The Venetian Restaurant
3663 Voltaire St.
San Diego, CA 92106Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
The Venetian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.venetian1965.com/
- Phone: (619) 223-8197
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm Dinner
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:00 pm - 9:30 pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Frank Giacolone
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Book our authentic cellar room for parties up to 16. Perfect for celebrating a special occassion with family and friends, a private business meeting, or just a fun family dinner.
A word from The Venetian Restaurant
The Venetian’s award-winning Italian cuisine (including what critics call some of San Diego’s best pizza), relaxed setting and casual atmosphere have earned generations of fans since Vince Giacalone first welcomed customers in 1965. Sons Joey and Frank proudly continue their family traditions, making sausage, soups and sauces from scratch and drawing a devoted, all-ages clientele. Highlights of the menu include bruschetta, seafood pastas, chicken and veal piccata, and thick- or thin-crust pizzas with either traditional or trendy toppings. Located in Point Loma, The Venetian’s friendly service and “Cheers” style vibe make it a favorite destination for date night, happy hour, dinner with friends or family celebrations. Seating includes the lively bar and patio (great for families and larger parties); comfy booths and banquettes; and a private wine cellar that can be reserved for parties of up to 16. Dinner nightly; lunch Monday-Friday; Sunday brunch; full bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Venetian Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Point Loma ›
The Venetian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (11)good for groups (10)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (7)romantic (6)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great minestrone soup and chicken picattaAnnieDined on 11/17/2014This is a terrific neighborhood restaurant. The sauces are very good, the salad nice and fresh, and the minestrone soup is outstanding. They have recently redecorated the indoor area, and expanded the enclosed patio section, and it really looks nice. At peak times it can be pretty noisy, but when we were there late on a weekend it was nice and quiet. The people who and operate this restaurant are the real deal, and it's a pleasure to support them and dine well. We especially like their pizza (my husband likes the thick crust but I prefer the thin crust). The chicken picatta is great, as is the lasagna and ravioli. They recently changed from rather plain rolls with a nice herbed butter in a little crock, to very delicious garlic bread that is served nice and warm. The service is friendly and attentive, and they really try hard to make every customer feel welcome and valued. I would recommend this restaurant highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new findTwoTravelersDined on 11/15/2014I found the restaurant via the Internet, looking for something within driving distance from hotel. Made reservations, via Internet and showed up on time . The hostess seemed lost. I wasn't exactly greeted with cheer and she didn't seem to know where to put me, although upon entering I saw three empty booths and several empty tables. She had to ask my name and then walked over to a computer terminal. She got the menus and said here, mentioning a booth, plopped down the menus and walked away. After that little treat, the food server came by and the evening ran exceptionally well, The server was professional and saw to our needs. The food was very good I would visit the restaurant again, if only for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch or DinnerBarrieSueDined on 11/10/2014I am wondering if there was a lunch a menu to look at as it seemed as though we only got a dinner menu as the prices seemed a bit high for lunch. Otherwise, I love the Venetian!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So delicious and fun!GoodFoodGoodFunVIPDined on 11/8/2014We always have such a wonderful time at the Venetian and the food (as always) was delicious!Special Features:
- The VenetianDominique55VIPDined on 11/8/2014Great Italian food; just wish it wasn't so terribly noisy and wish they had better bread. Hint: try Trader Joe's half-baked sourdough baguette, bake it 10 minutes & serve hot with olive oil befitting an Italian restaurant. (Their bread is flat, cold & hard in about 1 minute.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VenetianDominique55VIPDined on 9/27/2014Went on a Saturday night; extremely noisy but food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeDined on 9/24/2014It was my wife & I's 3 year anniversary, this was our 2nd time we celebrated it at the Venetian. We've enjoyed every signal time we've been, and we've been there at least 10 other times within the last year. The very best Italian restaurant we've ever experienced. We look forward going back again very soon. Great job Venetian!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingTonyDined on 9/20/2014We have been to this restaurant before but on Saturday night we were disappointed. We ordered a cheese and olive pizza and it was so heavy and greasy we threw most of it away. I remembered loving the eggplant parm but it was only average. Service was great.Special Features:
- warm welcome.....teenVIPDined on 9/19/2014and great food! our first time dining will not be our last. katlyn, was so delightful with us, so welcoming and attentive and our server jeanne was equally attentive to our dining adventure. very comfortable and you have the feeling of "home cooked" dishes and family fun around you. can't wait to try some other menu items.Special Features:
- VenetianDominique55VIPDined on 9/13/2014If you like Italian food, this is the place to go. Best calamari steak I've ever had - so tender! Other great dishes were veal parmigiana, chicken fettucine, etc. You must split between 2, the tiramisu dessert - also the best! Great food & reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Great recommendationKiwisDined on 8/30/2014I was recommended to try The Venetian by a passenger sitting next to me on a flight from Honolulu to San Diego and was most definitely pleased that I took my family along to check it out. We all really loved it. We ordered 3 pizzas and a couple of salads and had way too much food but was more than happy to take home the leftovers. We will most certainly be back in the very near future now that we've discovered it!Special Features:
- Very Good Food Friendly ServiceMtns2lakesDined on 8/30/2014Parking is a challenge in this neighborhood, so allow 5-10 minutes extra. We ordered a pizza and a pasta dish. Both were above average in taste and texture and generous in the serving size. Both were served piping hot. The only average dish was the Caesar Salad. The dressing seemed to be very bland, but the lettuce was fresh. The provided garlic bread was light and very tasty. We will gladly return.Special Features:
- Fav family run Italian restaurantmartinitomDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I never tire of this great family run neighborhood restaurant. It is one of our favorite casual places to go for a good Italian dinner on Friday or Saturday night. And, the owner is always there and makes the rounds to make sure everything is good by his customers. The service is always excellent and the bar makes great drinks. I am a martini freak and the bartenders never fail to make the best by far compared to even the high price places. We always get a booth, so it can be very private if you want. And, it is moderately priced. I almost hate to spread the word too much for fear it will get to much attention! Tom & DawnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedlavernoVIPDined on 8/17/2014I am new to San Diego. This restaurant is right down the street from me and I decided to give it a try. The 3 of us were pleasantly surprised. The food is delicious! Wine list is decent. Service was wonderful. So glad we found this place!!!Special Features:
- The Best in TownTonyTonyDined on 8/15/2014As always the Venetian delivered great food and great service. I feel fortunate to have this resturant down the street from me. Cheers, Tony R.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Italian FoodMikeDined on 8/5/2014My wife and I have been to the Venetian Restaurant many times after discovering it about 1 1/2 years ago. It's the absolute best Italian Restaurant in San Diego, as I am very"picky" about Italian food. We've recently taken family & close friends to experience the great food, they all love the Venetian and will surely be back time and time again in the future. I can always count on great food, great service and just an all around fantastic dinning experience. Thanks to all at the Venetian, superb job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Venetian RestaurantDeeDeeDined on 8/1/2014The Fettuccine Alfredo was exquisite and the pizza was great. I have been eating at this restaurant for 20 years and never disappointed with the food or service. Great Italian food and scrumptious deserst - cheesecake and Tiramisu. Neighborhood Gem!Special Features:
- Lovely atmosphere great foodImmarjDined on 7/26/2014Dining at the venetian was excellent. Don't let the outside fool you. Great food and wine are served here. I had chicken Marsala that was excellent. The tiramisu was the best I ever had. We went for my boyfriend's birthday and it was busy that night but still quiet enough to be romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 32 reviews are from the The Venetian Restaurant reviews archive.
- Eating here since 1985BeautifulGoddessDined on 6/22/2014I have been eating at the Venetian since 1985 when I worked next door in my early 20s. We celebrated birthdays with a pizza, which are fabulous, to share. Their food has been great all these years. If you love scallops they have THE BEST that I have ever tasted. They don't over cook them and they are succulent. I rarely order anything other than the linguini with clams and scallops in white sauce. The calamari strips are the best also. I always say I'm going to order a couple of servings and make it dinner but I always order more food because it is so good! One meal here will make 2 if you don't eat it all so you definitely get your money's worth. Tell them Lisa Catlin sent you!Special Features:
- Good Service Bad Italian FoodSurfersteve79VIPDined on 6/6/2014Brought the family here for a quick dinner since it was semi-near the airport on our way home. The decor was pretty nice for a little italian place tucked away in Point Loma. Our server and bus boy were both very polite and friendly. Timing of food was good too but that's all about I can say. The food was pretty mediocre to even bad. It was also overpriced for the quality. You don't serve shrimp scampi battered and fried! My chicken marsala reminded me of my first attempt at making myself in 7th grade home-ec. The kids pizza was also pretty so so. Maybe ok if you live within a few blocks of this place if you're absolutely craving italian though there are many better choices elsewhere in San Diego.Special Features:
- Great FoodFVDINNERDined on 5/25/2014Was visiting the San Diego area. Great place, the portions are generous. Definitely a place to go back to.Special Features:
- Terrific treatCeeCeeDined on 5/13/2014Our long-time Italian restaurant closed and we were searching for a place to be our "regular, go-to" restaurant. The Venetian was recommended by a friend. We had two of the best pizzas ever and can't wait to return for the Veal Marsala. The waitress was friendly, prompt and just the right amount of attentive. It was quite a drive but well worth it. Will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always comfortingiZenDiegoVIPDined on 5/9/2014We have been going here for years. Comfort Italian food, family friendly, generous portions and an overall "go to" choice for us when we are tired, hungry and need a break. We love the wait staff. Always smiling and helpful. Almost always get Linguini with Clams (white broth style) and Chicken Parmesan and are always pleased. Never leave hungry. make sure to get a reservations (Open table!) as they get very busy in the evenings and it consistently saves us what can be a long wait.Special Features:
- Absolutely Delicious!GoodFoodGoodFunVIPDined on 5/3/2014The food was amazing and we had the best service. Love going to the Venetian!Special Features:
- KkjsdDined on 4/19/2014Great food, great service. Waitress, Gabby provided excellent service.Special Features:
- Delicious Classic SelectionsSamWOWVIPDined on 3/30/2014The evening was delicious and fun with family. There were so many delicious choices, although I didn't find many protein options that weren't breaded. The staff was very attentive but at times too attentive we had four different servers and one peaked her head around the tiny booth every fives minutes. Other than that it was a great evening out!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Ordinary ItalianSilverlakeDinerDined on 3/21/2014The Venetian proved a disappointment after reading the mostly positive reviews on Open Table. We felt misled. This is a very ordinary Italian. The pizza was the worst dish we ordered. The base appeared to have been cooked separately, the topping added later, and then uncooked (rather tough) slices of tomato added as garnish. Service was pleasant.
- Great option tucked awayumbowlerDined on 3/19/2014Chose this location due to size of party (14) and willingness to accept reservation. THANK GOODNESS!!! One of the best Italian dining experiences ever! Better than Little Italy options..........great service, great prices.........HUGE portions. Will return again and again during visits to San Diego!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Wonderful!GoodFoodGoodFunVIPDined on 3/8/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at the Venetian. The food was absolutely outstanding and the staff couldn't have taken better care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014Our family came to the Venetian when I was a little kid. Now run by the next generation, it was a good experience from the start to be greeted at the door by the owner. We were a family group of 10 which did not seem to fluster the staff at all. The food was delicious, generous, served correctly and people at tables around us seemed happy and satisfied also. The goal here seems to support return customers, unlike more touristy places which assume you'll never be back. I really can't think of anything negative - for a quieter environment there is a separate side of the restaurant - everyone should be happy!Special Features:
- My boyfriend and I both loveKiwiDined on 2/22/2014My boyfriend and I both love Italian food so we did a local search to find a place near our house. The Venetian had good reviews so we decided to try it. The first thing we noticed however was that it was extremely loud inside and there wasn't the best waiting area for guests waiting to be seated. We didn't want to get in the way of the servers haha. The wine was good and the server was attentive. Maybe we have high expectations but weI thought the food was good, not outstanding. If you're looking for a place to get your Italian food fill it isn't a bad choice though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local gemMogFamOutingDined on 2/21/2014Great find! We had reservations and our table was ready when we arrived: Which was great b/c it's hard to dine out with kids sometimes. The staff was friendly and provided a welcoming environment: Very helpful when we needed it. The food was terrific. The recommendations from Yelp did not disappoint. One guest is usually disappointed with veal parm. so he ordered the chicken parm, but after tasting someone else's veal parm, he was pleasantly surprised at the tenderness of the meat. We would definitely recommend the Venetian to our friends, family, and neighbors who haven't discovered this local gem. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good and serviceGinocamDined on 2/15/2014Food was very good and service was excellent. I found the (outside) patio area very chilly .they need to either turn on the heat or heaters, which might be tough since it is enclosed. Overall it was good.Special Features:
- mushroomsvalentineDined on 2/14/2014I had the chicken Marsala. It said sautéed worth mushrooms, so I thought I was okay. I absolutely dislike mushrooms, and when I got it, it was COVERED in mushrooms. Kind of ruined my appetite. I ended up spending $100 and definitely not worth it. So sad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So amazing!GoodFoodGoodFunVIPDined on 2/1/2014We are quickly becoming regulars at The Venetian because it doesn't seem to matter what we order everything is delicious! Such a great restaurant with excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Essential ItalianPattyDined on 1/24/2014When in the need for some flavorful, abundant, and tasty homemade sauces for your pasta selection, go to Italy. Barring the 15 hour flight head on over to the Venetian. Joe and Frank host a very simple and traditional Italian menu which reflects their heritage and hasn't a bad item on it. The linguini pasta selections are the best of a very well prepared and productive kitchen. Nicely comfortable in a newly remodeled interior, the Old World comes alive in a culinary hot spot in Point Loma/Ocean Beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantJoKellDined on 12/31/2013Lovely food, plenty of it, for a reasonable price, would recommend it!Special Features:
- Server Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2013The service was very good - the server tolerated our large group with two rambunkcious (sp) children with a smile. The food was very good bu nott inspired. Better for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We moved here in 2011 fromAuthenticDined on 12/31/2013We moved here in 2011 from Central NY, where good Italian restaurants abound. Here, not so much. The Venetian is terrific, exactly what we were accustomed to in NY. The service is always friendly and the food consistent and authentic. It is my favorite restaurant in San Diego, and we have tried many of them. We bring visitors from the East here all the time. Gabby was our waitress on 12/31; she was terrific, just like all the servers are there. Try The Venetian; you will not be disappointed. Great for take out, too! All the locals know and rave about this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Classic!DeedDined on 12/6/2013This is a classic spot in Point Loma. Good food, good service. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.