The Twisted Tail
509 S. 2nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
The Twisted Tail
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thetwistedtail.com/
- Phone: 2155582471x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Twisted Tail is a bar, restaurant and live music hall that can accommodate intimate groups of 12 or larger parties up to 200 people. The bi-level space features three distinct areas: an expansive dining room with a Bourbon Bar, the Club Room with cozy fireplaces and a shuffleboard table, and the Juke Joint where musical acts perform.
Whether you"re planning a corporate event, birthday party, business meeting, reception, baby shower or holiday party, we can make it memorable for your guests. Our menus and various spaces can be customized to fit your crowd. We offer a wealth of dining, or cocktailing, options as well as other amenities such as audiovisual equipment and live entertainment.
- Private Party Contact: Danielle Fisher 2155582471x
- Entertainment: Live Blues Music Wednesday - Sunday.
- Cross Street: Between South and Lombard
- Public Transit: Metered street parking is available in front of the restaurant. The closest available parking garage is located on Lombard Street between 2nd and 3rd.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered street parking is available in front of the restaurant. The closest available parking garage is located on Lombard Street between 2nd and 3rd.
A word from The Twisted Tail
The Twisted Tail is a bi-level restaurant, bar and live music venue featuring a charcoal-fired grill, a wealth of bourbon selections and the rollicking ambiance of a "juke joint" (or old school Southern music hall). The inventive menu highlights ingredients in their simplest form, flame broiled over live coals for rich, authentic flavor.Continued
Inside a warm, welcoming dining space makes The Twisted Tail South Street’s best place to catch a band - and a bite.
Inside a warm, welcoming dining space makes The Twisted Tail South Street’s best place to catch a band - and a bite.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
The Twisted Tail - Best Restaurants in Society Hill ›
The Twisted Tail reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (33)vibrant bar scene (29)good for groups (29)late-night find (22)hot spot (17)great for outdoor dining (12)special occasion (11)great for brunch (11)great for lunch (10)romantic (8)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great food, great musicAmandalm1992Dined on 9/19/2014I can't speak personally because I made this reservation for my parents but they said: The food was delicious. The service was excellent and the music was cool and entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will try againFindingTimeDined on 9/19/2014We went for center city restaurant week and it was a wonderful choice. My boyfriend and I often have very different taste in food so finding a place can be difficult. But they had such a great selection of options that there was plenty for each of us. Plus, with a four course meal we both left more than satisfied - everything we tried was noteworthy and I am happy to report that my steak was perfectly cooked. Also, there was live ,using and our drinks were greet (I had the Lynchburg basil lemonade and he had the whiskey, scotch, beer flight). We would definitely try this out again.Special Features:
- Good food, Great drinksHollyDined on 9/19/2014We went to the Twisted Tail on Friday night for a birthday celebration and Restaurant Week. It was a bit loud for some members of my party but for younger people it would be great. They had a guitar player and the bar scene seemed great. The food was good. The chirrzo tacos were way to spicy for me but the lamb meatballs and corn on the cob were excellent. The sausage app was great too. The ham was lacking. The kale salad and mac n cheese were good. The rice balls were very dry. The mains were very good but we had so much food before that that we barely finished them because we were full. The ricotta bignet dessert was very dry but they gave us more sauce. The drinks were the best part. Overall it was good and I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Tall Tale!!MikeandJenDined on 9/19/2014We had a phenomenal experience from start to finish. We ordered off of the 4 course Restaurant Week menu (which was fantastic, but truncated); but we'll, be going back for more off of regular menu for sure! I don't think you can go wrong at the Twisted Tail!!!Special Features:
- Great Find!Pittsburghfan7Dined on 9/17/2014The Twisted Tail has an awesome selection of unique drinks and great food. We really enjoyed the chorizo tacos, crawfish mac & cheese, country rice balls, grilled corn, and the ricotta beignets. The atmosphere makes you feel right at home with a country feel. The service was friendly and quick. We would recommend it for a casual night out.Special Features:
- Danielleberen@gmail.comDee111VIPDined on 9/12/2014Twisted Tail could be great. This was my second dinning experience here and the same situation played out. I know reaturants are typically crowded during restaurant week however it took us 3 hours to complete our meal and there was a good twenty minute to half hour delay between courses. The main course for two of the five people dinning in our party came out cold and had to be sent back. There wasn't really an apology or a follow up after we received our reheated dish. We had to ask for our desert and water several times and our waiter was no where to be found at some points. The food was pretty good and could have been better if it was served hot and quicker.
- EBtrueDined on 9/12/2014The restaurant was very clean and everyone was polite. The menu is different than what I'm accustomed to, but I like to experience different tastes. Overall, it was a great experience and the atmosphere was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014The food was outstanding and the service was absolutely awesome! The staff was so friendly and made sure we had everything we needed or wanted...will definitely come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Food; Loved the ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Delicious southern comfort food. When I asked for my filet to be cooked a little bit longer, the chef sent me a complimentary tomato and cheese salad that was out of this world! The servers continually brought water and clean utensils. I am thoroughly pleased and pleasantly surprised by the exceptional level of service and food quality. I HIGHLY recommend their beignets! The caramel bourbon sauce was out of this world delicious! A great place for a night out with friends.Special Features:
- Gluten and Dairy allergy reviewJlmfitness17Dined on 9/6/2014The place was very accommodating to gluten and dairy allergies. Their menu tells you what is or can be done gluten free. I had the chorizo taco and kale salad appetizer both were amazing. For dinner I got the pork chop which was good but a little on the fatty side. They also have an interesting green apple sorbet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticChazDined on 8/24/2014How about fantastic and great food! Presentation was fun and innovative. Will go back again soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Philly spotfoodloverDined on 8/22/2014It was my first time in Philly and this spot was recommended because I Love bourbon and southern food. I was not disappointed. The Phunk Band was great and the mint juleps were fantastic. I will be visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising FindtimidpalateDined on 8/20/2014Went for a birthday dinner. The short rib was so tender if you stared long enough it would just fall apart. I'm not an 'out-of-the-box' eater but I tried farro and didn't hate it. The Negroni was spectacular!!! Highly recommend going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of a kindthebonusDined on 8/19/2014gastro great with New Orleans flair. awesome ambiance with unique sophisticated earthy rough edge. staffed with folks who want to be there in each professional capacity I.cluding musicians who love and live their trade. excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and whiskey selectionmetallichykDined on 8/16/2014I have been to the Twisted Tail several times for brunch and have enjoyed myself and my meal each time I went. This past weekend I decided to bring my boyfriend there for his birthday dinner, and we were not disappointed. The Prix Fixe option allowed us to try a variety of different dishes and each course was more delicious than the last. (We chose pork sausage and octopus for our grilled options, crawfish mac and cheese and crab cakes for our appetizer, Scallop Cassoulet and Braised Short Rib for our entrees and Strawberry Shortcake and Beignets for dessert) I highly highly recommend each of the dishes, but definitely explore this fabulous menu (of food and whiskey) for yourself!Special Features:
- Twisted Tail is a must!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014If you're in Philly, then you must go to the Twisted Tail! The menu has something for everyone. The Tuna Tartar; Crawfish Mac and Cheese; Scallops Cassoulet are absolutely phenomenal. The service is very friendly and not overbearing. While we were there another table was having a whiskey tasting. They were having such a good time that it made me want to give it a try. In a town that's full of great places to eat, this is definitely a favorite. Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:
- Fantastic FindSteelerFanDined on 8/8/2014We took a chance on this restaurant and it was well worth it. We did the fixed prix for dinner, which was a great deal and a great way to taste many menu items. The first two courses were a bit large and I was worried that the entree would be big too but it was actually fairly small. This was good because it meant room for dessert. Dessert was a bit disappointing compared to the other courses. Definitely going back and recommending to friends.Special Features:
- Great menuWCGuyDined on 7/19/2014Quite frankly, I expected more barbecue but the food was great. The waitress did a really nice job of not bugging us too much but coming over at the right time. It got a little loud but that was because they had a band upstairs that we went to listen to after dinner. They were fantastic. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- anthonyastromanAnthonyastromanDined on 7/8/2014I did not order an entry but the bar choice as well as the appetizers were really innovative and tasty. Good drink menu as well as beer selection. If you have any trouble hearing do not sit at a table. You will not be able to converse with person directly across from you. Sitting att the bar works well. Really good food and presented well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/5/2014We had diners with some tricky dietary needs and the staff was extremely accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plates were perfect!cedsDined on 7/5/2014We had dinner here before heading to Penn's Landing for the concert and fireworks, and decided to share a few small plates rather than have an entrée. This wound up being a great choice! Each plate was delicious, and our server ordered them so that 2 came out together as an appetizer, than the rest as dinner. We also had one of the flights of bourbon, which was a fun way to taste something new. Overall, a great experienceSpecial Features:
- Love this place!LadyChampsDined on 6/29/2014If you want a great cocktail and great food, live music and casual crowd--GO HERE! I highly recommend. The food was great, I had the octopus appetizer which was the best octopus I've ever had! My only complaint was that the veggie burger really wasn't a burger. I probably would have ordered something else if I had known that it was pieces of grilled veggies with carmelized onions in a flatbread. True vegetarians would have loved it though and the flavor was really great.Special Features:
- Highlight of our Philly TripHappyDinerVIPDined on 6/28/2014The food was interesting and extremely well prepared. I contacted the restaurant ahead of time to ask if they could accommodate special dietary needs--they rose to the occasion 1000%! We had fantastic food. The Harvest Veggie Burger is unique & delicious. Charcoal grilled asparagus & corn were similarly good. Although many restaurants treat our dietary needs as a bother, the Twisted Tail worked hard to make sure we felt pampered & left with belts filled with some if the best food we've ever had. We'll definitely return on our next trip to Philly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drink confusion, good foodJackieVIPDined on 6/24/2014One server was knowledgeable about their drinks, the other not so much, which made ordering a bit confusing. Food was good but extremely difficult to eat.
- The best I have experiencedfirstmealDined on 6/22/2014I'm wasn't sure what to expect, however my experience was over the top. Before I finished my meal I was looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Just For DinnerMyFairLadyVIPDined on 6/22/2014This was our second trip to The Twisted Tail and we decided to try them for brunch. We loved brunch just as much as we loved dinner. The brunch menu is diverse and a nice balance of what you would consider breakfast and lunch dishes. We started with the pigs in a puff to share and it was a great brunch appetizer. For brunch entrees we had the steak and eggs. The steak was seasoned and cooked to perfection. The eggs were light and fluffy. We also had the sweet potato waffle and chicken. It was the best chicken and waffles I have ever had. The waffle was beyond tasty, the chicken fried perfectly and the syrup and grilled pineapple added a nice new twist on a southern classic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real juke joint!!!2forrealDined on 6/15/2014My family had a great time. There were 10 of us with 2 children under 12. The were kid friendly. My children had a ball. We will be returning real soon. Thanks for a great Fathers Day.Special Features:
- Good, not greatMichaelVIPDined on 6/7/2014Despite having reservations we were sat in the (empty, dark) upstairs bar, but we asked and were nicely moved back into the restaurant downstairs. Service was fine, though a bit unpersonal. Good beer selection, particularly with Beer Week going on, and my Old Fashioned was strong and terrific. Appetizers were delicious--the bbq ribs and ham were spectacular, and the complimentary popcorn was great too. The entrees were just okay at best: fairly dry salmon without much "glaze" and limp-skinned fried chicken with two sweet potato "fries". Not offensive, but certainly, for us, not worth $22+ per when you can better and more for less around town in a more relaxed atmosphere. Which, there is definitely some South Street crowd spillover here.Special Features:
- food was not goodangelaDined on 6/7/2014In philly you have to have good food to survive as a restaurant. The food here was bland and not worth the money. There is nothing special about this place.
- The following 151 reviews are from the The Twisted Tail reviews archive.
- MMmmmm. MMMMmmmmm MmmmmmmmmmmMahoganyMamaDined on 6/1/2014The food hear is delicious!!!! It takes a while for the food to come out but it is sooooooo worth it!!!! The manager Daniel is AWESOME!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the food and drinksTimmDined on 5/30/2014Food and drinks were excellent. Generous portion of scallops, done perfectly. Wanted to try the famous cornbread, so we ordered it ... but it never came out! Live music in the bar area was great ... but the volume could have been reduced by about half.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2014This was our first time at Twisted Tail and I can't wait to return. We asked for a table close to the door because one of our party has a leg brace and the first table inside was ours. The food is great. The pulled pork Empanadas, pork belly and tuna tartar were to die for. If you order nothing else, you MUST get the crawfish mac and cheese. And the staff takes any criticism very seriously. An order of shrimp and grits came out a little cold and was sent back. Not only did they remake the dish the manager came over to apologize with another order of Empanadas!! The shrimp was cooked perfectly and the grits just melted in your mouth. This is a definite must when dining in Philly.Special Features:
- Best first date spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014The service was fantastic with great food recommendations. Additionally it was quite and with some of the best food I have ever heard. My corn bread, which was the best I have ever had, got cold after a while so I asked them to heat it up. A few minutes they came back with a new one and complimentary baked beans just because the Cheif wanted to. Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatMikeVIPDined on 5/19/2014Twisted Tail is great. I have been here several times and will return. The whisk(e)y list is one of the best. Some of the food portions are a little small (like the octopus being one single tentacle...come on it's bait, don't skimp on it) and the pacing can be off on the courses. But overall, I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BourbonTrailerDined on 5/18/2014Notable bourbon list. Great live music. Great deserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic bourbon list!MattDined on 5/17/2014Great food, fun ambiance and fantastic bourbon list! Server knew her bourbon and was able to talk me (a relatively knowledgeable whiskey drinker) through the bourbon list. They had some fantastic rare off-menu bottles and will do custom flights if they're not busy.Special Features:
- Perfect night outOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/17/2014We started with the infused Pineaplle Tequila on the rocks which was a wonderful drink. We continued with several appetizers and the cheddar cheese tasting, all delicious. I am a huge mac and chesse fan so I had to order the crawfish mac and cheese. The mac and chees part was among the best I have had in the area, however the dish could have used more crawfish. Our group had the fried chiken in the bag and the scallops. All were delicious. My only issue is that they did not have alot of side dishes and were unable to substitute a vegetable for the sweet potato fries. After dinner we headed upstairs, found a seat and enjoyed some great live blues music. A perfect nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Style CookingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/15/2014Ribs were falling off the bone; best sweet potato fries I have ever tasted and crab cakes were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful BrunchSullyVIPDined on 5/11/2014GREAT Place to Celebrate Mother's Day! Food was excellent, service impeccable, and just a wonderful place!Special Features:
- Good fooodCoolEarlDined on 5/11/2014This place is a gem. Good food, good drinks including large selection of beers and great bourbons. Good music on weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.