330 East Amado Road
Palm Springs, CA 92262Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thetropicale.com/
- Phone: (760) 866-1952
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday and Sunday Patio Brunch: 11:am to 4:pm; Daily Happy Hour (Bar and Lounge) 4:pm-7:pm, All night long Happy Hour (Bar and Lounge) Wednesday night; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5pm to 10pm, Friday & Saturday 5pm to 11pm. On Sundays nights we offer our dinner menu and also feature the best Sushi in town.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tony Di Lembo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Order wonderful Tropicale creations for any occasion. Call, place an order and we will have it ready for pick up. If you'd like to bring in your own special platters we can plate your choice of food and have them ready whenever you'd like.
- Private Party Facilities: Our wonderful patio can be rented out for private functions.
- Private Party Contact: Ranz Wienert 3238239632x
- Entertainment: Every Tuesday and Thursday starting at 5:30, it's renowned jazz musician Derrik Lewis and his trio at the keyboard.
- Special Events: Open 365 days a year. Holiday special menus offered. Please call the restaurant to inquire.
A word from The Tropicale
A chic and sophisticated décor provides the setting for our distinctive "world cuisine", a provocative mix of zesty influences that creates a delightful dining experience in Palm Springs, California. Plush high-backed semicircular banquettes surround our dining room and offer comfortable and private seating. The cuisine has a light, exotic feel with an emphasis on Pacific Rim specialties, from Chilean Sea Bass baked in Banana Leaves or Kahlua-Barbecued Pork Chops to all sorts of tasty tapas, salads, wood-fired pizzas, and desserts. The Coral Seas Lounge, a hip mid-century style bar is lined with sexy black leather bar-stools and is reminiscent of the upbeat lounges of old Palm Springs. It wraps around the dining room and leads outside to a lush, tropical, 2000 square foot dining patio where a variety of specialty cocktails and old-school favorites are mixed - an ideal place where friends gather and martinis are sipped under the starlit desert sky.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Tropicale - Best Restaurants in Palm Springs ›
The Tropicale reviews from OpenTable diners
322 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (253)vibrant bar scene (206)hot spot (199)special occasion (168)fit for foodies (161)neighborhood gem (152)good for groups (151)romantic (101)great for brunch (87)late-night find (49)notable wine list (31)great for lunch (23)scenic view (14)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Tropicale is the Mirage-in-the-DesertDinoVIPDined on 11/18/2014The Tropicale literally is an oasis in-the-desert and without exaggeration, it's Coral Seas Lounge, a watering-hole worth a visit. It is an ideal spot, time and again, for great tasting food; laughter with friends; and 'the' place to-be-seen in Palm Springs. Culinarily it is world-cuisine, from it's daily varied specials, to it's piquancy of places far-away: From dishes heavily influenced by Asia & The South Pacific ( sampling barbecued double-cut Korabuta pork chops ) to house-made egg spaghetti, and meatballs that savor all the zest of Italy. Every meal shared & celebrated here, from gourmet-topped pizzas to hand-rolled sushi ( on Sundays only ), and from a blue-crab & organic iceberg wedge salad to a mini green-apple freshly-baked pie, is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2014Great food, great service and all in a wonderful, ambient setting. A refreshing throwback to the glory days that have returned to Palm Springs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, a wonderful place to share a great mealLynnDined on 11/16/2014Brought some friends to Tropicale - one of my favorite restaurants. The brunch is terrific, ambiance is fantastic, and the service was top notch. This is a "must do" while in palmSprings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehReviewerDined on 11/15/2014Great patio. Drinks were great. Service was great. Food was mediocre.Special Features:
- TASTEFUL DININGCharmerDined on 11/15/2014Fun spot in Palm Springs. Friendly staff, tasteful decor with indoor and outside dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- palm springs gemBridgelandBradDined on 11/15/2014great outdoor patio and good food for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun EleganceLuvDiningOutVIPDined on 11/14/2014Very comfortably upscale with a trendy vibe. Beautiful decor and a bustling, but not overbearing, ambiance. The food is uniformly delicious and appealingly prepared and presented. Very friendly service, but sometimes the wait is a bit long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They are back on top!TimmerVIPDined on 11/14/2014I had a bad experience here a week ago so glad our most recent experience was awesome and please that the bad experience was an anomoly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They run a good operationDesertedVIPDined on 11/13/2014I go to Tropicale with my elderly parents on Thursdays for the live Jazz. We have very different eating habits and are all satisfied. We don't really order a lot of food or alcohol and yet are treated as if we have the highest ticket in the place. They have earned my loyalty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative food....Denverdog4Dined on 11/11/2014....but not crazy imaginative, as all the flavors blended well. Generous portions, good presentation, fish was fresh. I particulary appreciated that our waiter did not over pour the wine like so many do, trying to force you to glug it all down and order another bottle. Wait staff was attentive but not obtrusive. Absolutely no complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yeah!AwesomeVIPDined on 11/11/2014Best place to go in Palm Springs still... Fried Chicken is the best. I had the Pasta Ragu special and it was awesome .. The parpadelli noodles were homemade..also try the Effen Black Cherry Martini...awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tropical delight at Tropicale!gusfamVIPDined on 11/10/2014This was our first visit to Tropicale, and we were very pleased. We had a table on the patio, which is a delightful spot (although pretty dark - bring a flashlight to read the menu!). We decided on a light meal, so we ordered the Pupu Platter, which was plenty of food for the two of us. Add in a couple of cocktails (I had the coconut martini, which was dessert in a glass; my husband had a ginger martini which had a nice touch of spice), and it made for a lovely evening.Special Features:
- great Palm Springs OptionPartyof6Dined on 11/9/2014Great ambiance, amazing food, nice wine list, an outdoor patio like no other.... this should go on your must have list of places to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Outstanding Evening at TropicalepsguyVIPDined on 11/9/2014I brought out-of-town guests to Tropicale for a Sunday evening dinner after a long, busy Pride weekend in Palm Springs. I'm sure the staff was worn-out from the weekend but you wouldn't have known it. Service was outstanding and the food was delicious. It was so enjoyable dining outside on a beautiful night. My guests were impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experiencemushieDined on 11/8/2014Food was fabulous. Servers were friendly and attentive. Ambiance delightful. The lamb was superb tender and flavorful l I requested no potatoes and just veggies when presented they bountiful on the plate but Didn't take away from the presentation. Mushrooms barley soup was absolutely delicious and filling, which can be shared or just your meal. Would love the recipe to make at Home. My husband had the organic chicken which was moist and flavorful on a bed of veggies and julienne potaties complimenting the dish. Prices are not out of line, the decor matches their pricing and is definitely in line with other 5star restaurants. The only difference is the staff and owners are not stuffySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So too much...haydenbrowndesignVIPDined on 11/7/2014The Tropicale delivered good cocktails, good atmosphere and ambiance and wonderful food. A friend I had not seen in 5 years flew in for "Pride" and The Tropicale was first on my list of "must do when in PS". We had reservations and were seated without wait even though there were others without reservations waiting for tables; BONUS. Our server was amazing (although I can't remember her name after I had 2 fantastic Martini's). We had the Double Cut Chop and the Thai Spiced Chicken. Both were deliceous and cooked perfectly. Our only complaint was that the Thai Spiced Chicken was so spicy I was crying! I love spicy food and usually ask the server for extra spicy, but this dish blew my taste buds and left me with a "ring of fire!"Special Features:
- Great food, good timeVWbhVIPDined on 11/7/2014Even tho we were unable to get our preferred outside table, the food was great as always. We had a booth for six where we could ev n hear! Good time.Special Features:
- Always the Best!AlbertVIPDined on 11/7/2014I took two friends to The Tropicale for dinner on a bustling Friday night and had a great time. The service was excellent (although our server was busy he was attentive and anticipated our needs) as was the food (food arrived promptly and was perfectly prepared) and cocktails (Tropicale's signature cocktails are fantastric). Both my guests were "wowed" by the experience!Special Features:
- It's all about the chickenCapeCrusaderVIPDined on 11/7/2014Excellent food, environment and fun mix of folks. Must try the Southern fried chicken!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TropipridetropiprideDined on 11/7/2014We brought a friend that had just arrived for dinner on Friday of the Pride weekend knowing it would be fun and wild. It did not disappoint. Food, service ambiance were excellent. We love the pizza and all of the appetizers a well. We just never seem to get around to having a full dinner because we are always trying something on the appetizer platter. The pupu platter is perfect!Special Features:
- A fun place to dinesagewoodVIPDined on 11/7/2014Nice treat for us prior to a concert at the venue next door. The calamari appetizer is the best I have had. The fresh California Swordfish was so tasty, well seasoned and perfect. Attentive service, even though the restaurant was totally booked. Very vibrant, fun atmosphere. Wine pricing is very aggressive, however.Special Features:
- BigDaddyVIPDined on 11/6/2014Food is delicious. Went with another couple for a special occasion--my partner's birthday. Appetizers and drinks were delivered timely however entrees were slow coming out. The waiter apologized and when it came to dessert, the restaurant comped both my partner's dessert as well as sent us a plate of cookies for the table at no charge. Sweet!Special Features:
- They need a new wine pro and list.lkcguamVIPDined on 11/4/2014This was the second time in 6 months that we ordered a bottle with dinner which was bad and had to be returned. On Every visit we feel the wine list is poor and have difficulty making a decent choice. This time it was a Sauvignon Blanc which was too old and had oxidized. Do they have anyone on staff with sommelier training? Perhaps a consultant could help. The food was still good ( although the pasta special was overcooked and under seasoned) but the service was friendly and competent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/2/2014We normally come for dinner and it's fabulous, but the other day came for brunch and was so delicious. I brought the cookies home for the kids afterwards and they devoured them. Will be back next week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a blast!TKLADined on 11/1/2014We came here on Saturday night to celebrate a birthday and it was great. We come here all the time when in the city. Food was delicious but I think they changed the dressing on my favorite Chop salad. Regardless is was good. I would def recommend this spot!Special Features:
- Pricey and LoudNightOutDined on 11/1/2014The food and service were good, but for the price I would expect an experience that was a little more relaxing and enjoyable to take your time with your meal. It was very loud and it just ruined the experience. I paid for a fine dining meal, but felt like I was eating in a ruckus bar.Special Features:
- Never disappointedProJeffDined on 11/1/2014The service is consistently friendly and focused. It always feels busy with hot being overwhelming. Love it!Special Features:
- Night at TropicaledecstlDined on 10/28/2014I had been advised I should visit this restaurant. We took a friend who was also eating there for the first time. The food, service and ambiance were all excellent. The bar areas were alive and engaging.Special Features:
- christianVIPDined on 10/27/2014Very good drinks and good food make Tropicale a good choice for dinner. I liked my fried chicken however I think somehow I only got dark meat pieces and I prefer white meat. I think they should mention on the menu that the entree isn't a breast.....either that or I guess I shouldn't assume it's a breast since that's typically what restaurants serve.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Great brunch!! Really nice menu with many options although a but pricier than most restaurants. Patio is gorgeous.Special Features:
- Enjoyable meal and experiencePaulDined on 10/23/2014Definitely ask to eat on the patio; it's just a perfect ambiance. Nice selection of food; we weren't too hungry, and we found just the perfect pizza & sandwich to tide us over. Plus the cocktail menu provided something for both people in our group (one vodka lover, one rum lover.)Special Features:
- Nice placegeoootDined on 10/23/2014Good food, great service. Lovely restaurant with a nice outdoor patio. I would recommend that they up their lighting, esp. in the patio where we sat. We needed a light to read our menus, which we got by using our phones and with the help of the waitress. But when the food came, I could not see what I was eating. I know I ordered Ahi tuna which tasted very good but I could not see it. I didn't memorize the description. so I had to guess what it was. The drinks were superb also. When I return, I will ask for a better lit table.Special Features:
- Great dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014We visited Palm Springs in October for couple days - just to getaway. The very first night we had a romantic dinner at Tropicale. It was a cozy setting, tastefully decorated with nice background music, great food and perfect service. We both enjoyed it a lot. Will definitely recommend it to our family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tropicale is Top NotchLprillVIPDined on 10/19/2014My husband and I go to Palm Springs twice a year and dine primarily at Tropicale. We enjoy the ambiance, especially the option of eating outdoors or inside in a "club like" atmosphere. The menu is so varied that one night you can order pizza or sushi and the next night order an intricate entree. Besides the food being superior and consistent we are amazed at the service provided by Michael, a server who never fails to remember us. It is because of the service he provides that my husband and I never fail to have a wonderful evening at Tropicale.Special Features:
- It's always FunAsianloverDined on 10/18/2014Great Place to have a good meal and fun. The staff is particularly friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Amazing DinnerbarrygoodmanDined on 10/18/2014Tropicale is the go to for consistent food, drinks and great serviceSpecial Features:
- nice place with great atmosphereEliwaiterDined on 10/17/2014went for my birthday, everything was great the food the prices and atmosphere but we lucked out on a nice waiter. Seemed so fake, would smile and then make a face when when walking away. Didn't seem to interested, irritated or tired but everyone else was very nice and helpful. There is a bar/ club next door also very nice and fun you should check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best so far...WonderfulfunDined on 10/17/2014Palm Springs gem. Great food, atmosphere and service. (Mike Smith our waiter was wonderful) Crab salad, tuna tartar, fried chicken, calamari, pork chop were off the chart. Fabulous overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointeddisappointedpsDined on 10/17/2014Why do es open table ask if you are celebrating and the restaurant doesn't acknowledge it? We wrote that we were celebrating an anniversary. Service was very slow and we had to ask for things multiple times. Won't be back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Favorite Restaurant in Palm BeachATSguy14Dined on 10/16/2014The Tropicale has a great 1950's vibe to it. Very nice atmosphere both indoors and out. Food and drinks are excellent. Don't forget the daily happy hour from 4-7. Everyone comes here to have great food, drink and be with friends. You can feel it as soon as you enter.Special Features: