330 East Amado Road
Palm Springs, CA 92262Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thetropicale.com/
- Phone: 7608661952x
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday and Sunday Patio Brunch: 11:am to 4:pm; Daily Happy Hour (Bar and Lounge) 4:pm-7:pm, All night long Happy Hour (Bar and Lounge) Wednesday night; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5pm to 10pm, Friday & Saturday 5pm to 11pm. On Sundays nights we offer our dinner menu and also feature the best Sushi in town.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tony Di Lembo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Order wonderful Tropicale creations for any occasion. Call, place an order and we will have it ready for pick up. If you'd like to bring in your own special platters we can plate your choice of food and have them ready whenever you'd like.
- Private Party Facilities: Our wonderful patio can be rented out for private functions.
- Private Party Contact: Ranz Wienert 3238239632x
- Entertainment: Every Tuesday and Thursday starting at 5:30, it's renowned jazz musician Derrik Lewis and his trio at the keyboard.
- Special Events: Open 365 days a year. Holiday special menus offered. Please call the restaurant to inquire.
A word from The Tropicale
A chic and sophisticated décor provides the setting for our distinctive "world cuisine", a provocative mix of zesty influences that creates a delightful dining experience in Palm Springs, California. Plush high-backed semicircular banquettes surround our dining room and offer comfortable and private seating. The cuisine has a light, exotic feel with an emphasis on Pacific Rim specialties, from Chilean Sea Bass baked in Banana Leaves or Kahlua-Barbecued Pork Chops to all sorts of tasty tapas, salads, wood-fired pizzas, and desserts. The Coral Seas Lounge, a hip mid-century style bar is lined with sexy black leather bar-stools and is reminiscent of the upbeat lounges of old Palm Springs. It wraps around the dining room and leads outside to a lush, tropical, 2000 square foot dining patio where a variety of specialty cocktails and old-school favorites are mixed - an ideal place where friends gather and martinis are sipped under the starlit desert sky.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Tropicale - Best Restaurants in Palm Springs ›
The Tropicale reviews from OpenTable diners
285 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (215)vibrant bar scene (174)hot spot (157)special occasion (149)neighborhood gem (133)fit for foodies (132)good for groups (113)romantic (93)great for brunch (78)late-night find (38)great for lunch (24)notable wine list (20)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Amazing DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014Tropicale is the go to for consistent food, drinks and great serviceSpecial Features:
- nice place with great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014went for my birthday, everything was great the food the prices and atmosphere but we lucked out on a nice waiter. Seemed so fake, would smile and then make a face when when walking away. Didn't seem to interested, irritated or tired but everyone else was very nice and helpful. There is a bar/ club next door also very nice and fun you should check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best so far...WonderfulfunDined on 10/17/2014Palm Springs gem. Great food, atmosphere and service. (Mike Smith our waiter was wonderful) Crab salad, tuna tartar, fried chicken, calamari, pork chop were off the chart. Fabulous overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Why do es open table ask if you are celebrating and the restaurant doesn't acknowledge it? We wrote that we were celebrating an anniversary. Service was very slow and we had to ask for things multiple times. Won't be back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Favorite Restaurant in Palm BeachOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014The Tropicale has a great 1950's vibe to it. Very nice atmosphere both indoors and out. Food and drinks are excellent. Don't forget the daily happy hour from 4-7. Everyone comes here to have great food, drink and be with friends. You can feel it as soon as you enter.Special Features:
- Always a great experienceRickyBVIPDined on 10/16/2014Been here numerous times. Excellent - and strong - drinks. Food consistently terrific. Our wait, Sean, was attentive and always available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Double birthdays AND Derrik Lewis!JbtixmanDined on 10/14/2014Went there to celebrate two friends' birthdays, had a wonderful time and meal, plus we got to hear the Derrik Lewis duo on that Tuesday eve. A great place to celebrate with friends or for just a nice meal alone. It works for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing over priced foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/14/2014We order $40 steak and $30 shrimp entres. We we very disappointed. Very salty and unimpressive if you are a foody.Special Features:
- Very Fun PlaceSaltlyVIPDined on 10/11/2014It is our 1st time in Palm Springs and I felt we really lucked out by booking dinner at Tropicale. We are seniors and usually like quiet good food restaurants, but we were on vacation. It was fun watching the lively dinners and the energy in the bar. We sat outside at a lovely table and had great food. It was by far the best food we had in our short stay in Palm Springs and it is a beautiful setting. And good service as well... Yes, even at 75 we would go again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Wonderful experience! Will definitely be back. The Fiery Dragon Martini was amazing!!!Special Features:
- Excellent dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014I had the double pork chop which was delicious. I also had the onion tower which was excellent. The service was perfect. A very lovey dinner.Special Features:
- A Good RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/8/2014Business associates, first timers, thought very highly of the service and the quality of the food. Beautiful space with good size booths and tables. Very much enjoyed the restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun evening out!MalMDined on 10/5/2014Recommended by locals, this was our favorite dining experience in the week we stayed in Palm Springs. Good food, fabulous patio on a lovely night. Festive atmosphere, but not noisy. Our server, Tammy! The best!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent like always ...williegDined on 10/5/2014Never been disappointed. Request always granted...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SherryDined on 10/3/2014Always a favorite - fabulous fun food - love the appetizer samplerSpecial Features:
- Great RestaurantWallyTSDined on 10/3/2014This restaurant consistently delivers excellent food, top notch service, in a very liveable decor, all at a decent price. The owners should be justly proud of The Tropicale.Special Features:
- fun festive spot.yumyum12Dined on 10/3/2014Ive been here a few times and it's fun with a tropical theme, hence the name. i would only caution the portions are very large so it's easy to over order and waste. I want to like the drinks here since it's so festive but so far, I'm always disappointed. they are sweet and i wish there were more natural ingredients so they were not as syrupy. it's a bit expensive but i don't mind that if I'm going to a touristy spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always awesome !JoeymamaDined on 10/2/2014The patio is always lively, fun with great ambience. The indoor setting is great for dinner party of 2.Special Features:
- Island Atmosphere in the DesertOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014The best thing about this restaurant, apart from the very good menu, is the atmosphere. For a feeling of the tropics, request a patio table. You could easily be convinced you were dining in the islands.Special Features:
- Great Place For Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014The Tropicale had outstanding food. The meat ordered was tender and super tasty, such as the Pupu Plate. I recommend this place as a romantic dinner. Inside and outside dinning is nice; however, tables outside are very close together. It seems a very popular place!Special Features:
- always great!!xxxxxVIPDined on 9/27/2014another perfect evening...nothing more to add except thank you!!!Special Features:
- Great local findsAnnADined on 9/26/2014We were a group of 7 ladies who enjoyed the variety of food options that were all SO well done! Great ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- staff is what really makes italanbillVIPDined on 9/26/2014From the hostesses to the bar tenders and servers, all make this an enjoyable experience. Although they handle a high volume of customers, it is a well oiled machine, while staff still take the time to have fun with you and provide personalized service.Special Features:
- Suprisingly Fresh LoungedoubledocDined on 9/26/2014We were searching for a nice restaurant within walking distance of our hotel and found The Tropicale hiding in an off street, not obviously marked as a hotspot. We were pleasantly surprised by the ambiance and great drink menu. The food although good, wasn't excellent, with the Monkfish tough and overcooked, and the catfish appetizer tasting very "fishy". However, the bread was warm and fresh and the appetizers, including the lamb meatballs and coconut shrimp were good. Overall a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Poor Food1GrumpybearDined on 9/24/2014I took three friends to dinner here. The waiter was excellent. The prices seemed a little on the high side. One friend had to return his fried chicken as it was still raw in the center. I had the spaghetti with meatballs. The meatballs were very tough and the pasta poorly prepared. Strands of the pasta were stuck together where it had not been stirred properly when put into boiling water. One friend had the Thai chicken breast and his meal was fine. The third friend had Mulligatawny soup and it was over-spiced. Tropicale is extremely noisy. I would not go back again nor would I recommend it to friends. A category of other needs to be added above if you did not care for the restaurant at all.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchphileeDined on 9/21/2014Last Sunday 4 of us went for brunch. The service was exellent. Food outstanding. I had the soft shell Crab Po Boy. It's so hard to find Soft Shell Crabs in the desert. It was fantastic! My husband had the charbroiled burger. He said it was the best he has ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite brunch spotsNodaybut2dayDined on 9/21/2014Mike was our server and he was amazing. We were seated immediately they accommodated our seating request. Food was great and everyone we came into contact with were friendly. We have also had great dinners there and love people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Backed up kitchen Slow serviceHMQSGBDined on 9/20/2014Dined here many times but not and never on a Saturday All dining areas were in use and servers seemedd a little thin on the ground Simple apps - prawn cocktail and ahi tuna roll took 25mins to arrive, further 20+ mins before 2 Cobb salads came Md apologised and admitted the kitchen was backed up due to being overly busy - NOT OUR PROBLEM Price of 2glasses of wine deducted from the bill for the inconvenience Not the place for couples when it's busy hence, hit and miss service Bigger parties seemed to get better service (bigger tip??) Mid early week much quieter Back up water,bread and clean up staff are outstanding We like tropicale and will be back when next in town, but not over a weekend!Special Features:
- Great nightJo619Dined on 9/20/2014I wanted something special for my mother's 65th birthday but i also wasnt looking for a quiet and super sophisticated, fancy dining because I had a 14month old with us also. The Tropicale met beyond our expectations. We arrived 15minutes early and they sat us right away, with the highchair ready (A++). Everyone was kind and the service was really good! The restaurant itself was phenomenal, great lighting and awesome food! At first I thought its too fancy for my kid but its loud and energetic enough to where they can't hear her scream:) Definitely made our restaurant lists!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time Visit Won't Be The LastCannonCanAmDined on 9/19/2014We had such a great time. Our sever, Ryan, was excellent. Really made us feel welcome. And the food was excellent. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uninspired foodNummypartyDined on 9/18/2014The food here is lacking in flavor. $16.00 for an insipid Caesar salad is simply depressing. The Manhattans are delicious, though!Special Features:
- Reliable food and serviceScottGDined on 9/18/2014Among my favorite local eateries. Tropicale can be counted on to deliver good food and service consistently.Special Features:
- Great foodpalmspringssteve67275Dined on 9/15/2014I love the menu here. Something for everyone! Can be a little pricey, but delicious. There are lots of less costly options as well.Special Features:
- jgs17Dined on 9/15/2014really glad we found this place while visiting Palm Springs! Went there for happy hour - liked it so much we came back the next night for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodNolandVIPDined on 9/14/2014I enjoy Tropical, very much. This time was very much the same good food, good service and good energy. I can always count on it being a hit with out of town guests.Special Features:
- Great Patio!JDSRPMVIPDined on 9/13/2014Good food! Nice Patio! Great Ambiance for Palm Springs! Lively and Fun! The Fans and Misters Make the Patio Perfectly Comfortable...even at 110 Degrees!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS GOODRMEDVIPDined on 9/13/2014We took visitors from No. Carolina and they had a wonderful experience (food, ambiance, service). We can always count on Tropicale to make our visitors welcome and go home singing the praises of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Our "go to" place butJvdpdxVIPDined on 9/12/2014Tropicale is our "go to" place when we want a good meal. The service is great and the food is good. Focus on the specials list in particular. The wine list is the one area that could use help. Like many restaurants they charge 2 or 3 times retail for a bottle. And their wines by the glass can cost as nearly as much as the entire bottle costs retail. And I wished they participated in Wine Vault's local program, which waives the corkage fee, for members. So when the time comes to take enjoy a great bottle of wine we head to Trio. Nonetheless Tropicale's ambience is terrific and we always have a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect...again!xxxxxVIPDined on 9/7/2014Took a great friend to our favorite place...and all was wonderful...again!!! Loved our food (rainbow sushi, fried chicken and Thai chicken) with great Cosmo's and perfect service from Jose...could not ask for more!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Brunch in Palm SpringspsguyVIPDined on 9/7/2014Tropicale is my favorite brunch spot in Palm Springs. The food and service are both consistently very good. This time we had the shrimp tacos and the BLT on sourdough -- two of our favorites from the menu. We are definitely looking forward to the weather cooling down and we will eat outside on the large patio area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.