The Turf Room
1033 Kilbery Street
North Aurora, IL 60542Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Turf Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theturfroomrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (630) 906-9300
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shawn Hartwig
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Turf Room
The Turf Room offers an American Eclectic menu that changes with each season. Whether in one of our three dining rooms, lounge, wine bar, or track room, you are assured of a great experience. So relax and enjoy the upbeat atmosphere, friendly service, and most of all the unique Gastronomy!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Turf Room - Best Restaurants in Aurora ›
The Turf Room reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (83)fit for foodies (74)notable wine list (70)good for groups (62)romantic (59)neighborhood gem (56)great for outdoor dining (51)hot spot (42)vibrant bar scene (39)great for lunch (23)late-night find (18)kid-friendly (11)great for brunch (10)scenic view (5)Show More
- Great DinnerCaseyVIPDined on 11/24/2014My wife and I celebrated our 13 years if marriage this week and dinner at the Turf Room was once again excellent! Our daughters were along with us and the wait staff did a great job catering to all of us! Once again this place exceeded our expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to returnOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2014We had a late night dinner there Sat night and enjoyed everything about our experience very much. Great food and cocktails. We can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice Change of Pace!FitcoupleDined on 11/22/2014My husband and I were delighted with our Turf Room experience. We were late for our reservation but the hostess did not bat an eye and sat us immediately. Our server was very concerned that we know the drink and food menu, which was rare and nice! I had the meatloaf flight (VERY good, albeit a little spicy!) and my husband loved his duck stroganoff. I see other reviews that the duck stroganoff is too rich or strong, I don't believe that is the case.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2014First time going. Two of us. Had calamari appetizer which was pretty good, then lobster bisque which I wouldn't get again. Seemed like tomato soup with added cream and lobster. Had the filet and ribeye. Both were excellent. Huge wine list but seemed overpriced compared to other similar restaurants. Server was very friendly and attentive. Walked out with a $265 bill after 2 glasses of wine before dinner and a bottle at dinner. They have video poker and OTB which we didn't do but nice to have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What A Night!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/21/2014It was our first time and it was amazing. The service, the drinks, the food all great! Will be back again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for an occasional visitMarlaDined on 11/13/2014The huge fireplace in the center of the room, along with the unique atmosphere makes this place worth visiting every now and then. The martini's are great and they have a nice wine list. A bit on the pricey side for the size of servings. My friend had a salmon salad and the size of the fish was smaller than a deck of cards. There weren't many ingredients in the salad. I enjoyed the duck stroganoff for a few bits but it was way too rich so I couldn't eat much of it. The 3rd person in our party had a pasta and scallop dish. The scallops were really tiny and didn't have much taste. But she said it was good for something different. The server was nice enough, but not overly friendly. That was fine. The thing that bothered me the most were the hard seats. The booths and chairs are all wood, so don't plan on getting comfortable for long. So all in all, we enjoyed it but wouldn't run back. Still, we don't regret experiencing it. I may try it for lunch sometime.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodgoagainDined on 11/8/2014It took some time to be seated for our reservation. Hosts kept us informed and due to the delay brought us a "top" draft beer on the house. Made no excuses and wanted to make sure we were provided with a great experience. It is great to be at a business that really know how to give the associates the opportunity to really make the customer feel special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the driveMamabearDined on 11/8/2014We met friends here. It was a good meeting spot but turned out to be so much more. Love the fireplace to sit around for drinks. Food was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2014Great atmosphere, especially in the main dining room with the fireplace. Lots of food choices - we had the ribeye and salmon, and both were excellent. Nice wine list.Special Features:
- Amazing PlaceBrinaDined on 10/25/2014The Turf Room is a wonderful restaurant with outstanding customer service. Food is excellent. My friend and I both had the Chilean Sea Bass which we both agreed was perfect.Special Features:
- Very ConsistentBrew2goVIPDined on 10/25/2014The food, drinks, ambiance, and service is wonderful. This was our second time at the Turf Room and will return.Special Features:
- Never disappointedjreitz1984Dined on 10/25/2014The service is always amazing, and the food was outstanding! Turf room is still at the top of our list for favorite local restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & serviceJimVDined on 10/24/2014Good food and service, but smell like burnt wood after because of the smoke from the fireplaces.Special Features:
- Turf Room has it allscz42Dined on 10/24/2014We have dined at the Turf Room for many years now. We have brought family and friends there and when in town, many request to go back. They have a number of dishes that you never forget and crave for. Everything is top notch; food, service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!SueILDined on 10/18/2014We went for our wedding anniversary. We have been to this restaurant prior and have always been happy with everything. TherPastas are excellent. I especially like the lobster bisque, calamari, sea bass, and their cocktails are unique and fun! My favorite desert is the goat cheese cake, the best cheese cake I've ever had!:-). You will not be dissapointed at this restaurant, we are going to try the happy hour next time, haven't trued that yet, but menu looks good,Special Features:
- Not Sure What HappenedMikeVIPDined on 10/18/2014We've been to the Turf Room a number of times and have requested a certain server and area to sit in and have never had our request denied. This reservation had the same request but we weren't given the server or dining area we requested. While we understand that not all requests can be honored, it wasn't until we were seated that we knew that our request wouldn't be accommodated. It was interesting to note that the Turf Room was only half full and the server and area we requested was available the whole time we were dining.Special Features:
- NicknameVIPDined on 10/12/2014Very interesting entree and appetizer selections, wonderful food, nice ambience. We were very impressed until dessert. We were disappointed in the dessert selection and what we ordered.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnersir13Dined on 10/11/2014We were pleasantly surprised by this restaurant's selection of drinks and food. Since it does have an off-track betting bar, we thought it might not have a great atmosphere or menu. Everything we ate was superb ! Would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysFranDined on 10/11/2014Although we couldn't get a seat in the Wine Bar room, the Meeting Room turned out to be better, more romantic, more private and quieter. Service was good, food delightful, wine delicious, and the decaf-cappuccinos to end the meal, perfect. I don't eat out very often, and the Turf Room has always proven the right special outing for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding restaurant and bar.SysProgDined on 10/11/2014The service and food are always excellent. The servers are friendly and know the menu (food and drink). I have never had a bad experience at The Turf Room. What is really nice is that on Friday and Saturday nights (I have only gone on a Friday or a Saturday) the chef sends out a small serving of a one-time creation. There is just a bite or two per person (I only go with my wife) and it is almost always very tasty. Sometimes I wish that they would offer some of these creations as an appetizer. The Comfortably Numb martini is outstanding. We've stopped in once or twice just for this drink.Special Features:
- Love the horse themed atmospherelidapinkDined on 10/9/2014I've been here twice and really enjoyed the food both times. They have a nice wine list, though a bit on the high side. And if you love horses, you will love the decor.Special Features:
- awesome dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014Everything from the ambiance, menu, and service was 1st rate. The all around fireplace , delicious martinis, and exceptional cuisine , including a complimentary tasting of a new appetizer from the chef's kitchen, made the night special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- janwenVIPDined on 10/4/2014We always look forward to a meal at The Turf Room. The entire experience was great again. Our martinis were filled to the rim and they don't skimp on quality ingredients. They always bring out small appetizer tastings which are unique and flavorful. The entrees were delicious. My girlfriend ordered the seared tuna and said it was the best dinner that she has had in a long time. We finished with the chocolate torte which was amazing.
- Anniversary dinnerDRxJDined on 10/1/2014Have been to The Turf Room many times and wanted to enjoy another milestone here. Noted on the reservation that it was our 10th anniversary. Showed up a half hour early and the good folks were very accommodating by sitting us within minutes. We both enjoyed the complementary champagne by candle light and a nice dessert as well. The real treat though was the great food and fine service we were provided. The Honolulu tuna was outstanding. My juicy steak was cooked medium rare to perfection. Sides of cauliflower and pre-dinner appetizers were also tremendous. Overall, it was everything we wanted in a celebratory dining experience. Our server Mike was a absolute professional throughout the visit. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OsuezqDined on 9/28/2014First time at The Turf, recommended by friends who we met there. Sat next to a beautiful fire/fireplace, very interesting menu for both food and drink. There is an outdoor patio, dining room and an OTB area, plus a bar. We were in the dining room. All the staff was very friendly, our waiter was knowledgeable about the menu and made great recommendations. Looking forward to my next visit!!Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningDoctorSpongeDined on 9/27/2014We were seated immediately with reservations. The service was exceptional, and the food and drinks easily compete with anything in Chicago. Will defitinitley return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brook8Dined on 9/27/2014The Turf Room is a great place to spend an intimate time with friends outside on the patio by the fire. My wife and I met another couple for dinner prior to going to see a play. We had such a great time with dinner that the play, which was supposed to be the main event, become secondary to the wonderful time that we had at dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelmed, I would not go backandrea123Dined on 9/26/2014The food was a huge disappointment. My husband's fish was undercooked, my salad was underwhelming, the vegetable was swimming in bacon fat and the appetizer was just ok. I wanted to be impressed by the place but sadly was not! I let the waiter talk me out of my first choice which was a filo chicken. When I asked his opinion, he described it as similar to a "hot pocket". The salad he suggested however was boring and uninspired so the "hot pocket" might have been a better choice! They do have a huge wine list but the majority of the wines are very pricey. We settled on a 60 dollar bottle and that was on the cheaper side of their offerings. I found the food boring and ordinary! I wouldn't go back, nor would I recomend it to anyone else.
- Friday night dinnerChrisDined on 9/26/2014We had dinner on Friday at the Turf Room. We were seated promptly and the service was excellent. We sat on the patio and it was our first time. We had to swat away flies on our table for most of dinner. The wine and beer selection is great however the chicken and fish entrees are somewhat limited. The Mac and cheese was a little pricey for the serving size. The lobster bisque was a little light on the lobster. Other than that we had a great evening at the turf roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placerkieckDined on 9/24/2014The food is imaginative, extremely well prepared and well presented. Service is friendly and extremely well informed about both food and the highly regarded wine list. It can be a little loud and the open-pit fireplace could be an issue if you're too close. But overall, a great choice. Also a lively bar scene with the off-track betting facility just steps away on the other side of the bar.Special Features:
- Not disappointed!PalValDined on 9/21/2014Everytime we go to the Turf Room, we say, "best meal yet!" This time did not disappoint. The pork chops were the best we have had anywhere, the gnocchi carbonara were delicious, the pork belly was amazing, and the veggie lasagna was perfect! Our server Frederick was so knowledgeable. Thank you so much for another wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun in Aurora, IL.ModPost1Dined on 9/20/2014We were in Plano to see the Farnsworth House for my birthday and went here for dinner. It is a really busy place, especially on a Saturday night, so be sure to make a reservation. If you want to sit outside, request it in advance. Even though the restaurant is in a shopping mall, parking was actually difficult, so get there in plenty of time! The food and the service were wonderful. My husband had the duck, which he said was some of the best he had ever had. I had one of the Prime Angus steaks, and it was fantastic. The waitress was extremely helpful with the wine list, which is really comprehensive. We had two excellent wines and a nice port with dessert. Service was terrific overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavor good..Service SS..Food ColdChefJeffinyourHouseDined on 9/20/2014Our 1st time visiting the Turf Room. Well, after a great start with drinks and an appetizer things did a complete 180 degree turn. After ordering and waiting for 40 minutes was told by our server that a large party was getting all the kitchens attention (that's not our fault) and that our food would be out in a bit. After receiving a visit from the Manager on Duty we received our food. My wife's food was the Smoke on the Water Scallop pasta which she loved, mine was the Meatloaf flight, which was cold so it was sent back..a few minutes later another flight arrived and it too was cold and sent back. The Manager did a great job with handling the situation. Overall time in house: 2 hoursSpecial Features:
- Open Table Promo Actually Worth It!WorldproDined on 9/19/2014The Turf Room was very good. Our server Amanda was excellent. The manager (Eric) was very professional. Overall an excellent dining experience. We had 1 salad, 1 flat bread pizza and 1 order of stuffed mushrooms + cocktails. The salad was average sized but good. The flat bread pizza & stuffed mushrooms were seriously big enough for 4 people and very good. Cocktails are large/excellent. So why only "very good"? The answer is GARLIC. If you love garlic, you'll love The Turf Room. As for me, when I drive all the way to North Aurora for food, I need to make sure that I'm not going to be suffering acid reflux all night. I will likely go back (30+ miles 1 way) but next time I'll bring Tums and see if ANYTHING can be served w/o garlic! $81 w/tip.Special Features:
- Great date night spotAndyfromGenevaDined on 9/19/2014Don't be afraid of the parking lot being full--this is a very big restaurant--much bigger on the inside than on the outside. The fireplace gives a great vibe, although your clothes will small like a campfire when you leave!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!FoodieatheartDined on 9/19/2014The good was amazing, great gnocchi, highly recommend as a place with innovative dishes and great ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor dessertpitifulpineappleDined on 9/15/2014Went for anniversary for parent's 55th. Had to the take part of family back to airport, so not enough time for complimentary dessert offered, so asked which easiest to box up and eat later. Waitress suggested pineapple one. It was pathetic and embarrassing to open up at home. A few triangles of pineapple and not even whole strawberry sliced on it. My father asked what is this?" If we had been served that for $6.95 at table side it would have been returned and complained about. I left message at restaurant with front desk and no one called back. Also, there was so little corned beef on my sandwich it was pitiful. Food/servings greatly deceased since my last visit. Disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CAGIIIDined on 9/14/2014Had another outstanding meal here on a Sunday night with out of town visitors. Service, food, mood, ambiance was perfect and our guests were impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date NightSscp11VIPDined on 9/13/2014The atmosphere is awesome. It's fun and hip. The food is amazing and I highly recommend saving room for the root beer float cookies. Freshly baked, chewy and sinful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always!MikeVIPDined on 9/13/2014Theron is one of the best servers we have come across in a long time!Special Features: