The Union Canal House
107 S Hanover St
Hershey, PA 17033Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Union Canal House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.unioncanalhousehershey.com/
- Phone: 7175660054
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Edward J. Monuteaux
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Union Canal House has 4 separate dining rooms that can accommodate up to 30 people per room. In addition to our full menu, we can work with you to develop special party menus at set price points.
- Private Party Contact: Judy Hogarth 7175660054
A word from The Union Canal House
Family owned for over forty years, the Union Canal House continues to set the standard for fine cuisine, service and hospitality. Since 1751, The rural hideaway has offered tempting food and refreshing drinks. Nestled in the heart of the village of Union Deposit, Hershey, Pa., soldiers from the French, Indian and Revolutionary Wars were the restaurant"s first patrons. The Union Canal House features a succulent selection of fresh fish prepared daily and the highest quality steaks. Patrons can enjoy classic entrees such as Veal Marsala, Long Island Duckling, Barramundi and of course our signature Crab Cakes made with 100% fresh lump crabmeat. Our new menu also includes various salads, mouth watering appetizers and homemade desserts. We also offer an extensive wine list, a wide variety of domestic and imported beer and specialy drinks to compliment your dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Union Canal House - Best Restaurants in Hershey ›
The Union Canal House reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (17)special occasion (14)good for groups (12)romantic (11)fit for foodies (7)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- pleasant local surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We were looking for a local option in the Hershey area. Food was very good and creatively prepared. Owner/hostess was gracious. History of the building added to the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic FindOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014lots of history in this place......delicious meal......good service.......quiet......new owner really on the ball.....nicely renovated after the floodSpecial Features:
- Mom's BirthdayBTKDinerDined on 9/20/2014This was our first visit to the Union Canal House. We celebrated my Mother's birthday and we had an excellent time! The service was awesome, the food amazing and the location perfect! Thank you for making my Mother's birthday truly special.Special Features:
- First time was a hit.RockyscarolDined on 9/13/2014This was the first time visiting this restaurant. The place reminded me of a renovated old farm house, cozy with low lighting. The live guitar music was a nice touch & the staff was very friendly. There was a mix up with our order, but the food was excellent. I recommend, if you are near Hershey Park, & you want a good dinner spot, check out this spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedWJZ862Dined on 9/12/2014There was little to recommend about our experience at this restaurant. They were seriously understaffed and the owner seemed clueless. Our table was not ready when we arrived (we had a reservation)and the owner pointed to a table and said that will be your table in a few minutes. We sat at the bar and in a few minutes she gave the table to another couple who had just come in. She then came to us and asked if we were waiting for a table. The evening went down from there. We waited forever for everything the whole meal. The food was mediocre at best. There was a stale over cooked baked potato, tough veal Marsala, boring blackened steak and just nothing memorable. The waitress seemed pleasant, but had too many tables to take care of.
- Great FindKDogDined on 9/11/2014We were visiting from Atlanta and tried the Union Canal House because it was locally owned. It exceeded all of our expectations. The food was excellent. The chef came out of the kitchen to discuss entree's with us. The 3 of us ordered something different: fish special, seafood and filet. Everything was cooked to order and tasted fantastic. Next time we are in the area, we will be making the trip back to the Union Canal House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food,service found wantingTom5Dined on 9/11/2014The food was a success. At least two of us had the crabcakes which were quite good. The bouillabaisse was also enjoyed by several people. However, the service was really not up to snuff. We had asked for water multiple times and she had a lot of problems figuring out payment for multiple people. The caveat to the service is the fact that we were a table of 10 which always makes the servers job more difficult. However, I've seen other waitstaff handle even more people much more smoothly. When you add the fact that the house added a 21% gratuity for less than stellar service, is compounded the issue.Special Features:
- Great find!Granddogs2VIPDined on 9/9/2014A few friends were on a short getaway in Hershey. Wanting to gave dinner outside of the hotel we returned to Union Canal, where some of us had dined in the past. Between that time and the present the restaurant had been rebuilt after being destroyed by a flood. So,we kept our fingers crossed that it would still be wonderful. We were NOT disappointed! We enjoyed every fantastic mouthful. :)Special Features:
- Great way to celebrate.25thAnniversaryDined on 8/26/2014Dinner was delicious. Pleasant surprise since great tasting fish is hard to find at a restaurant. Service was wonderful. Romantic and intimate setting. Just what we were looking for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic findspotty26Dined on 8/20/2014Rather than eating at nearby Hershey Park, my family and I searched for an alternative online. Found The Union Canal House & really happy we gave it a try. Nice bar inside, low lighting with candles, super friendly staff, and delicious food. Can't believe it was so close to the land of Hershey's Kisses, hot dogs & french fries! Would definitely recommend this to anyone visiting the area and looking for somewhere special to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, new owner is crazy.GaryVIPDined on 8/14/2014We made a reservation based on reviews under previous ownership. Turns out, new owner is VERY focused on herself and not the food, servers or customers. We ordered a large amount and they were out of, the first wine, spinach, earl grey tea, veal Oskar (had ALL ingredients but just not serving it), a second bottle of the wine we ended up with, baked potatoes and 6 other items. In the meantime the owner stopped by twice; once to say what a great choose we made and secondly to insult the servers for not lighting candles. No mention of missing items. To sum up, don't go. Super sad. If you do, please tip Jessica and Holly very, very well. It isn't their fault!
- Great find in HerhseyKL644Dined on 8/2/2014We found this great restaurant for dinner while visiting Hershey. The restaurant is an old historic tavern. Large parking lot with plenty of spaces. Great food, excellent service. We very much enjoyed the clams casino and ragout as appetizers and the trout and veal Marsala as our mains. When in Hershey we will defintely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint, historic and warm environsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014Food was exceptionally prepared. Menu was eclectic, especially the appetizers, but very much to my liking with plenty of good old American offerings. Prices were reasonable for fine dining and matched what the Web site showed so there were no tricks or surprises. The layout of the interior creates a warm and cozy feel that suits the small village "tavern" style and history of the place. I was very pleased to dine here, as were the 3 other adults I brought along. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- under new managementGlandManDined on 7/26/2014Old favorite under new management. was told that the chef was the same. surprisingly not as busy as before.Special Features:
- couple from townOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014food was great, service was also great. BUT, before we went to the restaurant, i checked the menu on line. the blackened delmonico was 29.95 when we got the check, we were charged 34.95 for the stakeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu online not correctTK2014VIPDined on 6/28/2014We were visiting from out to town, and when we found this restaurant and saw the menu online, we were excited to try it out. When we got to the restaurant and sat down, the menu was completely different then what was online. We said something to the server, and she said she knew about it and it wasn't her problem. With Hershey attracting so many tourists, if would probably be best if the restaurant updates their menu online, or take it off the website altogether. The food we ordered was alright.
- Dinner and a Mini-TourKatiesAmaDined on 6/28/2014We were there on a Saturday night - we made reservations, but really didn't need them. It was busy but not crowded. We were warmly greeted at the door, and our server was excellent. Our meals were good, but a little pricy for a casual night out. After dinner, we learned a little about the history of the restaurant/inn, and had a "mini-tour" of the basement to see the tunnel system that was used for underground travel between nearby buildings. All-in-all a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodUshkyVIPDined on 6/27/2014This was the 3rd time I've been here since it reopened and the food is solid. Saw a review for the Delmonico steak so gave it a try. It was very good! The calamari app was different and very tasty although I would have liked it if it was little crispier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the best duckOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2014So glad Union Canal House reopened after the flood. The duck l'orange is as good as it was 15 yrs. ago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too priceyHrshyLocalVIPDined on 6/13/2014Nice place and the food was good but too expensive. Five star prices for three star quality.
- owner is a crookUnhappyDined on 6/3/2014I had purchased a gift card from the owner before the flood and after he finally reopened he had a new computer system and would not honor the gift card because the new machines do not recognize it. I was out the money I paid for the gift card to my daughter. Also my son broke a tooth while eating his meal and went to the restroom. I told the waitress what happened and she didn't care.
- The following 55 reviews are from the The Union Canal House reviews archive.
- DinnermattDined on 5/24/2014Food was good, service was good. Portions are not large. Had iceburg salad, but the housemade blue cheese dressing was spread like butter on the lettuce... i prefer a little more, certainly enough that i can get some on every bite of lettuce!
- Best Steak AroundLukealiciousDined on 5/21/2014My wife and I had been at the Union Canal House before the flood and I had always said that the steak I had there was the best steak I had ever had. I decided to take my wife there for our wedding anniversary and of course I had to order the blackened Delmonico steak. We decided to order the crab cake dinner and share the steak and crab cakes. The steak lived up to my previous experience - it melted in my mouth and had a truly delectable taste. I told the manager that there was only one slight problem...it was gone!!! The crab cakes were excellent; the portabello mushroom appetizer was out of this world. The waitress, Jessica, was very nice and personable and tended to our every need. One of the best restaurants around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have benn here beforeAdymVIPDined on 5/10/2014Food and service were excellent. Will definitely schedule a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Food is very good. Appetizers outstanding. Could make a meal on just the tasty appetizers. Definitely will be back.Special Features:
- love2dineoutDined on 5/9/2014The service was absolutely the best. Our waitress was appropriately attentive. Food was very good also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodGoRideDined on 5/3/2014The Chef at the Union Canal House makes just wonderful seafood and steak dishes with his own twist. Try the appetizers for sure, they are best with signature touches to each item.Special Features:
- Disappointing servicePolitedinerDined on 4/26/2014While our meal was tasty, it was quite obvious our server was annoyed that we didn't order beverages (besides water) or dessert. She seemed anxious to get rid of us. We were quiet, polite, and certainly not demanding.
- We shared our entreesgokarter1952Dined on 4/25/2014There were four at our table and when the food came, we had plate envy as we admired each others meals. The solution? Share bites! The trout was wonderful. The filet butter soft. The portabella appetizer was another great share. We had fun when we described what we like in a mixed drink and the bartender made up a unique concoction just for us.Special Features:
- Nice find!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2014While spending Easter weekend at Hershey Lodge and not being able to find a reservation on property we looked up other options and this place caught our eye. The food was excellent and had a great variety for every type of pallet. The service was extremely friendly and accommodating. They welcomed our family and our children ordered off the regular menu with a steak and fish that was great!!! The older building was a great place filled with lots of history. Really felt like we found a hidden gem. I would definitely go here again next time we are visiting Hershey!!!Special Features:
- Friendly staff & deliciousLove2eatDined on 4/4/2014Friendly staff & delicious food. If you have a child ask to see the tunnel. For small children bring a few activities to keep them entertained while you enjoy the yummy food! Will defiantly be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsRdiefDined on 3/28/2014This was my first time back since the flood and it was better than ever. The meals were great and the atmosphere was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visit!PickyDiner22Dined on 3/28/2014We were fans of this place years ago and then it really went downhill and eventually flooded and closed. Now it is reopened with a new owner who has restored it to its glory -- good food, friendly service -- glad it is back. We'll return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasantly pleasedriponeDined on 3/21/2014very nice atmosphere, pleasant staff, food very good... waitress was friendly, helpful, knowledgeable. well worth the trip!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were at the Union CanalTwoSeniorsDined on 3/21/2014We were at the Union Canal House early on Friday evening. The service was excellent. We enjoyed the food, especially the portabella mushroom appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like duckWoodyDined on 3/20/2014Without a doubt, the Union Canal House is the best place in central Pennsylvania to order duck. Make certain you place your order for the duck when you make your reservation - so they have it available - they do not make more than they actually need. While the cost of their entrees are a little higher than the average restaurant, the quality of the meal is worth it. The newly renovated facility is very comfortable. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always cozydvizVIPDined on 3/7/2014UCH is always welcoming and cozy. Chef is fabulous and specials are always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Hershey Area for DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014We have found this restaurant to have the best food in the Hershey/Hummelstown area. The chef is phenomenal! We give it a a five star for food, service, friendliness. So glad we discovered the Union Canal House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Evening!GreenDined on 3/1/2014Reservations for 6PM, seated immediately, cocktails were served quickly, Dinners (Maine Lobster tails and Blackened Delmonico Steak) were ordered with caution that I have a garlic allergy. Chef came to our table a few minutes later and explained that the seasoning used to blacken steak contained garlic but he would use another that did not contain garlic. Meals were very good as were deserts of creme bruele and key lime pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back...BobutskiDined on 3/1/2014My wife and I scouted The Union Canal House in anticipation of taking a group of eight there in April. I'm so glad we did. Dinner was excellent. It was a bit pricey, but the quality of the food and service (Jessica) made up for it. This place is a historic gem, and that adds to its ambience. So....we'll be back with the gang!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.