The Turf Room
1033 Kilbery Street
North Aurora, IL 60542Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Turf Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theturfroomrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6309069300
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shawn Hartwig
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Turf Room
The Turf Room offers an American Eclectic menu that changes with each season. Whether in one of our three dining rooms, lounge, wine bar, or track room, you are assured of a great experience. So relax and enjoy the upbeat atmosphere, friendly service, and most of all the unique Gastronomy!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Turf Room reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (83)fit for foodies (80)good for groups (63)great for outdoor dining (63)romantic (63)notable wine list (62)neighborhood gem (57)vibrant bar scene (38)hot spot (37)great for lunch (26)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (10)scenic view (4)Show More
- Great Place!SueILDined on 10/18/2014We went for our wedding anniversary. We have been to this restaurant prior and have always been happy with everything. TherPastas are excellent. I especially like the lobster bisque, calamari, sea bass, and their cocktails are unique and fun! My favorite desert is the goat cheese cake, the best cheese cake I've ever had!:-). You will not be dissapointed at this restaurant, we are going to try the happy hour next time, haven't trued that yet, but menu looks good,Special Features:
- Not Sure What HappenedMikeVIPDined on 10/18/2014We've been to the Turf Room a number of times and have requested a certain server and area to sit in and have never had our request denied. This reservation had the same request but we weren't given the server or dining area we requested. While we understand that not all requests can be honored, it wasn't until we were seated that we knew that our request wouldn't be accommodated. It was interesting to note that the Turf Room was only half full and the server and area we requested was available the whole time we were dining.Special Features:
- NicknameVIPDined on 10/12/2014Very interesting entree and appetizer selections, wonderful food, nice ambience. We were very impressed until dessert. We were disappointed in the dessert selection and what we ordered.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnersir13Dined on 10/11/2014We were pleasantly surprised by this restaurant's selection of drinks and food. Since it does have an off-track betting bar, we thought it might not have a great atmosphere or menu. Everything we ate was superb ! Would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysFranDined on 10/11/2014Although we couldn't get a seat in the Wine Bar room, the Meeting Room turned out to be better, more romantic, more private and quieter. Service was good, food delightful, wine delicious, and the decaf-cappuccinos to end the meal, perfect. I don't eat out very often, and the Turf Room has always proven the right special outing for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding restaurant and bar.SysProgDined on 10/11/2014The service and food are always excellent. The servers are friendly and know the menu (food and drink). I have never had a bad experience at The Turf Room. What is really nice is that on Friday and Saturday nights (I have only gone on a Friday or a Saturday) the chef sends out a small serving of a one-time creation. There is just a bite or two per person (I only go with my wife) and it is almost always very tasty. Sometimes I wish that they would offer some of these creations as an appetizer. The Comfortably Numb martini is outstanding. We've stopped in once or twice just for this drink.Special Features:
- Love the horse themed atmospherelidapinkDined on 10/9/2014I've been here twice and really enjoyed the food both times. They have a nice wine list, though a bit on the high side. And if you love horses, you will love the decor.Special Features:
- awesome dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014Everything from the ambiance, menu, and service was 1st rate. The all around fireplace , delicious martinis, and exceptional cuisine , including a complimentary tasting of a new appetizer from the chef's kitchen, made the night special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- janwenVIPDined on 10/4/2014We always look forward to a meal at The Turf Room. The entire experience was great again. Our martinis were filled to the rim and they don't skimp on quality ingredients. They always bring out small appetizer tastings which are unique and flavorful. The entrees were delicious. My girlfriend ordered the seared tuna and said it was the best dinner that she has had in a long time. We finished with the chocolate torte which was amazing.
- Anniversary dinnerDRxJDined on 10/1/2014Have been to The Turf Room many times and wanted to enjoy another milestone here. Noted on the reservation that it was our 10th anniversary. Showed up a half hour early and the good folks were very accommodating by sitting us within minutes. We both enjoyed the complementary champagne by candle light and a nice dessert as well. The real treat though was the great food and fine service we were provided. The Honolulu tuna was outstanding. My juicy steak was cooked medium rare to perfection. Sides of cauliflower and pre-dinner appetizers were also tremendous. Overall, it was everything we wanted in a celebratory dining experience. Our server Mike was a absolute professional throughout the visit. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OsuezqDined on 9/28/2014First time at The Turf, recommended by friends who we met there. Sat next to a beautiful fire/fireplace, very interesting menu for both food and drink. There is an outdoor patio, dining room and an OTB area, plus a bar. We were in the dining room. All the staff was very friendly, our waiter was knowledgeable about the menu and made great recommendations. Looking forward to my next visit!!Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningDoctorSpongeDined on 9/27/2014We were seated immediately with reservations. The service was exceptional, and the food and drinks easily compete with anything in Chicago. Will defitinitley return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brook8Dined on 9/27/2014The Turf Room is a great place to spend an intimate time with friends outside on the patio by the fire. My wife and I met another couple for dinner prior to going to see a play. We had such a great time with dinner that the play, which was supposed to be the main event, become secondary to the wonderful time that we had at dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelmed, I would not go backandrea123Dined on 9/26/2014The food was a huge disappointment. My husband's fish was undercooked, my salad was underwhelming, the vegetable was swimming in bacon fat and the appetizer was just ok. I wanted to be impressed by the place but sadly was not! I let the waiter talk me out of my first choice which was a filo chicken. When I asked his opinion, he described it as similar to a "hot pocket". The salad he suggested however was boring and uninspired so the "hot pocket" might have been a better choice! They do have a huge wine list but the majority of the wines are very pricey. We settled on a 60 dollar bottle and that was on the cheaper side of their offerings. I found the food boring and ordinary! I wouldn't go back, nor would I recomend it to anyone else.
- Friday night dinnerChrisDined on 9/26/2014We had dinner on Friday at the Turf Room. We were seated promptly and the service was excellent. We sat on the patio and it was our first time. We had to swat away flies on our table for most of dinner. The wine and beer selection is great however the chicken and fish entrees are somewhat limited. The Mac and cheese was a little pricey for the serving size. The lobster bisque was a little light on the lobster. Other than that we had a great evening at the turf roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placerkieckDined on 9/24/2014The food is imaginative, extremely well prepared and well presented. Service is friendly and extremely well informed about both food and the highly regarded wine list. It can be a little loud and the open-pit fireplace could be an issue if you're too close. But overall, a great choice. Also a lively bar scene with the off-track betting facility just steps away on the other side of the bar.Special Features:
- Not disappointed!PalValDined on 9/21/2014Everytime we go to the Turf Room, we say, "best meal yet!" This time did not disappoint. The pork chops were the best we have had anywhere, the gnocchi carbonara were delicious, the pork belly was amazing, and the veggie lasagna was perfect! Our server Frederick was so knowledgeable. Thank you so much for another wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun in Aurora, IL.ModPost1Dined on 9/20/2014We were in Plano to see the Farnsworth House for my birthday and went here for dinner. It is a really busy place, especially on a Saturday night, so be sure to make a reservation. If you want to sit outside, request it in advance. Even though the restaurant is in a shopping mall, parking was actually difficult, so get there in plenty of time! The food and the service were wonderful. My husband had the duck, which he said was some of the best he had ever had. I had one of the Prime Angus steaks, and it was fantastic. The waitress was extremely helpful with the wine list, which is really comprehensive. We had two excellent wines and a nice port with dessert. Service was terrific overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavor good..Service SS..Food ColdChefJeffinyourHouseDined on 9/20/2014Our 1st time visiting the Turf Room. Well, after a great start with drinks and an appetizer things did a complete 180 degree turn. After ordering and waiting for 40 minutes was told by our server that a large party was getting all the kitchens attention (that's not our fault) and that our food would be out in a bit. After receiving a visit from the Manager on Duty we received our food. My wife's food was the Smoke on the Water Scallop pasta which she loved, mine was the Meatloaf flight, which was cold so it was sent back..a few minutes later another flight arrived and it too was cold and sent back. The Manager did a great job with handling the situation. Overall time in house: 2 hoursSpecial Features:
- Open Table Promo Actually Worth It!WorldproDined on 9/19/2014The Turf Room was very good. Our server Amanda was excellent. The manager (Eric) was very professional. Overall an excellent dining experience. We had 1 salad, 1 flat bread pizza and 1 order of stuffed mushrooms + cocktails. The salad was average sized but good. The flat bread pizza & stuffed mushrooms were seriously big enough for 4 people and very good. Cocktails are large/excellent. So why only "very good"? The answer is GARLIC. If you love garlic, you'll love The Turf Room. As for me, when I drive all the way to North Aurora for food, I need to make sure that I'm not going to be suffering acid reflux all night. I will likely go back (30+ miles 1 way) but next time I'll bring Tums and see if ANYTHING can be served w/o garlic! $81 w/tip.Special Features:
- Great date night spotAndyfromGenevaDined on 9/19/2014Don't be afraid of the parking lot being full--this is a very big restaurant--much bigger on the inside than on the outside. The fireplace gives a great vibe, although your clothes will small like a campfire when you leave!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!FoodieatheartDined on 9/19/2014The good was amazing, great gnocchi, highly recommend as a place with innovative dishes and great ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor dessertpitifulpineappleDined on 9/15/2014Went for anniversary for parent's 55th. Had to the take part of family back to airport, so not enough time for complimentary dessert offered, so asked which easiest to box up and eat later. Waitress suggested pineapple one. It was pathetic and embarrassing to open up at home. A few triangles of pineapple and not even whole strawberry sliced on it. My father asked what is this?" If we had been served that for $6.95 at table side it would have been returned and complained about. I left message at restaurant with front desk and no one called back. Also, there was so little corned beef on my sandwich it was pitiful. Food/servings greatly deceased since my last visit. Disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014Had another outstanding meal here on a Sunday night with out of town visitors. Service, food, mood, ambiance was perfect and our guests were impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date NightSscp11Dined on 9/13/2014The atmosphere is awesome. It's fun and hip. The food is amazing and I highly recommend saving room for the root beer float cookies. Freshly baked, chewy and sinful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always!MikeVIPDined on 9/13/2014Theron is one of the best servers we have come across in a long time!Special Features:
- Great service, good foodeatoutDined on 9/13/2014We have eaten here several times for special occasions. The food is very good especially if you like different seafood. We stick with the fish and have not been disappointed. They carry varieties that you don't see anywhere else and cook it to perfection. We always get the calamari appetizer which is always great.Special Features:
- AwesomeDwpLjpVIPDined on 9/12/2014Every dish perfect. Sea bass had a sear on it that was mouth watering, like that light sear on perfectly crisped has browns.
- Great service and food!KaihuiVIPDined on 9/9/2014We went here for my husband's 40th birthday and received excellent service. We ordered the Bone marrow appetizer, it was tasty but way too few of it. The manager heard about our complain and took it off our bill. Our son then didn't like his steak (we were the problem table :)), they changed the order for him without any hesitation. I loved my tuna dish, and my husband enjoyed his short rib very much. Overall an excellent visit!Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014I have to say my husband and I went to your restaurant for our anniversary, it was wonderful. we decided to take our kids back for a birthday dinner for our son and were very disappointed.......the waiter was awful, very unattentive, seemed too busy to take care of us. At one point I timed it and we waited 10 min for refills very disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aurora Area CVBBigMikePDined on 9/4/2014We dined with the Tournament Directors of an EWGA Regional Qualifying Golf Tournament sanctioned by the LPGA. They raved about their dining experience and great service even two days later!Special Features:
- luvditDined on 9/4/2014Food was fabulous, our waiter was personable and knowledgeable about the menu and the specialty drinks.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Our new favorite restaurant in the Western Suburbs! The food, service and drinks were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indulgent Sunday BrunchTravelingHomeCookVIPDined on 8/31/2014Highly recommend the brunch. The options in the hot bar and cold bar were adequate. The omelet station was standard, but very good. The prime rib is prepared perfectly. Options for kids are slightly inadequate. The waffle station is about the same as any hot breakfast waffle in a cheap hotel, but everything else was excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful Placemama2jaDined on 8/30/2014This is our favorite restaurant in the Fox Valley. We go here as often as we can. The food is wonderful! Wine list is great and the special drinks are fun to try. The Hummus trio is our favorite appetizer, but if you get that, you won't be able to eat much food! The fireplaces, both in and outside, are great. What a fun place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always differentOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 8/30/2014A go to place. Many creative and inventive choices. Would like to see more reasonable wine choices but what is available is tasty. My wife had tacos and added an extra and I had duck stroganoff which was a winner. Plenty for kids options also. Great location for us. Thanks Jocelyn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frequent dinersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We come here often and are never disappointed. The food is excellent and there is something new to try all the time. The staff are friendly from the front door to the wait staff. Try to Jambalaya it is fantastic with a little kick!Special Features:
- Good Restaurant!SueILDined on 8/29/2014We took our neighbors out to dinner, we had the bruschetta and scallops for appetizers. Both were good, I like their calamari the best! Three had pasta dishes, side salads, all happy with their meal. I had the lobster bisque, which I love, and a steak (iron) for $25, I was happy with the meat, took half home and warmed it up for the next day, still good! Their drinks are excellent, wine list is excellent. We did not get deserts, but I'm sure they are very good too! Very happy to have this restaurant near our home, Chicago and Naperville quality without having to go the distance!Special Features:
- Varied MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/29/2014The Turf Room offers bar food with a twist. There were several selections that were interesting and I would return to try them. It is a noisy place, however. I would not go there with a group as it would be hard to converse. The service was slow, we definitely got the impression that our order had not been placed as tables seated around, and after us, received their food before we did. We were offered no explanation or apology.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatrichELLENVIPDined on 8/23/2014First class restaurant with great food. Never disappointed, we dine here on a regular basis and love it each time we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.