570 Vanderbilt Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11238Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thevanderbiltnyc.com/
- Phone: 7186230570x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner 5pm to 11pm Every Night
Brunch 10am to 3pm Saturday & Sunday
Happy Hour 5 to 7pm Monday through Friday &
11pm to 12:30am Thursday through Saturday
The kitchen closes between brunch and dinner, but the bar stays open.
Hours and menus are subject to change for holidays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Saul Bolton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: The Vanderbilt offers special dinners, beer events, and back room viewing parties throughout the year. Join our mailing list or check our website to stay up to date with The Vanderbilt in the future.
- Cross Street: Bergen
- Public Transit: We are located half a mile or less from three stations; 7th Avenue B,Q, Bergen 2,3 and Clinton Washington C station. Plus, we are under a mile from Barclay's and Atlantic Terminal and the B65 stops right outside of the restaurant!
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from The Vanderbilt
THE VANDERBILT opened its doors on October 23, 2009. It was designed with the casual comfort of a neighborhood restaurant/bar with market-inspired New American bar fare by Chef Saul Bolton (also of SAUL Restaurant, Red Gravy & Brooklyn Bangers). Emphasizing seasonal, local, and quality ingredients, the menu consists of snacks, small plates, and big plates--including house-made sausages. With serious, sophisticated food and a beverage program to match, we offer a less formal atmosphere without sacrificing standards.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Vanderbilt - Best Restaurants in Prospect Heights ›
The Vanderbilt reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (11)fit for foodies (10)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for brunch (5)romantic (4)late-night find (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (4)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Great neighborhood spitRollergirl930Dined on 9/14/2014Yummy brunch! The potatoes are delicious and so is the eggs benedict. The brunch prefixe is a good deal! Drinks are super tasty.Special Features:
- Good local spotBrooklynreviewerDined on 8/30/2014Good food and service combine with pleasant ambiance to make this place very enjoyable. There is a changing array of well prepared dishes. All in all, I do not think that you can go wrong here. We will be back.Special Features:
- Brewery NightjdbkDined on 8/28/2014Stopped by last Thursday for an 8 course Peekskill Brewery pairing night. Food was delicious and the beer pairings we equally as good. Recommend The Vanderbilt for dinner or drinks and a snack.Special Features:
- who needs manhattanBigJim1Dined on 7/18/2014I'm not a brooklyn resident but a place like the vanderbilt makes me wish I was. Waitress actually triaged the menu--identified her "favorites" and acknowledged her lesser choices without being condescending ("People love that beer but it's a bit hoppier than I prefer....).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch seemed averageBrooklynreviewerDined on 7/6/2014I had eaten in the restaurant July 4th, and had a very good meal. This motivated me to return for brunch, a couple of days later. Brunch was satisfactory but undistinguished. No problems, but I found the meal at best to be OK. The place is pleasant and the staff is good. I would not hesitate to return, but probably in the evening for dinner, when the menu is more to my liking. Some good friends keep coming back, and I will as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad..DamonsListDined on 6/26/2014The food and drinks were pricey for this part of Brooklyn. They lacked a good selection of standard liquor brands.Special Features:
- Nice Quiet timeGreggDined on 6/6/2014Our reservation was for 5 PM on a Friday. It was nice & quiet, and we could talk without a problem. In fact, there were only a couple of other diners there and a family coming as we left. This is a later-evening place, which is good to know. Great drink & wine selection. The food menu is limited, and I think we could expand the offerings here. Calamari was great to stat and the burgers were very well prepared and tasty. Prices were good for the neighborhood, not out of line. With 3 glasses of excellent wine each and two meals, plus appetizer, it was $80. I would definitely recommend the Vandy!Special Features:
- Poor service, average burgerLJ75Dined on 5/30/2014We had a very rude waitress who made us feel bad for almonds we received in error and began eating as we assumed they were complimentary. I also don't think she smiled once. The burger was also not as good as the ones we get at wholefoods and cook at home. A real pity since the ambience is lovely.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/30/2014Well-prepared food at reasonable prices. Service was a bit disorganized.
- The following 31 reviews are from the The Vanderbilt reviews archive.
- Fantasticgatsby1961Dined on 5/18/2014What a pleasure this was. It is always diffcult to find reservations for groups of 10 and when you do, you don't know what to expect. In this case, only the best: great service (from our hostess to the waitress and bus boys) great food and perfect ambiance for a sunday brunch. It will be part of great memories from our long weekend in NYC. Thanks.Special Features:
- UnimpressiveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/17/2014Visited not long after opening in 2010, just returned in 2014. Was impressed then; alas, now it's ok but nothing worth seeking out. Chewy pork belly that should have been succulent, standard issue sausages, tired salad. The only standouts were lovely brussels sprouts. Each item on this menu is better done elsewhere, making the offering here a patchwork of borrowed dishes inexpertly rendered.
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014I think it's a good neighborhood restaurant. The food was good. The menu was a bit limited. Nice choice of beer and wine.Special Features:
- Saturday BrunchELMSDined on 4/12/2014Outdoor seating was fantastic. Service was a bit slow and uncoordinated - it took a long time to receive drinks and food, there was even a wrong order, but the server was great about making sure it wasn't on the bill and that we got a complimentary drink. Food was good, not great. It seems like a place that I might try again when it isn't slammed with a weekend crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/10/20144 of us ate here, the food is great!! We tasted 3 of their sausages, the jerky and pork belly. All were perfect! I had the salmon entree. It was also very good. They played great music, super friendly service and we loved the decor!!! Our next stop in NY we will def go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so service, so so foodSkootchDined on 4/1/2014the usual bad service found in mediocre restaurants ---At the Vanderbilt, two of us received dinner and waited while our food got cold for the third in our party to receive hers ---and that was only 5 minutes later when I got up to look for the waiter who was completely unaware that he had neglected to make sure we were all served at the same time or in close sequence. Place was freezing ---did they decide we didn't need heat? -- small plates are absurdly small for the price, they should fire the company that supplies their hamburger rolls. Just another new Bklyn restaurant resting on its location laurels. I am one of those Brooklyn foodies who had already been ambivalent about this rest. (mixed reviews) and do not plan to go back.
- It's generally a good lookingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/15/2014It's generally a good looking space, but the service was lacking - a very pleasant waitress who unfortunately ignored us for most of the evening - maybe overstaffed or something. The fried duck wings and brussel sprouts were delicious, but one of the mussels we ordered was spoiled - which kind of put us off the whole meal.
- Paleo friendlyProfDined on 3/1/2014While looking for restaurant with options for friends following the paleo diet I was intrigued by the menu at the Vanderbilt. Sent friends the link to the menu and options did not disappoint. Foods was wonderful, back room with walls covered with wood made the experience truly wonderful since we could actually carry on a conversation. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great StaffPaddyMatDined on 2/27/2014The waitresses were great, most pleasant. My friends and I went during Beer week in NYC and the waitress was most helpful in explaining the various beers on the menu. She had made excellent suggestions. The atmosphere was great, very comfortable. A helpful hint, the stools around the tables are very high and, after three or four pints, well . . .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't Live up to ExpectationsPepperLoverDined on 2/17/2014I'd been looking forward to dinner at the Vanderbilt, and sadly was pretty disappointed. The space is pretty, dark wood etc, and is really working the "gastropub" vibe. The menu is small and sounds delicious. "Crispy pork belly with cheddar grits" sounds amazing. But the pork belly was pretty much inedible, the fat barely rendered and only the thinnest layer of meat at the bottom. I'm down with a silky smooth fatty pork belly, this was just a chunk of lard. Sadly, the service was spotty at best. Our waitress seemed preoccupied and spacey, and brought the wrong drink orders. She did not clear our appetizer plates when the mains came out, and a request for bread never came through. For this price I expect more. Disappointed overall.
- awesome food to match great beermowen09VIPDined on 2/16/2014Went for Brunch with some family from out of town, we were all very impressed with everything - food, drink and service! Will be back soon!Special Features:
- V-Day BonanzaRobSDined on 2/14/2014Went here for Valentine's Day. Typical issues with the food...low quality vs. the usual high quality you get here. Service was still excellent though.Special Features:
- Slow food service/not great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014Vday tasting menu. Food came out sporadic and had to get our second round of drinks comp'd. But since you're paying for tasting menu you would think kitchen would be prepared for it, if not get rid of some tables and serve less ppl at a time if you can't handle the volume. Food finally came out but one of dishes came out cold and had to send back. Didn't really receive any apologies. Other restaurants are available all over Brooklyn, won't go back until I hear improvements are made.
- DisappointedVeggieHeavenVIPDined on 2/14/2014I dined at the original Saul's restaurant for many years and expected the food to be just as good. However, my duck entree was not as fresh, not as tasty and it was a small portion. The flour less chocolate cake was good but the too sweet maraschino cherries spoiled the taste. I enjoyed the Brussel sprouts and beet salad; they were tasty and fresh. The seating set-up was poor. My guest was seated at a corner seat that was less than 2 feet away from the nearby table. Since there was a constant flow of servers with plates and guests passing by, it was highly uncomfortable for my guest for the concern of a server or guest bumping into him in the small space between the tables. The restaurant host was not friendly.
- Good Scene, OK food, May Try AgainBadekoyaDined on 1/18/2014Good food but nothing spectacular.The brussell sprouts were amazing, but everything else we ordered was just OK. To be clear, nothing was bad: the cheddar bratwurst was tasty but par for the course, the meatballs were decent (if a little on the bland side) and the deviled eggs were, again, just OK. Perhaps it was unfair expectations on my part but considering the hype - and some of their pricing - I expected to be wowed. The service was lacking as well. Once orders were placed, the level of attention we received was great. However, the initial wait to order drinks was frustrating + only compounded by the fact that we then had to wait another 20 minutes before being asked for our order (despite having closed menus). saturday night rush?Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/18/2014All the food we had was amazing and the waitress heard my mom say it was her birthday and brought over our dessert with a candle in it! How nice!Special Features:
- Thanks for a great time!kgraebsDined on 1/10/2014Food was great, ambience was fantastic as well. Our server seemed to be a bit preoccupied, but we had a great time nonetheless. Drinks were delish, but could have been delivered a bit quicker. The manager, Timothy, was very friendly and attentive. Try the duck wings! They were so yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyonesadiebrooklynDined on 1/4/2014Great beer and wine list - my vegetarian husband really enjoyed the pasta. The french fries are divine! Very nice place for a casual meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- semi-bummerspbklynDined on 12/31/2013ate here on new year's eve. open entering the restaurant, host gave us an unfriendly, bored look. we were seated promptly. the atmosphere is warm and inviting. first course was their specialty, spicy brussel sprouts -- it was delicious. wine pairings arrived late. chestnut soup was delicious. main course, a fish dish, was inedible. dessert wasn't a winner either. waiter was nice but pretty inattentive. we won't be returning. shame!
- How good is anything New Years Eve?ChelseaVIPDined on 12/31/2013It's NYEve, what do expect? Believe me, eating was the least important part the night, we were off to the Barclay Center to see Biily Joel! What food??? I would imagine The Vanderbuilt would b really good any other night. Loved the ambience- nice and cozy- gastropub for sure. The female bartender from England was informative and most knowledge about wines and just about anything we asked her...... She said her name-sorry, too many drinks :-) Will def returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years Pre FixesoccersoccerDined on 12/31/2013Went here for a New Years Dinner. Amazing food and amazing wine pairing!I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYE pre-showTCDinerVIPDined on 12/31/2013This was our first time at this restaurant. We had tickets to a concert and this was a good location for a pre-show dinner. Since it was NYE, they were offering only a prix fixe menu for $68/pp. We were seated quickly and had a good view of the bar. The food was hit-and-miss, with some dishes (brussels sprouts, roasted duck breast, swordfish) outstanding, others (chicken liver toast, chestnut soup) good, and some (braised fennel, apple fritters) completely forgettable. Service was much the same: while friendly and speedy, left us baffled when we had to ask for spoons for our soup and to have our water glasses refilled. I don't mind paying for an expensive meal, but when I do, I hope for a correspondingly higher level of performance.Special Features:
- Convenient to Barclays CenterDomi111VIPDined on 12/31/2013We wouldn't have come if we weren't going to the Barclays Center, which is a short drive away. The food is good, not stellar. I've already forgotten what we ate. The restaurant space is a few steps down -not wheelchair accessible, unless you want to eat in the bar (I don't). The space was also freezing, and several diners had to complain before they turned the heat up. I doubt we'll be back when there are so many great places in the area.
- Great StapleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/13/2013Love it here -- the food is consistent and the staff is very friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vanderbilt is awesome!KP28Dined on 12/9/2013Where do I start? The place is very comfortable from the moment you walk in. The bar area is large and comfortable. The dining area is in the back down a few steps in a room that is open, warm and relaxing. The music was relaxing and not too loud to interrupt conversation. The waiter we had was simply awesome. Responsive and comfortable making recommendations. The appetizers were very tasty, particularly the Brussel Sprouts salad. It was made unlike any I have ever tasted. It was so good, we ordered it twice. The burger was cooked well. The potatoes were amazing, as well. I know I could never make food this good at home. Plenty of other choices in the area but with service and the food, I would return here first.Special Features:
- The French Toast is delicious.TweetieDined on 12/8/2013The French Toast is delicious. You don't even need the syrup. The bacon tasted very good except it was just way too fatty for me. The beignets were good as well but i felt like the dough needed to be just a tad bit sweeter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foood good, service not as goodNYCFoodieVIPDined on 11/23/2013Overall food was good. My burger was undercooked. Asked for medium rare and it came rare. Better that way than being served well done. Service was spotty. Server was friendly and knowledgeable however delivery of both drinks and main course too longer than it should have. Ketchup was served cold. Thereby turning a warm burger into a cool burger. Yet water was served room temperature, needing ice just to get it to coldish.
- Cozy, Tasty and FriendlyrunrogVIPDined on 11/19/2013Through the years the Vanderbilt continues to shine. They recently re-jiggered the menu to be more starters/mains/sides than their old small/medium/large setup but the stalwart items remain - the brussels sprouts, the meatballs and the house-made sausages. They also continue to wow with the rotating specialty-cocktail menu and great selection of craft beers. On top of all this, the service is consistently excellent. Attentive, friendly and fun.Special Features:
- Try the brussel sprouts!djdjDined on 11/16/2013Brussel sprouts and beef jerky were a highlight, and the mocktails were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent dinnerChrissyDined on 11/16/2013Best brussels sprouts in town, pork meatballs are superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Good ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/13/2013The food and cocktails were great - nothing fancy or unexpected but the quality was there. We got the duck wings and the brussels sprouts to start. The duck wings were perfect, brussels sprouts perhaps a bit overdone for my taste but good flavor. I had the skate wing and my dining companions both got the meatballs - all very very good. Service was excellent and the dining room was quiet, we could easily hold a conversation. We did go there on a Wednesday night around 8:30pm so not sure what it'd be like on the weekends. The only reason I gave four stars for ambience is that we were all very cold throughout the whole meal, the place was chilly, and were dressed warmly, too. Overall, good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.