The Twisted Tail
509 S. 2nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
The Twisted Tail
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thetwistedtail.com/
- Phone: 2155582471x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Twisted Tail is a bar, restaurant and live music hall that can accommodate intimate groups of 12 or larger parties up to 200 people. The bi-level space features three distinct areas: an expansive dining room with a Bourbon Bar, the Club Room with cozy fireplaces and a shuffleboard table, and the Juke Joint where musical acts perform.
Whether you"re planning a corporate event, birthday party, business meeting, reception, baby shower or holiday party, we can make it memorable for your guests. Our menus and various spaces can be customized to fit your crowd. We offer a wealth of dining, or cocktailing, options as well as other amenities such as audiovisual equipment and live entertainment.
- Private Party Contact: Danielle Fisher 2155582471x
- Entertainment: Live Blues Music Wednesday - Sunday.
- Cross Street: Between South and Lombard
- Public Transit: Metered street parking is available in front of the restaurant. The closest available parking garage is located on Lombard Street between 2nd and 3rd.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered street parking is available in front of the restaurant. The closest available parking garage is located on Lombard Street between 2nd and 3rd.
A word from The Twisted Tail
The Twisted Tail is a bi-level restaurant, bar and live music venue featuring a charcoal-fired grill, a wealth of bourbon selections and the rollicking ambiance of a "juke joint" (or old school Southern music hall). The inventive menu highlights ingredients in their simplest form, flame broiled over live coals for rich, authentic flavor.Continued
Inside a warm, welcoming dining space makes The Twisted Tail South Street’s best place to catch a band - and a bite.
Inside a warm, welcoming dining space makes The Twisted Tail South Street’s best place to catch a band - and a bite.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
The Twisted Tail - Best Restaurants in Society Hill ›
The Twisted Tail reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (25)neighborhood gem (23)vibrant bar scene (20)good for groups (19)late-night find (17)hot spot (14)great for brunch (13)special occasion (12)great for outdoor dining (12)romantic (9)great for lunch (8)notable wine list (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Great food and whiskey selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014I have been to the Twisted Tail several times for brunch and have enjoyed myself and my meal each time I went. This past weekend I decided to bring my boyfriend there for his birthday dinner, and we were not disappointed. The Prix Fixe option allowed us to try a variety of different dishes and each course was more delicious than the last. (We chose pork sausage and octopus for our grilled options, crawfish mac and cheese and crab cakes for our appetizer, Scallop Cassoulet and Braised Short Rib for our entrees and Strawberry Shortcake and Beignets for dessert) I highly highly recommend each of the dishes, but definitely explore this fabulous menu (of food and whiskey) for yourself!Special Features:
- Fantastic FindSteelerFanDined on 8/8/2014We took a chance on this restaurant and it was well worth it. We did the fixed prix for dinner, which was a great deal and a great way to taste many menu items. The first two courses were a bit large and I was worried that the entree would be big too but it was actually fairly small. This was good because it meant room for dessert. Dessert was a bit disappointing compared to the other courses. Definitely going back and recommending to friends.Special Features:
- Great menuWCGuyDined on 7/19/2014Quite frankly, I expected more barbecue but the food was great. The waitress did a really nice job of not bugging us too much but coming over at the right time. It got a little loud but that was because they had a band upstairs that we went to listen to after dinner. They were fantastic. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- anthonyastromanAnthonyastromanDined on 7/8/2014I did not order an entry but the bar choice as well as the appetizers were really innovative and tasty. Good drink menu as well as beer selection. If you have any trouble hearing do not sit at a table. You will not be able to converse with person directly across from you. Sitting att the bar works well. Really good food and presented well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/5/2014We had diners with some tricky dietary needs and the staff was extremely accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plates were perfect!cedsDined on 7/5/2014We had dinner here before heading to Penn's Landing for the concert and fireworks, and decided to share a few small plates rather than have an entrée. This wound up being a great choice! Each plate was delicious, and our server ordered them so that 2 came out together as an appetizer, than the rest as dinner. We also had one of the flights of bourbon, which was a fun way to taste something new. Overall, a great experienceSpecial Features:
- Love this place!LadyChampsDined on 6/29/2014If you want a great cocktail and great food, live music and casual crowd--GO HERE! I highly recommend. The food was great, I had the octopus appetizer which was the best octopus I've ever had! My only complaint was that the veggie burger really wasn't a burger. I probably would have ordered something else if I had known that it was pieces of grilled veggies with carmelized onions in a flatbread. True vegetarians would have loved it though and the flavor was really great.Special Features:
- Highlight of our Philly TripHappyDinerVIPDined on 6/28/2014The food was interesting and extremely well prepared. I contacted the restaurant ahead of time to ask if they could accommodate special dietary needs--they rose to the occasion 1000%! We had fantastic food. The Harvest Veggie Burger is unique & delicious. Charcoal grilled asparagus & corn were similarly good. Although many restaurants treat our dietary needs as a bother, the Twisted Tail worked hard to make sure we felt pampered & left with belts filled with some if the best food we've ever had. We'll definitely return on our next trip to Philly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drink confusion, good foodJackieVIPDined on 6/24/2014One server was knowledgeable about their drinks, the other not so much, which made ordering a bit confusing. Food was good but extremely difficult to eat.
- The best I have experiencedfirstmealDined on 6/22/2014I'm wasn't sure what to expect, however my experience was over the top. Before I finished my meal I was looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Just For DinnerMyFairLadyVIPDined on 6/22/2014This was our second trip to The Twisted Tail and we decided to try them for brunch. We loved brunch just as much as we loved dinner. The brunch menu is diverse and a nice balance of what you would consider breakfast and lunch dishes. We started with the pigs in a puff to share and it was a great brunch appetizer. For brunch entrees we had the steak and eggs. The steak was seasoned and cooked to perfection. The eggs were light and fluffy. We also had the sweet potato waffle and chicken. It was the best chicken and waffles I have ever had. The waffle was beyond tasty, the chicken fried perfectly and the syrup and grilled pineapple added a nice new twist on a southern classic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real juke joint!!!2forrealDined on 6/15/2014My family had a great time. There were 10 of us with 2 children under 12. The were kid friendly. My children had a ball. We will be returning real soon. Thanks for a great Fathers Day.Special Features:
- Good, not greatMichaelVIPDined on 6/7/2014Despite having reservations we were sat in the (empty, dark) upstairs bar, but we asked and were nicely moved back into the restaurant downstairs. Service was fine, though a bit unpersonal. Good beer selection, particularly with Beer Week going on, and my Old Fashioned was strong and terrific. Appetizers were delicious--the bbq ribs and ham were spectacular, and the complimentary popcorn was great too. The entrees were just okay at best: fairly dry salmon without much "glaze" and limp-skinned fried chicken with two sweet potato "fries". Not offensive, but certainly, for us, not worth $22+ per when you can better and more for less around town in a more relaxed atmosphere. Which, there is definitely some South Street crowd spillover here.Special Features:
- food was not goodangelaDined on 6/7/2014In philly you have to have good food to survive as a restaurant. The food here was bland and not worth the money. There is nothing special about this place.
- MMmmmm. MMMMmmmmm MmmmmmmmmmmMahoganyMamaDined on 6/1/2014The food hear is delicious!!!! It takes a while for the food to come out but it is sooooooo worth it!!!! The manager Daniel is AWESOME!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the food and drinksTimmDined on 5/30/2014Food and drinks were excellent. Generous portion of scallops, done perfectly. Wanted to try the famous cornbread, so we ordered it ... but it never came out! Live music in the bar area was great ... but the volume could have been reduced by about half.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2014This was our first time at Twisted Tail and I can't wait to return. We asked for a table close to the door because one of our party has a leg brace and the first table inside was ours. The food is great. The pulled pork Empanadas, pork belly and tuna tartar were to die for. If you order nothing else, you MUST get the crawfish mac and cheese. And the staff takes any criticism very seriously. An order of shrimp and grits came out a little cold and was sent back. Not only did they remake the dish the manager came over to apologize with another order of Empanadas!! The shrimp was cooked perfectly and the grits just melted in your mouth. This is a definite must when dining in Philly.Special Features:
- Best first date spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014The service was fantastic with great food recommendations. Additionally it was quite and with some of the best food I have ever heard. My corn bread, which was the best I have ever had, got cold after a while so I asked them to heat it up. A few minutes they came back with a new one and complimentary baked beans just because the Cheif wanted to. Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatMikeVIPDined on 5/19/2014Twisted Tail is great. I have been here several times and will return. The whisk(e)y list is one of the best. Some of the food portions are a little small (like the octopus being one single tentacle...come on it's bait, don't skimp on it) and the pacing can be off on the courses. But overall, I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BourbonTrailerDined on 5/18/2014Notable bourbon list. Great live music. Great deserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic bourbon list!MattDined on 5/17/2014Great food, fun ambiance and fantastic bourbon list! Server knew her bourbon and was able to talk me (a relatively knowledgeable whiskey drinker) through the bourbon list. They had some fantastic rare off-menu bottles and will do custom flights if they're not busy.Special Features:
- Perfect night outOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/17/2014We started with the infused Pineaplle Tequila on the rocks which was a wonderful drink. We continued with several appetizers and the cheddar cheese tasting, all delicious. I am a huge mac and chesse fan so I had to order the crawfish mac and cheese. The mac and chees part was among the best I have had in the area, however the dish could have used more crawfish. Our group had the fried chiken in the bag and the scallops. All were delicious. My only issue is that they did not have alot of side dishes and were unable to substitute a vegetable for the sweet potato fries. After dinner we headed upstairs, found a seat and enjoyed some great live blues music. A perfect nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Style CookingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/15/2014Ribs were falling off the bone; best sweet potato fries I have ever tasted and crab cakes were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful BrunchSullyVIPDined on 5/11/2014GREAT Place to Celebrate Mother's Day! Food was excellent, service impeccable, and just a wonderful place!Special Features:
- Good fooodCoolEarlDined on 5/11/2014This place is a gem. Good food, good drinks including large selection of beers and great bourbons. Good music on weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Music/FooddcwarpathDined on 5/10/2014We ate in the upstairs bar in order to see the band playing that night. Twisted Tail is mainly a blues spot. Near the band was loud, but you can find tables in the back. Downstairs is a different a quieter vibe if that is not your thing. Good beers and food. Lots of Whiskey and Bourbon as well...
- Love itHappyMealsDined on 5/10/2014I've been twice, once on a weeknight and once on a Saturday. Both times, service was amazing and the food was delicious. The drinks are unique and quite good, and the staff are a lot of fun. They are very attentive and pay attention to special requests. I was going out with a friend on his one day in the city - he was on a very short leave from Afghanistan, and the hostess put us at a nice quiet table and the waiter was very attentive. I'm very pleased and will be back!Special Features:
- Fun but Loud!MSoupDined on 5/3/2014Had a great time and the food was good, we were seated near the bar and it was extremely loud. We couldn't even carry on a conversation without yelling across the table. Upstairs music was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedGmdesignDined on 4/26/2014Date night so decided to go to twisted since their menu selection looked good. Service was really good and it's not bad for bringing a date for relaxed atmosphere kind of date. The worst part about the place was the food. I had the pulled pork empanadas with the short rib for my meal. My date had the flat iron steak. The empanadas had zero taste and I just happen to use a fork for part of one to pull it apart which I am glad I did since there was something inside that sorta looked like a small heart. Really gross and def lost my appetite after that. The short rib was tasteless, no seasoning on anything that we ordered( I tried hers too). The staff was friendly and it was sorta busy but not packed. Expensive ! So I won't be going back!Special Features:
- PERFECT!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014This is a MUST TRY!!! Most amazing dining experience I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 135 reviews are from the The Twisted Tail reviews archive.
- Easter BrunchFoodie14Dined on 4/20/2014Four of us went for Easter Brunch. I ordered the steak and sunny side eggs, the eggs looked fake, like something that comes in a child's play kitchen and had no flavor. The steak was cooked at medium well but there was blood running on the plate. The steak was also hard to cut because it was full of fat. I've had a better steak from Longhorn. The bacon in the BLT was chewy and slimy. My family said they enjoyed the turkey sandwich and the chicken sandwich. The fries were the best part. Everyone enjoyed the dessert, and that's the reason for the extra stars.Special Features:
- Very Cool! Great Food!AmandaBDined on 4/19/2014We stopped by for dinner on a Saturday evening and shared several small plates and appetizers. Everything we tried from the Grill was exceptional, especially the most tender octopus I've tasted in years. The ribs were perfect - juicy and falling off the bone. We will be back to try the full sized entrees in the near future and have already book brunch here with friends coming in from out of town. The building is really cool - all brickwork and dim lighting. The staff were all super friendly and helpful. I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone who was to try something different for a very reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad tabledaisyrayDined on 4/19/2014We were seated in the back by the kitchen despite having a reservation and many empty tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome StaffHappyDadVIPDined on 4/17/2014Twisted Tail's staff has gone above and beyond on two occasions when I've dined there with my toddler daughter. They're very understanding about the messiness of a young eater, and they've gone off menu a couple times to accommodate her immature palette. One manager even made an unbidden run to Wawa to get her apple juice. Beyond their friendliness with our baby, the food represents an interesting "twist" on typical comfort fare, and the bourbon list provides many options for interested imbibers. We'll be going back for the great staff, excellent food, and substantial drink options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Setting, A Tad PricyRickyDined on 4/12/2014The restaurant itself was beautiful and the food was delicious, but it will definitely cost you if you're looking for a full meal. We unfortunately missed the live music, but I feel like that would have been a ton of fun at this place.Special Features:
- Poor & slow service.DTMJRVIPDined on 4/12/2014Made my reservation early so I would have what I thought would be plenty of time to make a hockey game at the Wells Fargo Center. Service was so slow that I just made the game in time. Restaurant was not even that busy when I was there so I have no idea why the service was so slow.
- Must experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/8/2014Excellent experience at the Twisted Tail. All the food was excellent- 5 courses for less than $40. Bar owner very knowledgable about bourbons came to our table to make recommendations. Sat downstairs - noise level mostly attributable to live music, though not so overwhelming where I could not have conversation at a normal speaking level. A must try, especially for bourbon fans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than you would expectopenttable1Dined on 4/6/2014Appears to be a bar, but is actually a fun, upscale menu, kitschy dining experience. A lovely surprise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good time!TinaDined on 4/5/2014Great time again at the Twisted Tail! Food, drinks, service and the atmosphere make this the place you want to keep going back to.Special Features:
- Great food, awesome cocktailspicklesDined on 3/29/2014Great food, awesome cocktails (Tyme for Tyme was amazing), extensive whiskey list. Left full and happy. Bonus was the great music going on upstairs that we checked out before leaving!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.