The Tulip Bistro + Bar
355 Romany Rd
Lexington, KY 40502Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Tulip Bistro + Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thetulipbistroandbar.com/
- Phone: 8593676687x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday:4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Spencer van den Dool
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer set menu's for large parties to suit any needs you may have. Contact Shawn Deakins to set an appointment.
- Private Party Contact: Shawn Deakins 8593676687x
A word from The Tulip Bistro + Bar
The Tulip Bistro + Bar is a small treasure in the Chevy Chase Neighborhood. Chef Spencer van den Dool has worked in fantastic local restaurants such as Pacific Pearl and Emmett"s before going to Holland and working at a 2 michelin star restaurant called De Kastanjehof, where he fine tuned his French-American cuisine. The menu offers such things as Mussels, Fish and Chips to Curried Seafood & Short Ribs. There is something for everyone! Our wine list covers most of the world, while our martini list features old and new favorites, such as Tulip Margatini, Blue Goose and The Grand Cosmo.The Tulip will impress you and have you making a reservation for your next visit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Tulip Bistro + Bar - Best Restaurants in Lexington ›
The Tulip Bistro + Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (46)fit for foodies (35)great for outdoor dining (28)special occasion (24)romantic (20)notable wine list (13)good for groups (13)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (9)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Food was just okay.lpd1234Dined on 9/6/2014Based on the menu selection (and the price) I had high hopes for delicious food. We were somewhat disappointed. Nothing was "bad" by any means, but it wasn't that great either. The highlight for me was the She-Crab soup, which is my favorite type of soup and was very good. My entree, however, left me disappointed. I had the short ribs, and if it wasn't for the bone staring back at me, I would have believed I was eating a simple pot roast. Our waitress wasn't that great either. She left us with the impression that the people at the table next to us were much more important to her simply based on the number of times she stopped at our table compared to theirs. I will admit that they were dressed nicer than us. Would we go back? Probably not.Special Features:
- Very noisyVictoriaDined on 9/3/2014I have been to the Tulip before and really enjoyed it. However, this visit was not enjoyable. There were a lot of people in the bar area and they were loud that my friend and I could not hear each other. We each had hamburgers. I ordered mine "medium." It arrived well done and it was extremely salty. It was not an enjoyable dinner but I will give The Tulip another chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellent food and serviceMountainValleyVIPDined on 8/30/2014We have been here 5-6 times in the past year, and it is always wonderful. The food is excellent, and the service is professional. Great menu for small bites or unique dinners.Special Features:
- Pretty close to spectacular....RevWillDined on 8/29/2014My experience was very pleasant. This was a date night for me, and we were well taken care of. The food and the service was top notch, and my date and I enjoyed everything that found its way to our table. The appearance of the restaurant is lovely. The Tulip was a bit noisy later on, however. And that was a little distracting at times. I'm not sure what can be done about that, but that was the only unsatisfactory factor of my visit. Overall, compliments to the owner, chef, and staff. My date and I had a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Loved the food and atmosphere. Only complaint was noise level, felt like we had to scream to hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terence collierclarenceDined on 8/23/2014Superior food and service outweigh the high noise level and rather heavy decor. The yellowfin tuna was as good as you would find anywhere. Food arrived promptly and was attractively presented. Wait-staff were very professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good. Potential for greatCameronsReviewsDined on 8/23/2014The menu is diverse enough. Personally, I'd like to see more seafood options. I like the creativity with the dishes. I had the polenta with chicken. Good idea but the polenta was DRY-needed less cooking as well as a sauce. The dish was served with broccolini, one of my faves, but it was overcooked. Liked my wine. Our guests enjoyed their meal of seared tuna and salmon.Special Features:
- Love the food. Hate the noiseLexdinerVIPDined on 8/23/2014We have enjoyed Tulip a number of times & the food NEVER disappoints. Have sampled many of the delicious appetizers. Amazing salads & entrees. On this occasion, we tasted short ribs, filet mignon, salmon with jalapeño grits, and tuna. The chocolate & vanilla creme brûlée was delightful. Cocktails are refreshing & light. Unfortunately, you should avoid weekends or go alone because the noise prohibits conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food, but...NancyDined on 8/14/2014We went to The Tulip for a special dinner with friends. I'd been there once before, and the food had been amazing and the ambiance lovely. This time, though, whereas the food was still amazing, the restaurant was so busy and noisy, we could hardly hear each other talk. Plus, the service was slow beyond belief. The manager did comp the appetizers without our asking, which we appreciated. And I really can't say enough about how wonderful the food was. But I'll think twice before going there again because of what I would call an unpleasant atmosphere. Maybe go mid-week and early evening instead of 7:30 on a Thursday. (Who knows what Friday and Saturday would be like!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always elcellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2014This food is very creative and different and flavor filled. The staff is patient and allows for dinner talk and time. What more can I ask for? Great place!Special Features:
- EXCEPTIONALLY GREAT!foodieatheartDined on 8/1/2014I am new to the Lexington, KY area, and I was looking for a 5 star restaurant to bring my in-laws to for dinner. I am SO GLAD I found The Tulip Bistro and Bar! Everything was exceptionally GREAT! The food, quality, service, location, and overall experience at this restaurant really was a 5 star restaurant experience! Thank you to the staff at The Tulip Bistro and Bar you really impressed my in-laws, husband, and myself from the minute we walked in to leaving! THANK YOU!Special Features:
- MaryDined on 7/30/2014Very,very loud and very,very slow service and very expensive. Food was ok but nothing special.
- Loved every bite!LexdinerVIPDined on 7/26/2014Grilled shrimp & mahi taco appetizers. Ahi tuna over edamame,corn, tomato ragout. Nutella cookie for dessert. Top it off with a refreshing Collins from the bar. Already planning a return visit this week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2014Everything we had to eat was good. The sausage appetizer, the shrimp and grits and the creme brulee were all very good.Special Features:
- WonderfulFeFeLaPloomDined on 7/21/2014Like one it was The Black Tulip in Midway...it is an outstanding place. Dinning at it's best. Love the location too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food poor serviceKAH1Dined on 7/12/2014Food was excellent but our waitress lost us after the appetizersSpecial Features:
- 7/11/2014 Tulip ExperienceWinluv2dineDined on 7/11/2014On 7/11/2014, my date and I dined at the Tulip for the first time. What a great evening!!! I made a reservation on line, but expressed the desire to dine outside if possible. We arrived early and informed the staff of our desire to dine outside on the patio. We were able to be seated outside after a short wait, our waitress provided excellent service & the food was outstanding, also the mild weather help make this an absolutely the perfect dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/5/2014The bar had a crowd who were incredibly noisy, so it was hard to talk over dinner. The oystrers Rockefellar aren't, but edible. The outside patio would be nice but lots of evening sun. Service was good.Special Features:
- Great findFoodiewannabe123Dined on 7/2/2014The Tulip has a great atmosphere. The food was really good. A short concise menu with great daily specials. Service was a little slow. The place doesn't look like much from the outside but it is beautiful on the inside. Lots of drink choices from cocktails to wines. Will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LexDinerDined on 6/23/2014A great place to celebrate our wedding anniversary - romantic table for 2, great service, great food. Short ribs were wonderful and recommended by our waiter. Will go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well servedFrugalButNotStingyDined on 6/21/2014Great food, well presented. We split the 8oz filet mignon and it was cooked just to our specifications. The $4 split fee assured we got regular size sides. The server was very attentive and helpful with suggestions. when we split the meal as has happened in some other nice restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed! Delicious!KlockDined on 6/21/2014This is one of our all-time favorites in Lexington. We are never disappointed when trying new dishes or the specials. Their fillet mignon is absolutely perfect, as well as the Caesar salad. I would highly recommend this restaurant to any locals or if having friends coming from out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2014Extremely poor service. Took 40 mins to get first round of drinks. Food was excellent however, entrees were brought out halfway through apps. Instead of recognizing and fixing their error, the server and staff just asked us to help them clear bread/empty plates to make room. I was with in-laws and didn't want to make a scene but the service was absolutely appalling.
- Great DinnerTRBBDined on 6/13/2014Great Dinner with friends. Also saw lots of people we knew.Special Features:
- Wonderfuly WildGabrielnMelodyDined on 6/7/2014The menu is a playground of flavor. It was very hard making a decision on what to eat because everything looked, smelled, and sounded delicious. So we ordered numerous items including steak, pasta, salmon, oysters, crab dip, and wine. It was all amazing. So happy we decided to spend our anniversary there. Worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!JackoVIPDined on 6/6/2014We love that the Tulip is so close to our home. The mussels are always wonderful (ask for more bread for the sauce--mmmmm) and the filet was cooked perfectly. The Tulip is a must if you haven't tried it.Special Features:
- poor experiencebelle1Dined on 5/24/2014We dine at Tulip regularly and enjoy the food and usually the entire experience. Our female server was absolutely horrible with a bad attitude included. It took 15 mins to get a glass of wine. She told us the bartender was very busy with a large party. I spoke to the manager and he said they were not busy (which was apparent) and the "large party" was one of 7. It took so long after for order to receive dinner, that I cancelled my order. When we received the bill, my dinner was included. The manager said he wanted to make it up to us. How did he do this? He didn't. The manager has always been a nice guy, but he nothing to reprimand the server or bartender and did nothing to make our experience acceptable. "
- The following 233 reviews are from the The Tulip Bistro + Bar reviews archive.
- Good seafood for LexingtonHoopDined on 5/15/2014Nice place but the acustics are bad. Very loud and hard to hear. The food was very good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tulip DinnerJJjjDined on 5/13/2014The food was very good the waitress was not as knowledgeable as the waiter I had the last tme I was there.Special Features:
- DinnerTaurusCoupleDined on 5/8/2014I was treated to birthday dinner recently. Drinks, were outstanding. However, the bloody mary could have used a stalk of celery and maybe another garnishment. We enjoyed oysters on the half-shell and fried oysters were cooked to perfection. We had early evening reservation and noise level began to pick up as tables began to fill. I could see where it would be difficult at times to converse with table mates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Lex3kingsdineVIPDined on 5/8/2014Great service( Newton)..fantastic meal.... Chargrilled oysters , crab dip, shrimp & grits ~grits were spicy & creamy-delicious!! Shorts ribs are also a must. Staff and Mgr. are always helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good menuMikeVIPDined on 5/8/2014The menu was varied and each of us had something very different. All dishes were very good. Sauces complimented the foods nicely. Drink service was slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tulip barMgmorenDined on 5/8/2014Went on a Thursday evening for an early Mother's Day dinner. Oysters Rockefeller was a great appetizer. She crab soup bowl was almost a meal in and of itself. I had the prosciutto wrapped shrimp and my wife had the chicken dinner. Everything was great. It got a little busy after we ordered so service slowed a little but my beer never ran out! All in all a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 5/6/2014Everyone enjoyed their meal. All five of us could have a conversation. Close to home for all of us!Special Features:
- luvtodineDined on 4/25/2014Good food, great service. Noise level very high, especially near the bar area. When requested different table because we were next to the bar and could not hear one another (there were several tables available), the hostess became quite annoyed that she had to move us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place !Foodlover22Dined on 4/24/2014Great food, service, and fun !!! The chefs specials are delicious as well as menu items !! Will return.... many times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Understaffed?IKnowIDontKnowDined on 4/23/2014I believe my experience at Tulip could have been great, but the execution just wasn't there. From the moment we walked in the door, every part of the experience seemed to be in slow motion. We waited at least 5 minutes to be seated, another 5 or so minutes before we saw our server, and so on. Our server was nice and the drinks were great, but I found every other part of the experience lacking. I had the filet which probably would have been great if it didn't seem to be sitting under a heat lamp for a while before it got to me. My lady had the salmon and did have nice things to say about it. Unless I'm looking for a solid Manhattan, I think I will be going elsewhere in the future.
- Consensus - Best steakOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/12/2014The service was pleasant and attentive but slow. The noise level inside was loud even as the evening went on and the restaurant emptied. The food was very good. The wine list decent. The highlight of the evening was the filet - medium rare - outstanding!Special Features:
- neighborhood spotMarionDined on 4/11/2014We frequent The Tulip often. We live in the neighborhood and it is a great place for great food.Special Features:
- Fantastic Friday!Sybarite25VIPDined on 4/11/2014We dine at this establishment six times per year. Sometimes one element of excellence is missing (service, cocktail, food, etc.). On this night everything hit the mark and combined to ensure a most stellar experience. Of particular note were the fantastic oysters, delicious cocktails, sumptuous salad and thoughtful, attentive service. Were every visit like this experience we would scarcely go elsewhere for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.