purchased a discount coupon for a four course dinner at this restaurant. The restaurant was extremely accommodating of our discount.
- Fantastic serviceBighornerDined on 7/25/2014Went here for breakfast on a Friday. The restaurant was pretty empty so we got seated pretty quickly. The server was fantastic, and we received exceptional service from him and another person. The food was okay - breakfast was comparable to Dennys breakfast, but the service, ambience, decor, and overall experience were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestGreatasusualDined on 7/18/2014We have eaten here numerous times and the quality of the food, and the service continue to excel. Trout appetizer is spectacular, unique and a preparation we have not had anywhere else. Steaks were well prepared and accompanied with a selection of sauces - the best are the cabernet reduction and the mushroom. We finished with an incredible peanut butter crème brule. We have sat in the main dining room and watched the trains go by - surprisingly quiet, the glass must be quite think. Requested the train car seating on this trip, and you just can not beat the ambience. Wait staff was attentive and efficient, friendly and knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 14meDined on 7/18/2014Took a friend for her first time & she loved it. We love the ambience & the food.Special Features:
- What a find!rmanakaVIPDined on 7/13/2014Went to the Vintage Steakhouse for a Living Social dinner for four coupon, but ended up ordering from the regular menu (our request) and receiving a credit towards our bill. Started with cocktails, Pullman Pomegranate Martini, Salty Pear Martini, Manhattan Station and the French Martini, all excellent! We chose the Artichoke hearts (ohhh with bread) and the Mussels and Manila Clams (delicious broth) appetizers. Entrees were the New York steak, the Roasted Rack of Lamb, the Salmon and a Broiled Halibut special. All cooked perfectly and amazing flavors. Dessert was Peanut Butter Creme Brulee and the vanilla bean profiteroles all with prosecco and champagne. Great experience...kudos to Carlos, Scott, Mike, Chef Byron. Great wines (no space)!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014I would not recommend this restaurant! Horrible service, had to go to bar to get drinks, steaks were over cooked - We ended up walking out!!
- Outstanding ExperienceTinkVIPDined on 7/10/2014The Vintage was a great find. We had dinner with friends and the experience was lasting. The service was professional, fun, entertaining and spot on. The food was prepared perfectly, nice presentation and variety. Their artichoke appetizer was outstanding. The train setting was historic and made the ambiance elegant. The staff was knowledgable about the history and was fun listening to their renditions. I highly recommend this for a romantic dinner or just a great place to meet friends. I will definitely be back!!!Special Features:
- The following 519 reviews are from the The Vintage Steakhouse reviews archive.
- Pullman Car DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/29/2014While the young man who bussed our table was somewhat...confused, overall we enjoyed the experience. Food was good if a bit pricey, service average, and the ambience outstanding. Pullman car dining is romantic and nostalgic.Special Features:
- go elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/28/2014Hubby and I went with a Groupon. first mistake. Hostess informed us of a $20 upcharge. Since the couple next to us got the same speech, I see this is common.Even though we had an early reservation and there were many tables ,we were seated at the smallest table ever. So small it was difficult to have the appetizer at the same time as the bread. So small, the two dinner plates hung over the edges of both sides of the table!Spinach salad was only leaves and dressing. Waiter criticized Cab (what I wanted and is often paired with steak) Worst of all, we watched the hostess ask 4 seniors chatting quietly after paying their bill to leave the table. There were plenty of open tables and this one remained empty for 20 minutes. RUDE!
- Vintage is a gemBelvisBCDined on 6/27/2014Fantastic place with great ambiance, great food, great peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will never go backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Service was terrible it was our fifth anniversary wife salmon was burnt had to send back so I was eating alone and my food was not hot, after initial order we saw server maybe 4times our water glasses were always empty half way thru my meal when my wife's meal finally showed up I asked for another drink BTW this was not our server. Server came back 5 min. Later said drink was almost done server came back 15 min. Later with drink by then I was done with my meal so I no longer wanted the drink. Overall the whole experience was bad we were always waiting. They never even acknowledged our anniversary. Oh our servers name was Carlos
- SusanVIPDined on 6/27/2014This is one of our favorites; we like to sit in the dining car. It's nice to have a variety of vegetables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/26/2014out of town, went to Yelp and Open Table and found this gem...my local hosts had never tried it...food outstanding, service couldn't be better, ambience and noise were perfect for a quiet evening chatting, savoving a fine dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OCfoodieVIPDined on 6/22/2014We have been to this restaurant many times before with pleasant experiences. Unfortunately, we chose the wrong day/time to go. We used a travelzoo voucher, and 1 of 3 appetizer options as well as 1 of 4 soup/salad options were not available. For the main dish, I ordered the New York steak (medium), and it was more than well done. I mentioned it to our server, but didn't have them re do it. For dessert, we ordered the ice cream puffs (and I just noticed they are not on the regular menu) and I swear they were out from a Costco bag... Terrible! The only reason why we would give it another chance is because we received a gift certificate to use later for all the inconveniences. Otherwise they will be out of our list of places to go to!Special Features:
- JohnDined on 6/20/2014good experience.Not crazy about the meals.Dine in a train is a nice thing.Special Features:
- Train station favoriteQuinnVIPDined on 6/15/2014A nice cozy restaurant in an old train car and train station. Waiter was exceptional, while hostess was not. The food and drinks were deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014We have eaten here a number of times and had good food but this time we feel that the food was not as good as in the past but did enjoy eating in the side car.
- awesomeLAloriDined on 6/1/2014Definitely coming back! Thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Train BuffsOCPD44Dined on 5/31/2014A great steakhouse with a twist- the dining rooms are refurbished dining and sleeper train cars. Try the bone in New York steak with the twice baked potato. Julie raved over the Prawns. She also loved the Mushroom soup a as an appetizer. Full bar but limited gins.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food/serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014The food was good. The service? Well, at least every 3 minutes someone came up to ask if everything was okay, but my husband ordered a salad with his lunch and they forgot it, so we canceled it. Food took a while to get to the table. Otherwise a fun place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.