The Victor Cafe
1303 Dickinson Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
The Victor Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.victorcafe.com/
- Phone: 2154683040
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday 4:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday 5:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. Friday 5:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. Saturday 4:30 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Victor Cafe contains a grouping of intimate dining rooms which offer seating for a maximum of 135 people. Inquiries for smaller groups are also welcome. Special events may be booked for lunch, brunch, or dinner. Coctail hours with hot and cold butlered hors d'oeuvre may be arranged. We believe you will find the Victor Cafe a most unique dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: The Distefano Family 2154683040
- Entertainment: Live opera seven nights a week.
- Special Events: For parties larger than 10, please inquire within.
A word from The Victor Cafe
The Victor Café is an Italian restaurant that cultivates old traditions and seamlessly blends them with new ones. With classic Italian dishes and unforgettable live music, we invite you to join us for many enjoyable evenings for years to come.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Victor Cafe - Best Restaurants in South Philly ›
The Victor Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (124)neighborhood gem (111)romantic (104)good for groups (64)fit for foodies (33)notable wine list (23)late-night find (16)hot spot (12)kid-friendly (11)great for lunch (6)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- great night!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014You will always be impressed and awed by the singing here. There is no shortage of talent. The food is good too. For me the singing is the draw. Great for a romantic evening. Great for birthdays too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Singing waiters/Great foodsoozDined on 8/15/2014Love this special restaurant. Old-fashioned decorating, traditional Italian tablecloths and setting, great food. The most wonderful part is the opera-singing waitstaff--absolutely wonderful. Perfect for a special occasion. Love it!Special Features:
- Will be backOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014First time at Victor Cafe. Went on a Monday evening. The place was busy, but not crowded. Nice welcome. Excellent food and drinks and fine opera singing. A great place for small groups. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Were Swooning.JudyFromNJDined on 8/10/2014The waiters and waitresses sang Opera and we were swooning. We were a party of six and no one was disappointed with anything. The food was good and the historical ambiance was sooo interesting. A good meal and a good time was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Victor Cafe gets me singinhappycatDined on 8/9/2014A real treasure among restaurants in the East Coast. Where else but Philly could you eat delicious red sauce and home made cannoli while getting impromptu free mini concerts from some of the city's best singing talent. A great vibe that is kitschy enough to not be too stuffy, with an emphasis on really good honest food at reasonable prices. With the music, history, decor, and staff, you get a lot for your money. I plan to continue to come to Victor (as my family has for a generation) for years to come.Special Features:
- Real Italian SpotPauilBDined on 8/9/2014We went her for a special dinner for my daughter (14) who loves Italian food and singing. This place was perfect, and fine with children (also had son 11 along). Singing was every 20 minutes, so not disruptive. Goosebumps, the singing was good. Interestingly, we'd gone to a chain Italian the night before, and could say to the kids, "This place (Victor) is everything that chain restaurant was trying to be, but this place is real!" Worth the trip into the city, worth the $13 valet (no other option), and worth it all. Recommended without hesitation.Special Features:
- Great experienceAnnetteDined on 8/8/2014Victor cafe was an adorable place for a late night dinner. We were told that wait staff sings, boy were we surprised. The voices were amazing!!! Each waiter took a turn to sign opera. Beautiful voices. The meal was ok. Had to return a chicken dish. Meat was really tough. Replaced with a second option of tortellini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceJarvisDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I went to Victor Cafe for our anniversary. As always this place never fails to deliver excellent food, and a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Opera while diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014It was our wedding anniversary and we were not disappointed. The voices of those who sang opera were fabulous. Food was great and atmosphere was fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodlaflooryDined on 7/27/2014Our waiter Garret was fantastic. The veal saltimbocca at Victor was the best I've ever had. The quality of the tender meats and overall flavor of the marinade were perfect. My partner's Tosca chicken dish was average. The talent of the waiters singing opera here was enchanting. Overall a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab food & ambienceMartynDined on 7/26/2014Visited 20 years ago (we are from England) and the place has not changed at all. Fab food and great singing - a real must go to restaurant. The prices are so so reasonable that it is almost embarrassingly cheap for such great food!!Special Features:
- Lovely eveningLoriMVIPDined on 7/26/2014We spent one evening in Philadelphia and my husband had wanted to dine in Little Italy.I found this gem on Trip Advisor,and was not disappointed! The food was delicious and at about 20 min. intervals,a bell is wrung to announce a new operatic performance from a staff member. We enjoyed 4 different performers,one of which was our server.Everyone was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Entertaining dinnerSouthStreetMikeVIPDined on 7/18/2014The Victor Cafe is a wonderful place for a dinner with a twist. The servers take turns singing various operatic pieces. The food was very good and the skilled singers make for a fun evening. We've been there several times with out of town guests to treat them to something different, but this time it was a local group of friends who hadn't been there in a while. It was as good as remembered.Special Features:
- Delicious, as usualWifflerDined on 7/16/2014Went with my girlfriend and her friend, first time there for both. They LOVE it! The room upstairs is fun to enjoy a pre-dinner drink. Terrific appetizers and even better entrées! The ravioli is highly recommended. They also have some great crème brûlèe!! The singing rounds out the experience with a great Italian atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Outstanding place. Waiters and waitresses sing opera and they are really good! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable evening at Victor CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014A friend had recommended we try Victor Cafe, as a unique and fun experience, with a good meal, to boot. We enjoyed our dinners, and the opera singing was very good! The restaurant was crowded and the singing took place about every 20-30 minutes - it was a busy Saturday evening. All in all, I would recommend it to someone I thought would appreciate the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatwelldrinkbetterchipDined on 7/12/2014been to Victors several times over the years, not much has changed which is a good thing. This is both a regular and a destination place. Last night the opera singing was as always the highlite -the guy who proposed in front of all the dinners was an unexpected extra [n/b -still time to think that thru dude] . The food has never been the draw but is perfectly fine south Philly fare -you who gripe about it go try Vetri's. The wine list is limited i.e. no bottles of merlot but there is enuf to satisfy all but the Gaji palates. All in all -will be back next time in Phila.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As I remembered it!KnowhowtoeatDined on 7/11/2014This is somewhat unique in that the wait staff is trained opera singers. Between the responsibilities of serving drinks, dinner etc, the staff will sing parts of an aria of an opera. In my latest experience, we heard all servers sing over the course of a 2+ hour dinner, very enjoyable. The restaurant is deep into an Italian neighborhood of S Philadelphia, so the food is certainly Italian and certainly decent enough to hold it's own, but with the singers ut enhances the experience. The clams casino were excellent; prepared with the whole clam instead of chopped clams; the veal was very tender; decent wine list. Good experience both food-wise and entertainment.Special Features:
- Happy Anniversary AgainZorackDined on 7/11/2014We have been coming to The Victor Café for our anniversary for the last several years and have never been disappointed with the service, food or entertainment. We should book for 2015.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful eveningNoreenBVIPDined on 7/10/2014Good food, great music. I definitely recommend the pasta dishes and the lemon sorbet dessert.Special Features:
- Class with PalateFood4FunDined on 7/10/2014Dinner at Victor's is like a dining experience. While the food was very appetizing, the entertainment (opera singing) was some of the best I have heard outside of the Met. In addition, the service was very attentive and prices were reasonable. I would highly recommend this dining experience when you visit Philadelphia.Special Features:
- fun but food isnt greatHercDined on 7/8/2014Took my mom here when she visited. The atmosphere was casual and the service was good. Enjoyed the wait staff's singing. The biggest drawback was the food. It was ok but in a neighborhood with dozens of great Italian restaurants I'd hope for better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatitupDined on 7/7/2014This was our third trip to Victors, outstanding service, great food and drink and AriasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceTonyVIPDined on 6/29/2014All six of our dinner party had a wonderful experience. Our waitress Dominique sang and all of our mouths dropped, we never expected the voice that came out of her. She hit notes clearly and without reaching for them. We celebrated two birthdays and the wait staff sang the best Happy Birthday song I have ever heard in a restaurant. You must check out this establishment.I would recommend this to a friend.
- bossmanDined on 6/28/2014I have never been disappointed dining at Victor Café; where else can you dine while enjoying excellent (free) classical singing/classical music? Mostly, though, this is the place where I proposed marriage to my loving wife! I look forward to dining at Victor's again - soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb service, superb singingJimboDined on 6/27/2014We do not go to the Victor Café for the food, but it certainly will not disappoint you. We went for the music and the singing servers are quite talented with a nice range of Opera as well as classics like Cole Porter. But the same servers were also amazingly gracious, responsive, and professional. I do not expect other restaurants to get singers, but they sure could benefit from such servers.Special Features:
- Great..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014A must do when in Philadelphia. EXCELLENT food, service, value and did we mention the beautiful operatic voices. A delightful surprise and wonderful highlight of our trip to the city of brotherly and sisterly love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good effort but not quite the same!ShouldhavebeenbornItalianDined on 6/27/2014I have been to Victor's now about 6-7 times. My wife's family all lives in South Philly until the last one died a couple of years ago. I love Italians and Italian food. Though my wife's family, I have learned to love opera. That is what makes Victor's so special. Four of the waiters/waitresses sang 1-2 times each when we were there Friday night with some good friends. The wife of that couple is also Italian-American and as we talked on the way home, there seems to be something missing from prior experiences. For instance, our waitress was in marketing and only performs at Victor's as she cannot make a living doing opera. There were server personnel that did not sing and the menu seemed not as extensive as we had remembered. Good time anywaySpecial Features:
- YummyFoodyDined on 6/24/2014no matter how many times I come here, I have good food, good service and great entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014The food was excellent and the staff was phenomenal! The music was out of this world and everything was at a very reasonable price. I would recommend this gem to everyone (and I have to everyone I have seen since!).Special Features:
- Enchanting musical diningCharlesMarie2Dined on 6/21/2014It was our first time dining with opera-singing waiters, many of whom had a very beautiful voice. Through the evening we discovered new arias. The locale is decorated with pictures and mementos of great singers. Diners are offered a large range of Italian specialties like veal saltimbocca and bistecca Fiorentina. Nice selection of affordable Italian wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Philadelphia gemWawzryniecDined on 6/20/2014We took my visiting cousin to the Victor Cafe because of our desire to show off something unique in Philadelphia - we were not disappointed! A great evening with a good kitchen and wonderful singing waiters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotSwi1Dined on 6/20/2014Good food, good service. Old school spot with great neighborhood atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic family favoriteMCXpcVIPDined on 6/15/2014My parents were classical musicians, and my father had a personal connection with the DiStefano family in the 70's...the Victor Cafe was his favorite restaurant. I celebrated Father's Day here and had a wonderful time. It brought back tons of great memories of my own father, and, even if you're not a classical music or opera aficionado, you'll appreciate your waiter's ability to be a great server AND sing like an angel. The food itself was very good. My cannelloni pasta was superbly thin...not at all like the thick tubes of pasta you may be used to...and the cheese/veal/spinach filling and two sauces were amazing. Nice selection of moderate wines, and good bar selection for any tastes. Great value given the performance and ambiance.Special Features:
- great spothappyVIPDined on 6/15/2014good food. good service. opera singing wait staff. I'm in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Opera DeliciosotomklinDined on 6/13/2014Victor Cafe was a delight for operatic waitstaff, its food and the ambiance these two created.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Dining Experiencepassion4fdVIPDined on 6/8/2014The combination of good Italian food with opera is a treasure. If you are an opera lover then this is the place for youSpecial Features:
- Always a Great TimesouthphillygirlVIPDined on 6/7/2014Yet again, my significant other and I dined at the restaurant on Saturday night. Never disappoints!!! Appetizers were good but the entree of tilapia was outstanding. The carmel dessert special was also a great treat. And of course, the opera brings such a great cultural feeling to the restaurant. Many great voices. Cannot wait to return.Special Features:
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/7/2014Opera-singing waiters, if you like. Very nice. Great food.Special Features:
- Always memorableAmazingDined on 6/7/2014This was my 3rd time at Victor's and the first for my parents, sister, and 10 yo daughter. EVERYONE enjoyed themselves tremendously. The serenading by the staff is always the highlight of the evening! The food continuously amazes me. This time the salted caramel gelato was the star of the meal! Highly recommend to anyone who enjoys arias and Italian food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.