The Valley Inn - Brooklandville
10501 Falls Rd.
Lutherville, MD 21093Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Valley Inn - Brooklandville
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 4108280002x
- Hours of Operation:
Everyday 1130- Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Valley Inn - Brooklandville
From the owners of The Oregon Grill.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
The Valley Inn - Brooklandville - Best Restaurants in Lutherville ›
The Valley Inn - Brooklandville reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (61)great for lunch (37)vibrant bar scene (23)special occasion (16)fit for foodies (13)hot spot (12)good for groups (12)romantic (9)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- 3rd time's a charmmykitchenisclosedVIPDined on 8/25/2014Outstanding service for a large party. Menu choices are the best around. Always ample parking. Excellent food.
- watch the extrasOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/22/2014The food here is good. The entree prices are very good but the prices on the deserts and appitizers are quite high! A bowl of steamed edamame with a little soy sauce on the side is $10! they charged us $9 for a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Asking for anything prepared special really threw the server. She had to ask the kitchen and then it came out wrong anyway. Our server last time was more efficient.
- KatieDined on 8/16/2014We dined at the Valley Inn on a Saturday night. The food was very good, as was the service. My husband and I shared a dessert which was served already divided, a very nice touch. We ate in the bar area, and it is noisy which makes conversation a bit difficult. There seemed to be some background music playing which was not needed. I have also lunched there on several occasions and found the food to be very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentmarsmobDined on 8/15/2014Valley Inn was always a favorite dining location for my parents and I was excited when it reopened. The renovations are tasteful and have kept with the historic nature of the site. The staff was receptive of our large party and placed us in a comfortable corner of the dining room. Service was excellent and timely. I was disappointed with the quality of food, though. The shrimp bisque, a specialty of evening, was inedible. The bisque had a sour taste and the shrimps were tiny and chewy. The entrees were satisfactory, not up to the quality to be expected. This was the first visit for my friends and I would not recommend a return visit.
- Got better as the night went onrascDined on 8/13/2014After reading the mixed reviews, we decided to see for ourselves. I can't say I can argue with any of the negative things anyone else wrote (the odd smell at the entrance, the older crowd, the noise--it is all true), but the meal was well made and as the night went on, the crowd changed and became younger and more energetic. The waitstaff is young and seems inexperienced, but they were all friendly and polite. The noise seems to be hard to avoid. Though the bar is separate, noise from other tables in the restaurant carries easily due to the boxy nature of the room. If a louder party is anywhere in the room, you will hear them. Not a good place for a private conversation over dinner. Otherwise, Valley Inn is worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehLilyhillVIPDined on 8/12/2014I met a friend for lunch at the Valley Inn. The lunch menu is fine -- salads and sandwiches, nothing too thrilling but plenty of good, safe offerings. The food was just like the menu: pleasant but nothing to swoon over. Biggest issue is the noise level -- it's realllllly loud. And then there are the other patrons...it's worth noting that it's a pretty 'seasoned' crowd with very few people under 60. Strangely, there were hardly any men in the place when I was there...it was just 'ladies who lunch' everywhere you looked. Our experience was ok, but there are way better restaurant options in Baltimore.
- Worth a tryjdwbaltoDined on 8/9/2014Despite the below average reviews, the four of us made a reservation to dine at the Valley Inn on 8/9/14. We found nothing major to complain about. Yes the Greeter was somewhat unpolished. The waiter was very satisfactory and polite, again, perhaps inexperienced. The appetizers and food were very good. Two of us had steak, two had fish. The place is pricey, but overall a nice change of pace, easy parking and relaxing. I will go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a noisy roomOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014LOVE the burgers. Everything Ive eaten there has been very good. Spaghetti squash as a side? Fantastic! But the noise level is deafening.Special Features:
- way too noisyreviewerVIPDined on 8/8/2014Our great service and wonderful food was spoiled by a room that is way too noisy. We found ourselves having to yell to each other and the waiter had trouble hearing us as well. You need to do something about softening the noise before I will come back. It made for a very unpleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014The crab soup was mediocre. The rest of the meal ok but not exceptional. The noise level was distracting. Service felt rushed. This should be a better restaurant, given the history of the owners, location and charm.Special Features:
- So glad to see the Valley Inn back!QuitaVIPDined on 8/3/2014The ambiance of the old inn is there but refurbished. The pictures on the walls are fun (still a horse theme), and it's comfortable. Best of all, we could hear each other talk! We were there for brunch so can't really judge all the food, but what we had was well prepared and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- Way overpriced for what it is!MimiDined on 7/29/2014While the outside of the building looks nice, the inside decor is crying to be updated, especially the bathrooms! I got the seafood cobb salad which was pretty good but small for a dinner portion. Our appetizers were tasty but three appetizers for 6 people were skimpy. One of our friends ordered the scallop entree and it was $34.00 for literally 3 scallops (not even all that big) that were wrapped in bacon. My husband ordered the gumbo which was just ok. For dessert, we shared the bread pudding which started out ok but was literally ice cold in the middle. No need to come back when there are other places that give you so much more bang for your buck.Special Features:
- CathyVIPDined on 7/29/2014We enjoyed our dinner but found the restaurant to be very noisy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday BrunchTabithaVIPDined on 7/27/2014My husband and I had brunch recently at The Valley Inn. It was our first visit since it reopened, and we were very pleased with the changes in the decor and menu. We will return for dinner soon.Special Features:
- Need to work out kinksLynnDined on 7/26/2014Has potential, but needs some attention to facility and processes. Add something to absorb sound in dining room (and turn down bar music). Kitchen and service staff need to learn how to pace better. We went for a relaxing meal and were done drinks, appetizer, and entree in 35 minutes! We decided to linger and eventually ordered dessert, but felt extremely rushed. Salad and ice cream were excellent. Other items were okay. I'd go back, but am hoping they improve before I do or probably would pass it up for other local places that know how to serve a great meal.
- in the neighborhoodlikes2eatoutVIPDined on 7/12/2014We've been to The Valley Inn twice now. The food is quite good; the service has been very good as well. How did we do without this place for so many years?Special Features:
- Great but...psychdocDined on 7/10/2014We recently went to the Valley Inn for a birthday dinner. I had asked for a quiet table as one member of our party is hearing impaired, and I had heard that the restaurant was very noisy. We had a table in the corner, right next to the kitchen. It was very loud in the restaurant and it was hard for all of us to hear each other. However, the next table was so close that it was hard to imagine that the party next to us didn't hear every word we said. We all ate from the light fare portion of the menu because the prices of the entrees seemed somewhat steep to us. That said, the food was very good and plentiful, and everyone was very satisfied with their meals. The kitchen was very accommodating to dietary changes and that was wonderful too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noiseygigiVIPDined on 7/10/2014Couldn't have a conversation. I was seated near the bar area. Food was just ok. Steak fries are big and tasteless. Not impressed.
- Valley Inn Enters the 21st centuryFoodieSueDined on 7/8/2014Rock fish dinner with Risotto was superb !!! Friends said Seafood salad was delicious, and shrimp salad was great. Lots of good healthy choices on the menu, and Bar comfort food as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST BURGER IN BALTIMOREIrvdermVIPDined on 7/5/2014Warm horse racing themed main dining room. Generous pours from the bar. Burger good size and you can taste the delicious burger with havarti cheese. Service is friendly. Ice cream deserts more than enough to share.Special Features:
- Delicious mealBMoreMimDined on 7/4/2014The vegetable stack was amazing! My daughter & I ordered that to share and they kindly divided the dish on to separate plates. Burgers were amazing & the Raspberry Chip Ice Cream was like no other! I mentioned on our OT Reservation this was a Birthday celebration for our daughter & they surprised her with a candle thoughtfully placed in the center of her ice cream dessert!Special Features:
- Avoid at all costsBmoreDinerVIPDined on 7/3/2014When I read that the historic Valley Inn had new ownership, it was an exciting prospect. The building and location are ripe with potential. Unfortunately, the interior remains dark and dank, with a lingering odor of stale urine. The bathrooms have clearly been overlooked by the new owner as well as any cleaning staff, and are unpleasant at best. The service was mediocre. The firecracker shrimp appetizer had no spark. The saving grace was the TABLT, which was a generously proportioned sandwich with what seemed to be hand-carved turkey breast, served with crisp and flavorful potato chips. I regretted the messy ahi tortillas (which were raw, yet room temperature), and the bland and slimy guacamole was inedible. Bad lunch overall--for $68.
- Just One FlawmykitchenisclosedVIPDined on 6/27/2014Outstanding menu...good variety, unusual as well as classic. Outstanding food...ample portions, nice presentation, DELICIOUS. Service...friendly, but v e r y s l o w.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, portion sizes irregularMAC1313Dined on 6/24/2014I thought the food was good but what was very strange is that two of us got the same thing- the blackened mahi sandwich- and my portion size was about 3 ounces. My Dad's was about 6-7 ounces. My piece didn't even cover 2/3 of the bun, and it was thin. When we showed the waitress, she was not very interested and tried to say mine was "probably thicker" than my Dads, instead of saying oh yes, let me show the kitchen or anything of that sort. So- that has never happened to me in my life and I would think there should be better oversight in the kitchen, and more professional servers as well. The noise was extreme and made it hard for my parents to hear. It didn't bother me but beware if you are with those who are hard of hearing.Special Features:
- save your moneyBillVIPDined on 6/22/2014My wife and I thought the food was just so-so. The menu was uninspired and the price just not worth it. For the same money we could have gone to Linwoods and had a much better meal.
- BonsoVIPDined on 6/21/2014Second visit and better than the first. Food was fine, liked the crab cake, not the lobster burrito. Crab soup different, should have kept Bud's recipe. Owner present but not engaging. Drinks finally improving but way expensive. It's got a great location and the improvements are first class. BUt you can't eat atmosphere so more treaking of the food and some reasonable drinks would be great.Special Features:
- Great flavor/small portionsEatout2muchDined on 6/21/2014I had recently been to The Valley Inn for lunch and it was fantastic…great crab soup and terrific sandwiches. Decided to try dinner - my seafood salad was really good. My dinner mates had entrees - crab imperial and scottish salmon. VERY small portions. They were finished their dinners and sat watching me eat my salad. My husband ordered a side of asparagus with his dinner - 7 skinny spears of asparagus for $9…yikes! However, they were good. In my opinion lunch seems the better choice although I will go back and have soup and a burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't order ahi tunaMetzfundVIPDined on 6/19/2014Liked the new dining room a lot. Our server Joe was incredible! Ahut tuna was horrible! All the food I was served with was delicious, the fish itself was too big to be served for ahi and was chewy and tough. The fish special my husband got was equally as bad. The chicken soup was fabulous and the chips and guacamole were pretty good! Next time I'll stick with the more traditional foods they have and get the burger! The food here just isn't up to snuff like Oregon grille, but I guess like other reviewer said, if I want that, then go there! Great to have the place re-opened. I'm sure they'll iron out the food issues as they go alongSpecial Features:
- eatoutoftenVIPDined on 6/15/2014We went for dinner on Sunday evening - our the first visit since it opened under new management. The ambience is very nice - reminiscent of the Oregon Grill but more casual. The appetizers little neck clams and the special soft shell crab appetizers were outstanding. The cheeseburger was tasty, but the chicken was slightly undercooked and chewy. Overall a good experience, so we'll give it another try.Special Features:
- Great Renovation and foodConnieDined on 6/15/2014We always liked the Valley Inn which is located less than 10 minutes from our house. When it closed down we were devistted. Fortunately it has reopened and with a bang. The atmosphere and the service was great, but the food was truly outstanding. Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014I guess if what we like is the Oregon Grille, we should have just gone to the Oregon Grille. Food is chain-restaurant quality (think Chili's or Applebee's) and service was slow and inattentive (sat for 10 minutes during main course with empty drink glasses). Not impressed. Won't be back.
- welcome backtomfVIPDined on 6/12/2014After all the years it's nice to see the VI back open. Very good crabcake and burgers. Didn't try other stuff. Wines are overpriced. Hope they will open an outside eating area.Special Features:
- I'll think twice about returningbmoregalVIPDined on 6/8/2014At 6:00 with a reservation, I was escorted to a table in the bar area. When I complained that I had a reservation and didn't want to sit in the bar I was told that the main dining room was full and basically take it or leave it. My daughter and I ordered poached lobster with risotto. The lobster was seriously overcooked and tasted like rubber and the risotto was so salty that it was awful. I shoved it down since I was so hungry and didn't want to wait for another meal but my daughter refused to eat it for $27 and ordered a crab cake. The server was very pleasant about our dissatisfaction unlike the host who really didn't give a hoot. She enjoyed her crab cake but the overall experience left a lot to be desired!Special Features:
- Great placeDisappointedVIPDined on 6/6/2014Great menu, food, service, prices. Something for everyone. Manager checked in with us, which was so refreshing. Can't wait to go back. Menu has tons of salads, apps, burgers, entrees, something for everyone! Salmon was delicious, as well as, the crab cake. Great cocktail list too!Special Features:
- rebirth of a classicgrumpyDined on 5/31/2014it is nice that a fixture in the suburban scene has returned. The decor was very pleasing and represented the tradition of maryland horse country. the menu was diverse and everyone at our table (4) enjoyed the dinner. the server was extremely pleasant and efficient. a good time was had by all.Special Features:
- Excellent!LadybugDined on 5/31/2014Our first time at the reopened Valley Inn- service and food was outstanding! Fried oysters were perfectly, and lightly prepared, house salad was excellent and crabcakes outstanding.Special Features:
- nonejutesDined on 5/28/2014Our server was knowledgeable and very efficient and solicitous.Special Features:
- Back again, better than everlikes2eatoutVIPDined on 5/25/2014The Valley Inn exceeded our expectations! Better interior; better food; quality waiter. I will add this restaurant to the short list of places to return to, often.Special Features:
- Solidjadams1016Dined on 5/23/2014This was our first trip to the restaurant since it re-opened. Was surprised that some of the entrée prices were in the $30 range. And I was perplexed by some of the entrees, for example, mini meatloaf. Why have mini meatloaf and not a full sized piece? The seafood chopped salad was good as was the mini meatloaf. And it was odd to see such a formal setting lined with racing related art and objects and to find the wait staff in jeans. Western versus racing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has potential2eatDined on 5/20/2014Love the location and has great parking. Ambiance in the back booth area/foyer area was lacking, but the front bar area seemed nice (I'll try that next time). Food was OK, but there's room for improvement. I believe the owners aren't quite finished making updates to the building, so I'm looking forward to seeing what changes are made over the next few months.
- The following 0 reviews are from the The Valley Inn - Brooklandville reviews archive.