The Union Kitchen (Bellaire)
4057 Bellaire Blvd
Houston, TX 77025Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Union Kitchen (Bellaire)
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theunionkitchen.com/
- Phone: 7136610025
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Juan Arellano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our chef will work with you personally to create a stunning menu for anywhere from 10 to 200 of your closest friends. Our staff will make any event a success.
- Entertainment: Friday Night Live Music On the Patio
A word from The Union Kitchen (Bellaire)
The Union Kitchen features a unique menu served in a casual atmosphere. Our lunch menu focuses on sandwiches, wraps, entree salads and some of the best burgers in Houston. At dinner, steaks, chops, chicken dishes and seafood take center stage. We have a unique hand selected wine list that complements our cuisine perfectly. Brunch is served Saturday and Sunday from 10am till 2pm. Make it a perfect weekend with four different styles of eggs benedict, a lobster omelette, build your own bloody mary bar, and carafes of mimosas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Union Kitchen (Bellaire) - Best Restaurants in Bellaire ›
The Union Kitchen (Bellaire) reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (46)great for outdoor dining (34)great for brunch (27)fit for foodies (24)great for lunch (23)good for groups (22)kid-friendly (18)notable wine list (11)hot spot (5)romantic (4)special occasion (4)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Okay DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Had heard great things about Union Kitchen from friends who go frequently. We may have caught them on an off-night, but we felt it was a very marginal experience. We liked the outdoor seating but were seated close to the guitarist and had to lean over the table at each other to talk and be heard. Although we were there for only an hour, it felt that the service was rather slow. I used to wait tables myself, and it seemed under-staffed for the crowd. The waiters were very nice and seemed to be trying to be attentive. I had the meatloaf and my husband had the hamburger both of which were marginal -- hamburger was better than the meatloaf.Special Features:
- Good food, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014i've eaten here several times and never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014my brunch entre was not special or good. Very disappointed.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT IN EVERY REGARDaandsmendozaDined on 10/12/2014I chose this place because of the YELP reviews; all glowing reviews. The restaurant has only been open for 6 months, but they definitely have their stuff together. We had a party of 10 and was placed in this private room that was very cozy and perfect for a small "party". We ordered the meat lovers and the other group special and it was more than enough food to serve 8 people. Paul, the manager, was actually our waiter and he was on top of his game. They made my sister's bday special. Drinks were great too.Special Features:
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 10/10/2014Have been here before and loved it. So disappointed this time. Drinks were sent back as they were watered down,waiter spilled our food on the table never apologized. Once food finally was served never came back to check on us.
- Super accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/5/2014I went to the Union Kitchen for a Birthday Brunch. I made the reservation but forgot to mention that I wanted to sit outside. When I arrived, our table was set up inside but the restaurant quickly set up a table outside after other guests left. The service was wonderful and the food was great. I definitely recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Union KitchenalchsDined on 10/4/2014It was our first time here and I loved the food. Everything tasted fantastic and service was great!Special Features:
- Friday night shouldn't be surprise.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/3/2014It took us 25 min past Our reservation time (we were 10 min early) to be seated, even though the table we were seated at was vacant and set/clean when we arrived. Then it took another 30 to get food. Food was good as usual. Hostess seemed overwhelmed, but why is business on a Friday night surprising?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchHelloitsmeDined on 9/28/2014Honestly, we chose Union Kitchen for the proximity to NRG field as had tickets to the Texans game. We were pleasantly surprised with the brunch menu. I had the special - eggs Benedict over biscuits with spinach and chorizo cream sauce. Delicious! The others in my part had omelets, which they enjoyed. The only complaint is that the skillet potatoes were cold. Other than that, a good experience.Special Features:
- Bad ScallopsTravelerDined on 9/27/2014We started with the chopped salad and Prosciutto wrapped Asparagus spears. Both were excellent and we enjoyed them and we would order them again. We both ordered Scallops for a main course. The Scallops were terrible. Each plate had 4 medium sized scallops and of the 8 scallops, 7 tasted of a strong chemical flavor. Kind of like a cleaning fluid. Only one tasted sweet like a scallop should. When the waiter stopped by for the token "how is everything" we told him the scallops were inedible. The waiter mumbled something and left. We waited maybe 10 minutes and he stopped back by to "check" again and noticed we weren't eating so he asked if we needed to go boxes and we again told him the food was inedible. Nothing was offered.
- Great foodWandaDined on 9/27/2014The Union Kitchen has a good vibe and serves up spectacular food. 4 of us had dinner that included an appetizer, beer, a bottle of wine, 4 entrees and a dessert for &139!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost thereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014Needs help on decor, very spartan. Good food selection, but two items on the menu were not available. Although our server was extremely attentive and was friendly, he needed additional training on the products he was selling, what they were, how they were prepared and what was in stock. Pork chop was wonderful, although I would have rather had the pork shank (out)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/19/2014Fantastic as usual. We always have a wonderful time and great meal at TUK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food poor serviceAhmeshaDined on 9/14/2014Food and prices are wonderful. The service is very poor. We were the first customers and it still took 15 minutes to get drinks then another 20 minutes for order to be taken. Cooks work fast to get good out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMattiwDined on 8/18/2014We ALWAYS rave about this restaurant. It is our place. We have eaten there many times and loved it. Our anniversary fell on a Monday night (this week). The food was awful. Salad not fresh. Scallops were half cooked. A definite change in the wrong direction.
- Awesome always!FattyDi1Dined on 8/17/2014This place has always been great! Food, service, this one has it all! No problem recommending this to anyone! Brunch is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingJulieDined on 8/15/2014Steak was not done as we ordered. Scallops were cold in the middle first time second time they were still raw. Very disappointing.
- Glad I went!live2eatVIPDined on 8/12/2014We enjoyed the atmosphere and the chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FishLIZZYVIPDined on 8/9/2014The rainbow trout was excellent. The portions were just right. They are also participating in the August month discount menu. I was very happy with the service.Special Features:
- Excellent time!FoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014This restaurant is a neighborhood gem and it just gets better every year! We have been going from when it was Gina's and whatever name it had before that. This time we tried it for Houston Restaurant Weeks and it was fabulous! Our only minor critical comment is that they did not update or Open Table account (despite telling them when we arrived), but it did get resurrected through Open Table. We will go back again and again!Special Features:
- 2 out of 3AngelshadeDined on 8/2/2014I went with my husband, 1 yr old son, and my parents to try out the Houston Restaurant Weeks prix fixe dinner menu. The appetizers other than the soup were disappointing and failed to whet our appetites since they were utterly tasteless. You get the feeling that all of their appetizers were prepared ahead of time and brought out from the refrigerator. Fortunately, the entrees made up for lackluster appetizers, especially the braised short ribs which were incredibly tender. The gnocchi was prepared perfectly and my husband enjoyed his crusted yellow fin tuna. Another highlight was the vanilla panna cotta for dessert. Yum!!! The flamed fried ice cream was fun for my son to watch, but I felt there was just too much alcohol in it.Special Features:
- JulesDined on 7/29/2014not as good this time as last time we ate there with friends. overall it is a good place for the local neighborhood.Special Features:
- Inconsistent foodTdub01Dined on 7/27/2014This was our 4th visit and I can tell you the food has been hit or miss each time. Our first time was great but not this time. The crab cakes were flavorful, there wasn't much crabmeat. The steaks weren't cooked as ordered; food was lukewarm, but we ate them anyway. The double pork chop came out completely raw in the middle and had to be sent back. We were almost finished with our food before it was brought back to eat. Also, there were at least 5 flies constantly flying around our table likely due to the service door near the kitchen being wide open the entire time. Ultimately, we decided this was our last visit here because honestly for the price, I can get better and more consistent food, service, and cleanliness elsewhere.Special Features:
- Good local spotOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/27/2014Been here a couple times, and food and service are consistent. Plenty of indoor/outdoor seating. Large menu with good selection. Good spot for a casual meal out.Special Features:
- Awesome FoodlovefoodDined on 7/20/2014It is a charming little spot, and packed to capacity Sunday evening dinner crowd so the air conditioning was not the greatest. But our server John Henry was energetic and a great server. I had the double cut pork chops grilled to perfection and my guest had the rib eye steak medium also delicious, can't wait to go back for some seafood choices. The manager Reginald came over to greet us as he recognized we were new comers. Nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just oknotrunningbackVIPDined on 7/20/2014I enjoyed this place a lot once upon a time. Food quality has declined and we saw a roach on our table this visit. Manager moved us and gave a small discount but it didn't make up for a brunch ruined.Special Features:
- Birthday Sunday BrunchSerenasDined on 7/20/2014Table for 4, All ordered an egg dish, build your own Bloody Mary & apps to share. The food was very good but the entrees all came poorly plated. the plates looked sloppy, no garnish not enough hollandaise, in a hurry to plate and get it on the table. Tasted good. The apps & dessert,Chocolate and regular creme brulee very pretty& tasty. Don't bother with build your own drinks, too crowded and busy how many choices of hot sauce do you really need? The tables are very close together, too many for the size of the room, every word from the next table washed over us. The patio used to be very pretty like a garden, now just an ordinary "outdoor space". Our table afforded a view of the service doorway to the kitchen. My guests were uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Crowded, Over pricedeatingouthoustonDined on 7/18/2014We went for a Friday night dinner with our family of 6 adults. Very crowded tables!!!! We began the meal with appetizers-calamari & an order of spinach artichoke dip. Calamari was good, but serving very small for appetizer order. Spinach artichoke dip large, but tasted like it was with "canned spinach". I ordered $16 meatloaf for my main course. Not tasty. It is served with huge serving of mashed potatoes on top and toast on the bottom-"meat loaf" was nothing more than a THIN slice of ground beef(NO SEASONINGS) Other family members said their food was just ok. We've had dinner before at the Memorial location & loved it-We will not return to this location. It's far too expensive to have cafeteria food & tables are too crowded.Special Features:
- DisappointedJMEGDined on 7/13/2014We returned to Union Kitchen expecting the same great food and service we've had in the past. Unfortunately, we didn't get it. Daughter's margherita pizza was inedible-crust was crisp on the edges but extremely soggy and oily elsewhere. Husband's shrimp with crab was good. My filet was excellent but the blue cheese polenta cake was flavorless. Service was poor. Other patrons who arrived later had their dinners before we were asked for drinks. We had to ask for service. Waitress was friendly but inattentive and inept. Had to ask for water. Refills on beverages took several requests and required other staff to deliver them. She forgot the water pitcher on our table and had to come back for it. Other wait staff seemed harried. Won't go back.Special Features:
- Family BrunchJuniorMintDined on 7/13/2014We had a great brunch here with my in-laws! The cocktails were amazing, and everyone loved their food. Plenty of variety from healthy to "all the breakfast meats" and they serve the full menu during brunch hours. We especially enjoyed the French toast as an appetizer. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2014We love that we can come here for a casual dinner, or a special brunch with friends.Special Features:
- Great Food & ServiceBeckyEatsVIPDined on 7/13/2014We were thoroughly impressed. Not only was the food fantastic, but the service was impeccable. We didn't have to ask for anything. Before my water glass was empty, they were filling it up again. We went for brunch on Sunday. The full menu is available during that time. We all opted for breakfast and none of us was disappointed. We shared the orange cinnamon roles. They were light & delicious. Then, we ordered the breakfast sandwich, the chicken & biscuits, and the benedict trio. We loved them all. The potatoes were perfectly cooked. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/4/2014We always enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and great food at Union Kitchen. It is a great place for a casual meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great atmosphereHtownGirlDined on 6/29/2014My husband and I used a groupon deal to come here on a Sunday night. The restaurant was pretty full. The outdoor area was really nice. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the place; it doesn't take itself too seriously. It was warm and inviting. The people there were clearly enjoying themselves. We each ordered a glass of wine and we got the fried asparagus with crab. It was pretty good. For our entrees, my husband had the veal chop and I had the petite filet. My husband enjoyed his. Mine was so delicious. The filet was on top of puréed potatoes and summer vegetables. The whole plate was just scrumptious, not to mention it looked gorgeous. For dessert we had the chocolate tower cake, which was good but next time we will try the cheesecake.Special Features:
- DisappointmentTexadilloDined on 6/26/2014This is the third time we've visited, probably the last for awhile. Service was poor to so-so unless you were noticed to be a regular. Waiting for our food seemed like forever with several patrons around us flagging the waiters and management down.Special Features:
- Service was slow but food was goodhotshotDined on 6/26/2014There were seven of us in our party, including two five year olds. We picked the restaurant due to the fact that it has a good kids' menu and a great overall menu. The food was very good. But the service was extremely slow. They ordered the kids' dinners first. The kids were done eating and our meals hadn't yet arrived. We were there for a long time. It was also crowded and a tight fit because the tables are very close together in the inside dining room. I would definitely go there again but will keep in mind the slow service for next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 215 reviews are from the The Union Kitchen (Bellaire) reviews archive.
- 2nd time not a charmOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2014Been there the first time and everything (food, drinks, service) were excellent. Went back this time and the quality seems to have declined. My fish taste frozen, the kids meatball werent cooked thorough, and my wife chop is over cooked. Service was so-so as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!seanalationDined on 6/14/2014My friend ordered the AMAZING (according her and from what I could see with my own eyes) Lobster Grilled Cheese with Tomato Bisque. I had the delicious Union Burger which came out with 3 giant and delicious onion rings on top. Quite good...can't wait to go back and try that Lobster Grilled Cheese for myself!Special Features:
- Hidden GemTexasBuyerVIPDined on 6/8/2014Great service and food at a friendly, warm neighborhood restaurant. Food is very fresh.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2014The food and service is excellent and location in the heart of Bellaire/Southside Place. We enjoy setting outside and nice décor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.