The Upstairs Bistro
800 South Main St.
Canandaigua, NY 14424Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Upstairs Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://nywcc.com/restaurant-bar
- Phone: 5853947070x111
- Hours of Operation:
Monday & Tuesday Closed
Wednesday & Thursday 11:30-2:30 Lunch & Dinner 5:00PM-9:00PM
Friday 11:30-2:30 Lunch & Dinner 5:00PM-10:00PM
Sunday Brunch 11:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Sokolski
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please Call 585-394-7070
- Private Party Facilities: The Southern Wine & Spirits Private Dining room seats up to 20 guests in opulent surroundings sure to make any occasion special.
- Private Party Contact: Food & Beverage Manager Brian Rogers 5853947070x107
- Entertainment: Call restaurant for weekend schedule.
A word from The Upstairs Bistro
The Upstairs Bistro offers the best New York State has to offer. Artisanal cheeses, meats and fresh local produce are utilized in our Executive Chef's culinary creations to excite your taste buds and stimulate your palate's sense of adventure.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Upstairs Bistro - Best Restaurants in Canandaigua ›
The Upstairs Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (78)scenic view (70)fit for foodies (45)great for lunch (42)special occasion (39)good for groups (28)notable wine list (27)romantic (25)neighborhood gem (15)great for brunch (15)hot spot (7)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Recommend tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014We both had the tasting menu which was delicious -- made up of mostly local foods, well-prepared, adjusted to work with my food allergies, and very reasonably priced. Sat on the deck with view of the lake, which happened to include fireworks and the annual flares around the lake. Would visit again.Special Features:
- Good Food...okay waitstaffWhitCarDined on 8/25/2014Everything about the Upstairs Bistro was fantastic except the service. It wasn't horrible, but it could have been better. Our waiter took about 10 minutes to greet us after we sat down and he never served us bread. We were starving at this point so it would have been nice. Once our dinner came, we only saw him once, and it was when we were finished with our meal. He did however provide us with fantastic recommendations on local wineries. Other than that, food was great, atmosphere was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coming back SOON!60stourDined on 8/25/2014I have had the Bistro on my to-do list for quite some time. My expectations were surpasses when I visited on Monday for lunch. I was expecting the superior food but was charmed by the service and willingness by staff to allow my brother and me to sit and talk well past our meal. I look forward to coming for dinner very soon!60's tSpecial Features:
- Great expereince!MicheleDined on 8/24/2014My group came to end a girls weekend and had a wonderful meal! We enjoyed our cocktails, food and service so much that we're planning another visit for our next birthday celebration. We can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceMattDined on 8/23/2014I took my girlfriend here for dinner. It was the first time either of us had been to NYWCC and I was thoroughly impressed. The facility is gorgeous and both our meals were the best we have had in a long time. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Not a great first impressionllamatkd22Dined on 8/22/2014I received a gift card for the NYWCC/Upstairs Bistro and decided that it would be a good opportunity to celebrate a family birthday there. I made our reservations through Open Table system, which was a new experience but very easy to use, for a Friday night. The atmosphere was great, very clean and well maintained. The appetizers were good, a nice showcase of local flavors. The main course fell apart, two of our party had to send their meals back as they were undercooked almost to the point of being raw. Our server did not check on us until after we had spoken to the maître de and sent the food back. I personally would like to return for a class or the tasting room, but will likely not go for another meal.Special Features:
- Less then expectedMrKelleyDined on 8/16/2014This is my Dinner reservation, We also ate Lunch here which was much better do to the fact few customers were present so our service was better. they have a dedicated Hostess you will wait to be greeted, we were seated promptly our reservation was correct. Menu for lunch and Dinner is the same though worded differently) . Our waiter was knowledgeable of the items on the menu, but when asked about pairings he was not vague but could not offer anything but standard lip service, and when ordering he did not suggest I pair my meal. I had the Steak ,and Mrs. the Salmon both were cooked to perfection, Roll had no taste. Had to clear our own table, using an un cleared table next to me. Waited 15 minutes to get a second cup of coffee.Special Features:
- An insultMindyoppDined on 8/15/2014This is the fancy restaurant at the New York Culinary and Wine Center in Canandaigua. I know, for a fact, that NY produces better food than this place. It is an insult to all producers and chefs in the state. Very narrow beer selection. Upstate has become a big craft brewing area but out of the 10 or so on the list only 2-3 are from the area. Food terrible. Mussels were ok but there should have been more broth. The mussels sat on a puddle of over reduced glop. Sandwich had burnt toast. Pizza was simply awful in all ways. We then went to Abbotts for ice cream. Yum!
- needsimprovementDined on 8/14/2014Food was not the greatest . Took an hour to receive food after ordering. Outside deck was not very pretty. Needs more to dress it uo. Flower pots would have helped some. Chairs very uncomfortale. Fell back into it and could nit sit close enough to the table unless I sat on the edge of my seat. Was there on a Thursday afternoon for lunch, not all that busy. Disappointed that food, ambiance and service was lacking. Would not recommend to friends.
- Outstanding food and serviceUKUSdinnerDined on 8/13/2014Had my friends from the UK here and decided to have dinner at the culinary center. We loved the food and atmosphere. Outstanding service as well. Worth going back. My friends can't wait to go back either next time they come to the US. One of them commented that her salad was the best she's ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoisDined on 8/13/2014The food was delicious - no, it was outstanding! Ambience - Very heavy rain made it difficult to hear (outdoors) and so, neighboring tables were loud. Service was good. Really enjoyed swordfish special and wine trio. Creme Brule dessert melted in your mouth. Overall, a unique dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, but a bit disappointingCoupleDined on 8/12/2014My wife and I tried Upstairs Bistro on a recent Tuesday evening to celebrate our anniversary. We were looking for a moderately priced upscale meal, and we pretty much got that, with a bill totaling around $100 including a bottle of wine, entree, and desert. The ambiance was very nice and the food nicely presented. The salmon was well prepared and was the highlight. The accompanying vegetables were mediocre and undercooked. The desert was very disappointing: the coffee was bland and after one bite of the cheesecake I politely asked for a take-home box as it had a very odd taste. The server was polite and helpful, although it took a long time to receive our desert and he could have been a bit more attentive.Special Features:
- serviceohwell9Dined on 8/10/2014I was disappointed with the service. When making a reservation - they should tell you that parking may be an issue and suggest to you were parking is available. Food was good but my overall experience was disappointing.Special Features:
- Lovely spot, great foodExplorerDined on 8/10/2014Had lunch on a Sunday in August on the upper outdoor deck with view of the lake. Food was great - nice local veggies, and the cherry mint julep was a tasty and refreshing summer drink. Reisling Festival was underway below, which provided some nice background music and buzz, but wasn't too loud. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GingergingerDined on 8/10/2014I have eaten here several times and have never been disappointed. The prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food.Special Features:
- Review of BistroRWM1Dined on 8/9/2014The salmon was very good. The steak salad was overcooked and cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dine2Dined on 8/9/2014We travel 2 1/2 hours to dine at NY Wine & Culinary- it is MY FAVORITE PLACE!! Always attend for Birthdays, Anniversaries, Reisling Wine Festival. Everything is generally OUTSTANDING, BUT ---- this last time there was a Lipstick Stain on the Water Glass, and NO ICE in the De-Caffeinated Iced Tea. W A R N I N G ***DO NOT USE MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IN THIS REVIEW*****Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect place by the lakeCandKDined on 8/8/2014We had a magical meal with delicious food and great flights of wine and beer. It's definitely our new lakeside destination restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceDeeMDined on 8/8/2014The service was inconsistent. Our server was young and seemed inexperienced; most likely a summer hire.Special Features:
- A Hit with this whole foodie familyChefdebi2014Dined on 8/7/2014We visit the Finger Lakes every summer. This was our first visit to Canandaidua and the Upstairs Bistro at the New York Wine and Culinary Center. What a great experience! Our waiter Eddie was fabulous and the food was creative and DID feature the local food and wine products in a delightful way. We decided to make it a must for our future visits to the area.Special Features:
- Very good foodDrDeeDined on 8/5/2014Very good food in a wonderful location. The service could have been more attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014We came to celebrate the birthdays of 2 friends and eft sadly disappointed. Thought the food choices on the menu were creative and attractively presented, we had such poor service that it was hard to get past that. Our waiter was very inattentive. Finding him to get water glasses refilled was a challenge and he never did stop back to see if all was well with our food after a different waiter delivered it to the table. The restaurant was not at all busy so this inattentiveness was difficult to understand.Special Features:
- LocavoreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Although the view is wonderful, we thought the food was mediocre and were disappointed.Special Features:
- Great Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Our waiter was very good, gave us some great advice on parking at CMAC along with our great service. He was there when we needed him but never annoying. Outdoor seating is awesome, there is not a bad seat on the deck. Only problem was reservations. I called and they said they were booked however I went online to open table and reserved a seat, when we arrived there were more than enough seating. Other than that, great experience. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- DelightfulDrewDiningDined on 8/1/2014I thought the layout was very nice. Great view of the lake and plenty of space. The food was excellent. I had a steak salad paired with a pinot noir that was exceptional. My wife had a burger a raved about how fresh it was. We will be back and also recommend to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/27/2014Food was good, service was very uneven. Our server forgot about us after initially stopping by. Never came by to take our drink order and we had to chase him down. Rest of the meal was uneventful.Special Features:
- Will return soon!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2014The Upstairs Bistro helped make our evening wonderful. The food, drinks, service and atmosphere were amazing, especially knowing that everything had a local flavor. It was truly an ideal place to spend our first anniversary. We are looking forward to returning to try out some of the cooking classes or tasting sessions. I would recommend this establishment to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and serviceWilliamDined on 7/26/2014We came on a friends recommendation for our daughters birthday. She ordered the chicken dinner it was dry and tasteless. We had no salt and pepper on the table to add some flavor. We said she should send the dinner back but she did not want to. She said she herd what happens in kitchens when food is sent back. She said she would rather eat dry chicken. The service was quite slow other tables around us that came in much later already had been served. After we started eating we noticed other tables had dinner rolls. We asked our server why we didn't get rolls he said you only get them if you ask. We asked and got rolls. We drove 1-1/2 hours to get to the Upstairs Bistro we will not return to many other better places to eat in the area.
- Food yes! The view...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Made last minute reservations for 4 people, asking for outdoor seating and getting it, despite not being guaranteed anything by the site. We did get a nice table, a gracious and observant waiter, and wonderful food! We stayed from 7:30 to closing, and the waiter never made us feel rushed. The only unfortunate item I should mention is that the outdoor seating did not give us a view of the lake, it is situated facing away from it, and you end up having a chance to monitor your car in the parking lot, or the grounds behind the restaurant. But I would absolutely go back again!Special Features:
- Always great!ChuckDined on 7/20/2014Always a great meal and great friendly service. We sometimes eat at the bar which is a great option if the tables are booked or you did not make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoxdineDined on 7/18/2014Wonderful upstairs view looking over Canadaigua Lake and a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll try them againOutofTownersDined on 7/15/2014I thought my turkey sandwich was somewhat bland and dry. But I definately would try them again and pick a diffent menu item. It's a lovely and interesting place to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014My friends and I wanted to try something different when we found this Bistro. We had a great time and the food was good. The whole complex is something to see from the gift shop to watching the students cook downstairs.Special Features:
- Fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Nice setting and good food. Sean was an excellent server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bar gets a A; restaurant an FLLV2VIPDined on 7/4/2014The folks at the bar serve great drinks at speed for an amazingly low price. The 4th of July dinner was a BUFFET with NO notice on the website. NOT what we expected and the servers were indifferent to the inconvenience. We walked out and went across the street to McGregors.
- Great Dinner for visiting relativesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014We took our relatives that were visiting from Alabama to the Upstairs Bistro on Sunday for dinner. We arrived at the restaurant and were quickly seated outside, our server was great at explaining all the dishes and answering questions that we had. The food was all delicious, the appetizers were enough to share, we all got something different so we were able to taste four different dishes. We shared the crème brulee - it was unbelievably good and once again enough to share. We left the restaurant full, and happy. We would certainly go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLiveToEatDined on 6/22/2014We went here for New Year's Eve and found the service to be poor with an overall lack of organization. We thought it might be due to the special occasion so we went back there this weekend. Unfortunately, it was the same experience. The food was good, but everything else was terrible. From the host repeatedly reporting "just 5-10 minutes" for nearly an hour, to the rickety table, to having to ask for bread, to not receiving the salads the way we ordered, and on and on. All little things, but they add up. To be fair, the manager did show concern and made an effort to appease us by comping one of the meals and giving us a gift card for a future visit. Not sure if we'll use it.
- My First VisitFoodJunkyDined on 6/21/2014This was my first time at the Upstairs Bistro. We went there in the late evening for some drinks on the deck. The atmosphere was great and people were friendly. The only complaint I have is that they are only open till 10 pm on the weekends. They should extend the hours. This survey assumes you have eaten here and forces you to rate it. Since I have not eaten here I gave it an average rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Slow StartOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/21/2014Very slow start to our meal. Several minute wait before we saw our waiter and did not receive our cocktails until 15 minutes after we were seated. After this service was and meal pacing was good. The food was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Had a wonderful time. Great way to celebrate Father's Day with meal on the deck overlooking Canandaigua Lake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.