330 East Amado Road
Palm Springs, CA 92262Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thetropicale.com/
- Phone: 7608661952x
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday and Sunday Patio Brunch: 11:am to 4:pm; Daily Happy Hour (Bar and Lounge) 4:pm-7:pm, All night long Happy Hour (Bar and Lounge) Wednesday night; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5pm to 10pm, Friday & Saturday 5pm to 11pm. On Sundays nights we offer our dinner menu and also feature the best Sushi in town.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tony Di Lembo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Order wonderful Tropicale creations for any occasion. Call, place an order and we will have it ready for pick up. If you'd like to bring in your own special platters we can plate your choice of food and have them ready whenever you'd like.
- Private Party Facilities: Our wonderful patio can be rented out for private functions.
- Private Party Contact: Ranz Wienert 3238239632x
- Entertainment: Every Tuesday and Thursday starting at 5:30, it's renowned jazz musician Derrik Lewis and his trio at the keyboard.
- Special Events: Open 365 days a year. Holiday special menus offered. Please call the restaurant to inquire.
A word from The Tropicale
A chic and sophisticated décor provides the setting for our distinctive "world cuisine", a provocative mix of zesty influences that creates a delightful dining experience in Palm Springs, California. Plush high-backed semicircular banquettes surround our dining room and offer comfortable and private seating. The cuisine has a light, exotic feel with an emphasis on Pacific Rim specialties, from Chilean Sea Bass baked in Banana Leaves or Kahlua-Barbecued Pork Chops to all sorts of tasty tapas, salads, wood-fired pizzas, and desserts. The Coral Seas Lounge, a hip mid-century style bar is lined with sexy black leather bar-stools and is reminiscent of the upbeat lounges of old Palm Springs. It wraps around the dining room and leads outside to a lush, tropical, 2000 square foot dining patio where a variety of specialty cocktails and old-school favorites are mixed - an ideal place where friends gather and martinis are sipped under the starlit desert sky.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Tropicale - Best Restaurants in Palm Springs ›
The Tropicale reviews from OpenTable diners
310 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (230)vibrant bar scene (188)hot spot (158)special occasion (158)neighborhood gem (144)fit for foodies (130)good for groups (114)romantic (111)great for brunch (88)late-night find (42)great for lunch (38)notable wine list (23)scenic view (16)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Best hamburger I have hadMaggieVIPDined on 8/31/2014Four of us recently had lunch/brunch at Tropicale...loved it. I had the brisket burger with Brie...OMG, it was fabulous. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014We both ordered off the special menu and the choice we made was excellent. Lobster potatoes were the bomb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!!xxxxxVIPDined on 8/29/2014Another wonderful evening...this time with a friend...all went beautifully and we had a great time with food, beverage and outdoor conversations...feel at home...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Birthday !BrianJDined on 8/28/2014My boyfriend took me here (my choice) for my birthday. The Filet mignon was melt-in-your-mouth. The cocktails were great. and the wait staff were glad to be there. We talked about the great night to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveBooth40Dined on 8/28/2014We love Tropicale's atmosphere, its decor, comfortable booths its ever changing menu and a great selection of cocktails. The ever presence of owners, Tony and Brandt, assures a quality experience in every respect.Special Features:
- WSMBDined on 8/27/2014Great setting and food. Portions should be reduced in size and priced a bit lower.Special Features:
- Special, Special, Special!jacobsrdjrVIPDined on 8/23/2014The Vietnamese inspired Specials Menu was interesting. I tried the Flattened Korabuta Pork Chop with Kamport Green Peppercorn Sauce - the Vietnamese Banana Flower Salad was AMAZING!!!! This salad should be served as an entree in a very large bowl.Special Features:
- Very good, but usually betterRickyBVIPDined on 8/22/2014Went about two weeks ago and ordered the incredibly juicy, tender BONELESS Thai-style chicken that is on the regular menu. Couldn't wait to order it again. When it came to the table, it - very obviously - had a chicken leg bone sticking up. "I thought it was supposed to be boneless?" I asked. The response was, "Yes it is boneless." Hmmmm. The chicken was dry, tough and overcooked. I still ate it, of course...it was "good." Maybe this was just a case of a different chef? Or too many people for the kitchen to cope that night? It won't stop me from returning, it's really a great restaurant. Glad it wasn't my first time or I would have been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always,Fabulous!!BogartDined on 8/22/2014We took our friend there for dinner and they fell in love with the food and ambience. We live in the desert full time and Tropicale has to be one of the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay ExperienceHoneyEatsDined on 8/21/2014I frequent Tropicale, and have always had a good experience. This time the experience was fine (server was great), but the food missed. The Brown Sugar brine Pork Chop was extremely dry. Almost couldn't eat it. I was with a friend who was paying, otherwise I would have sent it back. Flavor was fine, just tough to cut. (Suggestion: maybe tenderize it and soak it in whole milk before cooking)Special Features:
- Excellent Service and MemorableOCTravelerDined on 8/17/2014My BF and I chose this restaurant for our first date. We just returned for our 1 year Anniversary because we enjoy everything about this restaurant. The simple Dirty Martini is great, appetizers wonderful, main course and desserts are always PERFECTION. Service is always Outstanding! Keep doing what you're doing, Tropicale Team!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Dinner!markVIPDined on 8/17/2014We heard that this place was good, so we tried it. Dinner was VERY good. Lots of interesting options. Great recommendations from our server. Unique and tasty cocktails. The crab wedge salad was "lick the plate" good. The salmon rice bowl was outstanding. The fried chicken was good. It was a bit pricey, but we will likely return!Special Features:
- HAD A FANTASTIC BIRTHDAY DINNERPSkloppenDined on 8/17/2014I planned a birthday dinner for 6 guests on a Sunday at 6:00pm. None of us had ever been to Tropical before so we did not know what to expect. What a fantastic surprise! We arrived 30 minutes early and found the patio bar. The bartender could not have been nicer and mixed us all incredible cocktails. We had a table reserved inside and had the most enjoyable dinner experience ever! Our waiter was so friendly and kind, our table was great, and the food was the best. We all seemed to order something different and each item was just incredible. The finale was when our waiter brought out a surprise birthday cake to the table. Just the perfect evening at a perfect restaurant. We can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch, indoors or outDisappointedVIPDined on 8/17/2014A great selection of menu items and a wonderfully attentive waiter. One of our favorite places for brunch.Special Features:
- As good as it gets for Palm SpringsPowerfadeDined on 8/16/2014A delightful menu... always the freshest veggies and excellent tasting entrees...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday celebrationPumpkinpuss1Dined on 8/16/2014Grate food & service. What more can you ask for. One of my favorite places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tropicale is funRavesVIPDined on 8/15/2014Don't expect amazing food -- it's good not great. But the atmosphere, service and bar are lots of fun. The patio is a great dining spotSpecial Features:
- Overall a Very Good DinnerpsguyVIPDined on 8/13/2014We had a very good dinner for four. The menu is always exciting and changes often. I had the Asian-style jumbo scallops and they were prepared perfect. My tablemates had the filet mignon and Cuban-style pork chops and they thoroughly enjoyed them. The restaurant is always busy even in August. It's one of our favorites and I always recommend it to friends and clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperiencegoodtogoDined on 8/11/2014Good food and good service. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/8/2014thought the summer menu was too limited in choices some of the best dishes are gone hope they return in the cal or it might not be a place I'd return
- A FAVORITERMEDVIPDined on 8/7/2014Tropical always delivers for us. We had a French friend visiting (he lives in Miami Beach) and he just loved the place - great waiter, great food - fun sitting outside.Special Features:
- made our anniversary so so speciallollyDined on 8/7/2014we went for our 1st anniversary on 8/7 and had a great time. the food was good, the drinks great and the service special. i would like to thank tammy at tropical our waitress, who was really good at making sure we had a good time. i recommend tropical to everyone who visits palm springs or who live here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tropicale Never DisappointsDaduwaDined on 8/6/2014Great food, great service, great atmosphere. Never disappoints.Special Features:
- Another great evening!!xxxxxVIPDined on 8/1/2014This time a special evening with family...all wonderful...again...just the only place to go for the times that mean so much...thanks to all...Special Features:
- Excellent like alwayswilliegDined on 7/31/2014Excellent. Changed my reservation time the last minute and I was accomodated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentRickyBVIPDined on 7/31/2014Did something change? We go to Tropicale frequently and always rate it "excellent." Don't know what happened, but this time it was really "better than excellent." We brought friends from out of town. They can't wait to return. The food was beautifully presented and the flavors were incredible. This is definitely a "go-to" restaurant for anyone coming to Palm Springs for the first time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/31/2014I don't recall but she was charming, gracious and professional. She was even sweet enough to sit and chat with us for a couple of minutes. Sometimes when we come there, it's like seeing old friends with the wait staff. We come often and never have had an unpleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantistic Summer SupperTheGourmetPainterDined on 7/29/2014We decided that we needed some place to go that would get us out of the summer heat, we found the perfect spot. The ambience was wonderful, the music was fantastic and the food was superb--great summer dishes--try Mrs Wong's Chicken Salad. GreatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!!xxxxxVIPDined on 7/27/2014Always accommodating and great for times with friends and family...NEVER disappointed in ANY way...great food, service and atmosphere - inside or out!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd go backBIRTHMARCDined on 7/26/2014Even on a busy Saturday night, we were accomodated with pushing our reservation back 30 minutes (at the last minute), without any hastle from the reservationist. This place is a well oiled machine; from prompt seating, to order placement, to food fulfillment. Portion sizes are good. I got the Salmon, which was a nice size and perfectly cooked (if not a little over-salted). The crowd was mixed. Quite a good gay turnout, in groups both large and small. The table next to us was one of a bachelorette party (a bit roudy). Overall -- good. If go back, for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New chef??PSweekenderDined on 7/26/2014I have to say, I've always been a fan of Tropicale, but lately it seems to be going through a rough patch in the kitchen. The fried chicken salad was my favorite thing to order off the menu because it was so damn delicious - the fried chicken was crispy, hearty with a lil' bit of kick that made the combination with the mixed chopped greens and veggies so good. Obviously not healthy by any means, but the plate was an indulgent treat for our weekend getaways. The last three visits have proved to be a bit disappointing with a change in the salad - the chicken is smaller (only two instead of three pieces) and greasy without any flavoring in the batter. The chopped greens have been replaced by leafy mixed that also seems to be smaller.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this place!CaloriDined on 7/20/2014Hello Sunday Sushi day!!! Of course the perfect choice for dinner with my sushi-loving daughter. Great indoor and outdoor ambiance. A classic Palm Springs eatery. Though we only sampled the sushi, everything else we saw served looked awesome! We will def put this in the regular rotation and be sure to bring our guests to Palm Springs here too.Special Features:
- Fun experience!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014The service and ambience of the Tropical was FANTASTIC!!!!! We were so impressed with our drinks and the sushi we ordered we could not stop talking about it for the next day. The Tropical was more than accommodating and we can't wait to dine there again. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service, funJeffDined on 7/20/2014We had a party of four for dinner. Two selected their boneless fried chicken which our friends absolutely loved. I tried the sushi which was fresh, colorful and delicious. I would order the sushi again! Awesome. Another patron had a steak which they truly enjoyed. Everything was cooked to perfection. It was very hot outside, so we opted for indoor seating. The ambiance was relaxing, private and subdued. It was the perfect choice for a warm evening. The cocktails were normal fare, but arrived to surprise! We even ended up passing them around for taste testing they looked so fun to share. Our server was very attentive however not overly so by any means. We all agreed that we will make this a regular haunt on our list of favorites.Special Features:
- Always GoodAnderkinsVIPDined on 7/20/2014One of our regular "go-to's" in Palm Springs. Consistently good. We had brunch for 12. Great day!Special Features:
- TammtOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2014Great server - tammy. She was fun and personable and got our order just rightI would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Palm Springs retreatWeHoChrisDined on 7/19/2014Tropicale is always enjoyable. The food is good, the scene is fun, and the patio is the best in the area. Never a bad experience. Any trip to Palm Springs is incomplete without an evening at Tropicale!Special Features:
- Fun atmosphere, good food.TTTTTTomDined on 7/19/2014This was the first time we ate at Tropicale. We heard good things from friends and decided to try it. Good variety of food, good service. Could easily make this a once or twice a month night out. Next time we'll have dinner before we go to a show at the Copa next door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerDebbieVIPDined on 7/19/2014Love , love , love this place! Had so much fun! The food was really beautiful! We had the crab wedge, wow, nice splash of horseradish in the dressing. Firecracker shrimp were spicy and fresh. Caesar salad was very tasty and crisp. We also had the shrimp tacos, the shrimp were salad shrimp and soft, not a great texture , they could have been better, tasted as though they were thawed frozen shrimp tossed in a spice not really flavorful, maybe they should try a blacken shrimp they cook there. The six cookie dessert was Yummers! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go-to spotTKLADined on 7/18/2014Every time I visit the area I make it a point to stop at Tropicale. The dinner was amazing and the drinks are delicious. The waiters and staff always make it memorable.Special Features: