The Union Kitchen (Memorial Dr)
12538 Memorial Dr
Houston, TX 77024Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Union Kitchen (Memorial Dr)
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theunionkitchen.com/
- Phone: 7133602000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Juan Arellano
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full service catering coming soon.
- Private Party Facilities: The Union private room @ The Union Kitchen-Memorial has a capacity of 30-32 guests for seated meal service, or 40 guests for a Cocktail and hors d'oeuvres Social gathering.
The Union Room is available for a multitude of special occasions. Some of the many features are the two large high definitions flat screen televisions with VGA and full Apple TV functionality.
Also available...a semi-private raised dining area in our restaurant that will accommodate up to 36 guests.
A Large Full Service Covered Patio that will accommodate 80 people.
Our experienced professionals are eager to assist you in selecting from one of our preset event menus, or create your own specialized menu designed exclusively for your event with assistance from our Executive Chef; combined with our professional and knowledgeable staff, You and your guests are certain to have a special and memorable experience.
- Entertainment: Live Music on the Patio
A word from The Union Kitchen (Memorial Dr)
The Union Kitchen features a unique menu served in a casual atmosphere. Our lunch menu focuses on sandwiches, wraps, entree salads and some of the best burgers in Houston. At dinner, steaks, chops, chicken dishes and seafood take center stage. We have a unique hand selected wine list that… complements our cuisine perfectly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Union Kitchen (Memorial Dr) - Best Restaurants in West Side ›
The Union Kitchen (Memorial Dr) reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (102)great for lunch (52)fit for foodies (45)great for outdoor dining (44)good for groups (41)great for brunch (40)special occasion (39)notable wine list (29)romantic (18)kid-friendly (16)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (8)late-night find (7)Show More
- Here againPenquinVIPDined on 9/14/2014Sunday night they don't let up. They still serve great food with a service flair that makes you want to stay and stay or return very soon. The BBQ chicken pizza cannot be beat by other pizza makers.Special Features:
- Bad service ruin my birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014Read good reviews online &wanted to try it out,but the waiter was horrible. We ordered a mimosa carafe because 4 of us were drinking &he said that was only for 3 people &we can get individual ones for $6. we told him we'll stick w/larger serving. He looked at us weird and said we will be charged for 2carafe which we said was fine. During the meal, he started picking up everyone's plates while I was still eating & tried to get my plate which I was clearly not finished eating. When it was time to pay he put it all in 1 ticket.We asked to split it & he didn't understand how. What upset us the most when He said 'so, who's paying for the kid?' He couldn't figure out who was with who. it just ruined my bday memory. I will never come back here!Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood spotMSalingerDined on 9/13/2014We have never had a bad meal here. They have a quaint small bar with good bartenders. Good food. Good atmosphere. You should try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual diningannieDined on 9/13/2014First time I ate here, it was a week night and food was excellent. This time it was a Saturday night - food was average. Nice atmosphere, however, and good service. Not a special occasion place, but good for getting together with friends for a casual dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014Food was good but service was slow and not attentive. Had to ask 3 times for our bread for the table that showed up at dinner.Special Features:
- good friday dinnermemkVIPDined on 9/5/2014friday night dinner. service good, food was well prepared, only downside is my wife likes a sweet white wine and they did not have one avaiable to suit her taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulJLFoodieDined on 9/5/2014I took my group here for lunch after having heard rave reviews from other co-workers. The food was top quality with their own unique spin on each item. I had the grill shrimp salad which I would definitely get again. We will be back again soon!Special Features:
- I'll Be Back ...Foodie4everDined on 9/3/2014Fantastic! I pass by everyday going home from work. Finally met a couple girlfriends there for dinner. Our table was nicely situated away from the couples and the big group, so we could hear ourselves talk. We had cocktails and wine - what can I say - the raspberry martini was quite tasty! I ordered the mahi mahi special. It was like butter in my mouth! My friends ordered the trout. I tasted it too - it was good, but not as good as mine. We didnt even look at dessert, but when I go back I will. Or maybe I'll go for brunch. Either way, I will be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014Menu offers a nice variety, so everyone was happy. Also, nice wine and cocktail offerings. The crab napoleon and crabcake appetizers were very good. The big highlight was dessert... the bread pudding was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/2/2014A co-worker turned me on to Union Kitchen in December 2013. I have brought a few business clients for lunch since then and they have raved about the food. It is a good place for any occasion really. I love the ambiance of the place. Its elegant without being pretentious. Service has been good and haven't had a bad meal!Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantFoodie52Dined on 9/1/2014All you you would expect and more in a Neighborhood Restaurant. Greetings are always good and tables fast. Reservations honored very well. We dine at Union Kitchen once a week. The food is above average, but it may be time to freshen the menu. Plates arrive quickly and nicely presented. The steaks are very good the hamburger is spectacular in presentation and is a "best Burger" in any class. Pizza's are clever, fresh and tasty. The Angry shrimp are in fact most pleasing to be consumed. Waitstaff is particularly attentive and unobtrusive. BLAIR is excellent and SHAWN is superb. Either should be requested and well compensated for their speed and good humor. Try this place soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back AgainPenquinVIPDined on 9/1/2014Have lost track how many times we have been here to eat! We keep going back which should tell you that it is GOOD! Houston has many restaurants so someone who enjoys their food is not going to return if it is outstanding. WE KEEP ON KEEPING ON AT UNION KITCHEN - MEMORIAL! Don't miss this one!!!!!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood resteraunt!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Saturday night find. Live music, great food and drinks. Not too busy so we had exceptional service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillDined on 8/30/2014The food exceeded my expectations with the exception of the filet which was a little on the chewy side although cooked perfectly. I especially appreciated the fact that when I made an online reservation, they honored my request for a booth. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Exceeded ExpectationsSberryVIPDined on 8/28/2014We went for HRW. The brocollini salad was delightful and the braised spare ribs literally fell apart- so tender. My guest had the ceviche which was good. The flaming fried ice cream? Who doesn't like fried pound cake wrapped around a scoop of ice cream? We are excited to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014Excellent Restaurant Week menu. The service was particularly thoughtful and good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch!bdaybooVIPDined on 8/26/2014My friend and I had a delightful lunch here. Food was excellent. Service was outstanding. Our waiter took very good care of us. We would definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014I wasn't sure what to expect since the Memorial location, but the food, service and staff provided a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingCAH21Dined on 8/22/2014Highly recommend. Food and service were second to none!!!Special Features:
- Top of the Charts!weekenddinerDined on 8/22/2014Our family of 4 adults dined here on Friday night and could not have asked for a nicer evening. The waiter was outstanding. He was very accommodating with special menu request and very knowledgeable in suggesting food choices. One special thing is that we could carry on a conversation in a normal tone of voice; rare to find these days. We never felt rushed when our dinner was done. It truly is a neighborhood gem, you feel like you are among friends and family when you gather at Union Kitchen on Memorial. We look forward to many more meals there in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too noisy; service spottyNothingSpecialDined on 8/21/2014A previous review of this restaurant commented on the "ambiance" and that was one reason I wanted to try it... if you like so noisy you have to scream to make your dinner companions hear you, then I guess that's one kind of ambiance. Not mine! But that's what most restaurants are nowadays. I'm still searching for a place where I can enjoy good food, good wine AND a conversation. The food and service were not good enough to overcome the screaming. There were no condiments at the table (I like pepper) and after our food was served, we could not get the attention of a waiter or anyone to bring any. It was crowded but that's no excuse for how slow the service was... didn't seem to be enough servers. Anyway, I won't be going back.
- nevergobackVIPDined on 8/17/2014food quality declined over the past year. very disappointing. Union burger was overcooked, onion rings were cold and soggy.Special Features:
- Okay - overpriced for qualityJustthistimeDined on 8/16/2014I have been to the Bellaire location & could not wait to return. The good at Memorial was different - too much sauce. Would not recommend going backSpecial Features:
- BR549Dined on 8/16/2014We were surprised by the decor, tables with cloths, menu selections, server attention. There was a long wait before our food arrived. This needs improvement. Overall we were pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were very pleased!LookingFortheRealDined on 8/15/2014This was our first time. My thought is, we needed a restaurant like this in Kingwood. The staff was on top of things. The food was very good. It is not a chain restaurant like TGI Fridays and there are fifty restaurants in Kingwood and Humble like that. This was a real restaurant! I was very pleased. Thank you for coming to Kingwood! Thank you! The Union Kitchen should do well here.Special Features:
- Yum, Yum, not so YumBandNDined on 8/14/2014The three course Houston Restaurant Weeks menu was sampled as follows: Course 1 - Delicious ceviche and cold cucumber soup (exquisite tastes). Course 2 - Delightful mahi mahi served on perfectly cooked pasta with vegetables. Course 3 - Disappointing desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EdithEdithDined on 8/13/2014Excellent dining experienced with my friends, very good foodSpecial Features:
- Accomodatingtman6312VIPDined on 8/10/2014We were told that they only accept parties of 8 for reservations. We were celabrating my birthday and our group grew to 10 plus a baby and everyone responded positively to accomodate our larger group. This is great customer service, and a sign of great management/leadership. Keep up the great work.Special Features:
- Not very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Waiter was very unhappy thus the whole experience was a disappointment.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014Overall, nice place, for service and ambience, but first and foremost, upscale restaurants should have great food. This was just average food for upscale prices. We had two orders of the steak frites, medium rare, and both were very average. Sauce was good, but the meat was chewy with limited taste - definitely not "choice" cut. The pomme frites were un-remarkable - good taste, but not crisp. The order of Sea Bass was better than average, would get a 4 of 5 rating. The order of Shrimp was average as well - nothing subtle or sophisticated about the seasonings. Salads very good - fresh and crisp. Wine list is pretty good. Our waitress was great. The bottom line for me is I can get better food at many other places for similar pricing.
- Great brunch 10-2GoodieDined on 8/9/2014Loved the beef migas for the brunch offered every day.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and service!KarenBettyDined on 8/8/2014Our family has a new favorite restaurant! We've typically traveled across town to several key "Houston traditions", but The Union Kitchen is now at the top of the list. Not only was the service top-notch, the food is fabulous. AND they have the very best Bread Pudding of any place I've ever eaten at.Special Features:
- Overall very good mealPandasmom1VIPDined on 8/8/2014Food is very good with a few suggestions-fried oyster appetizer was excellent but sauce could use a little more heat. Service was attentive and well paced with the exception of getting drinks, bar may be understaffed as it took over 5 minutes from time we ordered cocktails until they were delivered. We like the decor and the menu is diverse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmedsbr426Dined on 8/6/2014I have eaten here twice and both times, it was kind of a huh, that was OK experience food wise. Not impressed. This time issue was time it took to get our food. Arrived at 12:15, seated immediatedly -place was busy. Drink order taken right away, took a while to take food order. 15 minutes later offered bread. Lunch came at 1:10. Food was cold. I ordered grilled ground chicken breast sandwich with onion rings. Neeless to say neither was good cold. The manager meandered by to check on "how things tasted". I let him know my food was cold and he did offer to replace my lunch, but I just wanted to get my check and leave by then. Too many restaurant choices in Houston so I won't go back to this one.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014i was impressed by the staff. they were attentive, friendly and willing to answer any questions. The place was clean and food was very goodSpecial Features:
- GausDined on 8/1/2014The dinner was very good. We ordered some bread and when it finally came, it was a dried out chunk of bread. It was VERY noisy and coming straight from work, it was not pleasant. I suppose we just have to come much later than ~7:00 PM.Special Features:
- cozy upscale feelrebeccaDined on 7/28/2014i personally like it better for lunch than for dinner,the lunch menu is more diverse than dinner menu. i find the dinner portions small and always lacking a side. I've only dined at the holcombe location. maybe the dinner is better at memorial? i;ve never had lunch at holcombe location but i definitely like the atmosphere at the memorial better. the side wine room feels comfortable and cozy and with the fantastic service...i feel like i'm at an upscale steak house. the holcombe location is nice at dinner if weather is nice but inside there are too many tables, feels crowded and sun is always piercing through and bothering the eyes. i would definitely suggest the union kitchen for lunch (memorial).Special Features:
- Fresh/healthy/"baddest" burgersHollytopVIPDined on 7/28/2014Fresh food, fresh green salads, the "baddest" burgers (quality meat) and the OOOOLALA Stack of incredible onion rings that accompanies the burger.....OMG. The best. I come here at least once a week, bring clients, celebrate occasions with my hubby and friends and we love it & you can hear yourself talk during lunch or dinner - one of the very few places. Separate wine room for events should you choose. Nice bar - amazing Jalapeno Margarita.....just right. Affordable bottles of wine (Rombard). Service above and beyond; they remember your name when you become a regular and they have a Frequent program ($20 card-good investment if you visit a lot) and you get points redeemable on free meal down the road. Weekend brunch - FAB!!!Special Features:
- Delicious!Goinout2niteDined on 7/27/2014The food and service was great. We look forward to visiting again - perhaps trying the brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice place for a nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/23/2014We decided to go out for dinner at the last minute and since we had a brunch here decided to try it for a dinner. Seating was immediate since we had a reservation. It is a realtively small place but does have a patio that looks enjoyable. We stayed inside to enjoy the AC. Waitress was fine, but not as attentive as most. Most of the tables were occupied and thus slighlty on the noisy side. Hard to carry on a quiet conversation. Food was excellent. A niceplace for a dinner with friends and expect a lively crowd.Special Features: