The Union Kitchen (Bellaire)
4057 Bellaire Blvd
Houston, TX 77025Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Union Kitchen (Bellaire)
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theunionkitchen.com/
- Phone: 7136610025
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Juan Arellano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our chef will work with you personally to create a stunning menu for anywhere from 10 to 200 of your closest friends. Our staff will make any event a success.
- Entertainment: Friday Night Live Music On the Patio
A word from The Union Kitchen (Bellaire)
The Union Kitchen features a unique menu served in a casual atmosphere. Our lunch menu focuses on sandwiches, wraps, entree salads and some of the best burgers in Houston. At dinner, steaks, chops, chicken dishes and seafood take center stage. We have a unique hand selected wine list that complements our cuisine perfectly. Brunch is served Saturday and Sunday from 10am till 2pm. Make it a perfect weekend with four different styles of eggs benedict, a lobster omelette, build your own bloody mary bar, and carafes of mimosas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Union Kitchen (Bellaire) - Best Restaurants in Bellaire ›
The Union Kitchen (Bellaire) reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)great for outdoor dining (39)great for brunch (33)good for groups (27)great for lunch (24)fit for foodies (21)kid-friendly (20)notable wine list (14)special occasion (10)hot spot (6)romantic (5)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- DisappointedMattiwDined on 8/18/2014We ALWAYS rave about this restaurant. It is our place. We have eaten there many times and loved it. Our anniversary fell on a Monday night (this week). The food was awful. Salad not fresh. Scallops were half cooked. A definite change in the wrong direction.
- Awesome always!FattyDi1Dined on 8/17/2014This place has always been great! Food, service, this one has it all! No problem recommending this to anyone! Brunch is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingJulieDined on 8/15/2014Steak was not done as we ordered. Scallops were cold in the middle first time second time they were still raw. Very disappointing.
- Glad I went!live2eatDined on 8/12/2014We enjoyed the atmosphere and the chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FishLIZZYVIPDined on 8/9/2014The rainbow trout was excellent. The portions were just right. They are also participating in the August month discount menu. I was very happy with the service.Special Features:
- Excellent time!FoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014This restaurant is a neighborhood gem and it just gets better every year! We have been going from when it was Gina's and whatever name it had before that. This time we tried it for Houston Restaurant Weeks and it was fabulous! Our only minor critical comment is that they did not update or Open Table account (despite telling them when we arrived), but it did get resurrected through Open Table. We will go back again and again!Special Features:
- 2 out of 3AngelshadeDined on 8/2/2014I went with my husband, 1 yr old son, and my parents to try out the Houston Restaurant Weeks prix fixe dinner menu. The appetizers other than the soup were disappointing and failed to whet our appetites since they were utterly tasteless. You get the feeling that all of their appetizers were prepared ahead of time and brought out from the refrigerator. Fortunately, the entrees made up for lackluster appetizers, especially the braised short ribs which were incredibly tender. The gnocchi was prepared perfectly and my husband enjoyed his crusted yellow fin tuna. Another highlight was the vanilla panna cotta for dessert. Yum!!! The flamed fried ice cream was fun for my son to watch, but I felt there was just too much alcohol in it.Special Features:
- JulesDined on 7/29/2014not as good this time as last time we ate there with friends. overall it is a good place for the local neighborhood.Special Features:
- Inconsistent foodTdub01Dined on 7/27/2014This was our 4th visit and I can tell you the food has been hit or miss each time. Our first time was great but not this time. The crab cakes were flavorful, there wasn't much crabmeat. The steaks weren't cooked as ordered; food was lukewarm, but we ate them anyway. The double pork chop came out completely raw in the middle and had to be sent back. We were almost finished with our food before it was brought back to eat. Also, there were at least 5 flies constantly flying around our table likely due to the service door near the kitchen being wide open the entire time. Ultimately, we decided this was our last visit here because honestly for the price, I can get better and more consistent food, service, and cleanliness elsewhere.Special Features:
- Good local spotOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/27/2014Been here a couple times, and food and service are consistent. Plenty of indoor/outdoor seating. Large menu with good selection. Good spot for a casual meal out.Special Features:
- Awesome FoodlovefoodDined on 7/20/2014It is a charming little spot, and packed to capacity Sunday evening dinner crowd so the air conditioning was not the greatest. But our server John Henry was energetic and a great server. I had the double cut pork chops grilled to perfection and my guest had the rib eye steak medium also delicious, can't wait to go back for some seafood choices. The manager Reginald came over to greet us as he recognized we were new comers. Nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just oknotrunningbackVIPDined on 7/20/2014I enjoyed this place a lot once upon a time. Food quality has declined and we saw a roach on our table this visit. Manager moved us and gave a small discount but it didn't make up for a brunch ruined.Special Features:
- Birthday Sunday BrunchSerenasDined on 7/20/2014Table for 4, All ordered an egg dish, build your own Bloody Mary & apps to share. The food was very good but the entrees all came poorly plated. the plates looked sloppy, no garnish not enough hollandaise, in a hurry to plate and get it on the table. Tasted good. The apps & dessert,Chocolate and regular creme brulee very pretty& tasty. Don't bother with build your own drinks, too crowded and busy how many choices of hot sauce do you really need? The tables are very close together, too many for the size of the room, every word from the next table washed over us. The patio used to be very pretty like a garden, now just an ordinary "outdoor space". Our table afforded a view of the service doorway to the kitchen. My guests were uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Crowded, Over pricedeatingouthoustonDined on 7/18/2014We went for a Friday night dinner with our family of 6 adults. Very crowded tables!!!! We began the meal with appetizers-calamari & an order of spinach artichoke dip. Calamari was good, but serving very small for appetizer order. Spinach artichoke dip large, but tasted like it was with "canned spinach". I ordered $16 meatloaf for my main course. Not tasty. It is served with huge serving of mashed potatoes on top and toast on the bottom-"meat loaf" was nothing more than a THIN slice of ground beef(NO SEASONINGS) Other family members said their food was just ok. We've had dinner before at the Memorial location & loved it-We will not return to this location. It's far too expensive to have cafeteria food & tables are too crowded.Special Features:
- DisappointedJMEGDined on 7/13/2014We returned to Union Kitchen expecting the same great food and service we've had in the past. Unfortunately, we didn't get it. Daughter's margherita pizza was inedible-crust was crisp on the edges but extremely soggy and oily elsewhere. Husband's shrimp with crab was good. My filet was excellent but the blue cheese polenta cake was flavorless. Service was poor. Other patrons who arrived later had their dinners before we were asked for drinks. We had to ask for service. Waitress was friendly but inattentive and inept. Had to ask for water. Refills on beverages took several requests and required other staff to deliver them. She forgot the water pitcher on our table and had to come back for it. Other wait staff seemed harried. Won't go back.Special Features:
- Family BrunchJuniorMintDined on 7/13/2014We had a great brunch here with my in-laws! The cocktails were amazing, and everyone loved their food. Plenty of variety from healthy to "all the breakfast meats" and they serve the full menu during brunch hours. We especially enjoyed the French toast as an appetizer. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2014We love that we can come here for a casual dinner, or a special brunch with friends.Special Features:
- Great Food & ServiceBeckyEatsVIPDined on 7/13/2014We were thoroughly impressed. Not only was the food fantastic, but the service was impeccable. We didn't have to ask for anything. Before my water glass was empty, they were filling it up again. We went for brunch on Sunday. The full menu is available during that time. We all opted for breakfast and none of us was disappointed. We shared the orange cinnamon roles. They were light & delicious. Then, we ordered the breakfast sandwich, the chicken & biscuits, and the benedict trio. We loved them all. The potatoes were perfectly cooked. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/4/2014We always enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and great food at Union Kitchen. It is a great place for a casual meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great atmosphereHtownGirlDined on 6/29/2014My husband and I used a groupon deal to come here on a Sunday night. The restaurant was pretty full. The outdoor area was really nice. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the place; it doesn't take itself too seriously. It was warm and inviting. The people there were clearly enjoying themselves. We each ordered a glass of wine and we got the fried asparagus with crab. It was pretty good. For our entrees, my husband had the veal chop and I had the petite filet. My husband enjoyed his. Mine was so delicious. The filet was on top of puréed potatoes and summer vegetables. The whole plate was just scrumptious, not to mention it looked gorgeous. For dessert we had the chocolate tower cake, which was good but next time we will try the cheesecake.Special Features:
- DisappointmentTexadilloDined on 6/26/2014This is the third time we've visited, probably the last for awhile. Service was poor to so-so unless you were noticed to be a regular. Waiting for our food seemed like forever with several patrons around us flagging the waiters and management down.Special Features:
- Service was slow but food was goodhotshotDined on 6/26/2014There were seven of us in our party, including two five year olds. We picked the restaurant due to the fact that it has a good kids' menu and a great overall menu. The food was very good. But the service was extremely slow. They ordered the kids' dinners first. The kids were done eating and our meals hadn't yet arrived. We were there for a long time. It was also crowded and a tight fit because the tables are very close together in the inside dining room. I would definitely go there again but will keep in mind the slow service for next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time not a charmOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2014Been there the first time and everything (food, drinks, service) were excellent. Went back this time and the quality seems to have declined. My fish taste frozen, the kids meatball werent cooked thorough, and my wife chop is over cooked. Service was so-so as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!seanalationDined on 6/14/2014My friend ordered the AMAZING (according her and from what I could see with my own eyes) Lobster Grilled Cheese with Tomato Bisque. I had the delicious Union Burger which came out with 3 giant and delicious onion rings on top. Quite good...can't wait to go back and try that Lobster Grilled Cheese for myself!Special Features:
- Hidden GemTexasBuyerVIPDined on 6/8/2014Great service and food at a friendly, warm neighborhood restaurant. Food is very fresh.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2014The food and service is excellent and location in the heart of Bellaire/Southside Place. We enjoy setting outside and nice décor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itLocalgalDined on 6/6/2014Had a wonderful celebration for my mother's birthday - group of 7 of us. Dinner was terrific, service was outstanding and dessert was to die for! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service at the Union KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/31/2014Although good service should be the rule, it seemed to be the exception at The Union Kitchen. Our waiter misstepped at every opportunity. He poured wine with such velocity that it spilled over the glass and onto the table, he delivered the main course moments after the appetizers arrived, he removed plates and glasses literally while the diners were using them--the list goes on. But perhaps most shocking is that he never showed a sign of concern, as if this type of service was the norm and was to be gratified. I am not so inclined to reward such bad service, even with a smile.Special Features:
- Excellent foodLIZZYVIPDined on 5/24/2014The food came out very quickly. The waitress was ver attentaive. Having the group on made it even better. The food was very good. I will come again to this place.Special Features:
- Consistently goodCooksterDined on 5/23/2014The food is excellent, but the service is slightly lacking. The waitstaff tries, but really, why don't they just write the order down instead of trying to memorize it? They have to repeat it back to us several times just so they won't forget it before they reach the kitchen! And they usually do forget something. They bring it eventually, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceAtmosphereLoverDined on 5/17/2014Service has always been spotty, but tonight's server was inattentive and, speaking generously, not properly trained as a server. A spill on a customer is forgivable, but he failed to bring silverware, didn't check in, got parts of order wrong, etc. Though I like UK for lunch, my husband will not return here for dinner.
- lacklustermrsfisherDined on 5/17/2014The moment we walked up to the hostess, we were greeted and seated promptly. The waiter took a long time to take our drink order. He seemed a bit overwhelmed. After placing our order, he came back and asked for our order again. Pen and paper would've helped. The food arrived. My husband ordered the chicken with goat cheese and sundried tomato pizza and I ordered the pasta Arellano. First impression was the pasta was bland. It needed a pinch of salt and my husband's pizza was just okay. We were waiting to be wowed but it never happened. The manager came to introduced himself. By that time we were ready to leave. But, we wanted to give them a second chance and ordered the bread pudding. And it was good. We won't be coming back.Special Features:
- Love, love, lovesweetondessDined on 5/16/2014I absolutely adore Union Kitchen. It's great for brunch and lunch! Everything I've ordered from here has been delicious.Special Features:
- Awesome brunch menugrlassinDined on 5/11/2014We've eaten dinner and lunch here and were always very happy with our meals. This was our first time here for brunch and it was superb. Best brunch menu I've ever seen. Food excellent. Will be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wvg1Dined on 5/11/2014Staff was extra attentive on this busy Mother's Day. All breakfasts were very good also. High compliments!Special Features:
- The following 201 reviews are from the The Union Kitchen (Bellaire) reviews archive.
- Terrible ServiceTXRestaurantLoverDined on 5/1/2014I had a group of five dining for lunch and it was an effort to get anyone to serve us. When someone finally took our order he didn't write it down, despite several modification requests. Of course, half of the order was delivered incorrectly. We never received any drink refills and were overall very disappointed. I was excited to share this restaurant, but left embarrassed that I recommended it. Please work on your service TUK Bellaire!
- Union Kitchen had an off nightluv2dineDined on 4/30/2014The fresh farm salad is absolutely above reproach! It was when we got to the main course that there were problems. I ordered shrimp stuffed with crab meat with spinach. When it arrived, it was deep fried. Preparation was not listed in the menu but on the other hand, I did not ask. Therefore, I thought it unfair of me to return it. For deep fried food, it was good. I eat healthy for the most part and haven't had anything deep fried for over a year when I ate 2 onion rings. The spinach in my meal was too greasy as well. I didn't see that coming! My dining companion had the special of the day and thoroughly enjoyed it (except for some under cooked pork) and ordered a brownie for dessert. I tried that and it was absolutely decadent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/29/2014the food was great- we loved the chicken fried oysters. we made a meal out of several small plates and had a chance to try different things. Our waiter was attentive and we did not have to wait long for our food. I will go back to try their brunch menu!Special Features:
- Fabulous foodhappysecretaryDined on 4/25/2014My boss took me here for Administrative Professional Week and I had the crispy striped bass and it was amazing! A lot of places overcook or under-cook fish but this was absolutely perfect! I also had the bread pudding for dessert and there are only two places in the Houston area that make perfect bread pudding and Union Kitchen is one of them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good !MindyohbabyDined on 4/20/2014I love this place ! I took my parent and my grandma here for Easter Sunday and they let us order from the regular dinner menu . I think that's cool . People work there are very nice and the food is greatSpecial Features: