The Union Canal House
107 S Hanover St
Hershey, PA 17033Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Union Canal House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.unioncanalhousehershey.com/
- Phone: (717) 566-0054
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Edward J. Monuteaux
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Union Canal House has 4 separate dining rooms that can accommodate up to 30 people per room. In addition to our full menu, we can work with you to develop special party menus at set price points.
- Private Party Contact: Judy Hogarth 7175660054
A word from The Union Canal House
Family owned for over forty years, the Union Canal House continues to set the standard for fine cuisine, service and hospitality. Since 1751, The rural hideaway has offered tempting food and refreshing drinks. Nestled in the heart of the village of Union Deposit, Hershey, Pa., soldiers from the French, Indian and Revolutionary Wars were the restaurant"s first patrons. The Union Canal House features a succulent selection of fresh fish prepared daily and the highest quality steaks. Patrons can enjoy classic entrees such as Veal Marsala, Long Island Duckling, Barramundi and of course our signature Crab Cakes made with 100% fresh lump crabmeat. Our new menu also includes various salads, mouth watering appetizers and homemade desserts. We also offer an extensive wine list, a wide variety of domestic and imported beer and specialy drinks to compliment your dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Union Canal House - Best Restaurants in Hershey ›
The Union Canal House reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)special occasion (18)good for groups (16)fit for foodies (15)romantic (15)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Best kept secret Restaurant!TeamLongoDined on 11/21/2014Great hostess and wait staff. Amazing food. You've got to try this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best calamari I have ever hadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014The food was outstanding. The calamari had banana peppers and a light coating. It was the best calamari I have ever had. The scallops for dinner were delicious as was the homemade tarter that came with them. My husband said his steak was also very good. It had a champagne peppercorn sauce that he really enjoyed. We will go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neat Place. DSomething Different.LwmcquadeDined on 11/15/2014This is place with some history which is a little "off the beaten path" in terms of not being what I would call "touristy". Reasonable prices and some very original dishes. The only problem we experienced was with the service. Not that people were not friendly, it was just slow. We generally are never in a hurry when we dine out but, after being seated (which was prompt), we waited a full 20 to 25 minutes before the person who was serving us got there and service was painfully slow. My guess is that they were unexpectedly short handed that night as other than that, everything was great. Nonetheless, we will be back and we would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ExperiencePaulZDined on 11/15/2014We waited 20 mins for a waitress to come to our table after being seated. Took another 15 mins to bring the first round of drinks, water and bread. From the time we ordered dinner to the time we actually received it was 2.5 hours! Also, one of our group members ordered a veal meal. Only after 1.5 hours did the waitress come back to tell us that the place was out of veal. It was a Saturday night and we ordered at 6:15 (place opens at 5 pm). Really, out of a main course? Our waitress was seen only to take our order, bring a single round of drinks, then deliver the check (others delivered our meals). No comp offered by the owner for our bad service. Super bad experience - go somewhere else in Hershey and avoid this place!
- FineDiningFanaticsDined on 11/15/2014First time visit. Very nice. Atmosphere is upscale and food was very good. I had a filet and broiled scallops. Filet was cooked just to my liking and the scallops were tender & sweet. Everything about the experience was good EXCEPT the speed of service. I believe the waitress had too little training, which is not her fault. She was friendly and courteous. Checked on us often and did her best to take care of our needs. However, it took much too long to get our food. Well over an hour, and when we arrived ( with reservations ) we were the only ones there ( it was early, and place filled up quickly ). I blame the owner / manager for this. The waitress did not prepare the food. And, much to my suprise, the owner reprimanded our waitress in front of other customers which, in my opinion, was very unprofessional. All this being said, I would return for the food. Hopefully they get their act together on speed of service, otherwise my second trip would probably be my last.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has a new owner and the same excellent chef.JimHDined on 11/13/2014We were celebrating a birthday and while we dine out frequently, we wanted to go upscale food wise! We had Filet Mignon* with bordelaise sauce and Roast Duckling a l’Orange, both were excellent. There are 4 dining areas: the bar area and 3 modest rooms in a row. Unless you enjoy hearing chatter I would recommend either the front or the back dining areas. This was only our 2nd visit and both times the food has been excellent. We'll be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $30 filet was boringrobbiegDined on 11/7/2014Filet was cooked perfectly at medium rare, but lacked flavor and character. I fear that anything over med-rare would have been unbearably dry. There was a boring sauce on the steak that added nothing to the plate but color. The sides were tasty, and the striped bass was good as well. Overall, I was disappointed with my choice and I feel that I've had 10 dollar steaks that were more satisfactory. The restaurant itself could be very nice. My gf and I were uncomfortable because it was very chilly in the dining room and we were seated near the bar entrance. I could not enjoy conversation bc of the distracting conversations from the regulars at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!SlewsgirlDined on 11/5/2014Great place. The service, both bartender and chef, talked to us and were great. The food, beyond delicious. Loved it!Special Features:
- A local gemXxxxVIPDined on 10/29/2014We have been coming to the Union Canal House for years every time we are in Hreshey. New management has kept the high standards. Food was great. An outstanding menus and great service - what more can you ask for. I look forward to returning on my next visit. Great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Menu!dbdbVIPDined on 10/25/2014Delicious preparation. Attentive service. Quiet venue.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time and great serviceMattBDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here last week, and they did not disappoint. The food was cooked perfectly, and we received it very timely. We really enjoyed the calamari for an appetizer, and my wife loved her gargonzola chicken. I had the grilled lamb chops and they were delicious. Also, my wife mad I each had a gin and tonic and they certainly were generous with the portion of gin. We definitely will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The ambiance was comfortable and subdued. Music playing in the background was quiet enough to have meaningful conversation at the table, something I always look for in a restaurant. Food selections were excellent, although some were a bit on the pricey side. The walleye and crab cakes were excellently done. The wine and drink selection was more than adequate for most anyone. We plan to bring our son to introduce him to the Canal House and its excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab Food & Servicegmgleo814Dined on 10/16/2014A business dinner meeting for an Executive group of the American Society for Quality (www.asq.org) and no one had any complaint only compliments on the food and service. Several said they would come back with their spouses. Under new management the Chef was excellent and the bartender knows his stuff, albeit there is a limited selection of brands on the bar. Foodies try the Shrimp and Scallops Nola; great steaks; and, all at moderate pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant local surprisePAseafoodieDined on 9/27/2014We were looking for a local option in the Hershey area. Food was very good and creatively prepared. Owner/hostess was gracious. History of the building added to the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic FindVAloverDined on 9/26/2014lots of history in this place......delicious meal......good service.......quiet......new owner really on the ball.....nicely renovated after the floodSpecial Features:
- Mom's BirthdayBTKDinerDined on 9/20/2014This was our first visit to the Union Canal House. We celebrated my Mother's birthday and we had an excellent time! The service was awesome, the food amazing and the location perfect! Thank you for making my Mother's birthday truly special.Special Features:
- First time was a hit.RockyscarolDined on 9/13/2014This was the first time visiting this restaurant. The place reminded me of a renovated old farm house, cozy with low lighting. The live guitar music was a nice touch & the staff was very friendly. There was a mix up with our order, but the food was excellent. I recommend, if you are near Hershey Park, & you want a good dinner spot, check out this spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedWJZ862Dined on 9/12/2014There was little to recommend about our experience at this restaurant. They were seriously understaffed and the owner seemed clueless. Our table was not ready when we arrived (we had a reservation)and the owner pointed to a table and said that will be your table in a few minutes. We sat at the bar and in a few minutes she gave the table to another couple who had just come in. She then came to us and asked if we were waiting for a table. The evening went down from there. We waited forever for everything the whole meal. The food was mediocre at best. There was a stale over cooked baked potato, tough veal Marsala, boring blackened steak and just nothing memorable. The waitress seemed pleasant, but had too many tables to take care of.
- Great FindKDogVIPDined on 9/11/2014We were visiting from Atlanta and tried the Union Canal House because it was locally owned. It exceeded all of our expectations. The food was excellent. The chef came out of the kitchen to discuss entree's with us. The 3 of us ordered something different: fish special, seafood and filet. Everything was cooked to order and tasted fantastic. Next time we are in the area, we will be making the trip back to the Union Canal House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food,service found wantingTom5Dined on 9/11/2014The food was a success. At least two of us had the crabcakes which were quite good. The bouillabaisse was also enjoyed by several people. However, the service was really not up to snuff. We had asked for water multiple times and she had a lot of problems figuring out payment for multiple people. The caveat to the service is the fact that we were a table of 10 which always makes the servers job more difficult. However, I've seen other waitstaff handle even more people much more smoothly. When you add the fact that the house added a 21% gratuity for less than stellar service, is compounded the issue.Special Features:
- Great find!Granddogs2VIPDined on 9/9/2014A few friends were on a short getaway in Hershey. Wanting to gave dinner outside of the hotel we returned to Union Canal, where some of us had dined in the past. Between that time and the present the restaurant had been rebuilt after being destroyed by a flood. So,we kept our fingers crossed that it would still be wonderful. We were NOT disappointed! We enjoyed every fantastic mouthful. :)Special Features:
- Great way to celebrate.25thAnniversaryDined on 8/26/2014Dinner was delicious. Pleasant surprise since great tasting fish is hard to find at a restaurant. Service was wonderful. Romantic and intimate setting. Just what we were looking for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic findspotty26Dined on 8/20/2014Rather than eating at nearby Hershey Park, my family and I searched for an alternative online. Found The Union Canal House & really happy we gave it a try. Nice bar inside, low lighting with candles, super friendly staff, and delicious food. Can't believe it was so close to the land of Hershey's Kisses, hot dogs & french fries! Would definitely recommend this to anyone visiting the area and looking for somewhere special to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, new owner is crazy.GaryVIPDined on 8/14/2014We made a reservation based on reviews under previous ownership. Turns out, new owner is VERY focused on herself and not the food, servers or customers. We ordered a large amount and they were out of, the first wine, spinach, earl grey tea, veal Oskar (had ALL ingredients but just not serving it), a second bottle of the wine we ended up with, baked potatoes and 6 other items. In the meantime the owner stopped by twice; once to say what a great choose we made and secondly to insult the servers for not lighting candles. No mention of missing items. To sum up, don't go. Super sad. If you do, please tip Jessica and Holly very, very well. It isn't their fault!
- Great find in HerhseyKL644Dined on 8/2/2014We found this great restaurant for dinner while visiting Hershey. The restaurant is an old historic tavern. Large parking lot with plenty of spaces. Great food, excellent service. We very much enjoyed the clams casino and ragout as appetizers and the trout and veal Marsala as our mains. When in Hershey we will defintely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 64 reviews are from the The Union Canal House reviews archive.
- Quaint, historic and warm environsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014Food was exceptionally prepared. Menu was eclectic, especially the appetizers, but very much to my liking with plenty of good old American offerings. Prices were reasonable for fine dining and matched what the Web site showed so there were no tricks or surprises. The layout of the interior creates a warm and cozy feel that suits the small village "tavern" style and history of the place. I was very pleased to dine here, as were the 3 other adults I brought along. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- under new managementGlandManDined on 7/26/2014Old favorite under new management. was told that the chef was the same. surprisingly not as busy as before.Special Features:
- couple from townOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014food was great, service was also great. BUT, before we went to the restaurant, i checked the menu on line. the blackened delmonico was 29.95 when we got the check, we were charged 34.95 for the stakeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu online not correctTK2014VIPDined on 6/28/2014We were visiting from out to town, and when we found this restaurant and saw the menu online, we were excited to try it out. When we got to the restaurant and sat down, the menu was completely different then what was online. We said something to the server, and she said she knew about it and it wasn't her problem. With Hershey attracting so many tourists, if would probably be best if the restaurant updates their menu online, or take it off the website altogether. The food we ordered was alright.
- Dinner and a Mini-TourKatiesAmaDined on 6/28/2014We were there on a Saturday night - we made reservations, but really didn't need them. It was busy but not crowded. We were warmly greeted at the door, and our server was excellent. Our meals were good, but a little pricy for a casual night out. After dinner, we learned a little about the history of the restaurant/inn, and had a "mini-tour" of the basement to see the tunnel system that was used for underground travel between nearby buildings. All-in-all a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodUshkyVIPDined on 6/27/2014This was the 3rd time I've been here since it reopened and the food is solid. Saw a review for the Delmonico steak so gave it a try. It was very good! The calamari app was different and very tasty although I would have liked it if it was little crispier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the best duckOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2014So glad Union Canal House reopened after the flood. The duck l'orange is as good as it was 15 yrs. ago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too priceyHrshyLocalVIPDined on 6/13/2014Nice place and the food was good but too expensive. Five star prices for three star quality.
- owner is a crookUnhappyDined on 6/3/2014I had purchased a gift card from the owner before the flood and after he finally reopened he had a new computer system and would not honor the gift card because the new machines do not recognize it. I was out the money I paid for the gift card to my daughter. Also my son broke a tooth while eating his meal and went to the restroom. I told the waitress what happened and she didn't care.
- DinnermattDined on 5/24/2014Food was good, service was good. Portions are not large. Had iceburg salad, but the housemade blue cheese dressing was spread like butter on the lettuce... i prefer a little more, certainly enough that i can get some on every bite of lettuce!
- Best Steak AroundLukealiciousDined on 5/21/2014My wife and I had been at the Union Canal House before the flood and I had always said that the steak I had there was the best steak I had ever had. I decided to take my wife there for our wedding anniversary and of course I had to order the blackened Delmonico steak. We decided to order the crab cake dinner and share the steak and crab cakes. The steak lived up to my previous experience - it melted in my mouth and had a truly delectable taste. I told the manager that there was only one slight problem...it was gone!!! The crab cakes were excellent; the portabello mushroom appetizer was out of this world. The waitress, Jessica, was very nice and personable and tended to our every need. One of the best restaurants around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have benn here beforeAdymVIPDined on 5/10/2014Food and service were excellent. Will definitely schedule a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Food is very good. Appetizers outstanding. Could make a meal on just the tasty appetizers. Definitely will be back.Special Features:
- love2dineoutDined on 5/9/2014The service was absolutely the best. Our waitress was appropriately attentive. Food was very good also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodGoRideDined on 5/3/2014The Chef at the Union Canal House makes just wonderful seafood and steak dishes with his own twist. Try the appetizers for sure, they are best with signature touches to each item.Special Features: