The Union Kitchen (Memorial Dr)
12538 Memorial Dr
Houston, TX 77024Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Union Kitchen (Memorial Dr)
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theunionkitchen.com/
- Phone: (713) 360-2000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Juan Arellano
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full service catering coming soon.
- Private Party Facilities: The Union private room @ The Union Kitchen-Memorial has a capacity of 30-32 guests for seated meal service, or 40 guests for a Cocktail and hors d'oeuvres Social gathering.
The Union Room is available for a multitude of special occasions. Some of the many features are the two large high definitions flat screen televisions with VGA and full Apple TV functionality.
Also available...a semi-private raised dining area in our restaurant that will accommodate up to 36 guests.
A Large Full Service Covered Patio that will accommodate 80 people.
Our experienced professionals are eager to assist you in selecting from one of our preset event menus, or create your own specialized menu designed exclusively for your event with assistance from our Executive Chef; combined with our professional and knowledgeable staff, You and your guests are certain to have a special and memorable experience.
- Entertainment: Live Music on the Patio
A word from The Union Kitchen (Memorial Dr)
The Union Kitchen features a unique menu served in a casual atmosphere. Our lunch menu focuses on sandwiches, wraps, entree salads and some of the best burgers in Houston. At dinner, steaks, chops, chicken dishes and seafood take center stage. We have a unique hand selected wine list that… complements our cuisine perfectly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Union Kitchen (Memorial Dr) - Best Restaurants in West Side ›
The Union Kitchen (Memorial Dr) reviews from OpenTable diners
153 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (105)great for lunch (58)great for outdoor dining (56)good for groups (48)fit for foodies (48)great for brunch (41)special occasion (41)notable wine list (34)romantic (13)kid-friendly (13)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (5)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/21/2014Union Kitchen has become one of my favorites. I have been a fan since they first opened and they have continued to offer a yummy menu and great service. Always enjoy introducing it to friends. Keep up the good work!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceKenfVIPDined on 11/17/2014Our server, Erik, was excellent. There was a problem with my wife's meal and he promptly and cheerfully took care of it. The manager brought the replacement meal himself to insure everything was to her satisfaction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhhod diningCactexanDined on 11/15/2014An excellent meal with great service. Noise level is a little loud - even at 6:30 on a Saturday night, but definitely tolerable. The food quality is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemSuzy8VIPDined on 11/15/2014This my second time to this restaurant. It is a great place to have date night, or special occasion. My husband had the veal chop and I had the sirloin steak with lobster. Our plates were very nicely presented and the steaks were made to our liking. The service was attentive and the restaurant was teaming with customers. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening at The Union Kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood restaurant reservations recomended.MarbsVIPDined on 11/15/2014The restaurant has a neighborhood feeling but it's so busy that you better make reservations or you'll be waiting at the bar for a while. The food is good although we have experience mishaps which management corrected swiftly. The service is excellent and servers are very knowledgeable about their menu. Brunch is amazing with bottomless mimosas. Should definitely try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste TreatREBELMOMDined on 11/14/2014The food was super - calamari and crab cakes were both well prepared and presented. Entrees were wonderful as was the wine, but the best was our server - truly a delight - friendly and so helpful. We will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Scottish Salmon?OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/11/2014Very disappointed to see Atlantic salmon which is farm raised instead of wild scottish or alaskan on menu. Quality of food seems to have declined some. stuffed shrimp and pork chops not nearly as good as before!
- Group enjoyedexplorerDined on 11/7/2014Their food choices satisfied everyone. The waitress waited too long for our 2 missing guests to arrive and didnt keep checking up on us. We could hear eachother talk at lunch Friday. (A previous lunch had been more noisy). Would def go there again with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Menu, Still GreatTracyCDined on 11/5/2014This is the fourth or fifth time I've eaten at The Union Kitchen over the past couple of years, but the first time since the new menu was introduced. I'm a very picky eater, so I was pleasantly surprised to find many options on the menu that appealed to my taste buds without needing to ask for something to be changed. My wife had the meatloaf - a HUGE portion served over bread, she loved it. I had the sirloin and lobster over bleu cheese grits. OMG...the only way it could have been better would have been if it had been served with a better beef choice than sirloin. But still very, very good. My daughter chose the arugula and prosciutto pizza, and thoroughly enjoyed that. They've also added some new cocktails, give them a try!Special Features:
- Outstanding experience again!QuietdinerDined on 11/4/2014As usual, the dining was excellent and the service perfect.Special Features:
- Outstanding food.supergeezerDined on 10/31/2014We had the salmon and a filet. They were incredibly well prepared and timely served. I also highly recommend the chopped salad and the prosciutto wrapped asparagus appetizer. The are very flexible about substituting items that accompany the entrees.Special Features:
- Great Food/Great EveningCheckSixSamDined on 10/25/2014We eat fairly regularly at The Union Kitchen because the food quality/taste is always outstanding. We have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- enjoygooddiningDined on 10/25/2014Great food and wine! We enjoyed our evening. The only small criticism is that our table for 4 was by the wall where the wine refrigerators are and it was a bit tight for 4 people. We had to angle our table so that one person in our group wouldn't hit her elbow on the wall.Special Features:
- Disappointedluv2dine65Dined on 10/24/2014Had a decent lunch so thought I would try for dinner. Went on a Friday night. Server forgot drink and bread while we waited. Dinner was terrible and dishes were cold. Parmesan fries soggy, crab cakes cold. Ordered lamb chops medium, some well done plate was cold. Did not stay for dessert as it was disappointing enough. Only thing good was wine.Special Features:
- Superb Dining ExperienceCDWBDined on 10/18/2014Our special night out was wonderful at The Union Kitchen. The service was superior, especially our waiter (Mark). The food was delicious, and the four of us in our party all enjoyed our four different dishes. Dessert was great, too! We would highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boss"s DaybacheloretteDINNERDined on 10/15/2014We went here to have lunch to celebrate Boss's Day... the food has always been great here but I think the waiter we got was new. She missed two of our side orders completely but we decided not to bring it up because we were already full by that point. She was suppose to bring out another bread which she forgot as well. And a important fact on how one of the dishes should have been prepared she got wrong. But lucky the manager and other wait staff around were very accomodiating and try to get what ever they could done. No worries we will still continue to dine here being that the food has always been good and service has always been great.Special Features:
- Not same quality as BellairecutiepieDined on 10/14/2014we went to the memorial location and dined outdoors. Although we enjoyed the pleasant weather the restaurant tables are often quite close together and therefore when there are families it makes it a challenge in terms of the noise level. As to the food unfortunately I would say that the standards are not the same at Memorial as they are at Bellaire. My companions ordered the hamburger medium well it came out noticeably with red juice dripping all over the bottom bun and was nowhere near the look or quality of hamburger at Bellaire. The linguini had very limited crab meat and was quite lemony, our final companion ordered the fish special and was satisfied with the quality. We would not recommend it for a romantic evening.Special Features:
- deliciousKellyDined on 10/11/2014My three guests and I enjoyed all the appetizers, entrees & desserts we had. All the food was inventive & fresh.Special Features:
- DisappointedSeniorfoodieDined on 10/10/2014Service was ok. Food was only fair and too expensive for quality. Will not return.
- Brunch with familyBrunchDined on 10/4/2014My family went to the Memorial drive location on Saturday, October 4th. The weather was perfect so we sat on their patio which is nice and big. My son and I ordered a veggie omelet which was delicious with a side of fruit. The omelet was very light and fluffy. My husband ordered the chicken and biscuit. It came with the o'brien potatoes. He said his potatoes were cold. He should have sent them back but he's not good at doing that. Pancakes for the grandchildren (4 & 5 yrs old) which were huge. They took home the leftovers. Most of the adults cleaned their plates so that is a good sign. I guess my only complaint is that I wish the breakfast entrees would come with an english muffin or toast. We did have a great server, however.Special Features:
- Good varietyLauraVIPDined on 10/3/2014Myself, husband, and another couple dined on Friday night. Somehow with all the restaurants in Houston, there doesn't seem to be much in the Memorial area if you want to avoid City Centre and don't feel like a steakhouse splurge. Union Kitchen is as close the middle ground as we've found. You can choose from burgers or pizzas, or fancier entrees. The white table cloth-like ambiance inside is a bit much and dishes are a couple dollars overpriced, but given the location I wasn't surprised by the prices. Service was good and food was tasty. My husband and his friend had the burgers which looked great, I had the spinach and chicken pizza which was very good, my friend had the parmesan crusted chicken which she enjoyed.Special Features:
- The Neighborhood PlacePenquinVIPDined on 10/2/2014This Memorial area restaurant is a consistently good choice with creative items on a menu that have something for everyone. This week I took three people there and all of them ordered different items that they claimed were the best choice of the evening and when their plates left the table they did not need any scraping. They had almost been "licked clean" which says the food is GOOD! Try the bread pudding dessert - I did after many visits and found it to be outstanding. This is my "to go to" restaurant in the neighborhood!Special Features:
- Always excellentMKNelsonDined on 10/2/2014I am never disappointed with the food. Lunch special last week of crab cake sand which was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Union Kitchen exceeds expectationsnovicefoodieDined on 9/28/2014We had tried Union Kitchen once before and had some of their comfort food - burger and meatloaf. This Sunday afternoon my wife and I tried plates from their more formal menu - filet and Idaho trout. From appetizers through dessert my wife and I kept talking about how great the food was. And Sean, our waiter, was attentive and informative without any of the upsell that seems so prevalent today. We'll be back with friends.Special Features:
- A great evening outNellieDined on 9/27/2014Comprehensive menu. You'll be able to find something you like from hamburgers to sea bass. Well presented with excellent service.Special Features:
- Excellent tender and tasty ribeyeDLTBVIPDined on 9/26/2014Crab cakes very good. Bread pudding dessert is fantastic. Service very attentive and quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find on MemorialdocjohnDined on 9/25/2014Looking for something new and different This was the place for a casual restaurant with great food with out having to go inside the loop !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No vegan options. Energy Corridor!BARBIEDDined on 9/24/2014Union Kitchen is in a happening area right now. There have been a few times that I have attempted to go to lunch in that area (near CityCentre) and everywhere I went had a 45 minute wait. Every time I went here though, we were easily seated. The reason I chose to write a review this time is that I had a lobster grilled cheese sandwich there for lunch yesterday and found myself telling other people about it, which is so rare, I thought I should write a review. The cheese was brie, there was also avocado and a fabulous tomato bisque on the side. To die for. Really. I do wish they had vegan options though. The only thing I see wrong with the place.Special Features:
- Houston LadyHoustonLady123VIPDined on 9/24/2014Always enjoyable for lunch or dinner. Great food and variety of selections. Atmosphere instantly puts you in a good mood. Service is excellent and the wait staff very knowledgeable about menu items. One of my favorites!Special Features:
- Birthday Dinnerlive2eatVIPDined on 9/21/2014I took my family here for a birthday dinner due to a recommendation and the location near my home. The staff was friendly and the ambiance was nice. However, the food was mediocre. I tried my best to like it because everything else was nice. There was no flavor in the dishes we ordered. We ordered the fried calamari - did not come out hot and was bland even with us dipping in the marinara sauce, porkabucco - very tender but not enough flavor, rainbow trout - skin was left on and was not crispy and also very bland, crab pasta - no flavor at all, and the crab stuffed shrimp - fried really well and crispy but still bland. I am only giving my opinion. Maybe I like a little more salt than others, but the food was lacking just flavor.
- Awesome BrunchKellKellDined on 9/21/2014My husband and I went to Union Kitchen for our anniversary for the 1st time & they have a great brunch. The orange glazed cinnamon rolls were wonderful! The chicken & biscuits were huge and so good along with the potatoes.....such a great combo! Normally, I wouldn't order something like that but it was well worth it! The bloody mary's weren't too bad either! It was a very nice place that you could dress casually for a relaxed brunch or dinner or dress up & make it a date night.Special Features:
- KatieDined on 9/16/2014Our waiter, Tim, was very good - attentive but not overly so. Our food was good with the exception of the appetizer my husband and I shared. It was the brie - instead of being hot and melted, it was slightly warm and hard. Also, for the amount of cheese on the plate, five crackers was totally inadequate, especially since you no longer serve bread with the meal. Other than that, it was great and as always, the Tira Misu was the best in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Here againPenquinVIPDined on 9/14/2014Sunday night they don't let up. They still serve great food with a service flair that makes you want to stay and stay or return very soon. The BBQ chicken pizza cannot be beat by other pizza makers.Special Features:
- Bad service ruin my birthdayBlueleaf31Dined on 9/14/2014Read good reviews online &wanted to try it out,but the waiter was horrible. We ordered a mimosa carafe because 4 of us were drinking &he said that was only for 3 people &we can get individual ones for $6. we told him we'll stick w/larger serving. He looked at us weird and said we will be charged for 2carafe which we said was fine. During the meal, he started picking up everyone's plates while I was still eating & tried to get my plate which I was clearly not finished eating. When it was time to pay he put it all in 1 ticket.We asked to split it & he didn't understand how. What upset us the most when He said 'so, who's paying for the kid?' He couldn't figure out who was with who. it just ruined my bday memory. I will never come back here!Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood spotMSalingerDined on 9/13/2014We have never had a bad meal here. They have a quaint small bar with good bartenders. Good food. Good atmosphere. You should try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual diningannieDined on 9/13/2014First time I ate here, it was a week night and food was excellent. This time it was a Saturday night - food was average. Nice atmosphere, however, and good service. Not a special occasion place, but good for getting together with friends for a casual dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014Food was good but service was slow and not attentive. Had to ask 3 times for our bread for the table that showed up at dinner.Special Features:
- good friday dinnermemkVIPDined on 9/5/2014friday night dinner. service good, food was well prepared, only downside is my wife likes a sweet white wine and they did not have one avaiable to suit her taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulJLFoodieDined on 9/5/2014I took my group here for lunch after having heard rave reviews from other co-workers. The food was top quality with their own unique spin on each item. I had the grill shrimp salad which I would definitely get again. We will be back again soon!Special Features:
- I'll Be Back ...Foodie4everDined on 9/3/2014Fantastic! I pass by everyday going home from work. Finally met a couple girlfriends there for dinner. Our table was nicely situated away from the couples and the big group, so we could hear ourselves talk. We had cocktails and wine - what can I say - the raspberry martini was quite tasty! I ordered the mahi mahi special. It was like butter in my mouth! My friends ordered the trout. I tasted it too - it was good, but not as good as mine. We didnt even look at dessert, but when I go back I will. Or maybe I'll go for brunch. Either way, I will be back!Special Features: