The View Restaurant at the Mirror Lake Inn
77 Mirror Lake Drive
Lake Placid, NY 12946Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The View Restaurant at the Mirror Lake Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://mirrorlakeinn.com/
- Phone: 5183023000
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 10:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 7:30am - 11:00am; Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jarrad Lang
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Contact our Group Sales Department for private events.
- Private Party Facilities: Multiple venues are available for private parties from 8 to 100 guests. Groups over 20 are encouraged to work through the properties group sales office.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Welch 5183023000
- Entertainment: Taste Bistro & Bar- Friday evenings enjoy live music, 7:30-10:30PM
A word from The View Restaurant at the Mirror Lake Inn
The View is the only AAA four-diamond fine dining restaurant in Lake Placid, New York. Overlooking Mirror Lake and the Adirondack High Peaks, this restaurant is renown for its commitment to food and wine. The concept is elegant comfort foods with an extensive wine list that has been recognized for excellence by the Wine Spectator for the past Thirteen years. The menu changes three times each year. Prepared Dinner at The James Beard House November 2008. We are also new member to The Adirondack Harvest. Taste Bistro & Bar adjoins the View with Casual dinner fare, have drinks by the fire and relax. Live music on Friday nights in Taste Bistro. The perfect place for the "special occasion".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The View Restaurant at the Mirror Lake Inn - Best Restaurants in Lake Placid ›
The View Restaurant at the Mirror Lake Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
scenic view (46)romantic (42)special occasion (35)notable wine list (32)fit for foodies (23)neighborhood gem (15)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014We had a fabulous experience. The food was outstanding. Our server was personable, talked with us, and did everything we expected and more. We even talked with the chef who was more than personable. Of course, we raved about the food he had prepared for us! I had Quail and my husband had Walleye Pike, both of which we highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great for that special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Went there for our 40th anniversary. Picked the restaurant from the online reviews and web searches. Great meal, great service, relaxing time. Thank You.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014We have been visiting Mirror Lake once a year -- almost every autumn -- for about the last ten years; our experience has always been superb, and tis year's visit was no exception!!Special Features:
- Wonderful!dineeverywhereVIPDined on 9/28/2014Having never been to the Lake Placid area, we took a chance on this restaurant and were not disappointed. Great food, wonderful service, beautiful view and an impressive fine dining atmosphere. The Parmesan Custard Ceasar salad (I know, tired...) had a wonderful twist of preserved lemon and a Parmesan "custard" dressing. Very crisp and different enough to be refreshing. The seared Halibut was a great delight, and my husband's Cornish Hen was served with leg/thigh smoked and the breast grilled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceGoldiVIPDined on 9/25/2014We had a very nice dinner. The staff was attentive but not intrusive. The view of Mirror Lake is lovely. We also had breakfast here and that was enjoyable also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014the service was excellent. was greeted by name and table was ready at time requested. the waitress was knowledgeable and professional. Food was delicious and presentation was equally well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place to eat in Lake PlacidNYCvisitorVIPDined on 9/19/2014Everything was perfect from the service to the presentation. We stayed at the restaurant's hotel (the Mirror Lake Inn) and found that eating dinner anywhere else was a mistake. Try the fried Brussels sprouts. It will be a real surprise and a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive, but worth every pennybluesnutDined on 9/19/2014I made reservations for three of us online. Not only did I receive an email confirmation, but a follow up phone call on the day of our meal. Our waiter was a wine consultant from a nearby town, We were seated a few minutes after our reservation time, but enjoyed the wait in the bar. Not only was our waiter personable and funny, but very knowledgeable about the menu choices. I had the strip steak special, and my friends had scallops and lamb. The extras - palate cleansers, bread, smoked salmon, etc., were great. We all were very pleased with our dinners. The staff were all welcoming and eager to please. We will be back again. There was a musician playing piano nearby - not too loud, but added a nice touch to the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience I hadn't had in a whileViewDined on 9/13/2014This restaurant is a must for a romantic dinner experience: food was excellent and the palate cleanser and amuse bouche were nice touches, I thought we were going to see a finger bowl before dessert. Great romantic dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb! A fine dining experience!VaCanuckDined on 9/3/2014We chose The View based on reviews of other top contributors. This is a fine dining restaurant in an equally fine Inn. From start to finish, the meal was a culinary masterpiece. My wife had the Sea Scallops and I had the Prime Filet. Both were excellently prepared and presented. Even the two palate cleansers were works of art. As it was my wife's' birthday, they prepared a beautiful dessert plate and took a commemorative picture which they printed off and presented to us in a Mirror Lake Inn frame. I would highly recommend The View for your special occasion or to top off your Lake Placid experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFoodieJCVIPDined on 8/30/2014Such a wonderful evening in Lake Placid at The View. Fantastic service, a delicious meal and a beautiful view of Mirror Lake. My husband and I went for our first anniversary and they treated us like gold. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- TiredRosieDined on 8/25/2014From the initial entrance into the Mirror Lake Hotel which houses The View restaurant our experience was sub par. The carpet on the steps leading into the main entrance was threadbare and dirty. The restaurant was more than half empty. Yet on Open Table they wouldn't accept a 7:30 reservation. The dining room room was dreary, dark and tired...feeling much like an old age home. The hostess dressed poorly and her greeting was less than friendly. The waiter was somewhat efficient but unfriendly. For a restaurant with entrees over $40 we expected a lot more!! Including a fresh cup of coffee which when we asked the waiter his response was "at this time of night it's not fresh. His response should have been "I'm happy to put on a fresh pot!
- Don't take early reservation...ActonDadVIPDined on 8/22/2014unless you don't mind being surrounded by children. We have them, and made plans for them to be elsewhere for a romantic evening. Early reservations won't have you joining the blue hair crowd, instead you'll be joining the kids menu 'pizza pizza pizza' crowd. And its not that the families are seated in another room. We were surrounded. Opt for later reservations or go somewhere else if you are in search of a romantic meal.Special Features:
- Fine dining in ADKtoobadDined on 8/21/2014Excellent food and service - but much more formal than we were expecting in Lake PlacidSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 diamond eating at it's best!Want2enjoyDined on 7/24/2014The food was excellent! Our party had the two evening specials: Halibut and Sirloin, while I had the Seared Scallops off of the regular menu. The presentations were wonderful, with the main entrees paired with fabulous garnishes and sauces or vegetable purées! Everything was cooked to perfection. Top that off with a wide variety of superb wines, great service and yummy desserts and you have quite the culinary experience. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- LocalDinerVIPDined on 7/23/2014A lovely spot on Mirror Lake and very creative, flavorful cuisine. The pea soup was excellent, and (finally) a new take on a Caesar salad: the Parmesan custard and the preserved lemon were brilliant and gave the salad a touch of sweetness that was sublime. Along with the amuse bouche, the vegetarian Barigoule was very good, as was the lamb. Almost everything was locally sourced and it was clear by the flavor. The desserts were also delicious, full of fresh berries and dark chocolate for us. The next morning we hightailed it down to the Saratoga Olive Oil Company because the oil and balsamic we were served with the fresh bread The View was to die for! This is a humble, restful and delicious stop worth making while you're in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2014Wonderful staff, excellant food, and a fantastic view of Mirror Lake are a winning combination !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ViewjellybeanDined on 7/12/2014We eat at The View for 2 evenings. The service was excellent. The food came hot. The food was also displayed with style. The portions were ample. We liked the appetizers from the chief and the sorbet between courses. The whole experience was wonderful. We have been coming there for the last 5 years to celebrate our birthdays and will be returning again.Special Features:
- Anniversary Dinner & BreakfastsLocalresidentDined on 7/10/2014While staying at the Mirror Lake Inn, we enjoyed a fabulous dinner and two excellent breakfast buffets at the View. The view is in fact amazing from every table. The entire Inn has tremendous character which is enhanced by the attention from the staff. Breakfast was excellent and fresh even at the buffet. Overall, the price is a bit high for some dinner entrees but the ambiance, service, quality and even portions made the price appropriate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingpinkbikeDined on 7/10/2014I am a foodie! This was outstanding and simply one of the best dining experiences I have had. We will return to Lake Placid for many reasons but The View will be at the top of our list!Special Features:
- Great food and sceneryfhlhkDined on 7/9/2014The View restaurant at the Mirror Lake Inn is one of the best restaurants in Lake Placid. We had spent our fourth anniversary trip there in 1987 and had been back with our children several years ago. This is our third time there. The food was well presented and the waitress very knowledgeable about the menu items. The ambiance and and view of the lake make for a relaxing and enjoyable dining experience. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding - as usual!PastorPeteDined on 7/6/2014A truly delightful, pampering dining experience. The employees - from hostess on down - actually seem to enjoy what they are doing, and want to make absolutely certain that their patrons enjoy their entire time at The View as well. Of course the food is top notch, but that is to be expected. What really sets The View apart, head and shoulders above the rest, is the impeccable service. Whomever is doing the training deserves a raise!!!Special Features:
- Great for romantic dinnersJCinPAVIPDined on 6/30/2014One of the few places I've been to recently that had a REAL wax candle on the table, not some battery-powered or lamp oil thing. Beautiful view of Mirror Lake (adjacent to Lake Placid). The food was excellent and imaginative, and perfectly presented. I ordered a strip steak medium rare and the first one came out medium well, but I sent it back and the second was brought out quickly and just perfectly done. Probably a new trainee learning how to judge steaks, but both meals were terrific after that little hiccup. Our server was terrific, and very knowledgeable about their wine list. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerfoodforthought2Dined on 6/29/2014The restaurant had a beautiful view and great service. The food was well prepared and thoughtfully presented. My husband and I enjoyed our leisurely meal. If you are in a hurry, this is not the place to go. It was expensive and is good for a special occasion.Special Features:
- SpectacularDined on 6/28/2014Food was exceptional. View of the lake outstanding. Made a great ambiance. Piano player was a nice touch for music. I recommend this to anyone who wants a great romantic place to entertain and for special occasions. The only suggestion on Parking is that there was no signs that directed you to the back. So if you go, know that you must back up the hill behind the Inn.Special Features:
- The following 302 reviews are from the The View Restaurant at the Mirror Lake Inn reviews archive.
- Very goodhappycustomerVIPDined on 6/25/2014The dining room at The View is lovely and it does provide a beautiful view. The food was delicious and well prepared. The staff was friendly, but the actual service was spotty. Our waitress disappeared for long periods of time; in fact, she left us alone for so long with the dessert menu that we decided to skip dessert & coffee. It seems the timing of the service is a few beats too slow.Special Features:
- Fabulous MealjoneszDined on 6/21/2014Everything was perfect! The Food, the service,and of course the view of the the lake and mountains was spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/20/2014This restaurant seemed to have good ratings, but we found the food to be flavorless and restaurant seriously overpriced.
- Dinner at the View1970DADDined on 6/15/2014The service and food were excellent. Looking out over Mirror Lake added a special touch. The staff were friendly, attentive, professional, and knowledgeable of the menu item's. We had a Great Father's Day Dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant surpriseViewDined on 6/8/2014We were in town for the weekend. We did not find any fine dining in the town of Lake Placid. When we saw the tucked away restaurant on a walk around mirror lake, we decided to try - and wow! It rivals a 5star restaurant in NY! A treasure. Pierce, the friendly waiter is very kind and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very ProfessionalJosephVIPDined on 6/5/2014Every aspect of the experience was outstanding. The service was professional and the quality of the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 10 meal of all timePSUJACKDined on 6/2/2014My wife and I are big fans of dining out, so we have the opportunity to dine at and rate hundreds of restaurants each year. Our meal at the The View was extraordinary in every way. Every part of the meal from beverages, appetizers, salads, entrees and dessert were impeccably prepared and abounding in taste. The mustard au jus reduction used on the filet mignon was like nothing I have ever tasted before. The waitstaff is very well trained and always appeared at just the right time. The restaurant is in a classic old inn with great views. The atmosphere was very elegant and peaceful. Perfect for a romantic evening.Special Features:
- Heavenly Cuisine at Mirror Lakebillid2jojoDined on 5/31/2014Rutabaga & Apple Bisque was rich, creamy, delicately flavored, and absolutely to die for. Braised Pork Cheeks so tender that virtually kneading between tongue and upper palate before swallowing sufficed. Delish! Free Range Chicken an outstanding dish accentuated by roasted beet color and flavor burst contrast with quinoa; savored the sweetness of the vinegar reduction and the texture of the parsnips reminiscent of water chestnut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Travis RiceSeriden4800Dined on 5/30/2014We stopped in here for the final night of our Honeymoon in Placid. Everything was fantastic from the greeting at the front to the after dinner truffles and menthe. We are still talking about how great the food was days later and can not wait to return to go again! The view of mirror lake was wonderful, the atmosphere was perfect for a romantic special occasion with the candlelight, and the staff we interacted with was very engaged and interactive. The food was some of, if not the best, we have ever had start to finish. Every course was phenomenal and the wine list and pairings just made it even better. I would recommend this to everyone who visits Lake Placid looking for a great fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but a little old feelingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/26/2014As a couple in our late 20s/early 30s, we were by far the youngest couple except for one other couple our age. The building burned down in the past 20 years, and was rebuilt, but decorated to look like it is the same, leaving it rather stuffy and out-dated feeling. We were there mid-week in shoulder season so it was fairly empty, which meant we could hear everyone else's conversations which was not so romantic. The food and service was excellent. But the overall ambiance detracted from the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2hikeDined on 5/24/2014The view, service, and attention to detail was outstanding. Our meals from the salad, entree, to dessert were delicious and presented beautifully. Although you expect to pay more , it was worth every penny. We highly recommend for couples celebrating special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifully WarmJuanitaDined on 4/26/2014I was dining individually and wanted a window seat but they were all taken. Nicole came later and said a table opened up next to the fireplace which was warm and cozy. It was late at night so view not good better if you come sunset. The men behind me were rowdy and one howled as I passed. Nicole apologized and said the group was not permitted to ever return to the restaurant. Great food and great service. For my birthday brought me a cake with a candle....very sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional!PastorPeteDined on 4/26/2014The food was outstanding - but I expected that. The views were wonderful - but I expected that as well. What really made the evening for us was the exemplary service, and THAT was a welcome surprise! Food was served correctly, the table was set correctly, servers were always present but never obtrusive. Only one time did a server reach in front of my wife to serve her (bread.) The only challenge was finding The View! Signage could be improved! But then, of course, EVERYONE would be dining here! On second thought, forget the signs. Keep this the hidden jewel that it is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost GreattimkDined on 3/28/2014The view is, of course, the strength of this restaurant. The wait staff was knowledgeable, friendly, efficient, and inconspicuous, except when needed. That defines excellent service in my book. The wine list was excellent and had a number of wines by the glass and some very good half-bottles. The food, on the other hand was a bit shy of great. The crab cake and the foie gras appetizers were good but both were missing something. More salt, maybe? The sea bass special was good but the vegetables it was paired with didn't quite work. My wife's beef bourguignon was excellent. We had the cheese plate and the selection of cheeses was good but - and here I will conceded that our taste in cheese is a bit atypical - we have had better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- from a former longtime fanPavelDined on 3/20/2014We were very disappointed by our last visit to The View. We come to The Mirror Lake Inn every winter and typically would book every dinner at The View but this time we had to cancel all the subsequent dinners and go elsewhere after the first one. The Caesar Salad was bland. So was the Risotto - we had to replace it with Atlantic Cod but it was also a disappointment - bland just like the previous 2 items. The only things which were OK were Pork Cheeks and Sea Scallops. Something needs to be done about the menu - The Mirror Lake Inn is such a charming special place but the restaurant menu has deteriorated dramatically. This said, the service as well as the breakfast are very good.Special Features: