The Twisted Oak
61 Main Street
Tarrytown, NY 10591Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Twisted Oak
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thetwistedoakny.com/
- Phone: 9143321992x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Cutney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private intimate dining room accommodates up to 60 guests for special functions.
- Private Party Contact: Jacob Parenti 9143321992x
A word from The Twisted Oak
Chef Michael Cutney's newest Venture The Twisted Oak, takes a fun and casual approach to New American Fare with Italian Influences. Sourcing from Local Farmers and Growers,The Twisted Oak offers a daily changing menu featuring ingredients from the Hudson Valleys' Bounty. Located just steps away from the famed Tarrytown Music Hall, the Restaurant is set in a turn of the century photography studio. The main dining room is dressed with paintings from local artists and the bar, which was handcrafted from Oak Wine Barrels, you can expect to find boutique wines, seasonal cocktails, and local brews. The Twisted Oak is quickly becoming a neighborhood favorite with its delicious food, refined service, and excellent hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Twisted Oak - Best Restaurants in Tarrytown ›
The Twisted Oak reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (51)neighborhood gem (39)special occasion (22)romantic (16)hot spot (10)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (7)notable wine list (4)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- What a meal!DeliciousVIPDined on 10/17/2014Be prepared for a rich, and delicious meal like you've never had. The chef is inventive and combines ingredients that complement and enhance each other and very inventive.Special Features:
- Good, but needs work.HBogDined on 10/17/2014The Twisted Oak was fair/good and has a lot of potential. Some dishes were terrific. Fresh ingredients and inventive, well-prepared dishes throughout the menu, however, the staff, although extremely friendly, seemed overwhelmed on a Friday evening. The timing of the wait staff and the kitchen were off resulting in certain dishes being lukewarm and even soggy. Also, there was only one bartender for the entire restaurant and active bar on a Friday.Special Features:
- A findOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/11/2014The food, service, atmosphere was superb. A great new local restaurant in Tarrytown. Very accommodating to my food concerns since I am gluten free and diary free. Thank you Chef Chutney and his staff...
- Just an average first experience...GeoffUDined on 10/10/2014Twisted Oak has all the ingredients for a superstar meal, but failed to deliver. The space is inviting, if not spectacular. The menu has many well thought out dishes and the servers try very hard to be attentive. That all said, the meal itself didn't hit the lofty standards the restaurant has for itself. Given the prices, I am hard pressed to say this was a very good or outstanding overall experience. Was truly hoping for more. It's hard to differentiate Twisted Oak from other peers on the Tarrytown strip.Special Features:
- Foodie heavenZiporahjDined on 10/10/2014My friend and I had a supremely delicious meal at The Twisted Oak this past Friday. We shared apps and a salmon entree. The kitchen brought out truffled chickpeas as a nibble and we inhaled them. I want the recipe. Service was just right - always there when we needed them but never a rush. It got noisy but it was ok - people were clearly having a good time. I will be back!Special Features:
- OverratedPastaplusDined on 10/10/2014Food was good enough, the wine list though reasonably priced are not worth paying for and our service was just OK for a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BerniceDined on 10/10/2014I have eaten at the best (and most expensive restaurants) in NYC plus my grandfather was chef at a major NYC hotel. At Twisted Oak I came away thrilled with the unusual and most delicious new tastes on your menu! All I can say is BRAVO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TinaDined on 10/4/2014Service was good but the overall food for price was overrated.Special Features:
- Fun, inventive, tasty foodRailguyVIPDined on 10/3/2014Despite a limited menu what they served was excellent. My wife and I both had excelletn salads and delicious entrees. My wife loved the kale salad and my spinach with pear and concord grape vinaigrette was one of the best I ever had. Meal ended with great desert; chef's take on a smore. Fun, inventive tasty food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- empty upon arrivalLuvNashvilleDined on 9/30/2014When we got there only one other table was occupied. It never got to more than half-filled, but the food was very good, and the service was good.Special Features:
- Very Nice DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/24/2014We had a lovely anniversary dinner here. Tables were well spaced, so the dinner felt intimate. Service was very attentive, but never felt rushed. For appetizers we had a very simple and delicious tomato salad (clearly farm to table heirloom tomatoes, very ripe and flavorful) and house-cured pork loin, sliced razor-thin, yum. Entrees were also very nice, I had a wild caught salmon with corn pudding, my husband cod with roasted tomatoes (I think?), fish was well cooked, sides were paired well, portions were reasonable. Overall very satisfied, and would come here for a nice dinner again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedsteveVIPDined on 9/17/2014Took forever to get someone to take a drink order, then even longer to get the drinks (which we watched sitting on the corner of the bar for almost 10 minutes). Starters -- chickpeas and a tomato salad -- were quite good. But, the mains were highly disappointing; basically, two tasteless pieces of fish, despite the advertised spicy sauces. Due to slow service, we had to rush out (for a show) without coffee or dessert.
- Interesting disasterKnowplanbDined on 9/13/2014The food and the ambience are exactly what you are looking for when you want to have an exciting evening and interesting new dishes with your partner. Problem is service and organization would not hold up at the Burger King drive thru
- AnonDined on 9/10/2014We were intruiged! We had heard and read many differeing opinions about Twisted Oak, most notably about the service. No issues at all with the service or timing on the food - in fact we were almost over served but not in a bad way at all. Food was delicious and the servers took the time to explain their favorite dishes and genuinely answer our questions. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Farm to TableTravelingDinerDined on 9/10/2014Three ladies ordered over 7 appetizers, sharable table items and entrees. It was way more food than we could eat but each dish was delicious and well prepared. Will definitely make this a regular stop when in the Tarrytown area. Delicious!Special Features:
- Always interesting and good food.WheredayawannaeatVIPDined on 9/6/2014We enjoy this restaurant with a menu that changes daily. Gluten free accommodations are made. Portions tend to be small though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs front of the house helpEaterVIPDined on 9/6/2014Good food and drinks and an ambitious menu. But very unorganized and amateurish service caused the experience overall to be very disappointing. Unfortunately we can't recommend this restaurant and will not be back.
- Fix Your ServicekronyVIPDined on 9/6/2014Food was very good if a bit pricey. But the service was very poor. Waited 10 minutes for waiter. Ordered drinks and waited 15 minutes before they arrived. Appetizers came 15 minutes after that and then another 40 minutes to get entrees. I saw a couple walkout after sitting at the table with menus for about 20 minutes and not getting an order taken, and another group of four do the same thing. For these prices the service should be as good as the food and it is not. Not clear if this is a kitchen problem or front of the house but I'm not going back until a read reviews showing an improvement.
- They need to get their act togetherdebmomVIPDined on 9/6/2014OMG the service in this establishment is by far the worst I have ever experienced. The busboy poured water down my leg and into my friends purse! We should have left then but we stayed for dinner. This is a farm to table restaurant. We ordered 2 appetizers for 4 people and 4 entrees. The appetizers took 45 minutes to come to the table. We were starving. We ate them, they were fine, nothing to write home about. Tomato salad was several different types of tomatoes cut up with some dressing on top. Eh! Rather small for the cost. The main dishes were better than the apps but were not worth the additional 40 minute wait. We skipped dessert didn't want to wait again!
- Outstanding!HelenaDined on 9/6/2014We absolutely love this restaurant! The food is to die for! Everything I have ever had personally has been delicious and wonderfully prepared. I have been there a number of times and the staff recognizes me and remembers I have a gluten allergy. I think that is pretty amazing. This is my first choice of restaurant when it's a special occasion or when getting together with friends. I live in Rockland and am more than willing to drive over to Tarrytown for the food, service and ambiance of The Twisted Oak!Special Features:
- Very slow kitchen...CleanEating9Dined on 9/5/2014First time at this local restaurant that we were curious to try, given the widely mixed reviews. Unfortunately we had a disappointing dining experience. The room was pleasantly decorated, but became unbearably loud over the course of the evening to the point where conversation was impossible. We waited well over an hour for our entrees which were quite mediocre when they finally arrived, and a side dish was forgotten. Not worth the time or the expense. We will not return.
- Great find in TarrytownlovetodineDined on 8/26/2014Wonderful, casual, friendly restaurant with an imaginative menu and excellent food and service. Great salads and chicken. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too longOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/22/2014The restaurant was not busy yet it took over an 30 minutes for main course to come after appetizers were cleared. Service was ok but needs some work too.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014I came here with friends and had a delicious meal. It's a pretty restaurant with great service and the menu is very unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really wanted to love it but didn'tFinerDinerDined on 8/15/2014I had heard rave reviews early on about Twisted Oak and had tried several times to get reservations, finally landing one on a Friday during a summer "Third Friday" in Tarrytown. Despite having a relatively early reservation and arriving when before the restaurant filled up, the service was ubearably slow. Had to ask waiter to check on our food 3 times - then 2 of our dishes were cold when they arrived. The menu is inventive ... but sometimes overly so. Took a while to figure out items under "Mill" were primarily pastas. I love that they try to be different in the 'burbs, but the food was mediocre, the prices were high, the ambiance so-so. They do fold your napkin when you leave the table, though. Worth a second shot.Special Features:
- Loved everything!FoodieDined on 8/14/2014We came here for a birthday celebration.Everything from the drinks to the poutine and truffled chick peas was delicious. The main courses were outstanding the short ribs with polenta and the special fish were all great. Dessert was a chocolate pudding in a mason jar was a must have. We will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experiencenelly632Dined on 8/8/2014The food was fabulous and the service terrific. I had read some reviews about bad service, but we did not experience this at all. In fact, the host went above and beyond to make each and every guest feel special. And the food was incredible. I highly recommend the Short Ribs.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpisePKleinbergDined on 8/8/2014Twisted Oak is a great addition to the neighborhood! We enormously enjoyed the soft shell crab appetizer, which was generously proportioned with cockles and perfectly, lightly fried crab. Kudos to the chef for the suckling pig ravioli, which was so yummy I wished I had not split the dish with my husband. The pork cheek and short rib entrees were savory and delicious. Terrific restaurant for foodies. Very nice service as well. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/2/2014We went with great anticipation and while the food was good, the service was amateurish and not attentive. The chef seems talented and creative and hopefully he can create a better front of house experience.
- Too loudDebhVIPDined on 8/1/2014Heard great things about this restaurant No ambiance to speak of...room was way to loud..need so e acoustical tiles ,, service was very spotty.. We kept having to flag the waiter down for everything . Three of the four dinners were undercooked ... We left and went up the street for dessert. Better places In Tarrytown that are also more caring.. I had been so looking forward to eating here.
- twisted oakMemeDined on 7/23/2014really great food--can't wait until it opens for lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY weird servicefood71Dined on 7/19/2014The food was mostly outstanding. These guys have a really good understanding of ascension of flavor, and most of the dishes were perfectly prepared. The cooked kale was a sour note -- great flavor, but really chewy. Like paper chewy. But the desserts more than made up for that. Overall, a solid A. The menu is a little tricky. The chef delights in obscure Italian cooking terminology. And, given his tendency to reinterpret these terms somewhat whimsically, the whole thing was kind of annoying. Still, not a tragic flaw. The service was a tragic flaw. Most of the staff was great, but our waitress was scary. Like crazy-eyes, predatory crazy. Like we didn't complain about the 2 hours our meal took because she made us really nervous scary.Special Features:
- A great findWR711Dined on 7/12/2014This was an excellent evening. Started with a Cabin in the Woods at the bar. A great cocktail. The bartender was gracious and beautiful. We were seated within a few minutes. Started off with the chickpeas as everyone does and they were worth it. Main course was the Short Ribs cooked perfectly and uniquely flavored. Chocolate in a jar was tremendous. Thanks to Jacob and his staff. Everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/12/2014Amazing interesting food. Can't wait to go back Cozy warm and inviting space but very small. Staff was excited and really knowledgableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoohDined on 7/12/2014food was interesting,noise level and service abominable..
- Delightful new Tarrytown diningChanteuseVIPDined on 7/9/2014Charming ambiance, a warm welcome, delicious food! We loved the corn sformato- never had anything like that before. Succulent soft-shell crabs. Definitely a place to return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Great FoodJRA222VIPDined on 7/9/2014The food was delicious, the service very, very good. I had a little trouble with the menu to be honest, it seemed a bit complicated, but the server was helpful. The mussels were delicious (outstanding actually), the octopus was amazing. My husband got the salmon as an entree it was amazing, and I got the fried chicken. Very good, but I should have been more adventurous. We were too full for dessert, but the chocolate pudding in a mason jar looked delicious. Cocktails and wine were very good too. I can't wait to go back and try something new but I will get the mussels again.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great PeopleWestchestervisitVIPDined on 7/9/2014Sometimes great food and great ambiance fall short if the people that staff and manage a restaurant fall short. At Twisted Oak all three of these ingredients work magic! From the owners to the bus staff everyone exudes positive ions into this recipe for a great restaurant. Creative menu and charming space combine with amazing taste to make a winner. I enjoy each visit to the twisted oak!Special Features:
- Amazing!!!ToccopaDined on 6/27/2014Second time I've been to Twisted Oak. Both times the meal has been one of the best I've ever had. I highly recommend eating here!Special Features:
- The following 45 reviews are from the The Twisted Oak reviews archive.
- Great new findOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/25/2014Food was truly delicious. Fresh and a great variety of different types of foods. Very original ! Great flavors. Must try the truffle chic peas, the salads were also amazing. Duck dish unique and crispy ! Nice job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.