The Veranda on Highland
2220 Highland Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35205Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
The Veranda on Highland
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.verandaonhighland.com/
- Phone: 2059395551x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner:Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Live Jazz Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer catering for small, intimate gatherings and large galas alike. Please call to discuss pricing and availability.
- Private Party Facilities: Our historic building is a beautifully renovated Southern home, with a collection of rooms providing guests with the perfect space to host private functions. Whether you are looking to have a business meeting, luncheon, party or wedding, we will facilitate all of your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Stan Reynolds 8889896607
A word from The Veranda on Highland
We take a rustic, southern approach to fine dining while offering an extensive selection of fine wines and hand-crafted cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Veranda on Highland - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
The Veranda on Highland reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (25)romantic (20)great for brunch (15)fit for foodies (14)neighborhood gem (14)notable wine list (13)good for groups (9)great for outdoor dining (8)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- RojoRojoVIPDined on 7/20/2014This was a fabulous location for a brunch celebrating the birthday of my niece with family. I will come back here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely brunch spot.Neurad1Dined on 7/20/2014We really enjoy brunch at the Veranda. The jazz band is entertaining without being too obtrusive. The service is attentive and appropriately formal, but still warm. The food is very good, though I miss some of the Tex-Mex themed/flavored dishes that they have offered in the past. I had the shrimp and grits and really wish all restaurants would take the tails off the shrimp...We lived in Charleston for many years (ground zero for shrimp and grits) and I never remember having to remove the tails myself. The devilled eggs are good but the filling was a bit bland. A larger variety of bread in the bread basket would be nice (all we recieved was cornbread). Folks eating with me really enjoyed the duck confit, "Southern Breakfast".Special Features:
- Just plain creepyTable42Dined on 7/19/2014American Horror Story is what came to mind walking in and during our dinner. The vibe of the place was just plain creepy. The Swordfish was just ok and my husband's filet was 'good'. The waiter was good but again creepy. Sorry but I literally kept waiting for everyone to turn toward my husband and I with outstretched arms and zombie shuffle. I don't want to be mean, just honest. The food was just ok and I don't think I'll ever go back.
- Special girl brunchBoobooDined on 7/13/2014I always love to come to Sunday Brunch at Veranda when I am visiting Birmingham. The food is always delicious; the music wonderful; and the service impeccable! I love to bring my mom for a special girl time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!lovegoodfoodDined on 7/10/2014Veranda ranks right up there with Highland's Bar and Grill, Hot'n Hot Fish Club, Ocean, and Daniel George. A great meal, wonderful service, and fine atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findAngelaandSteveDined on 7/6/2014Googled "fine southern dining" when we knew our route fr Chicago to destin, fl. We settled on the Veranda and were so glad we did! Loved our meal, cocktail and server. A must do when in Birmingham! Shrimp n grits are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable food, service to matchNiwinooVIPDined on 6/27/2014We were visiting from out of town and happened to find The Veranda on Open Table with great reviews - and we weren't disappointed! What a fantastic restaurant, with impeccable service (Mr. Davis is a stand out!!) that heightens the delectable dining experience. We did the chef's tasting and were surprised at every course by the giant sizes of the portions, but grateful because of how delicious each course was. If we ever return to Birmingham, we'll make sure that our plans allow for a trip to The Veranda - it's THAT good! Among all of the nearly-equally yummy dishes, I have to point out the confit duck with greens and the deconstructed shrimp cocktail - I've been dreaming about them both! And the grits were stellar.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014This was our fourth time to this restaurant. Previously we were delighted with everything from the specialty cocktails through dessert. Our meals were not bad. However they were not exceptional. My filet, although cooked medium, was still tough. My wife's fish was not very flavorful. Again, not bad, but simply average.Special Features:
- Great experienceJcrew2334Dined on 6/19/2014My wife and I visited for the first time on our 10 year anniversary and had a wonderful experience. The food was great and the atmosphere was perfect. The bartender was very helpful with providing us information about the Birmingham area and events since we are new to the area. The owner was there at the bar also and even gave us a free order of crab cakes which I highly recommend. We will definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome special occasiongenahDined on 6/15/2014This was my second visit. Took a freind for Father's Day we both had chicken and waffles. Chicken was over cooked but we still enjoyed. Great service. Wish the band would play the entire length of brunch hours! Would definately go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not meet usual expectationsbrunchqueenDined on 6/15/2014This is a favorite spot of ours and we have had such good experiences with dinner and brunch in the past that we have very high expectations for the food. Unfortunately our experience this time was just okay. I'm hoping they were just overwhelmed with a busy Father's Day brunch crowd. Otherwise the new chef does not meet the standard that the former chef set so high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Veranda is superbJoanieDined on 6/14/2014I took my husband and his Dad there the night before Father's Day to celebrate them as Dad's - also brought my sister-in-law and niece. We were treated like royalty. All of the hors d'oeuvres were sensational, as the meals. 3 of us had the seared yelllow fin tuna, and two the thick pork chops - all perfect. We had the molten chocloate cake and passion fruit cake as desserts. Great.Special Features:
- Very good, love going here!Moe83Dined on 6/8/2014My husband and I had our wedding reception here (which was wonderful) so we try to go back when we can. This was the first time we had brunch. It was very good; I got the chicken and waffles, and my husband got the steak and eggs. The service was excellent. They have a jazz band that plays during brunch which gave a nice ambiance to the whole meal. The Veranda has excellent food and we thoroughly enjoy going there.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/6/2014Service and food were surpurb. The best ambience in Birmingham. One of the few resturants in Birmingham where you can hear yourself talking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find.catwolfeDined on 5/25/2014We were in Hoover for the SEC tournament and found the Veranda searching for a place for brunch. Everyone made us feel very welcome. The food was wonderful and the Jazz band made the meal even more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 590 reviews are from the The Veranda on Highland reviews archive.
- Mothers Day BrunchcoffeeroadDined on 5/11/2014Valet parking and Hostess were all over it from the start, quickly providing service and seating nearly immediately and actually prior to my reservation time. From that first impression the visit tapered off. The brunch selection was good, not Great, with limited menu choices probably due to kitchen capacity as the restaurant is located in an historic building, they were also out of several items on the menu - a definite problem on Mother's Day to be sure! I will say the grouper dish was exemplary, the petite ribeye under cooked, the bread pudding very good. Service was stretched, the kitchen was notably slow, with extreme gaps in service between courses of the meal. with a spend of over $200 for 4, one expects much better service.Special Features:
- WonderfulMMaloneDined on 5/10/2014Fantastic meal, one of the finest in Birmingham, check it out.Special Features:
- Not as good as last visitjerniegirlDined on 5/9/2014We visited The Veranda Friday night before heading to a Broadway show as a special treat. The AC vents behind both of us were blowing full out so the server had to put napkins(?) in them to block them. I had a seafood dish with seafood in the shell. No bowl or other plate was provided for the shells. The dish was served with a charred piece of bread on top which the waiter did offer to replace. I will say that the waiter was very responsive to my request for gluten- and dairy-free options.Special Features:
- ms.foodiemsfood2458Dined on 4/18/2014very good. local veggies. several options for starters salads and main course. desserts were not our thing. drinks from bar just ok.mSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experience!Flyer30125Dined on 4/5/2014This was my first experience of dining at The Veranda. I chose the Veranda for a first date with someone new, and I was pleasantly surprised by the experience. The valet parking service was very nice. We enjoyed the great bar prior to seating, and the table was cozy and private. Our entrees were perfectly cooked, and we enjoyed some nice wine selections with our meals. The maître de and wait staff were great. Loved the old house, and I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked this place a lotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014Took my wife out for our anniversary. Great food, service was remarkable, great drink selection and wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, questionable serviceJidgeDined on 3/28/2014Our meal was fabulous but the service needs improvement. We ordered Martinis but neither tasted like what we ordered. My Cosmo tasted like pink lemonade and was served in a champagne glass. My hubby ordered a Manhattan that was served in a highball glass with a ball of ice in the center...but no cherry. He ordered a second drink before our entrees were served but didn't receive it until we had finished our meals (after we told the waiter to cancel it). This has always been a favorite dining spot for us but something is lacking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refreshing visit to Veranda!niki81Dined on 3/27/2014We had not been to Veranda since the last chef change, but we were thrilled with the new menu and thought the food was very much improved. Portions were just right and taste was delightful. The cornbread they bring to the table is a fun tough and delicious. The cocktail, wine, and bourbon selections were also fantastic. All in all, great for a couples dinner or a group. I love the elegant yet quaint atmosphere at Veranda, so it is nice to have a return to quality food.Special Features:
- Every Thing WonderfulLeftyMHVIPDined on 3/22/2014The Veranda did a great job in every respect for our group of 10 people. We look forward to having Chef Hansell's delicious food again soon. The bar staff, the wait staff, and valet were all very skilled in their work and were so friendly even going out of their way to be helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday BrunchNikiEEMBADined on 3/16/2014My friends and I love to have brunch at The Veranda. We are never disappointed with the service or the food. The shrimp beignets and salmon platter were awesome appetizers. For my entree' I had the Southern breakfast which was another winner. I will definitely continue to dine at The Veranda. The New Orleans Jazz quartet was also very good (as usual).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experienceahm514Dined on 3/16/2014Had a party of 4 visit the Veranda for Sunday Brunch. The service was excellent, the jazz band was entertaining and the food was delicious. We will be returning!Special Features:
- New Orleans in BirminghamNJDiner08648VIPDined on 3/12/2014The Veranda is pleasantly situated in a corner house. The staff are pleasant, efficient and not at all intrusive. I was made to feel as if my comfort and satisfaction were their paramount concern. The food was well prepared and well presented. The shrimp and sweet corn beignets were a treat and the sauce grebiche accompanying them almost had me canceling the rest of the meal and ordering more of the beignets. But the prawn scampi and the spiced duck breast did not disappoint at all. Having just arrived in Birmingham for business, this was a very welcoming first stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome brunch menujerniegirlDined on 3/9/2014We don't get downtown very often from Hoover but this was well worth it for a special brunch on a Sunday. They have a couple of outdoor dining options (balcony and patio), both covered so if the weather permits, ask for a table outside. They have a Jazz/Dixieland group on Sunday that adds a nice touch to the brunch atmosphere. We enjoyed the bread basket as well as the deviled eggs, beignets, ham biscuit with chow chow and the fried chicken and waffle. Great brunch place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I always enjoy brunch at theChickensaladgirlDined on 3/9/2014I always enjoy brunch at the Veranda. The eggs were so over cooked they had to be cut with a knife. The Quiche was overdone. The service was perfect. I think the kitchen staff was understaffed. Also the brunch menu needs a little updating. The shrimp and corn beignets were the highlight of the meal. Also the Bloody Mary needed some olives, celery , pickled okra!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jewel of Birminghamcooks4uVIPDined on 3/8/2014The Veranda is exceptional in all areas. Service, Selection, Ambience and Taste are superior and the southern spin on the menu is creative and delicious. My new favorite spot in Birmingham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Starting to slack in service.....DannyDined on 3/7/2014We love the Veranda, but this night was very very slow (and it was half empty!). My wife and mom shared a bottle of wine and I ordered a craft bottle of beer. Their wine came and they were almost done with their first glass and I still hadn't received my bottle. I asked my passing server if there was a problem and he said "no" and kept walking. A few minutes later I saw him again and stopped him. I said, "should I just order something else?" , as it was somewhere in the 20-25 mark just to get my beer. He again said "no" and finally went and handled it himself. And not until I got my beer, did they finally ask about appetizers. So, we were seated for 30 minutes before we even ordered an app. This is not typical, but I'm concerned.Special Features:
- Excellent fresh oysters, deliciousMaryDined on 3/6/2014Excellent fresh oysters, delicious bread and a bowl of turtle soup. Can't go wrong. My husband had the grouper entree and said it was delicious!Special Features:
- We made reservations for sixDelightedDined on 3/5/2014We made reservations for six people but arrived with 7. They were very accommodating. Our table was arranged so that we could all carry on a conversation at once. Service was notable extremely friendly. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- A++++***OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/18/2014Veranda on the Highland is our new go to restaurant for special occasions. Service is exceptional. Ambience is elegant but not too overstated. This was our second time there and I can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Night Outccody1Dined on 2/15/2014This restaurant is perfect for an intimate and romantic night out with your significant other! Fabulous food and staff! Definitely a do again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentinesmitchj50Dined on 2/14/2014Veranda had an excellent prix-fixe menu for Valentines. The fillet was perfect and the wine pairings were spot on. We arrived early to take advantage of the bar before dinner, and the cocktails were awesome as usual.Special Features:
- DrinksPastfanDined on 2/9/2014Ate there for brunch and the food and service was very good but ordered a spicy Bloody Mary and it was so bland. Has to be a contender for the worst I've ever had!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/9/2014Here on business and found great reviews on the web. I was in search of a place to enjoy fine dining and music. You have first class operation. Will come again when business allows. Thanks to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch Ever!GinnyDined on 2/2/2014Loved the unique menu! The fried chicken on a waffle was to die for!! I thought the menu was a little heavy on bacon and other pork products. The muffins were a welcome extra. The artisan cheese plate was the perfect starter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchDiningEdDined on 1/26/2014We really enjoyed our food served in a very pleasant venue by an attentive waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.