The View Restaurant at the Historic Crags Lodge
300 Riverside Dr.
PO Box 480
Estes Park, CO 80517Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The View Restaurant at the Historic Crags Lodge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cragslodge.com/
- Phone: 9705861087
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00PM - 9:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Executive Chef: Aaron Kadlecek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining in Enoch's Dining Room or your own section in the View Restaurant. Please make arrangements for private dining at least 24 hours in advance. We can accommodate groups from 2 to 200.
- Private Party Contact: Aaron 9705866066
- Entertainment: Live music Monday through Thursday during dinner.
A word from The View Restaurant at the Historic Crags Lodge
Located in the Historic Crags Lodge, the View is an established, destination restaurant for many people living along the front range. Dining is casual yet elegant and offers the best view of Rocky Mountain National Park and Estes Park through it's 90 foot wall of windows. The menu is an eclectic mix of unique entrees such as the Tenderloin Tower with Shrimp and Lemon Beurre Blanc sauce or Chicken Daytona with Triple Sec Cream sauce. Only fresh, local ingredients are used in the menu and the staff is welcoming and friendly. The View is a perfect mix of atmosphere, views, excellent food and fine wine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The View Restaurant at the Historic Crags Lodge - Best Restaurants in Estes Park ›
The View Restaurant at the Historic Crags Lodge reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since May 17, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (30)romantic (18)special occasion (17)good for groups (9)neighborhood gem (8)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (7)fit for foodies (3)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Food food, amenities lacking.EppsDined on 8/27/2014Visit did not begin well. We could not find a handicapped parking space anywhere. All the spaces near the entrance were marked for hotel guests only. This is a serious flaw which should be addressed immediately. Also the steps going up to the entrance were higher than I would think code would allow and there was no ramp and no hand rails for support. Bad!! Our waitress told us they could not make a gibson!! It took an interminable time for our appetizers to arrive. And the dining room was very sparsely populated this weeknight. No bread basket was offered and had to be requested. Appetizers: Ceviche excellent, warm brie was also ample and good. Entrees, Jambalaya and Rainbow Trout were excellent, Scallops Carbonara sauced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDeedragonDined on 8/13/2014The view lives up to its name with a spectator view but the food and service leave a lot to be desired for these prices. Two highlights of the meal were chicken soup and coconut shrimp. Steaks were bland, Alfredo was browning, dessert described as brownie soufflé was simply a brownie in a soufflé dish heated up with ice cream thrown on top. If you go, go for an app and take in the view but don't bother with a full meal.Special Features:
- Very DisappointedgdyeDined on 8/11/2014My wife and I went up to Estes for our 10th wedding anniversary, very nice trip overall. We made a reservation two weeks in advance specifically asking for the balcony seating, 10th anniversary, etc. We got there and no balcony seating, the excuse coming for the hostess was " I don't know why but they put somebody there already". Asked the manager and her response was " We can't reserve those seats you have to call in" Great, I wish I would have known that or maybe someone should have let me known from the restaurant. The only reason why I booked this place was the balcony seating.
- Very EnjoyableLunaDinesOutDined on 8/7/2014We go out for one "special meal" every time we visit Estes Park, and usually go to the Stanley. This time we tried the View, and actually liked it much better. We enjoyed the historic ambiance of the hotel (and the wonderful view) and both the food and the service were very good. There was a musician playing and singing that evening, and it added to the experience without being overpowering. We were with family and enjoyed being able to talk and have such a pleasurable dining experience. We would definitely come back!Special Features:
- Great PlavSherDined on 8/6/2014We enjoyed our dinner at the View! We had appetizers and dinner! The portions were generous.Special Features:
- Beautiful SettingJeffDined on 8/3/2014Very impressed with this dining experience. Have been around Estes Park area most of my life and this is my first time dining there. Food is fantastic and they have a great selection to choose from. The restaurant sits on hillside overlooking the town. Great views, great food what else is there?Special Features:
- Almost perfectlovethemenuDined on 7/28/2014Only 2 small negatives: minimum of dressing on the salad, and main course arrived before we were done with salad. Trout was delicious & service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Estes Park Gemmanitou4VIPDined on 7/25/2014There's a lot of bad food in Estes Park. My wife and I have found a couple of places we like, and we rarely stray from those places, because we're almost always sorry. When we discovered The View at Crags Lodge a few years ago, it went straight to the top of our favorites list. The menu has something for everyone, and it's delicious and artfully prepared. From homemade soups to appetizers to salads to entrees to desserts - it has ALL been excellent at The View at Crags Lodge. They also have a great selection of reasonably-priced wines. We heard a disturbing rumor this summer that Crags Lodge may not renew their lease with The View restaurant - what a disappointment that would be. Truly one of the best places to eat in Estes Park, bar none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terriblecynamon2002Dined on 7/25/2014My husband and my dinner were terrible. His steak gravy tasted like it came out of a can. Bread was even stale. Its supposed to be a nice restaurant and the hostess was wearing shorts and a tshirt. Employees were rolling silverware and eating right in the dining area. It was our 10 year anniversary and we were very excited about this restaurant. Very expensive for subpar food.
- We ate at 5pm so it was quiet.MtngirlDined on 7/23/2014We sat at a table for two in one of their three balconies. There were pansies and petunias in the flower box railings. There are lovely view of downtown Estes Park and in the distance, you can see Lumpy Ridge, Twin Owls and the historic Stanley Hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricy for the qualitybk2014Dined on 7/15/2014Food was just ok. I expected more from this restaurant. The food was over pieces for the quality.the best part of the meal was dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View not enough for dinner...EatOutAlotDined on 7/13/2014As soon as we sat down, the hostess said to be prepared for a wait as they were short staffed - not the first thing we expected to hear. The view through the wall of windows would have been great had the windows been washed this season - dirt and cobwebs throughout. The kids menu was straight from the freezer, and frankly I prefer Costco. The adult entrees were much better, but not great, and many of their entree and appetizer choices were sold out (7pm) - they even ran out of lettuce for salads. By the time we finished dinner, they were telling the table next to us that all of their fish entrees were gone, and the majority of their steaks. Only go if you can't get in elsewhere, and call ahead to see if food on menu is still available.Special Features:
- Fine diningColoKathyDined on 7/10/2014Several good reasons to dine at The View: good service, varied and interesting menu, good food, large and open dining room with a quiet and quaint ambianceSpecial Features:
- Great Atmosphere!CincifanofgoodfoodDined on 7/2/2014Great food, great service, great view! Highly recommend! They had a guitar player who was very talented and provided a great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful "View" diningLongbowLawyerVIPDined on 5/30/2014Nice restaurant, great view of Estes Park. If you dine in mid to late summer ask to dine on their balconies, outside. Service was excellent, food presentation was good.Special Features:
- The following 44 reviews are from the The View Restaurant at the Historic Crags Lodge reviews archive.
- Great viewRuthG13VIPDined on 8/24/2013It was my husband's birthday and they knew that when I made the reservation and remembered when we checked in. However, we waited 20 minutes for anyone to acknowledge us after we sat down. Two wait staff walked by us more than once and never said a word. They chit chatted with their tables though. Finally one of those waiters came over, apologized and said there was a mix up in communications with the hostess. The food was good. Wine list limited. View wonderful. Ask for one of the little tables outside. Service was OK.I would recommend this to a friend.
- salad dressing was watery,PopsVIPDined on 8/24/2013salad dressing was watery, food seemed to have been prepared earlier and warmed up. Didn't work for my scallops or my wife's brie.
- Crag's RestauranOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2013Very good food, service and ambience with a terrific view of Lumpy Ridge in Estes ParkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip this oneOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2013So-so food and service. The worst part: the guy playing the guitar and SINGING during dinner. He wasn't all that bad, but if I wanted to go to a night club, I would go to a night club. I was looking forward to a quiet and relaxing dinner and this was anything but.
- Nothing memorable!MarkCisVIPDined on 8/10/2013Dined here on a recent visit to Estes Park based on seeing a positive review on OpenTable. My experience was definitely not positive. Food...service...ambiance...all forgettable. If you have a choice, go to the Twin Owls instead. Went there the night before and it is a significantly nicer total dining experience!
- Fabulous!KathieVIPDined on 8/9/2013We were lucky enough to get one of the outdoor tables on a lovely table for two balcony surrounded by petunias on the rail and a spectacular view of Estes Park and the Rocky Mountains. Delightful! This restaurant has three balconies with a private table on each, lovely view with terrific food and wonderful service. We tried to go back for lunch on Sunday but they're only open for dinner, which is the only down side to this beautiful place. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FindOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/21/2013Sits above downtown Estes Park with a gorgeous mountain view, this fantastic find is housed in a historic hotel. A full wall of windows looks out on the gorgeous Rocky Mountains. Many times a restaurant like this is all view and not much else. Not this place -- great food (beef medallions were a hit) and the service was friendly and attentive. A great singer-songwriter guitarist made the evening really special. This was our splurge meal and it was a perfect location/vibe/menu. We will be back on on next visit for sure!Special Features:
- This has become one of ourOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/2/2012This has become one of our favorite places to eat in Estes Park. We vacation here a couple of times a year. The food is delicious and what a great view! We'll be back.Special Features:
- The food did not live up toGeofferwokVIPDined on 9/11/2012The food did not live up to the elegant old inn setting. Salads has been pre tossed and sitting in the fridge long before our orders. The meat and fish entrees are saucy or pretentious creations that detract from the actual cuts of beef or filets of fish. A trout should taste like a trout. A steak or filet should be seared and grilled properly to let the beef flavours come through and not be treated as a sauce carrier.
- Started with a salas whichBostonTravelerDined on 9/5/2012Started with a salas which was pretty plain, including canned sliced olives! Although,the balsamSpecial Features:
- Ambiance galore!lkwarnerVIPDined on 9/4/2012We sat on on one of the balconies and witnessed a bear sleeping in a tree! The windows and views are beautiful. Service was perfect, the food was good. A little heavy on the sauce, but still very tasty. We had a great time!Special Features:
- A wonderful evening..romantic.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2012Wonderful evening was had by all at The View Restaurant at Historic Crags Lodge. Our server was wonderful and the food good. Go early and get a table right by the open window...it is divine. The artichoke dip is just the BEST...a must try...(and I am very picky about artichoke dip!) The live music was very nice and we even got up and danced a bit..it was a wonderful evening..romantic...and quiet. Lovely actually.Special Features:
- We had a delicious dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2012We had a delicious dinner with a gorgeous view of Estes valley. A wonderful soothing guitar player in the background. I want to return with just my husband to sit at one of these adorable tables on individual balconies....looks so romantic. This is an old hotel the floors are wooden the windows have the old wavy glass in them... Cool place. feels like a treat.Special Features:
- Odd AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/12/2012Odd premeal experience - bar with no bar stools, patio with no seating, drink napkins left over from a 6/23 wedding, litter & construction debris obvious. Food was very good; lime seared pork & the jambalaya were properly prepared, seasoned & presented. Place was severely understaffed. Only 1 server, when we left more than 10 parties in the dining room + 3 private balconies. Table of 8 inside our balcony, waited for over 10 minutes for someone else to take their drink order saying that the server was extremely busy. Later server appeared to learn from the party drink order had been taken. This also affected our check (which was wrong) delivery; she was never able to return to collect. Finally paid in bar; bartender cash register challenged.Special Features:
- It seems that this restaurantannecline99Dined on 8/6/2012It seems that this restaurant has two names, which for a tourist is especially confusing! I booked the reservation for the View, but none of the signs anywhere said anything but the Golden Eagle! Very inconvenient and caused stress on a rainy night! But we were seated on the balcony with a great view - I saw a bear walk by - special Colorado experience! Romantic candlelight dinner with great service - thanks!Special Features:
- Great view, outside private dinningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2012Awesome view of Estes Park and mountains. Request outside seating at 2 tops on small private balconies. Note: only 2 tops. Food was good, service was better. Very nice evening of dining.Special Features:
- Think ElsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2012Service . . . would have been a good idea. Bread could have been delivered . . . before main courses finished. Expensive sampler could have had more . . . food. Medium-rare steak portion could have shown at least a little . . . pink. And so forth.Special Features:
- Great view with historic ambiance.ReedelVIPDined on 7/11/2012Great view with historic ambiance. Well prepared entrees from a diverse menu offering appetizing veggie options as well as tradtional fare. The Jamabalaya had a nice kick to it! Lemon cheesecake was delicious and home made. Service was very friendly and capable. The live music was a wonderful treat!Special Features:
- What a delightful dining experienceReedelVIPDined on 7/9/2012What a delightful dining experience! We were there for a working dinner meeting of 13. The palpable sense of history as one soaks up the breathtaking views of the mountains above Estes Park while sitting in handcrafted chairs that might have hosted Robert Frost only adds to the relaxing ambiance. The servers are genuinely friendly and accomodating while being knowledgeable about the rich menu offerings. They were most flexible in addressing various needs of a larger group and handled all special needs with aplomb. The live music was the perfect soundtrack to a mellow summer evening - celtic guitar the night we were there! We will return!Special Features:
- Good food with a great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2012Good food with a great atmosphere and mountain views. Many nights starting at 7pm have live music from area musicians.Special Features:
- Great view, okay foodDalmatianDadVIPDined on 7/1/2012The view is wonderful, the food is tasty and prepared well. We also enjoyed the singer-guitar player who had a nice mix of easy listening music for dining. It could be a really good restaurant but doesn't yet have anything special other than the view.Special Features:
- The food was very good andTimmyVIPDined on 6/27/2012The food was very good and the service was excellent. We had local lightly seared trout and it was attractively presented. Excellent view of downtown Estes Park with the mountains of RMNP in the background. For couples, I would recommend one of the three terrace tables for two.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed it, theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2012We really enjoyed it, the view, the music and the food were great!Special Features:
- While the food was good (asMickiVIPDined on 6/13/2012While the food was good (as it should be for a restaurant of this caliber), the service was horrible. Our waiter was kind but had very poor training. He was extremely slow, inefficient, lacked knowledge of the basics of the food offered, and had no finesse. If he was a waiter at a mediocre chain restaurant, he would barely be good enough. We always tip a minimum of 15% for poor service. He was so bad that we only tipped 10%, hoping he would understand the meaning of our insult.
- The historic property, greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/31/2012The historic property, great mountain views and excellent food artfully prepared make this a must for dinner while in Estes Park. Our server, Adrian, made the experience even more enjoyable and memorable.Special Features: