The Union Kitchen (Bellaire)
4057 Bellaire Blvd
Houston, TX 77025Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Union Kitchen (Bellaire)
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theunionkitchen.com/
- Phone: (713) 661-0025
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Juan Arellano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our chef will work with you personally to create a stunning menu for anywhere from 10 to 200 of your closest friends. Our staff will make any event a success.
- Entertainment: Friday Night Live Music On the Patio
A word from The Union Kitchen (Bellaire)
The Union Kitchen features a unique menu served in a casual atmosphere. Our lunch menu focuses on sandwiches, wraps, entree salads and some of the best burgers in Houston. At dinner, steaks, chops, chicken dishes and seafood take center stage. We have a unique hand selected wine list that complements our cuisine perfectly. Brunch is served Saturday and Sunday from 10am till 2pm. Make it a perfect weekend with four different styles of eggs benedict, a lobster omelette, build your own bloody mary bar, and carafes of mimosas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Union Kitchen (Bellaire) reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)great for outdoor dining (28)great for brunch (27)fit for foodies (22)great for lunch (22)good for groups (21)kid-friendly (18)notable wine list (8)hot spot (5)romantic (3)special occasion (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Hip, fun scene is hopping weeknightsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/25/2014We greatly enjoyed our meal although we didn't fell as though the cuisine reflected the "farm to table" approach we were expecting from the description. All of our entrees were great. Food nicely plated. Little slow to give us attention when we were first seated, and a little slow on refilling drinks (we are non-alcohol drinkers, lot of soda/water @ no $). We had two deserts; the bread pudding was the better of the two. Tried a couple of small plates; crab cakes were awesome. Everyone enjoyed entrees although I thought there could have been a larger helping of squash with my short ribs. Only real downside - we felt food was a tad salty after getting home. We would definitely return if we lived in town (we are from Boulder Co with a LOT of great dining options. Word of caution: Do NOT park in the lot next door!! There are signs warning against parking we saw on the way Out, but missed on the way in. Luckily, we were not towed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/23/2014This place is adorable! I had the pancake sliders for brunch and I wasn't really that impressed honestly. I will def come back, just try something new next time. There's alot of yummy sounding things on the menu. The others that were with me loved what they got (Paul's sandwich, and a breakfast bowl I dont remember the name of). I came on a beautiful day and I wish we had requested the outdoor area. It's very cute.Special Features:
- We did not eat at the Bellaire location.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014We did not eat at the Bellaire location. We ate at the Memorial Drive (77024) location. We always enjoy it, and the service was excellent as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/13/2014This restaurant continues to get better and better. Dinner selections are quite varied, and everything we have ordered has been very, very good. Favorites are the Pistachio-Crusted Chicken; House Prepared Ravioli; Peggy’s Diver Scallops; and any of the pizzas. Start your meal with the Union Chopped salad or the House Salad. Wine list has many good selections and prices are quite reasonable. Service is excellent. It’s a great place to have very close to home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/7/2014We love this neighborhood spot. The menu is diverse and the food is good. However, the service is very inconsistent and it is always slow. Which with kids can be an issue. However, when you get lucky and have good service, it's one of our favorite weeknight places in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/3/2014We pass by here often and decided to give it a try. The description of the food on the menu didn't compare to what we actually received. It wasn't bad, but wasn't quite what I expected. The risotto was basically regular white rice with cheese, yet still tasty. Our waitress was nice and so was the rest of the staff. The chef did come over and speak to us. We will try it again and see if our next experience is the same before deciding if we will write it off or not. Again, the food wasn't bad, just not what I expected after reading the description of the dishes.
- foodpoliceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014Great experience...easy parking, great service and large menu. Have taken visitors to Houston here and all were really impressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here & we will be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/29/2014The food was very good. Everyone loved what they ordered. The staff was all very friendly. This was my first time here but I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Fab Brunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014Union Kitchen has something for everyone on the menu. The prices are reasonable. Very big covered out side patio. Good service. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2014The food was decent, but the follow through was poor. More than one item had to go back to the kitchen, and although the supervisory staff was very attentive the wait-staff was sub-par. The ambiance was great, great brunch spot...kid friendly but neither the food not the service stood out.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Wonderful food! Pancake sliders are awesome and fried chicken and biscuits write amazing too! Bottomless mimosas for$9.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014spin dip was excellent. steak was so-so with excellent fries. the chocolate tower for dessert was AMAZING!!!!!!!!! overall a lovely experience. nicer end food with more casual vibe.Special Features:
- Okay DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Had heard great things about Union Kitchen from friends who go frequently. We may have caught them on an off-night, but we felt it was a very marginal experience. We liked the outdoor seating but were seated close to the guitarist and had to lean over the table at each other to talk and be heard. Although we were there for only an hour, it felt that the service was rather slow. I used to wait tables myself, and it seemed under-staffed for the crowd. The waiters were very nice and seemed to be trying to be attentive. I had the meatloaf and my husband had the hamburger both of which were marginal -- hamburger was better than the meatloaf.Special Features:
- Good food, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014i've eaten here several times and never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014my brunch entre was not special or good. Very disappointed.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT IN EVERY REGARDOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/12/2014I chose this place because of the YELP reviews; all glowing reviews. The restaurant has only been open for 6 months, but they definitely have their stuff together. We had a party of 10 and was placed in this private room that was very cozy and perfect for a small "party". We ordered the meat lovers and the other group special and it was more than enough food to serve 8 people. Paul, the manager, was actually our waiter and he was on top of his game. They made my sister's bday special. Drinks were great too.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Have been here before and loved it. So disappointed this time. Drinks were sent back as they were watered down,waiter spilled our food on the table never apologized. Once food finally was served never came back to check on us.
- Super accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/5/2014I went to the Union Kitchen for a Birthday Brunch. I made the reservation but forgot to mention that I wanted to sit outside. When I arrived, our table was set up inside but the restaurant quickly set up a table outside after other guests left. The service was wonderful and the food was great. I definitely recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Union KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014It was our first time here and I loved the food. Everything tasted fantastic and service was great!Special Features:
- Friday night shouldn't be surprise.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/3/2014It took us 25 min past Our reservation time (we were 10 min early) to be seated, even though the table we were seated at was vacant and set/clean when we arrived. Then it took another 30 to get food. Food was good as usual. Hostess seemed overwhelmed, but why is business on a Friday night surprising?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/28/2014Honestly, we chose Union Kitchen for the proximity to NRG field as had tickets to the Texans game. We were pleasantly surprised with the brunch menu. I had the special - eggs Benedict over biscuits with spinach and chorizo cream sauce. Delicious! The others in my part had omelets, which they enjoyed. The only complaint is that the skillet potatoes were cold. Other than that, a good experience.Special Features:
- Bad ScallopsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2014We started with the chopped salad and Prosciutto wrapped Asparagus spears. Both were excellent and we enjoyed them and we would order them again. We both ordered Scallops for a main course. The Scallops were terrible. Each plate had 4 medium sized scallops and of the 8 scallops, 7 tasted of a strong chemical flavor. Kind of like a cleaning fluid. Only one tasted sweet like a scallop should. When the waiter stopped by for the token "how is everything" we told him the scallops were inedible. The waiter mumbled something and left. We waited maybe 10 minutes and he stopped back by to "check" again and noticed we weren't eating so he asked if we needed to go boxes and we again told him the food was inedible. Nothing was offered.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014The Union Kitchen has a good vibe and serves up spectacular food. 4 of us had dinner that included an appetizer, beer, a bottle of wine, 4 entrees and a dessert for &139!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost thereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014Needs help on decor, very spartan. Good food selection, but two items on the menu were not available. Although our server was extremely attentive and was friendly, he needed additional training on the products he was selling, what they were, how they were prepared and what was in stock. Pork chop was wonderful, although I would have rather had the pork shank (out)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/19/2014Fantastic as usual. We always have a wonderful time and great meal at TUK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014Food and prices are wonderful. The service is very poor. We were the first customers and it still took 15 minutes to get drinks then another 20 minutes for order to be taken. Cooks work fast to get good out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014We ALWAYS rave about this restaurant. It is our place. We have eaten there many times and loved it. Our anniversary fell on a Monday night (this week). The food was awful. Salad not fresh. Scallops were half cooked. A definite change in the wrong direction.
- Awesome always!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014This place has always been great! Food, service, this one has it all! No problem recommending this to anyone! Brunch is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Steak was not done as we ordered. Scallops were cold in the middle first time second time they were still raw. Very disappointing.
- Glad I went!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/12/2014We enjoyed the atmosphere and the chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FishOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2014The rainbow trout was excellent. The portions were just right. They are also participating in the August month discount menu. I was very happy with the service.Special Features:
- Excellent time!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/5/2014This restaurant is a neighborhood gem and it just gets better every year! We have been going from when it was Gina's and whatever name it had before that. This time we tried it for Houston Restaurant Weeks and it was fabulous! Our only minor critical comment is that they did not update or Open Table account (despite telling them when we arrived), but it did get resurrected through Open Table. We will go back again and again!Special Features:
- 2 out of 3OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/2/2014I went with my husband, 1 yr old son, and my parents to try out the Houston Restaurant Weeks prix fixe dinner menu. The appetizers other than the soup were disappointing and failed to whet our appetites since they were utterly tasteless. You get the feeling that all of their appetizers were prepared ahead of time and brought out from the refrigerator. Fortunately, the entrees made up for lackluster appetizers, especially the braised short ribs which were incredibly tender. The gnocchi was prepared perfectly and my husband enjoyed his crusted yellow fin tuna. Another highlight was the vanilla panna cotta for dessert. Yum!!! The flamed fried ice cream was fun for my son to watch, but I felt there was just too much alcohol in it.Special Features:
- The following 230 reviews are from the The Union Kitchen (Bellaire) reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/29/2014not as good this time as last time we ate there with friends. overall it is a good place for the local neighborhood.Special Features:
- Inconsistent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2014This was our 4th visit and I can tell you the food has been hit or miss each time. Our first time was great but not this time. The crab cakes were flavorful, there wasn't much crabmeat. The steaks weren't cooked as ordered; food was lukewarm, but we ate them anyway. The double pork chop came out completely raw in the middle and had to be sent back. We were almost finished with our food before it was brought back to eat. Also, there were at least 5 flies constantly flying around our table likely due to the service door near the kitchen being wide open the entire time. Ultimately, we decided this was our last visit here because honestly for the price, I can get better and more consistent food, service, and cleanliness elsewhere.Special Features:
- Good local spotOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/27/2014Been here a couple times, and food and service are consistent. Plenty of indoor/outdoor seating. Large menu with good selection. Good spot for a casual meal out.Special Features:
- Awesome FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2014It is a charming little spot, and packed to capacity Sunday evening dinner crowd so the air conditioning was not the greatest. But our server John Henry was energetic and a great server. I had the double cut pork chops grilled to perfection and my guest had the rib eye steak medium also delicious, can't wait to go back for some seafood choices. The manager Reginald came over to greet us as he recognized we were new comers. Nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/20/2014I enjoyed this place a lot once upon a time. Food quality has declined and we saw a roach on our table this visit. Manager moved us and gave a small discount but it didn't make up for a brunch ruined.Special Features:
- Birthday Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2014Table for 4, All ordered an egg dish, build your own Bloody Mary & apps to share. The food was very good but the entrees all came poorly plated. the plates looked sloppy, no garnish not enough hollandaise, in a hurry to plate and get it on the table. Tasted good. The apps & dessert,Chocolate and regular creme brulee very pretty& tasty. Don't bother with build your own drinks, too crowded and busy how many choices of hot sauce do you really need? The tables are very close together, too many for the size of the room, every word from the next table washed over us. The patio used to be very pretty like a garden, now just an ordinary "outdoor space". Our table afforded a view of the service doorway to the kitchen. My guests were uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Crowded, Over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014We went for a Friday night dinner with our family of 6 adults. Very crowded tables!!!! We began the meal with appetizers-calamari & an order of spinach artichoke dip. Calamari was good, but serving very small for appetizer order. Spinach artichoke dip large, but tasted like it was with "canned spinach". I ordered $16 meatloaf for my main course. Not tasty. It is served with huge serving of mashed potatoes on top and toast on the bottom-"meat loaf" was nothing more than a THIN slice of ground beef(NO SEASONINGS) Other family members said their food was just ok. We've had dinner before at the Memorial location & loved it-We will not return to this location. It's far too expensive to have cafeteria food & tables are too crowded.Special Features: