The Turf Room
1033 Kilbery Street
North Aurora, IL 60542Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Turf Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theturfroomrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6309069300
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shawn Hartwig
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Turf Room
The Turf Room offers an American Eclectic menu that changes with each season. Whether in one of our three dining rooms, lounge, wine bar, or track room, you are assured of a great experience. So relax and enjoy the upbeat atmosphere, friendly service, and most of all the unique Gastronomy!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Turf Room - Best Restaurants in Aurora ›
The Turf Room reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (82)special occasion (77)great for outdoor dining (75)good for groups (61)notable wine list (60)romantic (59)neighborhood gem (54)vibrant bar scene (38)great for lunch (30)hot spot (28)great for brunch (15)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (10)scenic view (2)Show More
- Fun in Aurora, IL.ModPost1Dined on 9/20/2014We were in Plano to see the Farnsworth House for my birthday and went here for dinner. It is a really busy place, especially on a Saturday night, so be sure to make a reservation. If you want to sit outside, request it in advance. Even though the restaurant is in a shopping mall, parking was actually difficult, so get there in plenty of time! The food and the service were wonderful. My husband had the duck, which he said was some of the best he had ever had. I had one of the Prime Angus steaks, and it was fantastic. The waitress was extremely helpful with the wine list, which is really comprehensive. We had two excellent wines and a nice port with dessert. Service was terrific overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavor good..Service SS..Food ColdChefJeffinyourHouseDined on 9/20/2014Our 1st time visiting the Turf Room. Well, after a great start with drinks and an appetizer things did a complete 180 degree turn. After ordering and waiting for 40 minutes was told by our server that a large party was getting all the kitchens attention (that's not our fault) and that our food would be out in a bit. After receiving a visit from the Manager on Duty we received our food. My wife's food was the Smoke on the Water Scallop pasta which she loved, mine was the Meatloaf flight, which was cold so it was sent back..a few minutes later another flight arrived and it too was cold and sent back. The Manager did a great job with handling the situation. Overall time in house: 2 hoursSpecial Features:
- Great date night spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Don't be afraid of the parking lot being full--this is a very big restaurant--much bigger on the inside than on the outside. The fireplace gives a great vibe, although your clothes will small like a campfire when you leave!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!FoodieatheartDined on 9/19/2014The good was amazing, great gnocchi, highly recommend as a place with innovative dishes and great ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014Had another outstanding meal here on a Sunday night with out of town visitors. Service, food, mood, ambiance was perfect and our guests were impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date NightSscp11Dined on 9/13/2014The atmosphere is awesome. It's fun and hip. The food is amazing and I highly recommend saving room for the root beer float cookies. Freshly baked, chewy and sinful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always!MikeDined on 9/13/2014Theron is one of the best servers we have come across in a long time!Special Features:
- Great service, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014We have eaten here several times for special occasions. The food is very good especially if you like different seafood. We stick with the fish and have not been disappointed. They carry varieties that you don't see anywhere else and cook it to perfection. We always get the calamari appetizer which is always great.Special Features:
- AwesomeDwpLjpVIPDined on 9/12/2014Every dish perfect. Sea bass had a sear on it that was mouth watering, like that light sear on perfectly crisped has browns.
- Great service and food!KaihuiVIPDined on 9/9/2014We went here for my husband's 40th birthday and received excellent service. We ordered the Bone marrow appetizer, it was tasty but way too few of it. The manager heard about our complain and took it off our bill. Our son then didn't like his steak (we were the problem table :)), they changed the order for him without any hesitation. I loved my tuna dish, and my husband enjoyed his short rib very much. Overall an excellent visit!Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014I have to say my husband and I went to your restaurant for our anniversary, it was wonderful. we decided to take our kids back for a birthday dinner for our son and were very disappointed.......the waiter was awful, very unattentive, seemed too busy to take care of us. At one point I timed it and we waited 10 min for refills very disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aurora Area CVBBigMikePDined on 9/4/2014We dined with the Tournament Directors of an EWGA Regional Qualifying Golf Tournament sanctioned by the LPGA. They raved about their dining experience and great service even two days later!Special Features:
- luvditDined on 9/4/2014Food was fabulous, our waiter was personable and knowledgeable about the menu and the specialty drinks.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Our new favorite restaurant in the Western Suburbs! The food, service and drinks were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indulgent Sunday BrunchTravelingHomeCookVIPDined on 8/31/2014Highly recommend the brunch. The options in the hot bar and cold bar were adequate. The omelet station was standard, but very good. The prime rib is prepared perfectly. Options for kids are slightly inadequate. The waffle station is about the same as any hot breakfast waffle in a cheap hotel, but everything else was excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful Placemama2jaDined on 8/30/2014This is our favorite restaurant in the Fox Valley. We go here as often as we can. The food is wonderful! Wine list is great and the special drinks are fun to try. The Hummus trio is our favorite appetizer, but if you get that, you won't be able to eat much food! The fireplaces, both in and outside, are great. What a fun place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always differentOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 8/30/2014A go to place. Many creative and inventive choices. Would like to see more reasonable wine choices but what is available is tasty. My wife had tacos and added an extra and I had duck stroganoff which was a winner. Plenty for kids options also. Great location for us. Thanks Jocelyn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frequent dinersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We come here often and are never disappointed. The food is excellent and there is something new to try all the time. The staff are friendly from the front door to the wait staff. Try to Jambalaya it is fantastic with a little kick!Special Features:
- Good Restaurant!SueILDined on 8/29/2014We took our neighbors out to dinner, we had the bruschetta and scallops for appetizers. Both were good, I like their calamari the best! Three had pasta dishes, side salads, all happy with their meal. I had the lobster bisque, which I love, and a steak (iron) for $25, I was happy with the meat, took half home and warmed it up for the next day, still good! Their drinks are excellent, wine list is excellent. We did not get deserts, but I'm sure they are very good too! Very happy to have this restaurant near our home, Chicago and Naperville quality without having to go the distance!Special Features:
- Varied MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/29/2014The Turf Room offers bar food with a twist. There were several selections that were interesting and I would return to try them. It is a noisy place, however. I would not go there with a group as it would be hard to converse. The service was slow, we definitely got the impression that our order had not been placed as tables seated around, and after us, received their food before we did. We were offered no explanation or apology.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatrichELLENVIPDined on 8/23/2014First class restaurant with great food. Never disappointed, we dine here on a regular basis and love it each time we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceGirlfriendDined on 8/23/2014This was our 2nd visit in the past 2 months. The wine list is great and so is the food. However, the service is extremely slow! The 1st time we thought maybe it was just that night. However, this time, we started with a drink in the bar and it was like pulling teeth to get our waitress over to take our order. Then, after being seated in a very hard, uncomfortable booth, we waited a solid 15-20 minute for the waiter to show his face. The entire evening drug on, constantly waiting, even down to them bringing the check back to sign. We were very embarrassed to bring friends who had not been there before.Special Features:
- Food is Delicious!peachpieDined on 8/19/2014Been to Turf Room twice now for lunch - once on a weekend, once on a weekday. I've dined outside and inside. Cobb salad was best I've had and the Don Quijote cocktail was amazing! Crab cakes also delicious. Great service, friendly, clean place, good ambiance. We'll be back again...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soooo TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014Had a birthday lunch for my mother with my son & his fiance, who frequently drink & dine at The Turf Room. This was my 2nd experience here and both times, the food was outstanding. Service was very accomodating, too. Recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOut4FunDined on 8/16/2014From the moment we arrived the staff greeted us with smiles and friendliness. We had a reservation and arrived slightly early. We were promptly seated at a quiet table they had set up with a candle. The server greeted us with a champaign toast, as I mentioned at the time of booking it was our anniversary. Totally unexpected!! Our waiter was very knowledgable and helpful with selections. Everybody who came pass our table acknowledged our anniversary. The food was cooked exactly as we ordered it. At the end of the meal we were also surprised with a complimentary dessert, chocolate torte, yummy. They never rushed us and it was a very relaxing romantic dinner. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still GoodReggieVIPDined on 8/16/2014I regulary go to Turf Room and I've never been disappointed. The staff's friendly and knowledgable. The food is excellent. Parking is ususally easy to find and there are lots of options from the bar. Definitely a gem......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu change and slow serverbrew1Dined on 8/15/2014I was disappointed that a favorite dish of mine was removed from the menu and had a hard time finding something to select besides an appetizer. There are too many menus as well (sandwich, wind, dinner ,etc) had to ask for each of them. Server was slow and was never offered a second glass of wineSpecial Features:
- Miss the previous chefDiner88Dined on 8/10/2014The Turf Room has been a favorite of ours for years, especially as a date night restaurant. The service and ambiance are still fantastic, but we miss the former chef. My two favorite salads (steak and sea bass) are no longer on the menu. The new chef has added ingredients we don't like to other dishes, and has a "no substitutions" rule. Roasted grapes were fine in the stroganoff, but none of us liked the roasted strawberries in the gnocci, and I don't like mustard which is now in the salmon dish and others. We've stopped coming here as often because there's very little we like on the new menu.Special Features:
- Delectable Dining!LoreeRDined on 8/9/2014The Turf Room is a must visit! The food is so different and outstanding -compliments to the chefs! The martinis are fabulous! The atmosphere is amazing! Our server Dave was outstanding! Loved every minute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks for another great evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/2/2014This was our third visit to The Turf Room, and it has never failed to deliver excellent food and wine, and outstanding service. This time we sat outside on the patio, and it had somewhat of a Napa-Valley feel – just needed the surrounding vineyards. One of the unusual things about this place is that ALL of the serving staff has been knowledgeable about both food and wine. We have been particularly impressed by servers Amy and Adam. We absolutely would recommend The Turf Room to friends and family. Thank you for another enjoyable dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great environment/ mediocre foodMandiBeeDined on 8/2/2014I tried the duck stroganoff. The pro- the duck was tender and good. The con- the creamy confit sauce was surely lacking flavor and the plate didn't have as much sauce as I thought a stroganoff should have. My fiance had the chops and sweet potatoes. Chops were juicy and tender yet lacking that wonderful flavor that you desire from a well-seasoned chop. The dessert- chocolate torte- was good. Nothing to write home about. The triple chocolate meltdown at Applebee's is a much better choice for flavor and your wallet. In my opinion, I think the chefs try too hard and fail leaving you with a $100+ bill. The ambience is great. The atmosphere definitely made up for what we missed on the table.Special Features:
- Theron is the best!MikeDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I returned to the Turf Room because of the excellent service that Theron provided and this time was no exception! Food was great and Theron made some great wine recommendations!Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014The Turf Room is a family favorite for all occasions! We have gone to the Saddle Room, too, loved it.....but our loyalty is to our first love!Special Features:
- Good food and serviceSwissDined on 7/29/2014Overall very good experience; good food, good wine, good service. A couple things to note though were there. Having to turn on the light on your phone to be able to read the menu is a bit disturbing. It does not have to be bright, but I think it is a too dark in there. There were some confusions on the appetizers. First one salad came out, then it got taken back to wait for the other appetizers. Then the other appetizers came out, but the salad did not. That there is not kids menu is also a bit a struggle. Should not have to order a full size pizza for a 5 year old in the price category the Turf Room is.Special Features:
- Nice BrunchDottycatDined on 7/27/2014I went to brunch on Sunday at 11:30am with my son for my birthday. The weather was nice and we were offered inside or outside seating. We chose to eat inside. Since it is summer their brunch crowd is not very busy. There was no need for a reservation. The buffet had a nice pasta, ham tetrazzini with pastry puffs, the usual ham, bacon, sausage. Scrambled eggs- mashed potatoes and a few hot sides. 4 really unique cold salads- a variety of fruits- pastries- waffles with topping and a very good prime rib with horseradish sauce. And their yummy crusty salty bread with butter. Not a ton of variety but what is offered is excellent food and interesting taste profiles. Great place to go instead of the chaos of larger buffets. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Amazing qualityFitMomArmyDined on 7/24/2014Everything from my fresh squeezed margarita to the kale salad I thoroughly enjoyed my experience. These days it's challenging trying to find a place that's worth spending the money. This was spot on!! Service was a but slow but we weren't in a hurry so it was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatalbrieVIPDined on 7/23/2014I love the turf room. The food is outstanding and the service is always great. No complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New chef...Foodie721Dined on 7/19/2014My husband and I have gone to The Turf Room quite a bit in the past for birthdays and our anniversary. Unfortunately, this last visit was very disappointing compared to the other times we were there. The ambience and cocktail menu were great. The food on the other hand was not good. We ordered the lobster bisque soup, like we always do, expecting it to be amazing as always and it just wasn't. We mentioned something to the waiter and he mentioned there is a new chef. :( We also ordered the filet and even though we ordered them medium rare they were hard to chew and the demi glaze was not good. I never write reviews but I felt I really needed too after this most recent experience. Would love to know where the previous chef went!!Special Features:
- Noisy, and so-so foodbeersnobDined on 7/12/2014We were at a table that was close to corner, separated by curtains from other tables. Table in corner was extremely loud - lots of drinking. Couldn't hear waiter when he first came to table. I complained, but he said they would be leaving in a few minutes. Extreme loudness continued throughout our meal and that party finally left as we were paying the bill. Waiter did not want to talk to them. Our appetizer and pasta dishes were average at best. They had fairly extensive drink menu, but without prices. Had a little surprise when we got the bill - $15 for each beer. I should have asked before ordering. I usually pay around $10 for this beer at other restaurants. Adds up fatSpecial Features:
- DisappointedNickVIPDined on 7/12/2014We have frequented this restaurant many times and always enjoyed our food. This weekend we took family from out of town and were quite disappointed. The air conditioner vents from above leaked on us the whole time and when we asked to move they said that all the tables were having the same issue. Real great to see dirty water leak on your plates and yourself. Then my husband ordered the bubba chop after the waiter made it sound so delicious, it was ordered medium and it came so well done and tough my husband didn't even eat much of it. The only thing that was good was dessert, French toast was yummy. All in all though I don't think we will make the drive again.