The Union Kitchen (Memorial Dr)
12538 Memorial Dr
Houston, TX 77024Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Union Kitchen (Memorial Dr)
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theunionkitchen.com/
- Phone: 7133602000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Juan Arellano
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full service catering coming soon.
- Private Party Facilities: The Union private room @ The Union Kitchen-Memorial has a capacity of 30-32 guests for seated meal service, or 40 guests for a Cocktail and hors d'oeuvres Social gathering.
The Union Room is available for a multitude of special occasions. Some of the many features are the two large high definitions flat screen televisions with VGA and full Apple TV functionality.
Also available...a semi-private raised dining area in our restaurant that will accommodate up to 36 guests.
A Large Full Service Covered Patio that will accommodate 80 people.
Our experienced professionals are eager to assist you in selecting from one of our preset event menus, or create your own specialized menu designed exclusively for your event with assistance from our Executive Chef; combined with our professional and knowledgeable staff, You and your guests are certain to have a special and memorable experience.
- Entertainment: Live Music on the Patio
A word from The Union Kitchen (Memorial Dr)
The Union Kitchen features a unique menu served in a casual atmosphere. Our lunch menu focuses on sandwiches, wraps, entree salads and some of the best burgers in Houston. At dinner, steaks, chops, chicken dishes and seafood take center stage. We have a unique hand selected wine list that… complements our cuisine perfectly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Union Kitchen (Memorial Dr) reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (106)great for lunch (58)great for outdoor dining (48)fit for foodies (42)good for groups (40)great for brunch (38)special occasion (37)notable wine list (31)romantic (14)kid-friendly (13)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (7)late-night find (5)Show More
- Boss"s DaybacheloretteDINNERDined on 10/15/2014We went here to have lunch to celebrate Boss's Day... the food has always been great here but I think the waiter we got was new. She missed two of our side orders completely but we decided not to bring it up because we were already full by that point. She was suppose to bring out another bread which she forgot as well. And a important fact on how one of the dishes should have been prepared she got wrong. But lucky the manager and other wait staff around were very accomodiating and try to get what ever they could done. No worries we will still continue to dine here being that the food has always been good and service has always been great.Special Features:
- Not same quality as BellairecutiepieDined on 10/14/2014we went to the memorial location and dined outdoors. Although we enjoyed the pleasant weather the restaurant tables are often quite close together and therefore when there are families it makes it a challenge in terms of the noise level. As to the food unfortunately I would say that the standards are not the same at Memorial as they are at Bellaire. My companions ordered the hamburger medium well it came out noticeably with red juice dripping all over the bottom bun and was nowhere near the look or quality of hamburger at Bellaire. The linguini had very limited crab meat and was quite lemony, our final companion ordered the fish special and was satisfied with the quality. We would not recommend it for a romantic evening.Special Features:
- deliciousKellyDined on 10/11/2014My three guests and I enjoyed all the appetizers, entrees & desserts we had. All the food was inventive & fresh.Special Features:
- DisappointedSeniorfoodieDined on 10/10/2014Service was ok. Food was only fair and too expensive for quality. Will not return.
- Brunch with familyBrunchDined on 10/4/2014My family went to the Memorial drive location on Saturday, October 4th. The weather was perfect so we sat on their patio which is nice and big. My son and I ordered a veggie omelet which was delicious with a side of fruit. The omelet was very light and fluffy. My husband ordered the chicken and biscuit. It came with the o'brien potatoes. He said his potatoes were cold. He should have sent them back but he's not good at doing that. Pancakes for the grandchildren (4 & 5 yrs old) which were huge. They took home the leftovers. Most of the adults cleaned their plates so that is a good sign. I guess my only complaint is that I wish the breakfast entrees would come with an english muffin or toast. We did have a great server, however.Special Features:
- Good varietyLauraVIPDined on 10/3/2014Myself, husband, and another couple dined on Friday night. Somehow with all the restaurants in Houston, there doesn't seem to be much in the Memorial area if you want to avoid City Centre and don't feel like a steakhouse splurge. Union Kitchen is as close the middle ground as we've found. You can choose from burgers or pizzas, or fancier entrees. The white table cloth-like ambiance inside is a bit much and dishes are a couple dollars overpriced, but given the location I wasn't surprised by the prices. Service was good and food was tasty. My husband and his friend had the burgers which looked great, I had the spinach and chicken pizza which was very good, my friend had the parmesan crusted chicken which she enjoyed.Special Features:
- The Neighborhood PlacePenquinVIPDined on 10/2/2014This Memorial area restaurant is a consistently good choice with creative items on a menu that have something for everyone. This week I took three people there and all of them ordered different items that they claimed were the best choice of the evening and when their plates left the table they did not need any scraping. They had almost been "licked clean" which says the food is GOOD! Try the bread pudding dessert - I did after many visits and found it to be outstanding. This is my "to go to" restaurant in the neighborhood!Special Features:
- Always excellentMKNelsonDined on 10/2/2014I am never disappointed with the food. Lunch special last week of crab cake sand which was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Union Kitchen exceeds expectationsnovicefoodieDined on 9/28/2014We had tried Union Kitchen once before and had some of their comfort food - burger and meatloaf. This Sunday afternoon my wife and I tried plates from their more formal menu - filet and Idaho trout. From appetizers through dessert my wife and I kept talking about how great the food was. And Sean, our waiter, was attentive and informative without any of the upsell that seems so prevalent today. We'll be back with friends.Special Features:
- A great evening outNellieDined on 9/27/2014Comprehensive menu. You'll be able to find something you like from hamburgers to sea bass. Well presented with excellent service.Special Features:
- Excellent tender and tasty ribeyeDLTBVIPDined on 9/26/2014Crab cakes very good. Bread pudding dessert is fantastic. Service very attentive and quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find on MemorialdocjohnDined on 9/25/2014Looking for something new and different This was the place for a casual restaurant with great food with out having to go inside the loop !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No vegan options. Energy Corridor!BARBIEDDined on 9/24/2014Union Kitchen is in a happening area right now. There have been a few times that I have attempted to go to lunch in that area (near CityCentre) and everywhere I went had a 45 minute wait. Every time I went here though, we were easily seated. The reason I chose to write a review this time is that I had a lobster grilled cheese sandwich there for lunch yesterday and found myself telling other people about it, which is so rare, I thought I should write a review. The cheese was brie, there was also avocado and a fabulous tomato bisque on the side. To die for. Really. I do wish they had vegan options though. The only thing I see wrong with the place.Special Features:
- Houston LadyHoustonLady123VIPDined on 9/24/2014Always enjoyable for lunch or dinner. Great food and variety of selections. Atmosphere instantly puts you in a good mood. Service is excellent and the wait staff very knowledgeable about menu items. One of my favorites!Special Features:
- Birthday Dinnerlive2eatVIPDined on 9/21/2014I took my family here for a birthday dinner due to a recommendation and the location near my home. The staff was friendly and the ambiance was nice. However, the food was mediocre. I tried my best to like it because everything else was nice. There was no flavor in the dishes we ordered. We ordered the fried calamari - did not come out hot and was bland even with us dipping in the marinara sauce, porkabucco - very tender but not enough flavor, rainbow trout - skin was left on and was not crispy and also very bland, crab pasta - no flavor at all, and the crab stuffed shrimp - fried really well and crispy but still bland. I am only giving my opinion. Maybe I like a little more salt than others, but the food was lacking just flavor.
- Awesome BrunchKellKellDined on 9/21/2014My husband and I went to Union Kitchen for our anniversary for the 1st time & they have a great brunch. The orange glazed cinnamon rolls were wonderful! The chicken & biscuits were huge and so good along with the potatoes.....such a great combo! Normally, I wouldn't order something like that but it was well worth it! The bloody mary's weren't too bad either! It was a very nice place that you could dress casually for a relaxed brunch or dinner or dress up & make it a date night.Special Features:
- KatieDined on 9/16/2014Our waiter, Tim, was very good - attentive but not overly so. Our food was good with the exception of the appetizer my husband and I shared. It was the brie - instead of being hot and melted, it was slightly warm and hard. Also, for the amount of cheese on the plate, five crackers was totally inadequate, especially since you no longer serve bread with the meal. Other than that, it was great and as always, the Tira Misu was the best in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Here againPenquinVIPDined on 9/14/2014Sunday night they don't let up. They still serve great food with a service flair that makes you want to stay and stay or return very soon. The BBQ chicken pizza cannot be beat by other pizza makers.Special Features:
- Bad service ruin my birthdayBlueleaf31Dined on 9/14/2014Read good reviews online &wanted to try it out,but the waiter was horrible. We ordered a mimosa carafe because 4 of us were drinking &he said that was only for 3 people &we can get individual ones for $6. we told him we'll stick w/larger serving. He looked at us weird and said we will be charged for 2carafe which we said was fine. During the meal, he started picking up everyone's plates while I was still eating & tried to get my plate which I was clearly not finished eating. When it was time to pay he put it all in 1 ticket.We asked to split it & he didn't understand how. What upset us the most when He said 'so, who's paying for the kid?' He couldn't figure out who was with who. it just ruined my bday memory. I will never come back here!Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood spotMSalingerDined on 9/13/2014We have never had a bad meal here. They have a quaint small bar with good bartenders. Good food. Good atmosphere. You should try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual diningannieDined on 9/13/2014First time I ate here, it was a week night and food was excellent. This time it was a Saturday night - food was average. Nice atmosphere, however, and good service. Not a special occasion place, but good for getting together with friends for a casual dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014Food was good but service was slow and not attentive. Had to ask 3 times for our bread for the table that showed up at dinner.Special Features:
- good friday dinnermemkVIPDined on 9/5/2014friday night dinner. service good, food was well prepared, only downside is my wife likes a sweet white wine and they did not have one avaiable to suit her taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulJLFoodieDined on 9/5/2014I took my group here for lunch after having heard rave reviews from other co-workers. The food was top quality with their own unique spin on each item. I had the grill shrimp salad which I would definitely get again. We will be back again soon!Special Features:
- I'll Be Back ...Foodie4everDined on 9/3/2014Fantastic! I pass by everyday going home from work. Finally met a couple girlfriends there for dinner. Our table was nicely situated away from the couples and the big group, so we could hear ourselves talk. We had cocktails and wine - what can I say - the raspberry martini was quite tasty! I ordered the mahi mahi special. It was like butter in my mouth! My friends ordered the trout. I tasted it too - it was good, but not as good as mine. We didnt even look at dessert, but when I go back I will. Or maybe I'll go for brunch. Either way, I will be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014Menu offers a nice variety, so everyone was happy. Also, nice wine and cocktail offerings. The crab napoleon and crabcake appetizers were very good. The big highlight was dessert... the bread pudding was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/2/2014A co-worker turned me on to Union Kitchen in December 2013. I have brought a few business clients for lunch since then and they have raved about the food. It is a good place for any occasion really. I love the ambiance of the place. Its elegant without being pretentious. Service has been good and haven't had a bad meal!Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantFoodie52Dined on 9/1/2014All you you would expect and more in a Neighborhood Restaurant. Greetings are always good and tables fast. Reservations honored very well. We dine at Union Kitchen once a week. The food is above average, but it may be time to freshen the menu. Plates arrive quickly and nicely presented. The steaks are very good the hamburger is spectacular in presentation and is a "best Burger" in any class. Pizza's are clever, fresh and tasty. The Angry shrimp are in fact most pleasing to be consumed. Waitstaff is particularly attentive and unobtrusive. BLAIR is excellent and SHAWN is superb. Either should be requested and well compensated for their speed and good humor. Try this place soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back AgainPenquinVIPDined on 9/1/2014Have lost track how many times we have been here to eat! We keep going back which should tell you that it is GOOD! Houston has many restaurants so someone who enjoys their food is not going to return if it is outstanding. WE KEEP ON KEEPING ON AT UNION KITCHEN - MEMORIAL! Don't miss this one!!!!!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood resteraunt!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Saturday night find. Live music, great food and drinks. Not too busy so we had exceptional service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillDined on 8/30/2014The food exceeded my expectations with the exception of the filet which was a little on the chewy side although cooked perfectly. I especially appreciated the fact that when I made an online reservation, they honored my request for a booth. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Exceeded ExpectationsSberryVIPDined on 8/28/2014We went for HRW. The brocollini salad was delightful and the braised spare ribs literally fell apart- so tender. My guest had the ceviche which was good. The flaming fried ice cream? Who doesn't like fried pound cake wrapped around a scoop of ice cream? We are excited to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014Excellent Restaurant Week menu. The service was particularly thoughtful and good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch!bdaybooVIPDined on 8/26/2014My friend and I had a delightful lunch here. Food was excellent. Service was outstanding. Our waiter took very good care of us. We would definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014I wasn't sure what to expect since the Memorial location, but the food, service and staff provided a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingCAH21Dined on 8/22/2014Highly recommend. Food and service were second to none!!!Special Features:
- Top of the Charts!weekenddinerDined on 8/22/2014Our family of 4 adults dined here on Friday night and could not have asked for a nicer evening. The waiter was outstanding. He was very accommodating with special menu request and very knowledgeable in suggesting food choices. One special thing is that we could carry on a conversation in a normal tone of voice; rare to find these days. We never felt rushed when our dinner was done. It truly is a neighborhood gem, you feel like you are among friends and family when you gather at Union Kitchen on Memorial. We look forward to many more meals there in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too noisy; service spottyNothingSpecialDined on 8/21/2014A previous review of this restaurant commented on the "ambiance" and that was one reason I wanted to try it... if you like so noisy you have to scream to make your dinner companions hear you, then I guess that's one kind of ambiance. Not mine! But that's what most restaurants are nowadays. I'm still searching for a place where I can enjoy good food, good wine AND a conversation. The food and service were not good enough to overcome the screaming. There were no condiments at the table (I like pepper) and after our food was served, we could not get the attention of a waiter or anyone to bring any. It was crowded but that's no excuse for how slow the service was... didn't seem to be enough servers. Anyway, I won't be going back.
- nevergobackVIPDined on 8/17/2014food quality declined over the past year. very disappointing. Union burger was overcooked, onion rings were cold and soggy.Special Features:
- Okay - overpriced for qualityJustthistimeDined on 8/16/2014I have been to the Bellaire location & could not wait to return. The good at Memorial was different - too much sauce. Would not recommend going backSpecial Features: