The Twisted Oak
61 Main Street
Tarrytown, NY 10591Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Twisted Oak
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thetwistedoakny.com/
- Phone: 9143321992x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Cutney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private intimate dining room accommodates up to 60 guests for special functions.
- Private Party Contact: Jacob Parenti 9143321992x
A word from The Twisted Oak
Chef Michael Cutney's newest Venture The Twisted Oak, takes a fun and casual approach to New American Fare with Italian Influences. Sourcing from Local Farmers and Growers,The Twisted Oak offers a daily changing menu featuring ingredients from the Hudson Valleys' Bounty. Located just steps away from the famed Tarrytown Music Hall, the Restaurant is set in a turn of the century photography studio. The main dining room is dressed with paintings from local artists and the bar, which was handcrafted from Oak Wine Barrels, you can expect to find boutique wines, seasonal cocktails, and local brews. The Twisted Oak is quickly becoming a neighborhood favorite with its delicious food, refined service, and excellent hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Twisted Oak - Best Restaurants in Tarrytown ›
The Twisted Oak reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)neighborhood gem (37)special occasion (20)romantic (16)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (6)good for groups (6)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Great find in TarrytownlovetodineDined on 8/26/2014Wonderful, casual, friendly restaurant with an imaginative menu and excellent food and service. Great salads and chicken. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too longOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/22/2014The restaurant was not busy yet it took over an 30 minutes for main course to come after appetizers were cleared. Service was ok but needs some work too.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014I came here with friends and had a delicious meal. It's a pretty restaurant with great service and the menu is very unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really wanted to love it but didn'tFinerDinerDined on 8/15/2014I had heard rave reviews early on about Twisted Oak and had tried several times to get reservations, finally landing one on a Friday during a summer "Third Friday" in Tarrytown. Despite having a relatively early reservation and arriving when before the restaurant filled up, the service was ubearably slow. Had to ask waiter to check on our food 3 times - then 2 of our dishes were cold when they arrived. The menu is inventive ... but sometimes overly so. Took a while to figure out items under "Mill" were primarily pastas. I love that they try to be different in the 'burbs, but the food was mediocre, the prices were high, the ambiance so-so. They do fold your napkin when you leave the table, though. Worth a second shot.Special Features:
- Loved everything!FoodieDined on 8/14/2014We came here for a birthday celebration.Everything from the drinks to the poutine and truffled chick peas was delicious. The main courses were outstanding the short ribs with polenta and the special fish were all great. Dessert was a chocolate pudding in a mason jar was a must have. We will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experiencenelly632Dined on 8/8/2014The food was fabulous and the service terrific. I had read some reviews about bad service, but we did not experience this at all. In fact, the host went above and beyond to make each and every guest feel special. And the food was incredible. I highly recommend the Short Ribs.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpisePKleinbergDined on 8/8/2014Twisted Oak is a great addition to the neighborhood! We enormously enjoyed the soft shell crab appetizer, which was generously proportioned with cockles and perfectly, lightly fried crab. Kudos to the chef for the suckling pig ravioli, which was so yummy I wished I had not split the dish with my husband. The pork cheek and short rib entrees were savory and delicious. Terrific restaurant for foodies. Very nice service as well. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/2/2014We went with great anticipation and while the food was good, the service was amateurish and not attentive. The chef seems talented and creative and hopefully he can create a better front of house experience.
- Too loudDebhVIPDined on 8/1/2014Heard great things about this restaurant No ambiance to speak of...room was way to loud..need so e acoustical tiles ,, service was very spotty.. We kept having to flag the waiter down for everything . Three of the four dinners were undercooked ... We left and went up the street for dessert. Better places In Tarrytown that are also more caring.. I had been so looking forward to eating here.
- twisted oakMemeDined on 7/23/2014really great food--can't wait until it opens for lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY weird servicefood71Dined on 7/19/2014The food was mostly outstanding. These guys have a really good understanding of ascension of flavor, and most of the dishes were perfectly prepared. The cooked kale was a sour note -- great flavor, but really chewy. Like paper chewy. But the desserts more than made up for that. Overall, a solid A. The menu is a little tricky. The chef delights in obscure Italian cooking terminology. And, given his tendency to reinterpret these terms somewhat whimsically, the whole thing was kind of annoying. Still, not a tragic flaw. The service was a tragic flaw. Most of the staff was great, but our waitress was scary. Like crazy-eyes, predatory crazy. Like we didn't complain about the 2 hours our meal took because she made us really nervous scary.Special Features:
- A great findWR711Dined on 7/12/2014This was an excellent evening. Started with a Cabin in the Woods at the bar. A great cocktail. The bartender was gracious and beautiful. We were seated within a few minutes. Started off with the chickpeas as everyone does and they were worth it. Main course was the Short Ribs cooked perfectly and uniquely flavored. Chocolate in a jar was tremendous. Thanks to Jacob and his staff. Everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/12/2014Amazing interesting food. Can't wait to go back Cozy warm and inviting space but very small. Staff was excited and really knowledgableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoohDined on 7/12/2014food was interesting,noise level and service abominable..
- Delightful new Tarrytown diningChanteuseVIPDined on 7/9/2014Charming ambiance, a warm welcome, delicious food! We loved the corn sformato- never had anything like that before. Succulent soft-shell crabs. Definitely a place to return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Great FoodJRA222VIPDined on 7/9/2014The food was delicious, the service very, very good. I had a little trouble with the menu to be honest, it seemed a bit complicated, but the server was helpful. The mussels were delicious (outstanding actually), the octopus was amazing. My husband got the salmon as an entree it was amazing, and I got the fried chicken. Very good, but I should have been more adventurous. We were too full for dessert, but the chocolate pudding in a mason jar looked delicious. Cocktails and wine were very good too. I can't wait to go back and try something new but I will get the mussels again.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great PeopleWestchestervisitVIPDined on 7/9/2014Sometimes great food and great ambiance fall short if the people that staff and manage a restaurant fall short. At Twisted Oak all three of these ingredients work magic! From the owners to the bus staff everyone exudes positive ions into this recipe for a great restaurant. Creative menu and charming space combine with amazing taste to make a winner. I enjoy each visit to the twisted oak!Special Features:
- Amazing!!!ToccopaDined on 6/27/2014Second time I've been to Twisted Oak. Both times the meal has been one of the best I've ever had. I highly recommend eating here!Special Features:
- Great new findOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/25/2014Food was truly delicious. Fresh and a great variety of different types of foods. Very original ! Great flavors. Must try the truffle chic peas, the salads were also amazing. Duck dish unique and crispy ! Nice job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow! Great find!NEBSVIPDined on 6/24/2014Such a wonderful place! We had the best, most tender octopus appetizer I have ever had. Softshell crabs were outstanding. Also the pork was outstanding. Dessert was superb (the chocolate dessert in a mason jar). The specialty cocktails were also wonderful. Service was excellent. I will go back often and highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great!NicknameVIPDined on 6/19/2014Great little find! We will definitely go back! Food was delicious, service was attentive, really enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Hits All Three PointsparaparaDined on 6/14/2014When i go to a new restaurant, i always rate it on 3 points: Food, Ambiance and Service....This restaurant was excellent in all areas, id give it 5 stars for all three. If i had to pick a negative, it would be the fact that parking is at a premium in this area and it took us 5 passes around the corners to finally find a spot and made us 15 minutes late for our reservation. This is not the fault of the restaurant, but, eaters beware and allow yourselves extra time to park!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved it!queenofheartsVIPDined on 6/11/2014Food was outstanding, and the service was great! Interesting menu! Jacob is excellent as Front of the House and made us feel very welcome. Chef Mike also paid us a visit, which was a nice touch. Our server was on top of his game, as well as the rest of the server staff. Will will definitely be back for a great meal!Special Features:
- okCheckPleaseDined on 6/6/2014The challenge is to overcome the horrible Marriot-style hotel ambience. The food was good, but the menu redundant (another item with an egg?). Not enough to push it into the 'let's go back' category.
- it needs timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/30/2014the food was great, just like the nyt's review promised but the service was not even close to great. we waited for drinks, first course and orders were mixed up and sometimes wrong. good attitude and the staff was sorry but couldn't get it right even then!Special Features:
- Amazing and inventive foodDeliciousVIPDined on 5/24/2014We enjoyed every dish at this inventive, unique and delicious neighborhood gem. It is a must for foodies and the service, menu, and presentation were wonderful and unique. We can't wait to go back.....Special Features:
- What is the fuss about?FoodieVIPDined on 5/23/2014Place was not crowded and would not inititally give us a regular table because we reserved "a " table on opentable thus the bar tables are fine. Both appetizers kind of a jello mold thing, one with fois, the other with vegatables. Servicable fish main courses. A good neighborhood place at best.
- Yum!Amierose88Dined on 5/20/2014Delicious food and fabulous suggestions from the waitstaff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/17/2014My new favorite place in Tarrytown, hands down. I've been there multiple times and the menu is always updated with new, amazing dishes. The service is fantastic, the drinks are delicious, and the food... New fave!Special Features:
- delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014excellent locally sourced food, imaginative recipesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made My Night :)OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/3/2014The more I discover restaurants such as Twisted Oak, the more I fall in love with Westchester. The Westchester food scene is emerging as quite a feast for foodies everywhere. We were greeted by the owner and also waited on to make sure our dining experience was perfect. I can't wait to go there again. I want to try everything on their menu. The name is perfect as the restaurant has a very eclectic and earthy quality.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/3/2014Great food, great service. The mussels appetizer was very tasty. The duck lasagna was also very good. Don't forget to try the chocolate in a jar dessert if you are a chocoholic.Special Features:
- Welcome additionsarahgailDined on 5/1/2014Nice new add to Tarrytown food scene. Food was outstanding, service maybe a little over enthusiastic but that's not really a complaint. My only complaint at all is that it's a bright room, noise-wise and got very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 29 reviews are from the The Twisted Oak reviews archive.
- second visitmaryVIPDined on 4/30/2014Love this new place!Enjoyed the beet salad again and my husband really liked the brussels sprouts . His short rib entree was tender and flavorful without being heavy perfect for the rainy evening we were there. My skate was a bit heavy on the breading and frying but i did still like it and we will definitely return.Special Features:
- Very inventive great food!TarrytowngeekVIPDined on 4/24/2014For our first course we shared truffled, flash-fried garbanzo beans, along with an order of two kinds of artichoke hearts. The garbanzo beans were so good I thought they were dusted with crack ;-) I wanted more and more (it was a generous portion, btw). My appetizer was a perfect radicchio salad with candied pecans and a good, light dressing. It all went together perfectly. My main was lasagne with duck prosciutto, wild mushrooms, and a duck egg on top. Oh, the culinary delight! It was an explosion of flavor! My partner ordered skate wing "schnitzel" with spaetzle & red cabbage. I loved it, he was not so thrilled, so we switched and we were both happy. Service was impeccable, the pace was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Truly Great MealMomaMaryDined on 4/23/2014I don't usually give five stars on a review because I figure there is always room for improvement. The Twisted Oak, I am happy to say, was an exception. It's a small restaurant with only about 40 seats. The menu changes daily to incorporate the freshest ingredients but of course the most popular items stay. For appetizers we had the brussel sprouts appetizer and the mussels. Both were outstanding. For entrees we had the lamp and the chicken. Wow on both of them. We shared a dessert that was chocolate in a jar. Again outstanding. The only knock I would have is they have a very small wine list but that being said, the wines they offered were very good. I would highly recommend to anyone! I would recommend making a reservation.Special Features:
- Excellent Farm to TableHartsdaleDined on 4/22/2014The food was excellent, the service was very attentive and the owner very welcoming. We were there on Earth Day - an appropriate day to eat at a farm-to-table restaurant. We just had one very small concern regarding sustainability. The great service included new silverware for each course, which meant that some clean silverware was taken away after each course and replaced by new silverware. That means a lot of unnecessary washing and drying of silver with associated wasted use of energy. Similarly, it was very nice to have my napkin replaced when I left the table for a minute, but that results in unnecessary energy use. Very minor points! Overall we had a wonderful experience and will be back soon.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseLPnJTDined on 4/15/2014Heard from locals to give it a try. Wasn't disappointed! Menu was small but food was farm fresh and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Restaurant ExperieceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/5/2014This restaurant is a disaster. We were quickly served our appetizers and then sat at the table for close to an hour with no entree in sight. No one came over to check on us and we had to yell out to get the waiter to the table. We were told the food is made to order and that was the reason for the delay. Another 10 minutes passed and still nothing. The waiter and the host/manager were fighting in the dining room, we could hear yelling from the kitchen. Ultimately we left without ever receiving our dinner. By far the worst dining experience I have ever had.
- New Tarrytown RestaurantNakiVIPDined on 3/27/2014I was a little nervous about having dinner at a new restaurant that has recently open for business. I usually wait a few months so they can get service ect. down. Well the service was flawless, the food amazing and it was a pleasant ambiance in this small quaint , we will be going back soon. Try the deep fried truffle garbanzo beans, they were delicious..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.